• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I just got rolled :lol

I seriously have no idea what i'm doing or what's going on. I'm playing protoss at the moment, i guess cause they look cool and i haven't played the original in many many many years so i have no preference.

Need to watch more replays or something.

Zertez

Is Zerg versus Terran just a bad match up right now? Im playing Zerg and unless I play someone with less skill or play a very good micro, I get rolled by Marauders and Marines. My economy is solid and I do my best to build up a some defensive force for the push, but still I cant fight it off. I have gone back and watched the replays, but unsure how to take Marauders down early on. Minerals and gas are not really an issue, but I cant produce larva fast enough with the queens spray.

Ive tried using banelings/zerlings, roaches/zerlings, hydra/zerg, muta and I just get rolled. Against Protoss and other Zerg players I hold my own, but I just cant seem to crack the Terran wall in with a Marine/Marauder build. Any suggestions on how to stop an early push by MM?

Zertez said:
Is Zerg versus Terran just a bad match up right now? Im playing Zerg and unless I play someone with less skill or play a very good micro, I get rolled by Marauders and Marines. My economy is solid and I do my best to build up a some defensive force for the push, but still I cant fight it off. I have gone back and watched the replays, but unsure how to take Marauders down early on. Minerals and gas are not really an issue, but I cant produce larva fast enough with the queens spray.

Ive tried using banelings/zerlings, roaches/zerlings, hydra/zerg, muta and I just get rolled. Against Protoss and other Zerg players I hold my own, but I just cant seem to crack the Terran wall in with a Marine/Marauder build. Any suggestions on how to stop an early push by MM?

got the same problem. tried a fast zergling, baneling and muta build but never have enough forces to defend the push

zoukka

Mutas really don't work that well against MM ball. The terran can just move to mass marines for a while and stim mutas out of the sky. Hydras and speedlings/roaches are the answer.

For me it's always been about speedlings early on. I know that roaches are more safe, but speedlings give you map control like nothing else. If the ball moves out, then you just move to his base.

Oh and the melee upgrade is amazing. Always remember to destroy the rocks in levels that have them.

iamblades

Zertez said:

Banelings are key, but you have to use them effectively, which against marauders means either burrowed or dropped. If you have a massive amount and you have the speed upgrade is the only way banelings can get the jump on a group of marauders without doing one of those things.

Also get speedlings and hydras(must get range upgrade asap!), speedlings make a great cheap damage soak(and can do decent damage vs marauders in numbers), and if you can get a decent surround, you can prevent the terran from microing away from your hydras. Also the more targets, the more likely for you to run in some banelings without getting them sniped, if the T isn't keeping up on his micro 100%.

Also clog up the choke outside your natural expansion with a bunch of spine crawlers for defense.. By themselves marauders will break through spine crawlers like nothing, so keep your lings and hydras out front and let the crawlers use their range advantage.

If terran walls in, don't worry about trying to break their wall in early, just camp your army outside their base and keep them from expanding while you expand every time you have the spare resources. After you have them contained, tech up to greater spire units and take em out.

Edit: forgot to mention, get a few infestors and use the fungal growth on them, that helps a lot as well.

And no roaches. Roaches suck vs. marauders. They are good vs. marines and they are cheap, but speedlings are a better use of minerals, and more effective backup for your hydras.

Ashhong

god, just continue to get rocked by air units when i play terran and do the MMM. by the time i realize it i dont have enough time to mass marines or vikings

zoukka

Ashhong said:
god, just continue to get rocked by air units when i play terran and do the MMM. by the time i realize it i dont have enough time to mass marines or vikings

You either don't scout, or push early enough.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn. Just have a 51min game with another novice, it was going no where so i threw all my dudes in, got killed and surrendered :lol

And there is AI! Guess i will be messing around with the races via that way instead of getting my ass handed to me by real players. Hopefully i can get used to build orders, names of units, buildings that way.

Zertez

iamblades said:
Banelings are key, but you have to use them effectively, which against marauders means either burrowed or dropped. If you have a massive amount and you have the speed upgrade is the only way banelings can get the jump on a group of marauders without doing one of those things.

Also get speedlings and hydras(must get range upgrade asap!), speedlings make a great cheap damage soak(and can do decent damage vs marauders in numbers), and if you can get a decent surround, you can prevent the terran from microing away from your hydras. Also the more targets, the more likely for you to run in some banelings without getting them sniped, if the T isn't keeping up on his micro 100%.

Also clog up the choke outside your natural expansion with a bunch of spine crawlers for defense.. By themselves marauders will break through spine crawlers like nothing, so keep your lings and hydras out front and let the crawlers use their range advantage.

If terran walls in, don't worry about trying to break their wall in early, just camp your army outside their base and keep them from expanding while you expand every time you have the spare resources. After you have them contained, tech up to greater spire units and take em out.

Edit: forgot to mention, get a few infestors and use the fungal growth on them, that helps a lot as well.

And no roaches. Roaches suck vs. marauders. They are good vs. marines and they are cheap, but speedlings are a better use of minerals, and more effective backup for your hydras.
Im beginning to think Roaches suck in general against Terrans. Unless Im fighting a weak Terran player who just uses Marines, but then it wouldnt really matter what I use. I have Speedlings with either upgraded armor or attack. I have control of the map and I cut off the natural expansion on decent sized maps. I harass pretty well on the map with scouts and his expansions, but the start up base is more than enough to get a good sized MM army.

The people I play against wall up, then go 2 or 3 racks with reactor for Marines and labs for Marauders. My Hydras have range upgraded. Most the time I just get out numbered by the sheer size of the army. My micro isnt great I will admit. Im getting better, but if the army sizes are close in size, I get rolled. The Terran player doesnt really micro his army much, just sends them. My army usually consists of Speedlings in front, Hydras behind them, Banelings to the side and a couple of Queens for support. If I can come out of this initial push with half my army intact I should be able to take the game with the map control.

Im sure I will be able to defend it better once my micro improves a lot, but it is frustrating losing over again to Terran players bc of Marauders. At least the majority of people play Terran in my ranking and I get lots of practice. Protoss seem to be pretty rare lately.

zoukka

evlcookie said:
Damn. Just have a 51min game with another novice, it was going no where so i threw all my dudes in, got killed and surrendered :lol

And there is AI! Guess i will be messing around with the races via that way instead of getting my ass handed to me by real players. Hopefully i can get used to build orders, names of units, buildings that way.

Going against the AI will only do harm to your skill. Just embrace the shame like I do and get your ass whooped. That way you learn.

Just scout all the time and keep that worker count up and don't sit on resources.

After the update, whenever I exit the game, the entire PC freezes on me i.e. I can move the mouse and whatever is running in background (like music) still runs but I can't do anything else and am forced to press the reset button.

The only thing that works (i.e. if i DON'T click the exit game button) is ctrl+alt+del and ending the task via force. If I hit "Exit Game" without doing this, it freezes... :/

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I get a similar freeze but not a full system lockup. I can easily ctrl+alt+del and kill the process without any issues. Have been all day. And i click on the exit button to quit, only because i think maybe this time it won't freeze on me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Go baneling + hydra. After pressuring with lings early on. (If you can baneling bust the ramp)

Here's a simple guide to getting started in Starcraft II:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23425586271&sid=5000

Had some fun with my hero units in some whacky 2v2 antics. You can see by the minimap what a situation we were in. :lol

35akv3r.jpg

11udm6p.jpg

30k6hxu.jpg

2eo9lqs.jpg

2ceg7iq.jpg

28h0j7q.jpg

chris-013

Hum... I played yesterday and I feel like the game is faster, scvs gathers mineral and gas a lot faster.
It's very strange but I think it's better because we can expand earlier now.

Yaweee

scoobs said:
I have a weird thing happening right now... i cant exit the beta without the program getting a [not responding] error. If i wanna quit i have to ctrl+alt+delete or else it just sits frozen forever. thats fun.

Lucky you. It just locks my computer most of the time (Alt-F4, ctrl-alt-del, Windows Key, or Alt-Tab don't work).

This game is pissing me off enough as it is, and having to constantly restart my computer doesn't help. I try to just keep it minimized, but sometimes I forget =(

Just got into the beta yesterday and have been having an awesome time. I have watched enough replays and played enough SC1 that I'm doing great against everyone I've played so far, minus getting stomped in a FFA.

I've had two computer/hardware issues since playing. One, for the first time ever, my computer overheated and shut down on me. Did this after a 2 hours SC2 session. I've remedied this by simply putting 2cm thick folded/taped pieces of paper under the rubber feet on my laptop. The extra elevation has kept my machine noticeably cooler.

Second, I'm getting the "computer freezes when trying to exit" issue detailed above. It's almost like Blizzard doesn't want you to quit... I've found the same solution: ctrl+alt+dlt to terminate.

Awesome game so far.

Hazaro said:
Go baneling + hydra. After pressuring with lings early on. (If you can baneling bust the ramp)

Here's a simple guide to getting started in Starcraft II:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23425586271&sid=5000

Had some fun with my hero units in some whacky 2v2 antics. You can see by the minimap what a situation we were in. :lol

[I MG]http://i40.tinypic.com/35akv3r.jpg[/IMG]
[IM G]http://i39.tinypic.com/11udm6p.jpg[/IMG]
[I MG]http://i42.tinypic.com/30k6hxu.jpg[/IMG]

[IM G]http://i40.tinypic.com/2eo9lqs.jpg[/IMG]
[I MG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2ceg7iq.jpg[/IMG]
[I MG]http://i40.tinypic.com/28h0j7q.jpg[/IMG]
Holy crap, 56 kills with one Ghost, not bad. The best I remember was a Dark Templar I had that had 16 kills. BTW, they are damn awesome. I have no clue about how cost-effective they are but they look so badass and I could one-hit Space Marines with them.

FoxSpirit

They stealthily increased the overall game speed. Beware of the feeling of easier fast expand because you'll suddelny have rushes coming in even earlier too.

Aesthet1c

For the people having troubles with Terran as Zerg, I've learned a few tricks lately to counter MMM. First I try to diversify my army, each unit seems to play a pretty good role. Roaches soak the damage, Hydra's do the damage and zerglings are always nice to have. My main trick though is to add infestors and banelings to the mix. I never really used infestors before, but man are they sweet. If you have like 4-5 infestors, you can usually fungal growth the entire ball of MMM, throw all your banelings at it, then clean up with roaches and hydras. If they bring larger units with their MMM, like thors, I will try to parasite them before I start my fungal growths. And if there is extra energy left afterwards, you would be surprised at how many infested terran 5 infestors could drop.

Take all of this with a grain of salt though, because I'm only bronze league, but it's been working for me fairly well. My main thing with ZvT or even ZvP is to keep the harassment up the entire match, because if I just let them build whatever they want for 15 minutes or so, there usually isn't anything I can make that will beat what they have.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
god, this game is just the so sexy.

the UI, the unit design (especially the Zerg but e-specially the Protoss) the environments, all just fucking gorgeous.

I take it the only AI option is 'Very Easy' in the beta?

FoxSpirit

Rez said:
god, this game is just the so sexy.

the UI, the unit design (especially the Zerg but e-specially the Protoss) the environments, all just fucking gorgeous.

I take it the only AI option is 'Very Easy' in the beta?

Yes, it's only there to try out the units and time some builds.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
FoxSpirit said:
Yes, it's only there to try out the units and time some builds.
mm, I figured as much.

I know I have the dexterity (I'm a classical pianist for crying out loud) and mental capacity to really get to at least a solid intermediate skill level in this game, but as of right now I just need to actually find the time to sit down and really wrap my head around some of the finer aspects of macroing and microing now that I am familiar with the basic functionality of different races.

That Beginner Guide on the SCII forums was useful. I'm going to start playing online in a serious capacity soon, losing horribly (but learning heaps) and watching replays. This seems like it will be serious fun.

west

Got in the beta yesterday

Picked up Protos since they seemed most straight forward macro wise. Zerg build logic hurts my brain.

Won my noob training matches by trying some stuff i picked up in replays... but placement matches did not go as well... won around half. I'm now 7th in my copper ladder. great. I fear how nasty platinum is.

I still can't find the unit upgrades when I need them, why can't they be in the building that make them? WC3 was so much clearer on this.

oh..well...

I'm west.gaf if someone in EU GAF wants to add me. I'm so bad it hurts, but I don't cry when I loose. :D I just like trying stuff and learning.

Hmm. I received a beta invite from SC2betaUS@blizzard.com, followed the direction and logged into battle.net, but no "manage game" icon/button for Starcraft 2.

I hope I didn't just fuck-up and get phished. Looks official, email address is from blizzard.com, etc. Did anybody else receive an invite and then not be able to get to the installer for awhile?

Deadly

Anyone else having complications closing the game? Each time I exit game it stays there and I have to use the task manager to close it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Micromegas said:
Hmm. I received a beta invite from SC2betaUS@blizzard.com, followed the direction and logged into battle.net, but no "manage game" icon/button for Starcraft 2.

I hope I didn't just fuck-up and get phished. Looks official, email address is from blizzard.com, etc. Did anybody else receive an invite and then not be able to get to the installer for awhile?
Looks VERYYYYYYYY fishy, dude.

LaneDS

Micromegas said:

Change your password ASAP if you can. But hopefully it's just B.net being wonky.

Micromegas said:

Nah man, I got the same one, same problem. It takes you to the official site and everything. I shot 'em an e-mail, so we'll see what's up soon enough. I called account services earlier and they confirmed that the e-mail address was legit, but they told me to e-mail beta support because they don't have anything to do with the SC2 beta.

Corum

Micromegas said:

Was there a beta key in the email and did you add the key to your account?

checking with a buddy at Blizz if it is legit or not.

edit: he says it's fine, but still go to battle.net manually do not use the link given in the email, just to make sure.

LaneDS

Went back and watched this from two years ago just now:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/protoss-demo-starcraft-ii/31802

Crazy how different the game looks in such a short period of time. Also, had no idea about the Immortal shields (or rather, totally forgot). Is that part (about them having special shields for hard hitting attacks) still true? Going to have to mess with that later on.

Pretty hilarious how slow everything looks in that video (especially the Phoenixes with their equally hilariously broken looking overload ability). Also laughed considerably at how ridiculous the mothership was back then (especially considering how not ridiculous it is now).

mescalineeyes said:
checking with a buddy at Blizz if it is legit or not.

edit: he says it's fine, but still go to battle.net manually do not use the link given in the email, just to make sure.

Any idea how to get the installer rolling? There is no key in the email... will it just eventually auto-magically appear?

if you get a direct invite the starcraft 2 icon shows up on your battle.net account no key needed just click on the icon and download the installer ._. internet is not rocket science

Micromegas said:
Any idea how to get the installer rolling? There is no key in the email... will it just eventually auto-magically appear?

It's on Blizzard's end right now. We can't post on the forums either, so we don't have approved SC2 Beta accounts. Even if we installed it, we couldn't login.

Micromegas said:

it should be there when you log in to battle.net.

but, I mean, keep in mind, just because it looks legit, doesn't mean it is.

Micromegas said:

I just got this same problem.

Manabanana said:
No beta key in the e-mail. Here's the e-mail.
Yeah, that was the email I received as well.

Top Bottom