• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

The Thor Strike Cannons have become an upgrade to try to help out the Ultralisk, who is countered so hard by this attack that we see very few Ultralisks in Terran vs. Zerg. This is (of course) not enough to really change that relationship, but we have some more plans for the Ultralisk in the next patch.

Ultralisk- Damage has been increased from 18 to 25.
We are buffing the Ultralisk, but we don’t think this buff is sufficient. Expect more changes to the Ultralisk in the next patch.

Can't wait to see what they do to the Ultralisk!

Chris R

Any other OSX users having issues trying to quit the beta? Twice now I've had to do a hard shutdown as when I click exit it hangs (music is still playing, just nothing else happens).

Yaweee said:
My computer locked up as exiting the game, so I had to force a full restart.

The game definitely crashed, but I didn't have to restart my computer when I quit out.

A friend and I are doing pretty well for ourselves in 2v2. We both play Zerg, so we both go roaches in the beginning and do a small push if we can (normally single out protoss if we can), then split up into hydras from one guy and mutas from the other. Works pretty well, we are 3-1 in our placements so far (and the one loss was his first time ever playing).

The patch made the game seem a bit more buggy, not sure if that was just us or not, my partner dropped near the end of one of our games, fortunately we were winning at that point, so we still won.

daoster

rhfb said:
Any other OSX users having issues trying to quit the beta? Twice now I've had to do a hard shutdown as when I click exit it hangs (music is still playing, just nothing else happens).

Not just OSX, i have Win 7 and that's happening to me too.

Dynamic3

rhfb said:

Yep. For the time being just throw it in windowed mode when you exit and then force quit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
rhfb said:
vista user with this problem

also, instead of selection circles i get selection lines, that happening to anyone else?

webrunner

There was some report on battle.net forum that blizz said the current "crash on exit" is a known issue.. I can't find it right now though.

Yaweee

Dynamic3 said:
Now when I try to log in it says I need to enter my authenticator code. Problem is, I don't, and never had, an authenticator.

Your Bnet account was hacked. Maybe my a keylogger, maybe by using the same PW and email at a different site. Contact Blizzard.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yaweee said:
Your Bnet account was hacked. Maybe my a keylogger, maybe by using the same PW and email at a different site. Contact Blizzard.
Doesn't mean it's been hacked. Same thing happened to some other guy in this thread and his account was all fine and dandy.
But yeah, contact Blizzard.

webrunner

Looking over the SC2 tech forum there seems to be a large number of people reporting this tonight.

Can you log into battle.net site?

Corum

Dynamic3 said:
Now when I try to log in it says I need to enter my authenticator code. Problem is, I don't, and never had, an authenticator.

No worries, it happened to me and Blizzard sorted it quickly.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
what do the Terran use as turrets for base defense? Is it just the bunkers and you have to fill them with guys?

Yaweee

Trin3785 said:
what do the Terran use as turrets for base defense? Is it just the bunkers and you have to fill them with guys?

Well, there's the actual turrets for against air, but, yeah, bunkers. You can put Marines, Marauders, Ghosts, Reapers, or SCVs inside.

Feep

Banned
Okay, I spent a couple hours messing around.

First off, the Very Easy AI is fucking retarded. Even with my shitty skills, my final resource graph after the game shows mine increasing at a rate at least 5x his.

I'm using Protoss now, as I was told it was the easiest to learn. Regarding my "micro", what's the best way to go about this? I've been mapping the Nexus to "1" and spamming Probe and Chrono Boost. I map a single Drone to "2" and use it solely for building new structures. I map the first Gateway to "3", and then if I build a second Gateway (I do), I use Shift + 3 to add it, so I can control both at once.

It's also my understanding that sending any more than 3 probes to each Assimilator for Vespene is a waste of time, correct?

After I build Probes + Pylons + Gateway + Assimilator + Gateway (my initial order), from there, it looks like I should either expand out with a second Nexus, or maybe a Cybernetic Core so I can build units other than Zealots. Which should I build first, the Stalkers or the Sentries? What are the differences between these two units?

I then think I build a Robotics Facility to I can make an Observer to go check out what's up, and then maybe the Aircraft making facility (whatever it's called) because Void Rays seem to be fucking awesome. After this I really have no idea what to do, I usually mass my combined forces and roll down to my opponent's base and maybe fuck up his economy, I don't know.

Tips? Recommendations?

webrunner

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24702401934&pageNo=1&sid=5000#12
Found the post about the quit on exitt.

Feep said:

First off, the Very Easy AI is fucking retarded. Even with my shitty skills, my final resource graph after the game shows mine increasing at a rate at least 5x his.

So would you say that it is very easy to defeat?

Feep said:
I'm using Protoss now, as I was told it was the easiest to learn. Regarding my "micro", what's the best way to go about this? I've been mapping the Nexus to "1" and spamming Probe and Chrono Boost. I map a single Drone to "2" and use it solely for building new structures. I map the first Gateway to "3", and then if I build a second Gateway (I do), I use Shift + 3 to add it, so I can control both at once.

It's also my understanding that sending any more than 3 probes to each Assimilator for Vespene is a waste of time, correct?

After I build Probes + Pylons + Gateway + Assimilator + Gateway (my initial order), from there, it looks like I should either expand out with a second Nexus, or maybe a Cybernetic Core so I can build units other than Zealots. Which should I build first, the Stalkers or the Sentries? What are the differences between these two units?

I then think I build a Robotics Facility to I can make an Observer to go check out what's up, and then maybe the Aircraft making facility (whatever it's called) because Void Rays seem to be fucking awesome. After this I really have no idea what to do, I usually mass my combined forces and roll down to my opponent's base and maybe fuck up his economy, I don't know.

Tips? Recommendations?

You're confusing "macro" and "Micro" i think. Macro is building/economy/srategy, micro is unit control/tactics.

One of the big benefits of protoss is that they don't need to keep a probe working, they can send it right back to minerals.

Stalkers and Sentries are entirely differnet units, and actually complement each other quite well: Sentries have an ability which lets you place down a temporary force field which acts as a physical wall: enemy units must go around it or be blocked. Stalkers, being ranged units, can fire from behind it.

One thing is that you should try to get your cyber core a bit faster if your fighting terran, because you need some range to fight early terran units better than zealots (which are pure melee)

Feep said:

Blizzard is aware the AI is retarded, the only reason they are in the beta is to allow players a sandbox mode to screw around with build orders and learn the tech tree, etc. They want people playing against other humans in the beta.

Just so you know, base building/economy managing is referred to as "macro" while micromanaging your units during battle/movement is "micro." And as far as hotkeys go, it's really up to preference, I usually group all of my main production buildings/tech buildings with my Nexus to '5' that way I can chrono boost them clicking the portrait (what gives? I can't do this anymore? How do you chrono a building without physically clicking on the structure now?) I also don't have 1 idle worker standing around specifically built for building structures, I usually take one off my mineral like and shift build/shift move back to my mineral line so that he goes back to mining as soon as he's finished. Granted this is a case by case basis as I would probably have a worker idle around if I know I'm going to need him to build something soon after.

Correct.

Unless you're doing a double Gateway Zealot push because you're trying to pressure a FE or something, I would say you should pretty much always get a Cybernetics Core before you expand with your Nexus. And if you're against Terran you almost always want to get one stalker out ASAP to negate any early Reaper harass (scout for this against Terran, always). If he's clearly not going for Reapers I tend to get a Sentry first so that should they do an early Marauder push, I can block off my ramp using force field and/or use guardian shield against them.

When you reach the point where you can build a Robotics or a Stargate it is pretty much up to you to do what you think is best given what your opponent is doing. Example: if you're playing a mirror match against another Toss and you scout out a Robotics being made and his force consists of lots of Zealots and not many Stalkers or Sentries, it might be good to skip Robotics and go straight to Stargate since he is lacking anti-air units. If you ever do something like this though, it's a good idea to research Hallucination so you can scout with a hallucinated Phoenix from your Sentry(s) until you get Observers later on.

Tips? Recommendations?

Try not to always do one strategy. Scouting is the most important thing in this game and you should learn how best to react to what your opponent is doing, and the only way to get better at that is to practice. Also I noticed your build order was "Probes + Pylons + Gateway." You shouldn't be making more than 1 Pylon before your Gateway.

Feep

Banned
webrunner said:
So would you say that it is very easy to defeat?
Well...I mean...yeah, but...

>.>

webrunner said:
You're confusing "macro" and "Micro" i think. Macro is building/economy/srategy, micro is unit control/tactics.
Ah. I just sort of meant my "keyboard tactics", since getting good with shortcuts is clearly the key to a quickly moving economy.

webrunner said:
One of the big benefits of protoss is that they don't need to keep a probe working, they can send it right back to minerals.
Which is why I can use one probe to build everything. Cool.

webrunner said:
Stalkers and Sentries are entirely differnet units, and actually complement each other quite well: Sentries have an ability which lets you place down a temporary force field which acts as a physical wall: enemy units must go around it or be blocked. Stalkers, being ranged units, can fire from behind it.
So if I'm running into battle with Zealots, Stalkers, and Sentries, what's the best way to go about laying down a barrier and telling Stalkers not to go beyond it? Should I hotkey each individual type of unit to three different keys and control them that way? Because picking small units out from a quickly moving battlefield seems ridiculous.

webrunner said:
One thing is that you should try to get your cyber core a bit faster if your fighting terran, because you need some range to fight early terran units better than zealots (which are pure melee)
Gotcha.

Yaweee

Any suggestions on Zerg versus Protoss, what I should do against Mass Collosus + Stalkers? I tried Hydras and Corruptors, but every fight ended up basically a wash.

Jokey665

I played today for the first time in about half a week (my laptop really can't handle this game...) only to find I got demoted to bronze. Rank 90 in bronze, to be exact (from 40~ silver). I decided this was an opportune time to try out a new strategy. I'm 3-0 with it so far. :lol

reps! :D
http://www.multiupload.com/FCAP6QM52S

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Arthrus said:
I haven't been in here in a while, but is it possible for someone on a PC to play against someone on a Mac?

Yes. Battle.net is universal.

Yaweee said:
Any suggestions on Zerg versus Protoss, what I should do against Mass Collosus + Stalkers? I tried Hydras and Corruptors, but every fight ended up basically a wash.

I mean, I'm probably not as good as you, but I found that Brood Lords make Collosi irrelevant. I only played one game that went that long so far, but I baited some of his stalkers forward with a few roaches, away from his Collosi killed them. Then moved in with Brood Lords and focus fired his remaining stalkers and his Collosi were toast after that. It only took 3 BLs too.

Edit: Wait, are you saying that those corruptors were upgraded into Brood Lords, because wouldn't they be useless other wise (besides for their ability I guess)?

What theeeeeeee? Some of the changes in patch 11 are pretty interesting. Being mostly a zerg player I'm really interested in the corrupter and pheonix changes. Mostly I'm worried of how hard a counter the pheonix is to mutas, like really hard right? Sucks, though I guess I saw it coming, that parasite requires an upgrade now, as well as more energy :/

Of note, they say they've got ultralisk changes incoming :p

Yaweee

thestopsign said:
I mean, I'm probably not as good as you, but I found that Brood Lords make Collosi irrelevant. I only played one game that went that long so far, but I baited some of his stalkers forward with a few roaches, away from his Collosi killed them. Then moved in with Brood Lords and focus fired his remaining stalkers and his Collosi were toast after that. It only took 3 BLs too.

Edit: Wait, are you saying that those corruptors were upgraded into Brood Lords, because wouldn't they be useless other wise (besides for their ability I guess)?

Collosi count as both ground and air units as far as targeting is concerned, so air-only units can still hit them (and that includes missile turrets). So Corruptors and Broodlords are both good Zerg counters to them.

Regardless, watching the replay made it clear how effective broodlords would have been. I was trying to upgrade to them, but it had come too late.

Yaweee said:
Collosi count as both ground and air units as far as targeting is concerned, so air-only units can still hit them (and that includes missile turrets). So Corruptors and Broodlords are both good Zerg counters to them.

Regardless, watching the replay made it clear how effective broodlords would have been. I was trying to upgrade to them, but it had come too late.

Hmmm... good to know about that. Thanks.

Jokey665 said:
I played today for the first time in about half a week (my laptop really can't handle this game...) only to find I got demoted to bronze. Rank 90 in bronze, to be exact (from 40~ silver). I decided this was an opportune time to try out a new strategy. I'm 3-0 with it so far. :lol

reps! :D
http://www.multiupload.com/FCAP6QM52S

watched your replays, you won each game inside of 4 minutes!

Were these just normal ling rushes? I might be too noobish to see what you did there.

Jokey665

MrCompletely said:
watched your replays, you won each game inside of 4 minutes!

Were these just normal ling rushes? I might be too noobish to see what you did there.
Haha yeah it's a 6pool, the fastest ling rush you can do. You build your spawning pool without ever building any drones. If it fails you're completely fucked, but if it works it's a pretty guaranteed win. The first game was a test run that went surprisingly well, and the third felt like I was running a well-oiled machine. The build is so easy it's ridiculous. It's a good thing I'm only in bronze right now, though! :lol

I was actually pretty scared the second game, against the Terran. I saw the wall and the bunker and almost gave up hope, but I managed to down the depot before the marine got out, somehow.

Zertez

Yaweee said:
Mix in some infestors, and take over some of the Collusi. This will help a lot. Infestors just got nerfed a little though, so unsure how the increase in energy will hurt yet.

Jokey665

Jokey.jokey
USA
high bronze~low silver player right now.

I'm not on often right now because of my shit laptop sucking at life, but once i get my desktop up i'll be playing pretty much nonstop. For now I'm up for games whenever I'm online, just don't be surprise if I randomly leave in the middle; that's my computer overheating and forcibly shutting itself off.

Top Bottom