• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ashhong

Yaweee said:
Though they're fuckers for lying, matchmaking is determined by some hidden Matchmaking rating (MMR) as far as I know, so the platinum players might have been placed there but actually be sucking and have a low MMR, or the bronze/unranked people might be on their way up. Playing higher leagues consistently is normally a good sign that you'll be getting bumped up soon, while the converse is also true.

well then they must have been on a losing streak, because i know i have. still think that matchmaking is WAAAY off, just in this one incidence. no matter how bad they have been doing. they were ridiculously good...usually teams are fairly even ish.

Calidor

Probably this has been asked a million times already but:

Is it known if the game is going to be available from Blizzard's digital store on the 27th?

Alucrid

Banned
My friend keeps asking me if SC2 will run on his 15" macbook pro. Anyone? I'm assuming no, or at least very poor performance, but I'm no expert.

Xyphie

The WoW expansions have been retail exclusive for a week for so, the same will probably happen here.

Alucrid said:
My friend keeps asking me if SC2 will run on his 15" macbook pro. Anyone? I'm assuming no, or at least very poor performance, but I'm no expert.

It runs decently (dips to ~15-20fps on small 1v1 skirmishes) on a 9400M with everything on low, but it's not something I'd like to play on regularly. If he has a 9400M 15" he should probably run it in Boot Camp since the performance is much better on there. If he has a 9600M, 8600M or 330M he should be in the green for OSX.

Instro

Kinyou said:
I just found out that you can prevent the game from crashing if you exit it with alt + f4 and not through the menu.

Dunno if it works for everyone else, but if you log out before exiting it doesn't freeze up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Calidor said:
Probably this has been asked a million times already but:

Is it known if the game is going to be available from Blizzard's digital store on the 27th?
I don't think so but I could be wrong. As seen above.
Alucrid said:
Depends on the graphics card in it. If it is new it should be fine (however the mac beta currently is not running as well) does he have bootcamp?

Also Cathonluck vs Slush going to game 4 now

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124235
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat

a176

Banned
Instro said:
Dunno if it works for everyone else, but if you log out before exiting it doesn't freeze up.

ive read this and tried it but it still crashes occassionally. People shouldn't really fret though, with all the reports Blizz must be getting, I'm sure they'll fix it by next week ...

Soooo tips for scouting with zerg? My friend only plays Toss and I like to play Zerg pretty often, but I have a lot of trouble getting any information out of my opponents without sacrificing a ton of Overlords. And he's way slow about observers. Regardless of how I think the match is going to go, should I just constantly be sending in Zerglings to harass so I can get a look at the enemy bases? Or is that not cost-effective?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pai Pai Master said:
Soooo tips for scouting with zerg? My friend only plays Toss and I like to play Zerg pretty often, but I have a lot of trouble getting any information out of my opponents without sacrificing a ton of Overlords. And he's way slow about observers. Regardless of how I think the match is going to go, should I just constantly be sending in Zerglings to harass so I can get a look at the enemy bases? Or is that not cost-effective?
One overseer hanging outside his base as long as he doesn't have stargates. Send in a changeling every now and then.

Pai Pai Master said:
Soooo tips for scouting with zerg? My friend only plays Toss and I like to play Zerg, but I have a lot of trouble getting any information out of my opponents without sacrificing a ton of Overlords. And he's way slow about observers. Regardless of how I think the match is going to go, should I just constantly be sending in Zerglings to harass so I can get a look at the enemy bases? Or is that not cost-effective?

I almost always upgrade Overlord speed. Position them at key positions on the map like at all the expansions and such so you can catch them when they expand. Also generate creep so Command Centers cant land and Toss can't build on it.

Also use changelings from Overseers. If there's a wall, sneak your Overseer to the cliff edge of the main base (or wherever you want to go) and cast it in there. You can usually get good info from a changeling before the enemy kills it or it runs out of its timer.

And don't be afraid to sacrifice an overlord to see their tech. It is worth it, but with Overlord speed upgrade you can usually get in and out fast enough.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just sac an ovie. 100 minerals is nothing.
Overseer is also good.

ggs to everyone in the TL Invitational

*Wow, peaked at 9,700 viewers? Goddam.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also yeah, the first thing you should be doing with your Lair is either Burrow or Ovie speed and you eventually want both.

JoeMartin

Terran really don't have an effective counter for mass Hydras and it's my biggest short coming in TvZ as well. Short of getting a fuckoff battlecruiser fleet mass hydras will a-move through anything T can put up. Really your only hope is absolutely Godlike micro with siege tanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JoeMartin said:
Terran really don't have an effective counter for mass Hydras and it's my biggest short coming in TvZ as well. Short of getting a fuckoff battlecruiser fleet mass hydras will a-move through anything T can put up. Really your only hope is absolutely Godlike micro with siege tanks.
Tanks are pretty good behind mards taking damage with medivacs.

Yaweee

Ashhong said:
well then they must have been on a losing streak, because i know i have. still think that matchmaking is WAAAY off, just in this one incidence. no matter how bad they have been doing. they were ridiculously good...usually teams are fairly even ish.

Matchmaking is pretty good for 1v1. 2v2 is probably quite a bit more complicated in determining who it teams together, and who against. Generally, you should be happy to be playing against higher people, as it normally means you'd get more points for a win than you'd lose for a loss (even if it is "even matched", I think it can go +13/-7 for w/l points).

Yaweee

JoeMartin said:

Thors got nerfed against hydras (and buffed against almost anything else), but Tanks and and Hellions do pretty good (Hydras are light armor, so they get a huge bonus if they are upgraded. Their range is as long, too.

Hunter Seeker Missiles are strong enough to one-shot hydras.

The problem might be economy. Are they on an expansion when you're not?

Meeru

Banned
Yaweee said:
Thors got nerfed against hydras (and buffed against almost anything else), but Tanks and and Hellions do pretty good (Hydras are light armor, so they get a huge bonus if they are upgraded. Their range is as long, too.

Hunter Seeker Missiles are strong enough to one-shot hydras.

The problem might be economy. Are they on an expansion when you're not?
Wow..no mention on marines.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yay, I just killed a dude online.

granted, the guy built 15 workers over 20 mins, didn't expand and only had one barracks as opposed to 70 workers, 3 gateways, 2 starports, one expansion and other tech tree upgrades including the fleet beacon and all that.

I'm a slightly better noob, yay.

I think I enjoy playing the Protoss the most. It seems the most beginner friendly.

mackaveli

will a brand new iMac 24" run this game?

I'm not tech savy but im a Mac guy and only want to get a Mac and not a PC.

What Mac would you recommend me get to run this game at a decent FPS?

dont really want a macbook pro or any laptop.

thanks

Chris R

Should work on any iMac, but if you want the game to look halfway decent, upgrade to the 4850 (damnit apple, get with the program!). The 27" quad core with a 4850... that would do pretty damn good.

Hazaro said:
Also here is the replay of Artosis vs Slush in Game 3 where Slush got the lead up over Artosis... and got disqualified?

Thread should open up soon, or a new one will be made.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124298

That's really crappy that a game that was clearly won by Artosis was called for a regame and then Slush beat out Artosis and won the tourney. I'd hate to win a tourney based on a bad call like that. He knows he lost.

Anyway, would you be down for trying out that custom map trick in a bit?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
They regamed and Slush won. Part of the TLI rules were if DCed then regame or autoloss.
I watched the rep. I guess while it was in accordance with rules Artosis was pretty far in the lead when the DC happened (I just watched the rep). Artosis had bases that were mining, almost 3x the gas income, 3-2 hydras vs mutas and corruptors. Slush's last mining expo was goign to get sniped and it would have been gg since Slush had almost no gas left.

I guess Artosis is upset since he would have given Slush the win instead of taking it to a regame.

*Yeah I'll be on for a bit.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ya I can totally see what would happen. But rules are rules, Im ...kinda... glad they held them up even against a caliber of player Artosis is...but still it sucks to lose a tourny like that.

Slush should have just gg'ed in chat afterward, but I guess he really wanted that $300 and I would imagine other invitationals would not really want him now.

Hazaro said:
I guess Artosis is upset since he would have given Slush the win instead of taking it to a regame.

After reading that topic they really need to get a new ref, that one is a moron. Artosis won that fair and square. Slush is a prick.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Halycon said:
Also yeah, the first thing you should be doing with your Lair is either Burrow or Ovie speed and you eventually want both.

When you hit lair, any of your hatcheries can research lair tech upgrades. So you can research both at the same time.

Alucrid

Banned
Hazaro said:
I don't think so but I could be wrong. As seen above.

Depends on the graphics card in it. If it is new it should be fine (however the mac beta currently is not running as well) does he have bootcamp?

Also Cathonluck vs Slush going to game 4 now

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124235
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat

Xyphie said:
The WoW expansions have been retail exclusive for a week for so, the same will probably happen here.

It runs decently (dips to ~15-20fps on small 1v1 skirmishes) on a 9400M with everything on low, but it's not something I'd like to play on regularly. If he has a 9400M 15" he should probably run it in Boot Camp since the performance is much better on there. If he has a 9600M, 8600M or 330M he should be in the green for OSX.

Thanks for the info. He got his mid 2009 so he has the 9400M. As for bootcamp I don't believe he has any disks to install vista or windows 7, but I'll let him know about it.

daoster

Anybody's game crashing a lot since the new patch?

My buddy's game is crashing just about every time we play since Patch 11, and it was never like that with the previous versions... (He uses Windows XP Pro).

Paz

Not sure if anybody is watching now but we will continue to stream glade vs pinder until they are done playing, please provide more feedback if you are watching (the choppy stuff helped we are looking into it now).

Basically this is a trial run so we can cast actual aus tournaments in future :)

Corran Horn

Paz said:
Not sure if anybody is watching now but we will continue to stream glade vs pinder until they are done playing, please provide more feedback if you are watching (the choppy stuff helped we are looking into it now).

Basically this is a trial run so we can cast actual aus tournaments in future :)
Seems all good, just fix the choppyness and yall should be fine. I cannot hear the 2nd person talking just fyi. I hear one and can faintly barely hear another.

This current game is much better fyi fpswise.

Also turn down SC2 volume some, during the battles its hard to hear your voice.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
This may be a stupid question, but how do you cross game chat while in game. I often get messages from friends while I am in a game, but dont know how to reply to them, and not to the person I am playing with.

Corran Horn

Datwheezy said:
This may be a stupid question, but how do you cross game chat while in game. I often get messages from friends while I am in a game, but dont know how to reply to them, and not to the person I am playing with.
type "/r " to reply to last person who talked to you

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I find enter + tab to work better for me since you can reply to the last 4 or so people or groups. /r is to the last person who messaged you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
skipped out of the practice matches (too slow!) and went on to kick ass in my first placement match.

I swarmed in on some poor Terran's base (and just starting first expansion) with a giant hilarious fleet of a bit of everything. Other beginners don't realise that they need to expand, defend their expansions (turrets, photon cannons, whatever), build more than one offensive unit structure and generally spend all dem resources.

I'm still very much a beginner, but having those basics under my belt I'm able to do relatively well against people in the same boat as me. Even if I'm still not to the point where I can actually plan much beyond "GET LOTS OF RESOURCES, DEFEND THEM, SEND A SCOUT IN, THEN AMASS A GIANT HILARIOUS FLEET/ARMY OF GUYS AND ATTTTTTACK!!!".

The little time I spent with the SC1 campaign earlier this year was useful after all!

Any other beginnerish AusGAF should hit me up for a game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Try to remember that at times you should be attacking and not massing. Other than that making units is very important.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What's your name rez? Add me, evl.evlcookie

I'm starting to watch more replays though. Compared to them i seem to start out okish but then my mind just explodes and i'm lost trying to figure out wtf i should be doing. Build a pylon, get more probes, build a gateway then um things! That's kinda how i start to fall apart.

Hopefully i will start to remember the structures soon :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hazaro said:
Try to remember that at times you should be attacking and not massing. Other than that making units is very important.
well, yeah, I'm still very much at the stage where I'm only juuust starting to get used to the different hotkeys, form a good idea of a competent build order and generally understand what I should be doing and when. Multitasking between sending units in to attack, producing more and developing my base is something that I think will begin to do naturally over a few more hours of play, but as of right now there's still that basic knowledge barrier I need to build up.

I need to get rolled a couple of times to actually understand how to better myself. Watching a replay just doesn't work the same at the current level I'm at at the moment. I need to actually experience it. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I've been getting very lucky in my match-ups recently.

evlcookie said:
What's your name rez? Add me, evl.evlcookie

I'm starting to watch more replays though. Compared to them i seem to start out okish but then my mind just explodes and i'm lost trying to figure out wtf i should be doing. Build a pylon, get more probes, build a gateway then um things! That's kinda how i start to fall apart.

Hopefully i will start to remember the structures soon :lol
Rez.games

I'll add you now. I can relate to where you're at. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've been having a lot of luck lately with the Marine-heavy MMM balls with a bit of Thors thrown into the mix. I even played a few games where I rushed as fast as possible to get around 6 Thors and charged the enemy's base which can be quite successful if you have a few SCVs along to repair the Thors. I had never used Thors until the other day, but I have to admit that they are pretty badass units.

Meteorain

Just played 3 of my 5 placement games to see wher ei fit in the ladder/league and I've won all of them so far as Protoss (2vsP and 1vsT)

I'm pretty confident I'm building fast enough and haven't had any problems with any early rushes or anything like that. What I've noticed so far is that it boils down to who can rape the other's base faster as you both go at it, and well gotta say Void Rays > anything I've encountered so far. The DoT increase is just awesome for taking out buildings.

I find a bunch of Zealot's with about 6 VR's and a Carrier usually get the job done. Chuck in a shield probe to reduce dmg against any incoming range and you're good. Also actually focusing targets to kill is a really good advantage since the others just seems to just leave their stuff to auto attack.

Tbh this all seems very noobish but so far it's working. My main problem is that I occasionally forget to build something like a Forge or Cyber which really slows me down and gives the opponent a better chance of beating me.

I've been thinking of ignoring Forge first for Cyber to get Robotics for Immortals but I like my way so far.

Meeru

Banned
Man I've been wanting to play with you gaffers and now finally someone says if they want to play when I'm working :lol

iamblades

Meteorain said:
Just played 3 of my 5 placement games to see wher ei fit in the ladder/league and I've won all of them so far as Protoss (2vsP and 1vsT)

I'm pretty confident I'm building fast enough and haven't had any problems with any early rushes or anything like that. What I've noticed so far is that it boils down to who can rape the other's base faster as you both go at it, and well gotta say Void Rays > anything I've encountered so far. The DoT increase is just awesome for taking out buildings.

I find a bunch of Zealot's with about 6 VR's and a Carrier usually get the job done. Chuck in a shield probe to reduce dmg against any incoming range and you're good. Also actually focusing targets to kill is a really good advantage since the others just seems to just leave their stuff to auto attack.

Tbh this all seems very noobish but so far it's working. My main problem is that I occasionally forget to build something like a Forge or Cyber which really slows me down and gives the opponent a better chance of beating me.

I've been thinking of ignoring Forge first for Cyber to get Robotics for Immortals but I like my way so far.

Unless you are doing a forge fast expand build, always get the cybernetics core first, imo.

I usually wait till I alreay have 3-4 warpgates and I'm about to start on robo tech. You shouldn't need cannons before then(in my standard heavy warpgate robo build, I like to get gate, cyber, then 2 more gates, then robo and forge at about the same time, then expand as soon as the forge finishes and after I start my first immortal, so I have the immortal and a few cannons to help fortify the expo), and you shouldn't be able to afford any of the upgrades before then if you are building army and workers like you should. If you are planning on going to tech to air units fast, you definitely don't need an early forge.

Top Bottom