• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Void ray is the new immortal now?

WAAAAAHA I CAN'T BEAT MASS VOID RAYS instead of OMG IMMORTAL SO OP.

God damn this is like the WoW boards.

Haly

The Lamonster said:
Hey guys, how do I set up a custom game with spectators?
Once you invite more people than you can accommodate, spectator slots will automatically open up.

Halycon said:
Void ray is the new immortal now?

WAAAAAHA I CAN'T BEAT MASS VOID RAYS instead of OMG IMMORTAL SO OP.

God damn this is like the WoW boards.

But you can't deny that Void Rays are indeed very powerful if you're fairly new to the game. There will always be people that complain about the balance issues.

Haly

watervengeance said:
But you can't deny that Void Rays are indeed very powerful if you're fairly new to the game. There will always be people that complain about the balance issues.
I'm going to go out on a limb and blame the gamestop preorders and recent friend wave. There weren't this many complaints about the Void Ray since beta started and it's been nerfed since then.

God only knows what the release boards will be like.

Halycon said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and blame the gamestop preorders and recent friend wave. There weren't this many complaints about the Void Ray since beta started and it's been nerfed since then.

God only knows what the release boards will be like.

I wish they would just nerf EVERYTHING. Am I the only one that thinks everything dies too fast in this game compared to SC1? I don't remember building snipes being so easy to do in SC1 compared to SC2.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Haly

watervengeance said:
I wish they would just nerf EVERYTHING. Am I the only one that thinks everything dies too fast in this game compared to SC1? I don't remember building snipes being so easy to do in SC1 compared to SC2.

Maybe I'm just crazy.
It is a bit fast but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Zertez

Im having a tough time playing Zerg against higher lvl Terran players. Once the Terran player gets a MMM build with a few Thors mixed in, there is little I can do. Ive tried bombing with Banelings, but I still dont have enough to finish things off. Tried using Infestors but after the recent changes, it is tough to tech up and research everything before the army hits. Unless I go straight for Infestors and sacrifice roaches. Hydras and Mutas melt against Thors and Marines. The only way Ive found to win is build a heavily defensive base, then hope for a surprise Nydus network.

Anyone know of a solid Zerg strategy against MMM builds? Preferably fairly current after the recent patch if possible. In lower rank matches, I could get a quick econo disruption and use that to get the win; but against more skilled players, they wall up quick. I keep hearing Zerg are overpowered, but I dont see it.

Sarye

Well I finally won two matches as P in Gold. They were also two really weird games.

The first game it was PvT. I went quick immortals with sentry and zealots. I scouted and saw all 2 rax w/ tech lab so I got more stalkers. I pushed first and it was even though I didn't make it to the minerals. Pushed again, and he dropship his maud into my mineral field. At this point it was all or nothing.

We both took out each other's base. I was able to escape but i didn't have enough for nexus. He lifted his command center and we pretty much played a cat and mouse game of me trying to find his command center for a while until I finally got it in red for it to burn down. Weirdest game ever.

second game was PvZ and the guy was a jerk. My computer couldn't handle the graphics of a 4 map so I paused the game to lower the graphics. He instantly unpaused and cursed at me. So by the time I fixed everything, I was behind... so I went zealot and quick void rays after I saw he was going roaches... he didn't scout so he missed my void rays...

When I attacked his base to harrass his mineral lines, he had no air defense and the game was over after a failed attack to my minerals. I was lucky to win that game since I felt behind.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I got nydus'd today. I would've crushed him too but my entire fleet was on the other side of the map. where the f is my scroll of TOWN PROTAL!@!!!@!11

all he had was zerglings. by the time I got back there half my base was in flames.

I feel like a complete moron.

I think it would be cool if there was something like Steam Cloud in the new Battle.net, so you can access your relays, savegames and maybe also gameplay settings from different computers. I think SC2 will definitely be a game people want to play on their laptops, netbooks or at a friends' place. You can do it with something like Dropbox as well but it wouldn't be as convenient.

Chris R

close to the edge said:
I think it would be cool if there was something like Steam Cloud in the new Battle.net, so you can access your relays, savegames and maybe also gameplay settings from different computers. I think SC2 will definitely be a game people want to.play on their laptops, netbooks or at a friends' place. You can do it with something like Dropbox as well but it wouldn't be as convenient.
The replays are really small, so no real reason some form of cloud saving shouldn't come at some point. Probably won't be there at launch, but whatever!

Yaweee

I truly dislike the new system of only having one character profile per copy of the game (presumably they are keeping it from the Beta to ). I agree that something was necessary to prevent people creating new accounts to reset their W-L record and in the process wasting noobs to re-climb the ladder, as was way too common in WC3, but it would be nice to have at least one alt account to mess around with when trying a new race. Custom games, from my experience, haven't been any kind of indicator as to the types of things I'd see in rated games.

Deadly

close to the edge said:
I think it would be cool if there was something like Steam Cloud in the new Battle.net, so you can access your relays, savegames and maybe also gameplay settings from different computers. I think SC2 will definitely be a game people want to play on their laptops, netbooks or at a friends' place. You can do it with something like Dropbox as well but it wouldn't be as convenient.
You can go on you're b.net account online and download the game anytime you want.

Xyphie

close to the edge said:
I think it would be cool if there was something like Steam Cloud in the new Battle.net, so you can access your relays, savegames and maybe also gameplay settings from different computers.

Save games will be stored server side.

clav

Hazaro said:
9 supply
11/12 rax
13 gas
tech lab, mard
rax, rax
tech lab tech lab
spam mards / marines.
10 supply and 11rax fits my timing better.

the constant production of scvs is smoother than 9 supply.

Anyway, as for the nvidia problem, I'm hoping the stuttering freezing crashing issues will be settled by the time the final game releases. Remember those drivers that killed nvidia cards?

JoeMartin

Game has serious issues with closing. If I try to exit the game via ingame quit button it locks up my entire computer. The only way to close it safely is to tab out and kill the process.

Zertez

JoeMartin said:
Game has serious issues with closing. If I try to exit the game via ingame quit button it locks up my entire computer. The only way to close it safely is to tab out and kill the process.
Same here. Ive had to end process every time I try to log out since last night.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm sorry, but after 8 losses I couldn't handle it anymore.

I started Zerg-rushing and I've won 4 times in a row now.

JoeMartin

Hazaro said:
9 supply
11/12 rax
13 gas
tech lab, mard
rax, rax
tech lab tech lab
spam mards / marines.

The I'M ALL ABOUT THAT Marauder Opening:

10 Supply Depot - that is, rally the 9th SCV coming out to exactly where you're gonna drop the depot, it'll get there just as you get 100 minerals.

<another scv to 11 food while this is constructing>

11 Barracks - usually I use the same SCV that finished the depot to immediately start the rax, as they're usually placed near each other; again you should be landing right on 150 minerals as the depot finishes.
11 Refinery - hold SCV production until you get your first refinery down; it is important to get the gas down asap and to get 3/3 SCV's on it as this will land you at 28 gas as the rax finishes allowing you to immediately lay down a tech lab.

<3 more SCVs while rax/refinery are constructing getting you to 14/19 food>

14 Tech Lab - Like I said earlier, you'll land on 28 gas as soon as the rax finishes if timed well, allowing you to immediately tech lab.
14 Orbital Command - depending on your timing you may have to wait a few seconds for your 14 SCV to finish even after the rax is done, but it shouldn't affect you too much. By the time you hit 14 food you should be at around 200m/30g, allowing you to both tech lab and orbital command immediately.

<once the tech lab is done you'll have enough minerals and gas to immediately start marauder production; you'll hit enough gas roughly half way through your first marauder to research Concussive Shells as well as queue up a second marauder shortly before the first finishes; as you continue SCV production your economy will ramp up to the point that you can get a second rax down and supporting continual marauder production as well - remember to keep build depots as supply capping yourself will severly hinder the build's viability in early aggression>

From here you can take the build where you want it. When you want to get the second gas/make more raxes/start into factory and/or starport is entirely up to you and where you want to take your build.

Aesthet1c

Should I feel bad for winning with a 10 pool zergling rush? I usually send out 6 lings as soon as my pool is done to harass, and I feel like they should have something to defend by that time... however sometimes they don't and I just demolish their workers and win the game... normally I would be excited, but I can't help but feel a little dirty for doing it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
JoeMartin said:

Same here. I never had problems before the most recent patch, though.

watership

Got my beta code, installed, and now i'm some sort of weird patch loop. It patches, then starts again, strange gong, finishes and starts again.

Anyone have this?

LaneDS

Aesthet1c said:
Should I feel bad for winning with a 10 pool zergling rush? I usually send out 6 lings as soon as my pool is done to harass, and I feel like they should have something to defend by that time... however sometimes they don't and I just demolish their workers and win the game... normally I would be excited, but I can't help but feel a little dirty for doing it.

Don't feel bad. But try to make sure you've got other tricks in your hat, because good players will of course shut that down. You might be frustrating people with that tactic, but they've got to learn by failing, same as everyone else.

Zertez

Aesthet1c said:
Dont feel bad at all. Early harassment is about only advantage Zerg in the initial stages. Terrans will block off their base, reaper rush or use the mmm ball. Protoss will chrono zealots or use a cheese pylon cannon push. After you move up, you wont win many games with the initial rush, but it will harass their economy. Disrupting the economy is a key to winning with any race. You will have to use different tactics later, but you will have your harassment skills polished some.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
LaneDS said:
Don't feel bad. But try to make sure you've got other tricks in your hat, because good players will of course shut that down. You might be frustrating people with that tactic, but they've got to learn by failing, same as everyone else.
Yep. I use to Void Ray rush to win all the time when I first started the beta. Had to learn how to play SC2 after I kept on losing after winning so many times.

Yaweee

After tons and tons of losses today as Zerg or Protoss, I win my first game as Terran against a Plat player by sneaking Battlecruisers (and a nuke for good measure) =)

Protoss really have a lot of difficulty against BCs. Phoenixes aren't that good (2x (5 damage - 3 base armor of BCs)), Void Rays make fantastic Yamato targets, stalkers fall prey to the Marauder backbone, and both Immortals or Collosi (the two Protoss go-to units against Terran) get torn to shit by BCs.

Meteorain

Well just got my beta key (EU). I'll be on as Meteorain.sunfang, so if you see me then give me a shout.

Not played SC in a while, and this seems different so here's to losing a lot as I learn the strats and what not. Any suggestions on where I can do a bit of research for strats? I'll probably be maining as Toss, they were always my fav.

Ok from what I've played so far I'm going for

Probes to 9/10
Pylon
Probes to 10/10
2 Probes (Chronoboost)
Gateway + 2 Probes (Chrono)
Zealots
Gateway
Cyber
2 Probes
Forge + Assim + Pylon
Probes until 20 of em
Zealots + Immortals + Collosus

From there I'll just see where the game takes me.

Aesthet1c said:

My problem is that I don't know how to wall off correctly at all (as a Protoss). If I completely wall myself off, then I give up map control and trap myself inside the base while the zerg multiexpands.

If I don't wall myself off completely, then zergs just run right through.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
watervengeance said:
My problem is that I don't know how to wall off correctly at all (as a Protoss). If I completely wall myself off, then I give up map control and trap myself inside the base while the zerg multiexpands.

Make a narrow choke at ramp and hold units to block off for a zerg rush.

Remember hold!

IE:
NOT THIS
sc2nohold.gif

:(

robochimp

watership said:
Got my beta code, installed, and now i'm some sort of weird patch loop. It patches, then starts again, strange gong, finishes and starts again.

Anyone have this?

Its downloading each patch, if you pay attention you'll see the version number changing

iamblades

Aesthet1c said:

Definitely not.

First of all, a 10 pool isn't even really a rush, its just a slightly faster build than standard.

Secondly, its not hard at all to defend against rushes, I think I've lost straight out to a rush maybe once, and I'm not even that good(plus I always use macro heavy openers instead of rush opens), and in that case it was just because I had to wall in with a depot on that map and he managed to kill the depot with the rush which supply capped me so my marine couldn't pop. Otherwise, you might lose a couple workers and some mining time to the rush, but it's nearly impossible to lose to a rush straight out. Rushes are all about economic and psychological damage. I mean hell, workers by themselves can take care of 6 lings with only 2-3 lost workers(if that, workers in SC2 eat lings for breakfast), which mean you are likely still ahead economically depending on how early the pool was, if it was a 6 pool you should counterattack asap and pick up a free win. :)

The only time I've felt guilty about beating someone I mentioned early in the thread. Phoenix rushing on scrap station and killing their queen and all their OLs. Even that was mostly because I had basically no ground army to end the game in a timely manner, even though it was really over anyway, so I was kinda worried they'd take it as me taunting them, when really, I just had no units to take out their ground army. Hell if they would've baseraced me as soon as their queen dropped and managed to get past my 3 zealots and 2 sentries(which would have been likely as they had a couple hydras and a bunch of lings already) at my ramp, they probably would have won, cause i had nothing that could kill buildings.

:lol :lol

iamblades

Yaweee said:
After tons and tons of losses today as Zerg or Protoss, I win my first game as Terran against a Plat player by sneaking Battlecruisers (and a nuke for good measure) =)

Protoss really have a lot of difficulty against BCs. Phoenixes aren't that good (2x (5 damage - 3 base armor of BCs)), Void Rays make fantastic Yamato targets, stalkers fall prey to the Marauder backbone, and both Immortals or Collosi (the two Protoss go-to units against Terran) get torn to shit by BCs.

High templar are the protoss counter to terran air. Feedback and psi storm rock.

Use stalkers with blink(or void rays if they have heavy marauders for ground, but you need a bunch of them, even with HT backup) for the majority of your army and remember to keep sentries in there for guardian shield. It doesn't do as much against BC shots as muta glaives or something, but every little bit helps.

Protoss has viable solutions for pretty much everything in the game, its just that generally the protoss solution is a bit more micro intensive and requires more finely tuned unit balance in your army.

I've been frustrated by void rays a couple times as a new terran player, but it's because I did a poor job scouting. It's very easy to counter early void ray spam with mmm ball, stim, and a couple vikings. Really, if you're not at the pro level and you're complaining about specific imba units, then the game is just too hard for you. You can always play better, even if there are real balance issues. For the record, I think void rays are fine how they are.

watervengeance said:

If you build your buildings around your ore blocking in your probes and not your base you can defend yourself from a zerg rush quite easily. Even if they arrive before you can get a stalker out your probes are untouchable giving you the breathing space you need.

The above is mainly a counter to a 6 pool rush though and does not work on some maps due to the ore not being close enough to the maps/lands edge.

scoobs

So its pretty cool that i'm rank 50 in silver and 100% of the game i play my opponent is favored. And about 50% of those matches are against platinum players for some reason! Fun!

Kagami

scoobs said:
So its pretty cool that i'm rank 50 in silver and 100% of the game i play my opponent is favored. And about 50% of those matches are against platinum players for some reason! Fun!
I get the feeling the total number of players playing ladder matches is just too small right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JoeMartin said:
The I'M ALL ABOUT THAT Marauder Opening:

10 Supply Depot - that is, rally the 9th SCV coming out to exactly where you're gonna drop the depot, it'll get there just as you get 100 minerals.

<another scv to 11 food while this is constructing>

11 Barracks - usually I use the same SCV that finished the depot to immediately start the rax, as they're usually placed near each other; again you should be landing right on 150 minerals as the depot finishes.
11 Refinery - hold SCV production until you get your first refinery down; it is important to get the gas down asap and to get 3/3 SCV's on it as this will land you at 28 gas as the rax finishes allowing you to immediately lay down a tech lab.

<3 more SCVs while rax/refinery are constructing getting you to 14/19 food>

14 Tech Lab - Like I said earlier, you'll land on 28 gas as soon as the rax finishes if timed well, allowing you to immediately tech lab.
14 Orbital Command - depending on your timing you may have to wait a few seconds for your 14 SCV to finish even after the rax is done, but it shouldn't affect you too much. By the time you hit 14 food you should be at around 200m/30g, allowing you to both tech lab and orbital command immediately.

<once the tech lab is done you'll have enough minerals and gas to immediately start marauder production; you'll hit enough gas roughly half way through your first marauder to research Concussive Shells as well as queue up a second marauder shortly before the first finishes; as you continue SCV production your economy will ramp up to the point that you can get a second rax down and supporting continual marauder production as well - remember to keep build depots as supply capping yourself will severly hinder the build's viability in early aggression>

From here you can take the build where you want it. When you want to get the second gas/make more raxes/start into factory and/or starport is entirely up to you and where you want to take your build.
That's a bit better outlined.

I get my gas when the rax is around 30% finished and it ends up very well, OB after I get gas since I have nothing to spend my money on.

I always forget to include the OB when I list BO's off the top of my head.
I also usually don't get a reactor since I want to get the gas for stim earlier and instead just plop down another barracks.
scoobs said:
I love not being favored. You lose a lot less points and get to see some good play. Plus if you win and see they were a lot higher than you it feels nice. Plus you get like 29 points.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If anyone else is really shit at this game and just wants to play 1v1 and laugh at how bad we are. Let me know and all me, id should be evl.evlcookie . I mean bad though :lol

cramcakes

evlcookie said:
If anyone else is really shit at this game and just wants to play 1v1 and laugh at how bad we are. Let me know and all me, id should be evl.evlcookie . I mean bad though :lol

I'm pretty bad. I'll add you.

edit: Lost 3 2v2 in a row. Could've won the first one. Got cheesed (proxy cannons) the second one. The third one was probably the best matched, but I never made enough units, just kept crashing them against the front door until we were overrun by voidrays.

In 1v1, I ended up in bronze rank 41 after placement matches. 2 wins and 3 losses.

scoobs

I have a weird thing happening right now... i cant exit the beta without the program getting a [not responding] error. If i wanna quit i have to ctrl+alt+delete or else it just sits frozen forever. thats fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
evlcookie said:
I am embarrassingly bad in every way. I will add you when I get on later tonight.

iamblades

watervengeance said:

You should have a stalker or sentry out by the time the zerglings get there unless they 6 pool, and if they do that, just use workers to kill them if you have to, you will still end up ahead in economy, even if they take out 3-4 probes. I build my gateways up by my nexus so as soon as my zealot pops he can join the fight if i get rushed.

I only wall in as protoss when I go for a forge fast expand, which is almost never:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MmopilXKVo

Top Bottom