• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Micromegas said:
I guess maybe change your password, just in case. Can always change it back if this is all just nothing.

See, I didn't know my password. I had it reset just so I could login. That's why I don't think it's a scam.

LaneDS said:
Went back and watched this from two years ago just now:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/protoss-demo-starcraft-ii/31802

Crazy how different the game looks in such a short period of time. Also, had no idea about the Immortal shields (or rather, totally forgot). Is that part (about them having special shields for hard hitting attacks) still true? Going to have to mess with that later on.

Pretty hilarious how slow everything looks in that video (especially the Phoenixes with their equally hilariously broken looking overload ability). Also laughed considerably at how ridiculous the mothership was back then (especially considering how not ridiculous it is now).

It really does not look that different though. And the speed is controllable, you can get that speed by putting the game at the slowest speed. The Terrans look noticably different with the new paintjob

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
LaneDS said:
Crazy how different the game looks in such a short period of time. Also, had no idea about the Immortal shields (or rather, totally forgot). Is that part (about them having special shields for hard hitting attacks) still true? Going to have to mess with that later on.

Yes. Anytime an Immortal has his normal shields up, attacks will be knocked down to 10 damage. That's one of the reasons that Immortals are such a hard counter to Terran mech.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
LaneDS said:
Went back and watched this from two years ago just now:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/protoss-demo-starcraft-ii/31802

Pretty hilarious how slow everything looks in that video (especially the Phoenixes with their equally hilariously broken looking overload ability). Also laughed considerably at how ridiculous the mothership was back then (especially considering how not ridiculous it is now).
Poor mothership

JBaird

Banned
IZZO said:
I just got me a beta code and installed the game.

now, where do I start?

any good tips. :p

Push play?

On a side note either I've become really good with the toss or all the players I am playing suck. I'm pretty close to a 10 game win streak.

IZZO

Neo Member
JBaird said:
Push play?

On a side note either I've become really good with the toss or all the players I am playing suck. I'm pretty close to a 10 game win streak.
:p
I meant is there any guide or tutorial to help me learn the basics?

LaneDS

momolicious said:
It really does not look that different though. And the speed is controllable, you can get that speed by putting the game at the slowest speed. The Terrans look noticably different with the new paintjob

I mean, it's still clearly SC2, but there are tons of model and effect changes seen there. And certain units (the Phoenix in particular) are definitely a lot slower, even if they were running the game on a slower settings.

ZealousD said:
Yes. Anytime an Immortal has his normal shields up, attacks will be knocked down to 10 damage. That's one of the reasons that Immortals are such a hard counter to Terran mech.

Didn't know that. Was pretty much using them for their bonus damage to armored units, but that is of course a pretty awesome bit to know.

Kinyou

Just won my fifth game i a row, everytime against an opponent who was favored...

When the hell do i get out of that ugly copper league?

Instro

Playing much better today, rattled off 3 solid wins in a row against favored opponents. Should be 4 but one guy lagged the game out somehow right just before I was going to destroy him, which was pretty annoying.

Btw what does the Bonus Pool thing mean in your rank?

Yaweee

Instro said:
Playing much better today, rattled off 3 solid wins in a row against favored opponents. Should be 4 but one guy lagged the game out somehow right just before I was going to destroy him, which was pretty annoying.

Btw what does the Bonus Pool thing mean in your rank?

Bonus points are extra rating points that will get added to your rating for that ladder next time you win. You get one extra point every 2~3 hours or so. It is basically like the rested EXP system in WoW.

Zinthar

Yaweee said:
Bonus points are extra rating points that will get added to your rating for that ladder next time you win. You get one extra point every 2~3 hours or so. It is basically like the rested EXP system in WoW.

Why would they want to do that in SC2? Doesn't that mean that if you haven't played in a few days and you have a large bonus, then when you win and get the bonus your rating will be too high and then you'll be paired with better players who are more likely to kick your ass?

I'm loving SC2, but actually never played the original (used to play a ton of Age of Empires II though) -- still getting my ass handed to me most of the time, but it's getting much more fun now that I'm starting to grasp the basics of some strategies.

Yaweee

Zinthar said:
Why would they want to do that in SC2? Doesn't that mean that if you haven't played in a few days and you have a large bonus, then when you win and get the bonus your rating will be too high and then you'll be paired with better players who are more likely to kick your ass?

I'm loving SC2, but actually never played the original (used to play a ton of Age of Empires II though) -- still getting my ass handed to me most of the time, but it's getting much more fun now that I'm starting to grasp the basics of some strategies.

As far as I can tell, the bonus is only to your actual league rating, and not your hidden Matchmaking rating, so it will have no influence on who you play.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kinyou said:
Just won my fifth game i a row, everytime against an opponent who was favored...

When the hell do i get out of that ugly copper league?
Soon / Play well in 10 games.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124235
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat
TLIUSRo4Update.png

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124235
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like how in Game 1 Slush just said "fuck it" and made a ton of roaches.

And it worked.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Halycon said:
I like how in Game 1 Slush just said "fuck it" and made a ton of roaches.

And it worked.
It was a good transition since he probably had around 30 larva sitting around, 27 second build time + mostly minerals + 1 food count = spam them. He already had speed and burrow vs a not so heavy marauder force. Good defense by Louder.

Now it is Louder 1-0 Huk

Some good TvP

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
2 stupid questions.

1) The green line that you see players use for issuing multiple commands for a probe, like to build 3 buildings in a row. How do you do that?

2) with the protoss game there's the option to increase production on a building, it costs 25 - something - what's that something? I can't see it anywhere on my UI :lol

Yaweee

evlcookie said:
2 stupid questions.

1) The green line that you see players use for issuing multiple commands for a probe, like to build 3 buildings in a row. How do you do that?

2) with the protoss game there's the option to increase production on a building, it costs 25 - something - what's that something? I can't see it anywhere on my UI :lol

Chrono Boost is an ability from your Nexus.

just select and build buildings while holding down shift to queue up multiple. It will show their outlines in green, and the bath your scv will follow (roughly).

It took ~30 losses with a 25% win ratio, but I finally got bumped down to Gold! Hurray!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys! What the FUCK is going on? Trying to play with my cousin right now and it's SUPER lagy for both of us. Anyone else?

Ashhong

fucking blizzard and its matchmaking. how is this "teams even"? 1 bronze & 1 unranked vs 2 platinum partners?

its pretty annoying when they lie about their league too. other team asked us what rank we are, and then they say they are copper. fuck you

For some reason every time I exit the game it freezes at the menu screen with the planet but the music keeps playing. The only way out is to ctrl alt del and terminate the application from the task manager (it is "not responding")

Yaweee

Ashhong said:
fucking blizzard and its matchmaking. how is this "teams even"? 1 bronze & 1 unranked vs 2 platinum partners?

its pretty annoying when they lie about their league too. other team asked us what rank we are, and then they say they are copper. fuck you

Though they're fuckers for lying, matchmaking is determined by some hidden Matchmaking rating (MMR) as far as I know, so the platinum players might have been placed there but actually be sucking and have a low MMR, or the bronze/unranked people might be on their way up. Playing higher leagues consistently is normally a good sign that you'll be getting bumped up soon, while the converse is also true.

JDSN

Banned
I just downloaded the beta and I cant go beyond the start up screen cos the screen goes black every couple of seconds.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
MisterAnderson said:
For some reason every time I exit the game it freezes at the menu screen with the planet but the music keeps playing. The only way out is to ctrl alt del and terminate the application from the task manager (it is "not responding")

Same here. Has been happening since Patch 11

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ahoyhoy said:
Just realized: what's stopping these players from watching the stream on another computer while playing?
Extremely harsh penalties which ban them from basically every tournament for a year or two.

Otherwise nothing.

Top Bottom