• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yoshichan said:
Hmm... need to change the way I play as a Protoss... anyone want to help?

GAME START
1. Fix ~10 workers + a Pylon away from the base, near a narrow path in case enemies are going to attack (and not vice-versa)

2. Gateway @ Pylon

3. Keep pressuring workers all the time

4. 3-4 pylons near main base

5. Build gas, Cyber Core and start spamming some Zeals

6. Research Warp Gate, build two more Gateways near the (1) Gateway

7. Use Warpgate on all Gateways and start spamming Sentries, Zeals and Stalkers

8. Upgrade Hallucination

9. Attack or wait to be attacked

Anyone :(? I'm a super scrub.

Why Hallucination? To Phoenix-scout or scare the enemy into thinking you have a large army? Personally I don't think Sentries so early is that good unless you're really good at Force Field micro. They cost too much gas, gas that could be used on more Stalkers or something. I usually start getting Sentries when my Gas somehow magically goes to like 4 digits or something. :lol

Note: I really suck at using Force Field. I don't think I've ever pulled it off correctly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sentries are always good to use up any gas you have lying around not spent on stalkers.

watervengeance said:
Why Hallucination? To Phoenix-scout or scare the enemy into thinking you have a large army? Personally I don't think Sentries so early is that good unless you're really good at Force Field micro. They cost too much gas, gas that could be used on more Stalkers or something. I usually start getting Sentries when my Gas somehow magically goes to like 4 digits or something. :lol

I definitely don't usually get Hallucination unless I know I'm going for a lot of Sentries, but on the contrary I pretty much ALWAYS at least get 1 Sentry early on to counter early rushes. One forcefield can (on most maps) block your choke and totally cock block any rush. It comes especially in handy if a Zerg does an early roach push, giving you the time you need to get an Immortal out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't think people realize how much damage sentries do.
Early forcefield (and having them start regen energy) is good too.

I don't think I've ever been Roach-rushed, which is so weird. Guess that's why I never got into the habit of making Sentries and learning how to Force Field correctly.

I will say that that I absolutely love using sentries as an attacking unit though.

Hazaro said:

Sentries own. Honestly, Stalkers suck pretty bad in comparison. Toss' anti-air is seriously lacking and Sentries give you a much better chance against mass Mutas since guardian shield reduces their damage significantly, not to mention they do a ton of damage focus firing those Mutas.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Hazaro said:
i've wanted to try an early mass sentries strat for a while now. be interesting to see how it goes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
When you start getting a good number of sentries it just gets ridiculous what you can do with forcefield.

You can segment their army into like 3 groups and lose almost no units. It's just silly.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MisterAnderson said:
Sentries own. Honestly, Stalkers suck pretty bad in comparison. Toss' anti-air is seriously lacking and Sentries give you a much better chance against mass Mutas since guardian shield reduces their damage significantly, not to mention they do a ton of damage focus firing those Mutas.

But the gas cost. Sheesh.

Yoshichan said:
What are these :(? I just did another battle, lost hard.

Chrono Boost - Ability on your Nexus that can be casted on any building to make production faster by 50%. Can be used to build units faster or upgrade faster. Absolutely essential that you learn how to use this effectively.

Assimilator - The building you use to get gas! :lol

hobart

I'm getting faster.

And I didn't even realize it until I played a couple with a race a wasn't used to (Zerg). I just feel myself looking in places I never looked at in the past... macro'ing at points I KNOW I wasn't in the past. I feel less frantic... like the game is slowing down for me (which is very pro-sports-like for anyone that follows sports). Am I getting better? Sure... but... I think I'm happier for now knowing that the little things I wasn't doing a month ago are finally falling into place for me.

mcrae

MisterAnderson said:
10 chrono boost your next 3 probes

i dont know what game you're playing, but in the few protoss games ive played chrono boost only lasts for about 1.7 probes. not the full two, and definitly not three

Deadly

Small rant: Geez I admit I'm already pretty shitty already but I just had an ally that had basically zero units by end game the only units I saw him have were 3 Thors. By the time I had mutas out he was still only making marines

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Yoshichan said:
the number represents your supply

so at 10 supply, you crono boost your nexus to create 3 probes faster

at 14 supply you create an assimilator (the protoss structure that sits on the gas geyser, allowing you to collect gas from it with your probes).

mcrae said:
i dont know what game you're playing, but in the few protoss games ive played chrono boost only lasts for about 1.7 probes. not the full two, and definitly not three
it lasts for 20 seconds, which is about 2.3 probes. so it is actually accurate to say for 3 probes, since the 3rd one gets some of the crono boost.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MisterAnderson said:
9 Pylon
10 chrono boost your next 3 probes
13 Gateway
14 Assimilator
16 Pylon

Then from here you can do any number of things. You can double Gateway build or go straight to Cyber Core as soon as your Gateway is finished and tech to Robo Facility. You want to get your second Assimilator pretty much as soon as you start building your Cyber Core.

Scouting should determine what you do next, I typically send out my Probe who creates the 9 Pylon to scout.

I wouldn't recommend doing this against Terran because you are pretty much forfeiting the game if they choose to Reaper Rush you and I always try a Reaper Rush if I know I am going up against Protoss.

mcrae said:

You should be able to use it again by the time the first chrono boost ends, which will cover all 3 probes.

Ferrio

Banned
Yoshichan said:

You play protoss, don't know chrono boost? Ability your nexus has, speeds up build/upgrade time 50%. Should be using it pretty much constantly start of the game.

barnone

Won my first match. Ever. In any RTS. Lol... I've been watching some SC2 videos lately but I still feel like a total noob. I told my opponent I was a total noob and he said he was too... then I completely steamrolled him. I think he stopped playing because he didn't perform any actions on the score screen statistics after like 15 minutes or something, while I had a bunch of marauders and siege tanks and junk queued up. Oh well, it was a glorious victory!

I was getting pretty overwhelmed with all of my resources near the end so I just surrounded his base with like 6 siege tanks then moved in with an army of about 50-60 units (mix of marines, marauders, and jet pack guys sorry I forgot their name already). Unfortunately the single Thor I made didn't make it to the battle at his base
It was more of an annihilation.. I felt really bade for proclaiming myself a noob at the beginning.

Yaweee

Scrow said:
it lasts for 20 seconds, which is about 2.3 probes. so it is actually accurate to say for 3 probes, since the 3rd one gets some of the crono boost.

I'm 100% positive that is wrong. Note that what the game calls "seconds" aren't actually in seconds as games are actually played on the Faster setting rather the "Normal" speed that durations are counted as.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
pfft, nevermind this game. I'm never going to learn it.

What's better than playing for 40 minutes and then get completely fucked in every way?

I quit. RTS isn't my thing, too late to start now etc etc etc.

Yoshichan said:
What's better than playing for 40 minutes and then get completely fucked in every way?

Pfft. I am in the same boat as you, I have yet to learn what counters what and I do fine yet if the game drags on I get steamrolled since I have no idea WTF todo. Just watch some replays, makes shit alot easier.

Yaweee said:
I'm 100% positive that is wrong. Note that what the game calls "seconds" aren't actually in seconds as games are actually played on the Faster setting rather the "Normal" speed that durations are counted as.

If the game is 2x faster than normal then the Crono effect is 4x faster than normal meaning your probes still come out 2x faster than they should by using it and its duration will end after the same progress has been made. Making something happen faster does not magically make it worse.

Ferrio

Banned
Yoshichan said:

40 minutes? My games rarely last 15 mins.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ChronicleX said:
Pfft. I am in the same boat as you, I have yet to learn what counters what and I do fine yet if the game drags on I get steamrolled since I have no idea WTF todo. Just watch some replays, makes shit alot easier.
I did watch tons of replays... of others and of myself. In super slow-mo and in normal speed. I took so many notes on paper (literally, typing everything down) and now I haven't got any more paper left.

I hate the fact that this player I just met said he was a noob, and I think he was. What the fuck does that mean I am then? asigdopdgasdipogipoasjtgipojh

Again, I give up. Some people aren't meant for these games, I'm one of them.

mcrae said:

I use two chrono boosts to boost 3 probes, I should have specified that. Not sure on the exact amount of probes per chrono, but I cast a second one right when the first wears off.

Zefah said:
I wouldn't recommend doing this against Terran because you are pretty much forfeiting the game if they choose to Reaper Rush you and I always try a Reaper Rush if I know I am going up against Protoss.

If I'm against Terran I always get a Stalker out as soon as my Cyber Core finishes.

Anyway, here's a new 1v1 map I worked on today,
shitty
map name: Sweltering Outpost (Chime in if you can come up with something cooler sounding)

aoxq91.jpg

I put white lines to indicate the line of sight blockers, since they aren't obvious in the screenshot. Does anyone know how to change the lighting? I can't find the options to do that and I want the air to look more red hot. It also still needs doodads and what not, I only added a few so far.

hobart

Yoshichan said:

lol... This isn't DOTA or HoN... haha.

Yaweee

ChronicleX said:

If the game is 2x faster than normal then the Crono effect is 4x faster than normal meaning your probes still come out 2x faster than they should by using it and its duration will end after the same progress has been made. Making something happen faster does not magically make it worse.

That wasn't my point. My point was that the durations for various things are hard to judge, and that chrono boost doesn't last two full probes.

Cheeto

watervengeance said:

Note: I really suck at using Force Field. I don't think I've ever pulled it off correctly.
Oh no an early rush is coming and I only have 2 units and they are bringing 6... oh wait I have a sentry... lets just place this one the ramp at the right time..and....*pow* now you're only fighting 2-3 units instead of 6.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
MisterAnderson said:
Anyway, here's a new 1v1 map I worked on today,
shitty
map name: Smeltering Outpost (Chime in if you can come up with something cooler sounding)

aoxq91.jpg

The Rage Lands

looks great!

ultron87

Had a 2v2 game today where my partner got killed by the Terran reaper proxy barracks rush bullshit in 3 or 4 minutes or whatever. He tried to relocate but it didn't really work out. So it was 2 vs 1.

Thankfully I ran a zealot over to the Terran's starting base and killed most of his SCVs before he loaded them into his Command Center and lifted off.

You'd think the Terran's Zerg partner would be preparing to steamroll me while I was dealing with all that mess, but not really. He eventually went for the giant ball of Mutalisks strategy. And I must say that the advice I got earlier in the thread about countering that with Phoenixes is absolutely true. They rip Mutas apart quite well.

And since the Zerg never tech switched and instead tried to beat my phoenixes with even more Mutas I was eventually able to just roll over with a group of Zealots and Stalkers and kills both their bases while my Phoenixes killed any Mutas. By the time I got over there the Terran had managed to get out a single Thor in the 15 - 20 minutes since I'd last attacked him. This didn't really help him out. Yay victory!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Chrono boost lasts 20 seconds, cuts production time down by 1/3rd.

Probe build time = 17 seconds
Chrono time = 11.33

A chrono will last the build time of a little less than two probes.

Helmholtz

Yoshichan said:

That's what I thought too when I started playing the beta ~a month ago on my friend's account. It's super discouraging to lose a bunch of games in a row. However, I'm starting to get a lot better, and now I'm winning at least 50% of my games. I recommend watching replays with commentary by people like Husky. I think they helped me a fair amount. Also make sure you play a lot of 2v2 to begin with, preferably with someone you know. Once you feel you have a decent grasp of what to build and when, and how to counter certain units, maybe attempt some 1v1.
I stopped playing for a few weeks because I was getting absolutely slaughtered over and over, but now that I'm getting a bit better I'm having an absolute blast. You definitely have to want to improve though.
Edit: Also, I didn't really get into the game until I figured out that Terran wasn't for me, and focused on Zerg. I really like Zerg, it seems a lot quicker and easier to play, at least for me anyway. Maybe try a new class if protoss isn't working out?

Psy-Phi

I do like that map from MisterAnderson (Smeltering Outpost), however I think the high yield should be in the center. Their current location is ridiculously easy to move to as a Terran, with very little risk.

But it's not my map, just a suggestion.

LaneDS

Is Smeltering even a word? How about Smoldering?

I vote Smoldering Vacation, because it's sort of what you had going, only strange!

Also, Yoshichan, don't give up. Any game like this is just going to take lots of practice. Should be a much bigger group of people to play with come the end of July, and do FFAs if you want to practice without all the pressure of losing being there (tried my first today with Zerg, people were more friendly and it gives you time to screw around).

Psy-Phi said:
I do like that map from MisterAnderson (Smeltering Outpost), however I think the high yield should be in the center. Their current location is ridiculously easy to move to as a Terran, with very little risk.

But it's not my map, just a suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback. But honestly if my opponent did that against me I'd find him (it would be easy because the towers give vision of the high yield area) and rush him before he'd make use of those minerals. He'd be giving up a much easier to defend position (the starting location) for a main base that has 2 (technically 3) ways in.

The center is meant to be the natural expansion, and while it's vulnerable to enemies dropped on the cliff/Reapers/Collosi I personally think the chokes are easier to defend (the high yield has a really wide ramp). Maybe I'm wrong though, but that's my logic in making it like that. Does anyone else agree/disagree?

LaneDS said:
Is Smeltering even a word? How about Smoldering?

I vote Smoldering Vacation, because it's sort of what you had going, only strange!

I misspelled the title (fixed it in a recent edit though) It was meant to be "Sweltering" but "Smoldering" also works, and I actually considered that/still considering it.

Meeru

Banned
Getting rank 1 is harder than I thought, especailly when your 1v1 ladder is screwed up and can't see how many pts you have. (placement bug).

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
If anyone needs a twos partner pm me. I'm ranked 11 in copper league and I want to try some twos.

Also I just made an awesome comeback in my last match. How do I export videos? I want to put it up on youtube so people can comment it.

Adent said:
If anyone needs a twos partner pm me. I'm ranked 11 in copper league and I want to try some twos.

Also I just made an awesome comeback in my last match. How do I export videos? I want to put it up on youtube so people can comment it.

Posting replays on yourtube would be a fraps/xfire thing. The replays are under the replay section. As for people to play with it might help if you tell people which version of the beta you are on and what your ingame name is before you ask again, and there is a post (OP I think) that has a list of everyones names anyway.

w3stfa11

Just got into the beta after preordering the game a couple days ago.

Played two placement matches thus far. Lost the first one to a better void ray rush than mine. Beat the second barely by pumping out zeals and stalkers using a proxy gateway. I'll probably be up late tomorrow playing it if anyone wants to join.

joga.theghost (North America)

PS Is it just me or is Terran overpowered?

w3stfa11

Trin3785 said:
I have never really played starcraft before, what are some general tips for this game?:D

Stick with one race initially. Play against the computer (create a game, choose AI) until you get a feel for the units and gameplay. Then just play, watch replays, and learn.

http://sclegacy.com/editorials/103-starcraft-ii-beta/646-starcraft-ii-ui-tips-and-tricks
http://sclegacy.com/articles/677-scl-beta-zerg-guide

Deadly said:
There's a league lower than bronze?
Copper.

Top Bottom