• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zzoram

FoxSpirit said:
TvT, what's a good answer to the bio ball?? Except "have a bigger one" :lol

Siege Tanks. Make a ball + ~4-6 siege tanks. 1 volley from even 2 tanks will kill a huge clump of marines.

mbmonk

Wow. I just looked up how the Immortal is effected w/ EMP. Damn.. not only does the EMP remove his shields, but by doing that, it also removes his "hardend shield" as well.

This 1 spell is an AOE damage spell, shows cloaked units, removes casting abilties, makes immmortals mortal again. It's pretty crazy the utility that this spell has. I must be missing something because as Terran I would have ghosts by default :lol

Des0lar

will learn eventually
FoxSpirit said:
4-5 Tanks will blow the living shit out of Marines and Marauders. Have your units in front of your tanks to soak up the damage and the battle will quickly be decided.

FoxSpirit

Zzoram said:
Siege Tanks. Make a ball + ~4-6 siege tanks. 1 volley from even 2 tanks will kill a huge clump of marines.

Yeah, the problem is guess what the other guy will also bring to the fight. :lol

Maybe an early Hellion harass would achieve something. Gah, that MMM thing is just so good. >.<

mbmonk

Hazaro said:
You need to have a few stalkers (or an immortal) in there plinking away while your zealots are taking the brunt of the damage. You'll have to dance them in and out of range as the T player tries to target fire them.

I am afraid that the Terran player will see that there is a heavier zealot mix and instead of focus firing on the stalkers, they will just start kiting the zealots. At that point the zealots are being neutralized AND he is moving out of range from the Stalkers (Which there are a lot less of so even if the stalkers do get free hit's it's not that big a deal compared to the zealots). If the Terran player does that then I am SOL it seems.

Of course this is all theory and with my lack of skill and understanding is probably the greatest hinderence.

Hazaro said:
For damage I am only talking about Zealots. Like you said a stalker dies in 5 hits to a mard with no shields (remember stalkers and zealots both have 1 armor).

Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot about that.

Hazaro said:
That's about as much as I can try to help you from a Terran players perspective.
From my viewpoint if my initial push doesn't work and P has his expo up it's an uphill fight for me. You want to be holding off the T push, delaying and dacing and using zealots as a meat shield over the entire course of the map to buy you that extra 30-60seconds to get your first immortal or 2 out while you tech and get your expo kicking in the extra gas.

I really appreciate your help. You already have saved me at least 1 loss by pointing out the FF issue.

Maybe I need to play defensive early and try to get that expo like you said. And just get an observer so I can still scout him, w/o having to be overly aggressive, and not get surprised by banshees while I am building zealots :)

Cru Jones

iamblades said:
4) against a terran ground army, you definitely want to go with a robo heavy build. lots of immortals and colossi, with gateway units and immortals out in front of the colossus to be the meatshield. Make sure you use the sentry's guardian shield ability, it reduces ranged damage against all units inside the shield, and since all terran attacks are ranged, it is really useful. Also research and use charge(this one is an autocast ability once every 10 secs) if you have a bunch of zealots, it makes your zealots 100x more useful vs terran, and since you are going to have extra minerals to blow on them with a robo heavy build, you might as well get some use out of them. Blink might be useful as well if you have enough stalkers. Note that protoss have a lot of spells they can cast, so you want to plan your army composition/hotkey grouping accordingly. I generally hotkey my whole army to one button and hotkey just the sentries on the next button so I can switch over and pop guardian shield or lay down some forcefield(not as much against terran), if I go stalker blink I make a third group just for them. Also since you have 2-3 robo facilities, you should make a couple observers and put em on scouting patrols in key areas of the map.

You can just hit tab with all units selected to cycle through the different casting abilities offered by everyone in your one group

Meeru

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
TvT is never about a bio army. Tanks, vikings, banshees..its really the most stressful kind of game you will have

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
On my road to my first win, i was really doing well then, as i was expanding and he was almost crumbled he sent out two Dark templars and because this is like my third game i had no idea what was going on, no idea where they were, no idea how to uncloak them and because my natural resources were so low he killed 2 expansions and moved into my main and well...shit

Someone hold me

Mr Cola said:
On my road to my first win, i was really doing well then, as i was expanding and he was almost crumbled he sent out two Dark templars and because this is like my third game i had no idea what was going on, no idea where they were, no idea how to uncloak them and because my natural resources were so low he killed 2 expansions and moved into my main and well...shit

Someone hold me

In Protoss vs Protoss you really should get some cannons the second you get some spare ore to prevent that from happening. The other alternative if they do not have cannons up themself is to beat them too it as without observers or cannons there is nothing protoss can do to stop them (and that is why you want a cuddle :lol )

Sarye

so after playing extensively yesterday, I'm still having trouble PvT. I just cannot for the life of me stop the first MM rush. I think my issues is not having enough meatshields (e.g. zealots) and focusing too much on teching up to Immortals/Colosi and sacrificing my unit size. I'm also having issues using the sentry correctly.

I'm also terrible at the Macroing and I think ultimately that's what i need to focus on. My eco stats is always last compared to everyone else.

Time to review my replays =(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
claviertekky said:
Anyone here have a Nvidia card? I've been having trouble with this game that I can only run it on low settings without crashes/freezes. I don't have issues with an ATi card.

Nvidia + Blizzard needs to fix their shit ASAP.

Nvidia forums has a small thread here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=167862

Trying to run it on a 9800 GT 1GB card smoothly.

My 8800GT runs the game great. No problems here at all.

I should note that I am also not using the latest drivers. I'm a few revs behind, 190.xx something or other I think. I was going to update them but I'm not having problems so I'm just going to leave it alone for now.

Meeru

Banned
Sarye said:
so after playing extensively yesterday, I'm still having trouble PvT. I just cannot for the life of me stop the first MM rush. I think my issues is not having enough meatshields (e.g. zealots) and focusing too much on teching up to Immortals/Colosi and sacrificing my unit size. I'm also having issues using the sentry correctly.

I'm also terrible at the Macroing and I think ultimately that's what i need to focus on. My eco stats is always last compared to everyone else.

Make void rays. Those ships are so annoying

Kinyou

Des0lar said:
Just had an EPIC game TvT. I'm in bronze league, so don't expect some uber micro, but well, this was probably the most awesome game I had.

My enemy knew exactly what he was doing, and nearly killed me off, but when his tactic failed, he was clueless. Sitting on 8000 minerals in the end :lol

Uploaded my epic recovery here: http://www.mediafire.com/?0yz5czlwyz4

Would be glad if someone actually watched it and gave me some input in how to improve myself :D

Nice game there with the double cheese in the beginning :lol .

Your enemy made some weird mistakes though, for example he was supply blocked for over 2 minutes without noticing...

I noticed 2 things you could've done better.
1. You didn't research concussion shells early enough, which would have given you a huge advantage over his few marines.
2. You also didn't load up your SCVs into the Command Center while escaping.

Sarye said:
if I make void rays, won't that sacrifice robo? or are you saying to skip robo and go air

You'll be skipping robo. I mean, you'll still want one at some point to get observers. But yeah, go stargate instead and go harrass his mineral line.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Mengy said:
My 8800GT runs the game great. No problems here at all.

I should note that I am also not using the latest drivers. I'm a few revs behind, 190.xx something or other I think. I was going to update them but I'm not having problems so I'm just going to leave it alone for now.
My 8800 GT runs fine too. Loud but fine :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, I'm having trouble against 6-minute-Hellion-rushes as a Terran... I send a scout over there, notice how he's starting with Hellions... what do I do?

Reapers? No.
Marines? lol.
Marauders? No.
Thor? Way too early in the game.

Help!

Ferrio

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Hey guys, I'm having trouble against 6-minute-Hellion-rushes as a Terran... I send a scout over there, notice how he's starting with Hellions... what do I do?

Reapers? No.
Marines? lol.
Marauders? No.

Help!

Not a terran player, but I'm sure marauders would take them out without much issue.

edit; Also as the guy says below you should easily be walled off by then.

Yaweee

Yoshichan said:

Reapers? No.
Marines? lol.
Marauders? No.

Help!

Are you walled off? They shouldn't be able to get into your base as their damage against buildings is utter horseshit, while anything in a bunker mows them down.

Cru Jones

Sarye said:

Use sentries to only let in 1/3 of his force into your base at a time and block out the other 2/3 and systematically take out his forces that way.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Corran Horn said:
My 8800 GT runs fine too. Loud but fine :lol

Oh yeah, the fan on mine is loud too. I also have to use RiveTuner to manually set the fan speed up to 50% because the Nvidia drivers will just let it overheat on it's own.

But other than that it runs fine...:D

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Watching Nazgul play atm makes me wish I was that good as protoss lol.
Constant stream of units being created, perfect force fields, and psi storms done right etc.

nUAFoEhTUzw5.jpg

Just had my first win in a rated match, yeah! It was PvT, me being Protoss. I basically copied the strategy of a dude I played against (building 3 rax early on, massing Zealots, after that didn't work, I added Void Rays and Stalkers). Still 3 placement matches to go.

Psy-Phi

mbmonk said:
Wow. I just looked up how the Immortal is effected w/ EMP. Damn.. not only does the EMP remove his shields, but by doing that, it also removes his "hardend shield" as well.

This 1 spell is an AOE damage spell, shows cloaked units, removes casting abilties, makes immmortals mortal again. It's pretty crazy the utility that this spell has. I must be missing something because as Terran I would have ghosts by default :lol
I just began toying with Ghosts. They're quick to get, no need for a Factory prior to building them, and quite devestating in an early rush, sneaking them in during the big fight and launching nukes.

Didn't know that EMP decloaked units, will ahve to try ghosts out on the next toss player that tries to use DT on me.

-COOLIO- said:
the gtx260 shooould be able to max out the game though right? it's a card i was thinking of getting.

No, unless you don't mind not getting constant FPS. At ultra (max) the FPS dips to below 30 in large army battles with a mothership involved. If you want to keep 40-60fps constantly regardless of whats going on, dip it to high.

Ultra settings in game say they're for GPU's with 1GB of memory. The GTX 260 216core I have has 896...and it definitley shows on Ultra. It's fine on High though. This is on a Q9550 @ 3.2GHz.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Psy-Phi said:
No, unless you don't mind not getting constant FPS. At ultra (max) the FPS dips to below 30 in large army battles with a mothership involved. If you want to keep 40-60fps constantly regardless of whats going on, dip it to high.

Ultra settings in game say they're for GPU's with 1GB of memory. The GTX 260 216core I have has 896...and it definitley shows on Ultra. It's fine on High though. This is on a Q9550 @ 3.2GHz.

hmmmm i see

Top Bottom