• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Effect said:
The beta is under NDA right? How strict are Blizzard about that usually? For example, if a video ends up on youtube will it only last a few minutes before it's taken down?

They don't have an NDA for the beta, people can stream and upload video from the game.

KnightM7 said:
Are there still some placeholders for the sound effects? or are they all pretty much done?
I get the feeling this is the most polished beta that Blizzard has ever released. Maybe they'll spend a lot of time balancing and maybe they still have a lot of work to do on the campaign side, but I'm not sure if we'll see any major changes during this beta as we have during WoW, WC3, Diablo 2 and SC (all of those had major graphical/sound facelifts during their betas).

Zzoram

infinityBCRT said:
I get the feeling this is the most polished beta that Blizzard has ever released. Maybe they'll spend a lot of time balancing and maybe they still have a lot of work to do on the campaign side, but I'm not sure if we'll see any major changes during this beta as we have during WoW, WC3, Diablo 2 and SC (all of those had major graphical/sound facelifts during their betas).

Considering how long they've been working on the game, it should be polished. The beta seems to be more for balance testing and battle.net stress test than anything else.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
notworksafe said:
Does that apply to Com-Sat detector areas as well?

No, only "permanent" detectors like buildings - Xel Naga towers, Terran Sensor Units, etc. Since the ComSat can go anywhere at any time you don't see a ring. If I do use the ComSat on you you'll hear the noise and see a bunch of rotating blue rays.

Cirruss

Let meeeee innnnnnn

Is there a way that keeps me logged in to my battle.net account on the website so i don't have to keep rentering my password and stuff when i refresh the page every 15 mins :(

deathberry

Neo Member
infinityBCRT said:
what're ya doing? go grab a copy of the battle chest and play the campaign

BishopLamont said:
You should give it a shot, all the skills u acquire will be relevant when the sequel comes out.

I don't think I can stomach the visuals of the original StarCraft now; call me a graphics whore all you want. I guess I'll learn the tactics by watching the live feeds :p

Sad that there's no tutorial, but I'll make do with the AI players.

If I get in the beta

Zzoram

deathberry said:
I don't think I can stomach the visuals of the original StarCraft now; call me a graphics whore all you want. I guess I'll learn the tactics by watching the live feeds :p

If I get in the beta

Starcraft graphics hold up better than most games because they're 2D sprites instead of bad 3D.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
deathberry said:

If I get in the beta
starcrafts all sprites, so unless you're using a massive ungodly screen it holds up very well.

heck, i've played it on my 40" TV...

deathberry

Neo Member
Joseph Merrick said:

I'm watching that, but the HD feed on my second screen of the beta looks so.....good. I'm torn in two now: can get the original SC and play it and have my eyes bleed while learning basic gameplay, or pray to God for my beta key invite.

I'll
pray. Sorry guys.

EDIT: Sorry, the 'Thor' unit for Terran has Arnie voiceover, no way I'm going back to original now :lol

Thanks for the HD feed whoever posted it earlier; here it is again http://www.justin.tv/valken123#r=4YM5tyI~

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
deathberry said:
I'm watching that, but the HD feed on my second screen of the beta looks so.....good. I'm torn in two now: can get the original SC and play it and have my eyes bleed while learning basic gameplay, or pray to God for my beta key invite.

I'll
pray. Sorry guys.
:(
game of the year all years should be played by everyone.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anybody watch the iCCup stream? Fucking sneaky! :lol

Zerg player snuck a changeling into the Terran base. Popped a Nydus Worm behind their minerals full of Hydras. Destroyed the opponent's economy and command center in one fel swoop! The new reaver drop! :lol

Yaweee said:
Two of the Terran tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcghLSIpZlM
Fucking awesome remix of the original Terran theme.

Four of the Zerg tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ivYHY8V-XA&feature=channel

Only one Protoss track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuh96ogWoAc&feature=channel

Oh DEAR GOD THANK YOU!
Terran music kicks so much ass... anyways, great music, great game. Release it now Blizzard :(

PS: The love/hate feeling I have with the betatesters (they show me stuff but only them can play it) is weird...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
Anybody watch the iCCup stream? Fucking sneaky! :lol

Zerg player snuck a changeling into the Terran base. Popped a Nydus Worm behind their minerals full of Hydras. Destroyed the opponent's economy and command center in one fel swoop! The new reaver drop! :lol
i saw that, so harsh.

trouble will be sneaking one in past a terran choke. once they're there... lol.

basebuilding will be... different with all these harass characters.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Would love to see some screenshots or video of the game running on a low end PC and at some of the lowest settings.

thats how i'll be running it :( :(

deathberry said:
EDIT: Sorry, the 'Thor' unit for Terran has Arnie voiceover, no way I'm going back to original now :lol
ugh. just heard the now now now, I'll be back and stick around lines now. awful. hopefully this is placeholder or something and will disappear for the real thing. a couple of the other voices are pretty shitty aswell.

Campster said:
God, I forgot how speed-driven StarCraft is. Most of my recent strategy games have either been turn based (Advanced Wars, Civ IV) or slow/tactical RTS games - Empire Total War and to a lesser extent Dawn of War II.

But speed is so, so much more important here. I had built some bunkers and was collectnig a small army of siege tanks and marines and had 3000 minerals in the bank when the guy I was playing against invaded with 10 battlecruisers. In the panic before the end I used the ComSat station to look at his base - he had no less than four Starports working overtime to meet demand. :(

That's poor resource management, not a matter of speed. Why have a small army and a lot of unused money when you want the situation reversed? By the time the guy gets 10 battlecruisers its well into the end-game :D

FoxSpirit

What really kills playing original SC for me is the interface and pathfinding. Ugh. I still haven't finished the BW campaign thanks to that.

5il3nc3r

Been monitoring this thread and refreshing my inbox/battlenet account throughout the day. I'm so desperate, I'm ashamed of myself.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
5il3nc3r said:
Been monitoring this thread and refreshing my inbox/battlenet account throughout the day. I'm so desperate, I'm ashamed of myself.
i rewatched the korean announcement trailer from a cam recording of the event and tears formed in my eyes.

so yeah.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
5il3nc3r said:
Nothing to be ashamed of, I spent countless hours glued to my monitor years ago on the original. I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to revisit that experience.

notworksafe

5il3nc3r said:

Yeah me too. And every time I refresh and see the Starcraft Anthology icon in my games I get a tiny thrill...then a big let down.

Freki

5il3nc3r said:
Same for me - no reason to be ashamed ;-)
Additionally i watched livestreams the whole day - i'm so jealous :-(

Menelaus

Banned
14t8r2h.jpg
keeps ripping at my heartstrings...

notworksafe

Haha, I love how this thread is nothing but tears from us non-beta havers.

Because everyone that has it is playing right now :(

We'd be going less crazy today if we knew two things:

1) How was the first wave decided/how will the next waves be decided?

2) When is the next wave/how many waves will there be?

The Lamonster said:
We'd be going less crazy today if we knew two things:

1) How was the first wave decided/how will the next waves be decided?

2) When is the next wave/how many waves will there be/how often are the waves?
No, divulging that information will get even more people crazy. "My computer is a beast so I didn't get in? bullshit!".

notworksafe said:
Haha, I love how this thread is nothing but tears from us non-beta havers.

Because everyone that has it is playing right now :(
we should really get some gaffers together to play some Brood War instead of crying about not being in the beta :D

Top Bottom