• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

webrunner

huh.

I try to run it and the patcher appears for half a second and then immediately disappears.

It works on my Laptop fine..

This is.. vexing.

Zen said:
That looks a little Op. He's only moving the units around the map. :lol

Phoenix's can still only attack air though, so its not as gamebreaking as everyone might now suggest. It will make them alot more useful at hunting down certain air units.

What I want to see is a dogfight of Protoss vs Protoss where both sides get Phoenix and just micro the smeg out of them to kill the other sides phoenix.

Oh snap, that's a HUGE bunch of balance changes. Some of my thoughts:

-Looks like we'll be seeing Battle Cruisers out faster now, sounds good to me.
-Mech improvements in general, which I am all for. I am not sure I see the point in making Strike Cannon on Thors an upgrade, but I definitely dig the faster ground attack speed.

-Gonna have to play to see if I agree with the Collosus damage reduction, looks like their attack speed is going to more than compensate for it so I am not too bothered by it.
-OMG FINALLY ARCHON AND PHOENIX BUFF.

-Brood Lord nerf: Awesome
-Corrupter ability change: Awesome
-At first as I was reading the Neural Parasite change (it's a research now) I was like WTF and then it said they can now target air. Good change there, I dig it.

Good patch.

Also, I made a new 4v4 map last night. If anyone could give me any feedback on it so far I'd appreciate it. (I still think it could probably use a revision in the map layout, and it also needs doodads and whatnot so it looks rather plain right now)

Tempest (8):

n6c5g4.jpg

It was designed to be 4v4 (the teams separated in groups of 2). I think it would be cool to have the sides be random, but I'd like to keep the start locations that have a neighbor to always have a friendly neighbor (in other words, is it possible to make start locations for sets of 2 consistent in team games, but randomize the sides? As in is it possible to have it be random for that map to have the possibility of being left vs. right, or top left and bottom right vs. top right and bottom left, etc., but still keeping the corners all spawning with teammates next to them?) I don't want any corners having an opponent as a neighbor if that makes sense.

cramcakes

MisterAnderson said:
Oh snap, that's a HUGE bunch of balance changes. Some of my thoughts:

Also, I made a new 4v4 map last night. If anyone could give me any feedback on it so far I'd appreciate it. (I still think it could probably use a revision in the map layout, and it also needs doodads and whatnot so it looks rather plain right now)

Tempest (8):

It was designed to be 4v4 (the teams separated in groups of 2). I think it would be cool to have the sides be random, but I'd like to keep the start locations that have a neighbor to always have a friendly neighbor (in other words, is it possible to make start locations for sets of 2 consistent in team games, but randomize the sides? As in is it possible to have it be random for that map to have the possibility of being left vs. right, or top left and bottom right vs. top right and bottom left, etc., but still keeping the corners all spawning with teammates next to them?) I don't want any corners having an opponent as a neighbor if that makes sense.

Map looks cool. Question: is there a tool to make everything mirrored or do you do it manually?

cramcakes said:
Map looks cool. Question: is there a tool to make everything mirrored or do you do it manually?

currently its manual only but everyone is begging for blizz to add some kind of mirroring feature.

cramcakes said:

It's copy and pasting, and then flipping horizontally/vertically or rotating 90 degrees. You have to be in the terrain layer (or any layer you wish to copy and paste), hit spacebar to go into selection mode, then drag and copy what you want, paste, then flip it in the edit tab.

cramcakes

Interesting. I only ever made a few maps in SC1 because I got bored after designing the first base/corner of the map. Also, Balls of steel required for the rich minerals in the middle. :lol

Also, got my code! Hopefully I have a name to post here in an hour when I get home. I started the patching process when I went home for lunch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh man I am going to have so much fun screwing around in 2v2 now.

Also it seems like a certain someone's strategy is now even more effective :)
It's mine don't worry, also lol more mass phoenix in 2v2 games

cramcakes said:
Interesting. I only ever made a few maps in SC1 because I got bored after designing the first base/corner of the map. Also, Balls of steel required for the rich minerals in the middle. :lol

Also, got my code! Hopefully I have a name to post here in an hour when I get home. I started the patching process when I went home for lunch.

Yeah I actually used to make a lot of SC1 maps but I'd never make them symmetrical because I'd also get bored after the first corner/side or whatever. And yes the center is definitely not safe and the high yield would be hard to keep, lol. I wanted the center to be pretty wide open so that large armies wouldn't have much trouble moving around, but I hadn't found a place for high yield minerals and decided to just throw them down in the center for the hell of it.

mbmonk

Anyone else have a problem with keys while watching replays?

The 'p' key doesn't pause for me and the 'e' key doesn't switch my vision to everyone. Anyone else have this problem?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
bnet still down for europe, able to get the patch but when i connect my screen spasms like a motherfucker with "failed to connect" messages :(

LaneDS

Phoenixes are now the Mutalisk Superiority Fighter. Corruptors absolutely destroy them though. Curious how Phoenixes stack up against Vikings.

Mr Cola said:
bnet still down for europe, able to get the patch but when i connect my screen spasms like a motherfucker with "failed to connect" messages :(

If you double click the messages away fast enough it will stay at the login screen without spamming. I guess bnet will be down for another 35 mins or so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LaneDS said:
Phoenixes are now the Mutalisk Superiority Fighter. Corruptors absolutely destroy them though. Curious how Phoenixes stack up against Vikings.
Vikings outrange pheonix considerably and I don't think you can get in 2 volleys per their 1 volley and get outside range so I'm going to say they are the same.

Attack while moving buff is insane. It doesn't seem you even have to be facing the proper direction or animation cancel...

It also looks really lazy :lol

Stryder

JoeMartin said:
Unless you're trying to super cheese with a 6 rax reaper rush, reapers are almost pointless to build against toss since as soon as the first stalker pops out they're effectively useless (PvT is always straight to stalkers as reapers and marauders both hardcounter zealots early).

Marauder rush (not necessarily even "rush" - 10 depo 11 rax 11 gas; this gives just enough gas to immediately start chaining marauders and have conc shell finish before the first one gets to the opponent - just be very very very aggressive with your marauders from the very first one) is insanely more effective. Deals with zealots easily, marauders in equal numbers beat stalkers - the build in general creates tons and tons of pressure for the toss player and forces him to waste chrono on stalker production. If you can get an SCV in there early to steal a gas (and halt production at 90% -> manually destroy for refund when close to die) and maybe get some zealots/stalkers off the ramp even better.
That's valuable advice, thanks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the patch is downloading extraordinarily slowly.

it says my PC is behind a firewall (true true), but SCII is on my list of exceptions.

is this normal? sorry if this has been asked a million times. I can't wait to play some (against... easy AI to start with)

edit: found the blizzard support pages like the champ I am

Des0lar

will learn eventually
My patcher didn't have any patch notes in it, and now the game says SC2_MASTER_SERVER_ERROR or something like that, when I try to search for a game.

Is my game broken :O?

scoobs

Mudkips said:
Why did they nerf the fucking seeker missile?
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
very good question, its not like it was widely used in the first place. Point defense drone is more OP than seeker missile IMO

remz

Rez said:
the patch is downloading extraordinarily slowly.

it says my PC is behind a firewall (true true), but SCII is on my list of exceptions.

is this normal? sorry if this has been asked a million times. I can't wait to play some (against... easy AI to start with)
The patches are through torrents afaik, so download speeds may vary

Yaweee

Mudkips said:
Same with the Thor ability.
No one uses it, so nerf the fuck out of it?

Makes no sense.

Nobody used it my ass. It was goddamn amazing and very likely overpowered. It wrecked the shit out of towers/CC/hatcheries/Nexuses extraordinarily quick.

As for the Seeker Missiles, people used it pretty effectively. It was basically a faster mini-nuke. The nerf comes with making it much easier to research, so it will probably see even more use now than it did before.

Won

Not needing the core for the Seeker Missle is a change I welcome with open arms, even if it's now a bit weaker.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Won said:
Not needing the core for the Seeker Missle is a change I welcome with open arms, even if it's now a bit weaker.
I disagree as a Terran player. The utility of it relied on the splash damage which has been nerfed twice now and deterrence (it would usually push back an army). Having it needing to be in 6 range means you need to be much more careful for not so much payoff.

kamspy

I am in wild and salacious love with this game now GAF.

I got past my "non competitive / like to play RTS slow" thing and am now into every aspect of the MP.

Getting my first win was great, and getting my first back-to-back streak was even better.

Playing Terran and getting killed easily by anything air, or literally anything insanely early in a match (a small pack of zerglings brought me down once. :lol).

kamspy.shallah for easy wins. I love watching the replays to see how I lost. I get more from that than I do a win, so please, come crush me. :D

webrunner

Blizz posted a point by point about the changes:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24702391969&sid=5000

A random excerpt:
Hellion- The range has been increased from 5 to 6.

This is not an actual change to the area effect of the weapon. The weapon was always range 6, but it would only acquire targets at range 5 so it would get a little bit of splash that would hit enemies behind its initial target. By making the weapon range 6 it is easier to shoot and run from enemy units. It does make the splash a little less useful if you are just using the “attack move” command.

Mudkips

Banned
Ikael said:
Because now you don't have to research it since it is a base ability?

You still have to research it at the tech lab, you just don't also need the fusion core.
(According to the patch notes, anyway.)

And it's going to get far less use. Ravens can't get in that close without getting torn to shreds. The reduced splash means it's too much risk (losing your detector) for too little reward.

And the Thor ability is shit. It doesn't do much more damage than the regular attack. The wind up and cool down animations are way too long. Couple that with the Thor's inability to go where you fucking tell it to go, and you're better off just attack moving with those fuckers and then making sure they prioritize air targets.

The ONLY use I have found for the ability is hitting Colossi or other Thors if your partner is dumb enough to only mass marines and marauders with no upgrades. Ultralisks being melee and having a smile for armor (they should get up to 8 or 9 armor, not 6) mean you don't have to worry about them for shit, damage buff or not.

Top Bottom