• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Kinyou

Caspel said:
just received our beta keys; we may have several to giveaway next week. Might stream ourselves playing the title soon =)

I never noticed this before but Caspel is such a beautiful name... *starts to play with his hair*

Hey guys!

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the beta!

With all the Starcraft talk, I was wondering if any of you had a link to some strategy advice or other learning resources.

Like many of you, I love the franchise but need to practice up or I am gonna get owned. It's been far too long since I've played and even then, I was never a master.

Thanks!

anonymousAversa said:
Hey guys!

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the beta!

With all the Starcraft talk, I was wondering if any of you had a link to some strategy advice or other learning resources.

Like many of you, I love the franchise but need to practice up or I am gonna get owned. It's been far too long since I've played and even then, I was never a master.

Thanks!
You may not get owned as hard as you think when SCII finally comes out - their improved matchmaking system should eventually match you up with people of similar skill.

aznpxdd

Installed the beta and played about 10 minutes yesterday...

Now I'm stuck at work counting the hours until I can finally really play it.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
God, I forgot how speed-driven StarCraft is. Most of my recent strategy games have either been turn based (Advanced Wars, Civ IV) or slow/tactical RTS games - Empire Total War and to a lesser extent Dawn of War II.

But speed is so, so much more important here. I had built some bunkers and was collectnig a small army of siege tanks and marines and had 3000 minerals in the bank when the guy I was playing against invaded with 10 battlecruisers. In the panic before the end I used the ComSat station to look at his base - he had no less than four Starports working overtime to meet demand. :(

Campster said:
God, I forgot how speed-driven StarCraft is. Most of my recent strategy games have either been turn based (Advanced Wars, Civ IV) or slow/tactical RTS games - Empire Total War and to a lesser extent Dawn of War II.

But speed is so, so much more important here. I had built some bunkers and was collectnig a small army of siege tanks and marines and had 3000 minerals in the bank when the guy I was playing against invaded with 10 battlecruisers. In the panic before the end I used the ComSat station to look at his base - he had no less than four Starports working overtime to meet demand. :(
This is why the matchmaking system had better be good...otherwise I'll just be playing against bots :|

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Campster said:

Your biggest problem was you had 3000 minerals!

Campster said:

Starcraft is a game of economy, fast paced and direct combat, and proper harassing. I love it :lol

There aren't too many games out there where the tide of battle can change in split seconds, something that's really unique to sc.

LiK

Orangepeel said:
Starcraft is a game of economy, fast paced and direct combat, and proper harassing. I love it :lol

There aren't too many games out there where the tide of battle can change in split seconds, something that's really unique to sc.
No fucking hero units. Just like the old days

notworksafe

Campster said:

3000 minerals? Wow, that's the problem. Spend some of that! Hoarding gets you nothing in SC.

syoaran

Only 2 wins in 7 games. In all fairness, most of them have been really close - one of them was a give away (first time aganist the zerg, wanted to go in quickly and got quickly rinsed by zerglings).

On a side note - as Terrans - BAH Cruisers. All my units just start shooting at the troops and get owned. Impressed how you can use the Cruisers to confuse the enemy and then Blackhole the enemy when they bunch up on defense.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Spider from Mars said:
And I will make this dude disappear for you, killing the killer so he cant squeal to the 5-0. All this service for one beta key. I'm passing the savings on to you!
you're already dead.

[that ones a freebie caspel]

w3stfa11

In watching some of the live streams, two disappointing things stuck out. There are too many beginners (not even close to average) playing who probably have never played Starcraft before or maybe just 1 RTS ever. Secondly, most of the experienced players were simply rushing after 5 minutes with nothing but zealots or marines. They were victorious, but they're not really playing around with the new units/buildings, which is the main goal of the beta.

*sorry, I'm just bitter about not getting a cd-key*

notworksafe

LiK said:
People who hoard think they're playing Big Game Hunter maps :p

Speaking of which, what maps are available in the beta? Any old favorites returning? Are they all smaller ones, or are there some Big Game Hunter style ones for 2v2 (or 4 player FFA) or more?

I probably will spend most of my time in custom games with friends, so I'm hoping for at least a few big ones. This is once I get my key of course...pretty much everyone else I know is in :(

Campster

notworksafe said:
Speaking of which, what maps are available in the beta? Any old favorites returning? Are they all smaller ones, or are there some Big Game Hunter style ones for 2v2 (or 4 player FFA) or more?

I can get a list when I get home. However, none of the maps play exactly as they would have in Starcraft due to the presence of the Xel Naga towers. They're not a HUGE boost, but being able to lift fog of war on a quarter of the map is definitely something to fight for.

notworksafe

Campster said:
I can get a list when I get home. However, none of the maps play exactly as they would have in Starcraft due to the presence of the Xel Naga towers. They're not a HUGE boost, but being able to lift fog of war on a quarter of the map is definitely something to fight for.

Xel Naga towers?! Whoa, what? That sounds awesome. Do you have to just activate them or actively defend them?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
notworksafe said:
Xel Naga towers?! Whoa, what? That sounds awesome. Do you have to just activate them or actively defend them?
they're active only if you have a unit siting by one.

Campster

notworksafe said:

You have to actively defend them - if your units move away from them the fog of war comes back. I also tried to burrow some Zerg next to one to set a trap but to no avail - burrowed units can't keep it active.

Speaking of sensors, that's also a new thing - you can see other factions' detector's radii. So if I capture a Xel' Naga tower a giant circle will show up for you that lets you know the limits of my vision so you can try to fly/walk around it.

notworksafe

Pandaman said:
they're active only if you have a unit siting by one.

I had no idea about that. It'll be a game changer for sure!

Campster said:
Speaking of sensors, that's also a new thing - you can see other factions' detector's radii. So if I capture a Xel' Naga tower a giant circle will show up for you that lets you know the limits of my vision so you can try to fly/walk around it.

Does that apply to Com-Sat detector areas as well?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
to all those asking about beta keys, PM me and, when I have more information, I can freely provide it to you without digging through this thread.

deathberry said:
I've never played StarCraft before, but watching the HD feed is mesmerising! Hope I get invited to Beta.
You should give it a shot, all the skills u acquire will be relevant when the sequel comes out.

BishopLamont said:
You should give it a shot, all the skills u acquire will be relevant when the sequel comes out.

Totally true, and you won't have as much a crash course when the game comes out too. Play the single player campaign, its both epic in lore and teaches you the basics that you need to be decent.

Effect

The beta is under NDA right? How strict are Blizzard about that usually? For example, if a video ends up on youtube will it only last a few minutes before it's taken down?

Top Bottom