• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
valenti said:
Man I've been wanting to play with you gaffers and now finally someone says if they want to play when I'm working :lol
Id be down most of the time but these last 2 weeks of school have been hell for me, and I still have 2 more to go :/

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
JoeMartin said:
Terran really don't have an effective counter for mass Hydras and it's my biggest short coming in TvZ as well. Short of getting a fuckoff battlecruiser fleet mass hydras will a-move through anything T can put up. Really your only hope is absolutely Godlike micro with siege tanks.
what about mass helions with pre ignitor?

valenti said:
Yeah postponing it when we should've got it over with was not the best thing, especially now that you have finals :lol
Not to keep posting all over the place, but yeah, sorry about that. Just let me know when you're free and I'll just come get the games over with.

Deadly

Err, so I just loss a match and this guy got vikings out pretty fast so I decide to check their profile. Turns out him and his teammate were from the platinum/gold league. WTF? I'm a copper league guy here and I'm matched up against them? What's up with that?

fatty

Need some basic tips for playing Protoss please...

1. Warp Gates - It seems the consensus (but I could be wrong), is to try and always upgrade to Warp Gates. But what is the best way to use them? It seems as if I choose to upgrade, I always have to warp my units in and I'm no longer able to use them like a regular Gateway if I want. Am I understanding that correctly?

And let's say I have a proxy pylon far away hotkeyed to '8'. And I hit 'W' to warp out my units. Do I actually have to be on the screen where I want to warp my units in or is it possible to hit 'W', 'S' (let's say for a Stalker) and then '8' to where you have the area hotkeyed but without moving the screen to that spot? Hopefully that makes sense.

I guess I'm having trouble with my mechanics with using Warp Gates in conjunction with hotkeys and rally points. This is a big problem in the heat of battle.

2. Stalker's Blink Ability - Is there some kind of reference to know how high of a ledge you can use this ability on? I was playing Desert Oasis and I tested the Blink command from the bottom of my cliff just below the mineral line and was able to teleport to the top instead of using the choke. But when trying this strategy at my opponent's base it wouldn't work as I would just 'blink' to the base of the cliff. But to me it seems like it should have worked since the map is basically mirrored.

3. Chrono Boost - Here I'm just looking for general tips. I try to make sure to use it to speed my upgrades along and also on my more important units but is there any other helpful things I'm missing? My main problem is remembering to constantly use it. Also, as with the Warp Gates, do I have to click on the building specifically (thus having to be on that same screen) or is there a way to incorporate the hotkey into this?

4. Void Rays - The last few games I've played I've noticed that many players have been loading up on these units. What Protoss unit is their best counter?

5. Switching Chat Options - Yeah, this is a real noob question but I just started playing 2v2 placement matches and for the life of me I can't figure out how to switch chat options from 'Allied' to 'All'. In the bottom right corner I only have the option to turn chat off and the other chat option choice doesn't allow me to select it.

Any other tips for a fledging Protoss player would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Deadly

fatty said:
5. Switching Chat Options - Yeah, this is a real noob question but I just started playing 2v2 placement matches and for the life of me I can't figure out how to switch chat options from 'Allied' to 'All'. In the bottom right corner I only have the option to turn chat off and the other chat option choice doesn't allow me to select it.
shift+enter allows you to chat to all

mcrae

fatty said:
Need some basic tips for playing Protoss please...

1. Warp Gates - It seems the consensus (but I could be wrong), is to try and always upgrade to Warp Gates. But what is the best way to use them? It seems as if I choose to upgrade, I always have to warp my units in and I'm no longer able to use them like a regular Gateway if I want. Am I understanding that correctly?

And let's say I have a proxy pylon far away hotkeyed to '8'. And I hit 'W' to warp out my units. Do I actually have to be on the screen where I want to warp my units in or is it possible to hit 'W', 'S' (let's say for a Stalker) and then '8' to where you have the area hotkeyed but without moving the screen to that spot? Hopefully that makes sense.

I guess I'm having trouble with my mechanics with using Warp Gates in conjunction with hotkeys and rally points. This is a big problem in the heat of battle.

2. Stalker's Blink Ability - Is there some kind of reference to know how high of a ledge you can use this ability on? I was playing Desert Oasis and I tested the Blink command from the bottom of my cliff just below the mineral line and was able to teleport to the top instead of using the choke. But when trying this strategy at my opponent's base it wouldn't work as I would just 'blink' to the base of the cliff. But to me it seems like it should have worked since the map is basically mirrored.

3. Chrono Boost - Here I'm just looking for general tips. I try to make sure to use it to speed my upgrades along and also on my more important units but is there any other helpful things I'm missing? My main problem is remembering to constantly use it. Also, as with the Warp Gates, do I have to click on the building specifically (thus having to be on that same screen) or is there a way to incorporate the hotkey into this?

4. Void Rays - The last few games I've played I've noticed that many players have been loading up on these units. What Protoss unit is their best counter?

1. always use warpgates. they are much faster than gateways but yes, you do have to be viewing the pylon aura on-screen, you can't bind a pylon to a key and do it that way. once you upgrade the individual gateway to a warpgate, you can change it back anfd forth whenever, though i don't know why you would want to.

2. you need to have 'vision' of the higher cliff. so you either need a nearby air unit, or a unit that is already on that cliff.

3. i will leave for more protossy players, but in general yes, just use it all the time.

4. shrug, sorry.

5. hit enter, then tab through different conversations

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Allright guys, so I'm having trouble with zerg spamming Banelings on us... as Protos and Teran (2vs2) what do I do? It says Thors are good, but wtf, tier 2 vs tier 4 enemies? Balance? Anything else good against them?

mcrae

Yoshichan said:
Allright guys, so I'm having trouble with zerg spamming Banelings on us... as Protos and Teran (2vs2) what do I do? It says Thors are good, but wtf, tier 2 vs tier 4 enemies? Balance? Anything else good against them?

good micro, pretty much. keep your units spread out if you see a shit ton of banelings coming after you. if you're running from them, periodically sacrifice a unit by grabbing one at the back of the pack, and telling it to hold position, or just to attack-move. you lose one unit, he loses 5 banelings. by the time his baneling force is dead you still have a ton of guys to mop up with

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Yes.

No, your camera has to be centered on the pylon in order for you to tell the warp gates where to warp in units. It's a very micro intensive process, if you're not used to it, use gateways. You lost out a bit of production time only if you're a perfect player.

You can rally your units while they're warping in by selecting them and right clicking on the map.

You can only blink to places where you have vision. Or past rocks on ramps, which is a bug I think. Keep an observer in your enemy's base or one with your stalker swarm to make them as mobile as possible.

Yes, you have to manually click on the building you want to chrono. Originally, you could cast on buildings by clicking their wireframes and thus players would group all their production buildings with their Nexus. Blizzard felt this was too ez-mode so they changed it.

Get void rays first. Phoenixs also work if you have enough, but you need micro to shuffle them so the void rays don't charge up. Shuffling is when you move a hurt unit backwards so the attackers are forced to chase or lose their target, leaving them open to fire by the rest of your units.

Scout early, if you see them going forge, 90% of the time they're going for a turtle strat. So just skip the forge and tech straight to void rays. You'll get them out first, and win. Move the moment you have two.

In 1v1, you talk to all by default.
In 2v2, ally chat is default. To talk to all, you need to press Shift + Enter. I don't know if there's a way to toggle this.

Use immortals when they're apt. Incorporate Colossi or HT into your strategy, you'll rarely need both but having one or the other is invaluable late game.

Zinthar

sasimirobot said:
Is there anywhere to directly download the beta?

My regular "PC bang" closed shop and this internet cafe doesn't allow torrents...

Not likely -- there are 11 patches that have to be applied to it and the total size is around 2GB (if i recall correctly). You'll only get that from the Blizz downloader, or possible a different torrent site.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok so I just had the most amazing comeback victory. Using nukes of course. Many nukes.
It was a 2v2, but more importantly we had a terrible start and were down in every way.

After my partner lost everything but 2 probes all I had was a handful of units and a ramp. Things were not looking well. Due to some clever unit compositions, micro, repairing, and failure to correctly know where my ghost was... fortunes were reversed.

Apologies on stream quality. I changed the settings for it to look better, but it instead looks worse.
View here! Or click the image. (You might want to click the [< >] to view larger, or simply pop it out and make it whatever size you like.
Replay is 14 minutes long. DL here.

I think the kicker was at the end finding out that the Terran player had played 170+ games since patch reset and was a plat 1v1. Felt so gooooood. :lol
Poor guys never knew where my ghost was.

iamblades

I use stalkers and sentries vs void rays. I pretty much never build a stargate unless i'm phoenix rushing a zerg player or something.

Protoss air is easily countered by cheaper protoss and terran ground units, so it doesnt really work if the person is expecting them, which sentry stalker builds are versatile enough to work as the backbone of a protoss army in almost any matchup

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hazaro said:
I think the kicker was at the end finding out that the Terran player had played 170+ games since patch reset and was a plat 1v1. Felt so gooooood. :lol
Poor guys never knew where my ghost was.

And yet he let his CC burn down...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ZealousD said:
And yet he let his CC burn down...
He repaired it to orange! Too bad it was at like at like 480hp and started to burn down again :lol
His main race is Toss and it also didn't die, had 9hp when I left the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nice job Haz :lol :lol :lol

Can't imagine how Pyro must've felt being ABANDONED.

Meeru

Banned
Tryckser said:
Is there a bug with Terran cloaking ships? He was flying right above my Sensor tower and his ships weren't decloaked :/
sensor towers dont reveal units. Missle turrets and ravens and scans will.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Halycon said:
Nice job Haz :lol :lol :lol

Can't imagine how Pyro must've felt being ABANDONED.
:lol He had his puppy with him. Sure it was peeing on the carpet but that's what friends do right?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nice work haz. You're ghost seems like an annoying bastard :lol

Question to everyone. Is there any point in researching ground and air upgrades? Like the weapon and armor?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
evlcookie said:

Question to everyone. Is there any point in researching ground and air upgrades? Like the weapon and armor?
It is pretty important in many cases. So yeah. You are increasing your army effectiveness by a %, and that % will always stay.

e.g. +1 attack on marauders make it so stalkers take 1 less shot to die (since they have 1 armor).
+1 Armor reduces ling damage to mards from 4 to 3. 25%.

Armor in some cases is important, but generally attack is better. If you are going upgrades you usually get +1 attack, build a second structure (say engy bay) and then get your +2 attack and +1 armor at the same time.

The costs and time go up each level so it is important to stay on top of them in a longer game and work them into your play.

There are certain CRITICAL upgrades which change tides of battle. One of them is +1 weps for Zealots (so they 2 hit zerglings) and before patch the +1 weps for collosi allowed marines to die in 1 hit. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

mcrae

evlcookie said:

its Your, and yeah there is, but im not pro enough to know when. the pro replays show them doing it but not with any pattern i can make out..... i guess once you've got 15 or so guys your economy should be in a good enough state you can afford it. also if you're semi-stalemated, just strading units with a guy, especially in a mirror match, upgrades can give the edge

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Most satisfying game ive ever had, just got owned by a zerg and went into the next game, which happened to be v zerg on the same map :lol. Knives gave me some good advice to harass them all the time, the reason i lost before is because i let them mass brood lords and corruptors. So this time i decided, fuck it, im going to tech up early, get a medi and a banshee and go straight to town on their base. So i did, as im 3/4 way there a fucking nydrus worm opens up in the rear of my base, and all my units are 3/4 way to his, roaches popping out all over the place. I decided, fuck it, im continuing, maybe i can sack him before he gets me (i should note the ability to "move" buildings had not popped into my head, give me a break its my 12th game of sc ever :D ) so his base is unguarded, so is mine, its a race to see who can destroy the others first. This is when i remember that terran buildings can move, so i move 1 barracks (the only thing left) to another part of the map entirely and destroy his whole base, he leaves very very very pissed. :D :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtym2dmmdnn

It is uploaded, please dont point out i am terrible because i am very aware of that fact :lol its coppper league

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
Stumbled onto this blog post on teamliquid simply titled 'I do not like Sc2'.

Really nice post about the modding tools and Blizzards (or rather one person's lead) to the modding community.

I was seriously impressed by what he did in the original Starcraft, I can only imagine what he would be able to create in SC II.

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=123080

I find it interesting that he tried to tell Blizzard how to improve their map editor UI and they ignored him and made an even more poorly laid out UI.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
I find it interesting that he tried to tell Blizzard how to improve their map editor UI and they ignored him and made an even more poorly laid out UI.
I find it stupid as hell. Did Blizzard seriously use that editor for campaign?
Sure it might be powerful but not even having HP and Shield next to each other? That's so laughable.

Meteorain

iamblades said:
Unless you are doing a forge fast expand build, always get the cybernetics core first, imo.

I usually wait till I alreay have 3-4 warpgates and I'm about to start on robo tech. You shouldn't need cannons before then(in my standard heavy warpgate robo build, I like to get gate, cyber, then 2 more gates, then robo and forge at about the same time, then expand as soon as the forge finishes and after I start my first immortal, so I have the immortal and a few cannons to help fortify the expo), and you shouldn't be able to afford any of the upgrades before then if you are building army and workers like you should. If you are planning on going to tech to air units fast, you definitely don't need an early forge.

I have to thank you for this. The change in build order and general unit building is an improvement for me. I've only managed to win 2 games though, but that's only because in the other one's I screwed up and forgot to build certain things at key points.

I'm still unable to deal if they go a bit of a ling spam. Also, my god roaches rape my zealots, thankgod for immortals though!

So atm I'm following what you said above with a slight variance and I've usually ended my matches by taking a distraction group to the front of their base and then going round the back with a Warp Prism and warping in loads of zealots to start raping them from behind. It's pretty damn effective I have to say.

P.S. Playing in the Bronze League at the moment.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Finally starting to get good in 1vs1. I guess I figuered out, how to interpret my scouting information and how to react accordingly. :D

Also won against a Zerg against his ling rush, by flying my base onto an island and crushing him with vikings. He 6pooled me, but I placed a proxy rax inside his base, so he had absolutely no workforce.
In the end I killed him off with 6 vikings, some marines with medivacs and 2 banshees against some measily zerglings and 4 hydras. :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hazaro said:

Really nice post about the modding tools and Blizzards (or rather one person's lead) to the modding community.

I was seriously impressed by what he did in the original Starcraft, I can only imagine what he would be able to create in SC II.

Honestly, much of this post seems like horseshit to me. Yeah, the editor is a bit confusing to understand and and the layout could be better. But he goes off on a lot of bogus tangents (complaining about the voice acting, b.net 2.0).

But people are already making awesome maps with the thing. Shmups, Tetris, FPS's, Third-Person Shooters. Even a survival horror game! You can do practically anything with it! And he's already swearing it off because he doesn't want to take the time to learn it.

Yaweee

Is there any link to the FULL bnet music? I swear it must be 15 minutes long or something. I come back after having it minimized to hear these fantastic symphonic parts, but none of the clips on YouTube have it.

Cronox

Banned
Hazaro said:

Very discouraging. And the sound design and voice acting definitely took a hit in SC2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh God. Remember how much I sucked just three days ago?

Am I the only one who could lose, literally 32 times without any wins without rage quitting this game for all eternity? Because I lost, and lost, and lost.

And now I really am getting good compared to before. I've won four in a row now. After 16 hours a day for three days, constant watching replays, observing my friends, discussing it on forums, reading about counter-picks in Wikia and lots more... I'm starting to win. And brutally.

My first 1vs1 Placement match was a joke. I sent in a Observer asap, noticed how he spammed Warp Gates (LOL 'toss) with Zeals combined with a couple of stalkers. I barricaded myself with buildings and produced a bunch of airships and some Colossus that literally SHOT THE SHIT out of the zealots behind all the buildings. When he had attacked, he had nothing left so I went all out and smashed him to pieces.

Oh, how good this feels. 4'th streak and going for more!

Deadly

Yoshichan said:
Oh God. Remember how much I sucked just three days ago?

Am I the only one who could lose, literally 32 times without any wins without rage quitting this game for all eternity? Because I lost, and lost, and lost.

And now I really am getting good compared to before. I've won four in a row now. After 16 hours a day for three days, constant watching replays, observing my friends, discussing it on forums, reading about counter-picks in Wikia and lots more... I'm starting to win. And brutally.

My first 1vs1 Placement match was a joke. I sent in a Observer asap, noticed how he spammed Warp Gates (LOL 'toss) with Zeals combined with a couple of stalkers. I barricaded myself with buildings and produced a bunch of airships and some Colossus that literally SHOT THE SHIT out of the zealots behind all the buildings. When he had attacked, he had nothing left so I went all out and smashed him to pieces.

Oh, how good this feels. 4'th streak and going for more!
Damn and I thought my ~15 lose streak was bad. Glad to know you're getting better. What league are you in?

Yoshichan

Deadly said:
Damn and I thought my ~15 lose streak was bad. Glad to know you're getting better. What league are you in?
I played 2vs2 and that's where I got 32 losses :( Then me and my friend started "getting it" with observers and counters and all of a sudden we started winning! (We were in copper league :lol Went from like placement ~70 to ~12 over the day though).

And now I woke up and started my first 1vs1 placement match and won :D So I'm going to try this up and see what league I get in to!

Deadly

watervengeance said:
We should have a Copper/Bronze tournament for GAF (if we didn't have one already, I don't keep track of our tournaments) :lol
Who are the copper/bronze league gaffers anyways?! The only ones I have on my list and usually see on are Alumnus, valenti, vautrin, kamina and they are all platinum league so I don't even dare play with them. Sorry guys I'd just suck compared to you and feel bad about slowing you down :lol

Deadly said:
Who are the copper/bronze league gaffers anyways?! The only ones I have on my list and usually see on are Alumnus, valenti, vautrin, kamina and they are all platinum league so I don't even dare play with them. Sorry guys I'd just suck compared to you and feel bad about slowing you down :lol

I'm in the Bronze league.

Top Bottom