• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

commissar

taoofjord said:
Played a couple games, I'm absolutely amazed by it. Blizzard has outdone themselves again and remain #1 when it comes to designing UI's <snip> whole battlenet integration and interface is a delight to use. It all feels so tactile.
It clicks and whorls nicely, but the whole thing is so fucking ass-backwards.
I click "Leave Game" once I'm done in a match and the first button I see to confirm my selection is to quit to desktop??

I got one message in battle.net from someone I played against in a match, but there's no indication or clue as to how he messaged me without being a friend, and to add as a friend requires that I go into my past matches, right click on the name in the stats breakdown and request an add. Not to mention there's no indication you can do any of this on the name, I just started clicking on shit trying to find out how this guy messaged me (the connection broke before I could ask).
Even now I still don't know how to message randoms like he did.

You can't even send last minute messages post game, without everyone choosing to return to the game map.

The IN GAME UI is pretty and functional and um the same as the last game, but as far as usability goes for the main menu system, it's fucking awful.

In other somewhat related news, the game is awesome fun, though as you can guess, in some ways it's even more of a beta than I thought it would be.

(edit: sorry if I come across raging taoofjord, it's not you :p I'm still angry about Ubisoft)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Just played my first match and lost horribly.

But, man. It's so fucking good. The music is AAAMAAZINGGG

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tisan said:
I click "Leave Game" once I'm done in a match and the first button I see to confirm my selection is to quit to desktop??

I got one message in battle.net from someone I played against in a match, but there's no indication or clue as to how he messaged me without being a friend, and to add as a friend requires that I go into my past matches, right click on the name in the stats breakdown and request an add. Not to mention there's no indication you can do any of this on the name, I just started clicking on shit trying to find out how this guy messaged me (the connection broke before I could ask).

You can't even send last minute messages post game, without everyone choosing to return to the game map.

The IN GAME UI is pretty and functional and um the same as the last game, but as far as usability goes for the main menu system, it's fucking awful.

In other somewhat related news, the game is awesome fun, though as you can guess, in some ways it's even more of a beta than I thought it would be.
/w [name] doesnt work as your message setup?

Zinga

Banned
VERY jealous of you lucky bastards which are playing right now, SC2 is one of the reasons why PC gaming will dominate this year :D anyways, hope its good and can't wait to get my hands on it!

Zzoram

Tisan said:

(edit: sorry if I come across raging taoofjord, it's not you :p I'm still angry about Ubisoft)

1. Every Blizzard game has had that option in the ESC menu.

2. Old Battle.net let you whisper people using the "/w username" command (without the quotes). "/f add username" is how you used to add friends. Not sure if those still work.

Zzoram

Pandaman said:
what if you're terran?

A few Siege Tanks guarding his ramp would probably take them out pretty good. That plus Terran usually walls off their entrances with buildings they can move out of the way for their own troops whenever they need to.

commissar

Pandaman said:
/w [name] doesnt work as your message setup?
There's no text box.
For clarity I'm talking about the new battle.net interface, not in game.

I couldn't tell if /w [name] worked or not, as I didn't get a reply, and it didn't show up in messages.

>>1. Every Blizzard game has had that option in the ESC menu.

Yeah but my point is that it's not normally the button directly after leave game. ie. double-click and you're accidentally in Windows, instead of at the main menu.
As it stands it's leave game, move up, quit game. So not finished. Which is fine, it's a beta :)

Zzoram

Olivero said:
Holy crap mass baneling+nydus worm is hardcore. That is unstoppable.

At that point in the game, he could've done anything and won. David Kim opened with double expand, Protoss player stayed on 1 base for a while. With 3x the money, he could've chosen any unit to mass and overrun the Protoss. The Protoss should've scouted better, and punished the Zerg for playing greedy early on with a 6 Zealot rush at one of the expansions or something.

Johann

YYZ said:
Can you get banelings well before those counters though?

Yes, but there are a few things to consider. Banelings don't roll until they get their speed upgrade. They also can be safely taken out from a distance with ranged attacks since they have very few hitpoints. David Kim also had to do a very risky build in order to get his banelings to reach critical mass. He had to double expand and concentrate on baneling tech instead of air power or other ground units. A mere mortal Zerg player would have been dismantled by good scouting and an aggressive push by the Protoss.

Pandaman said:
what if you're terran?

Use Terran imba. By that I mean use the race's inherent ranged weapon advantage.

You'll notice a lot of the better Zerg playing against Terran use Roaches to absorb ranged damage while the banelings close in on them. They are still vulnerable to the Terran's splash damage and the Planetary Fortress. I saw some ridiculous kills with it in the last game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
A few Siege Tanks guarding his ramp would probably take them out pretty good. That plus Terran usually walls off their entrances with buildings they can move out of the way for their own troops whenever they need to.

Would siege tanks take to long to amass though, if Zerg goes straight for a mass baneling assault?

Zzoram

Minsc said:
Would siege tanks take to long to amass though, if Zerg goes straight for a mass baneling assault?

If Zerg goes straight for banelings, and you scout him, just attack before he's done. He'll have mainly Zerglings and nothing else, and there will be a moment when they're all eggs morphing and he has no defense.

Apath

Johann said:
Yes, but there are a few things to consider. Banelings don't roll until they get their speed upgrade. They also can be safely taken out from a distance with ranged attacks since they have very few hitpoints. David Kim also had to do a very risky build in order to get his banelings to reach critical mass. He had to double expand and concentrate on baneling tech instead of air power or other ground units. A mere mortal Zerg player would have been dismantled by good scouting and an aggressive push by the Protoss.

Use Terran imba. By that I mean use the race's inherent ranged weapon advantage.

You'll notice a lot of the better Zerg playing against Terran use Roaches to absorb ranged damage while the banelings close in on them. They are still vulnerable to the Terran's splash damage and the Planetary Fortress. I saw some ridiculous kills with it in the last game.
Where are you guys watching these intense matches? I can't find 'em anywhere =[

commissar

Pandaman said:
they're hideable windows on the bottom right, i saw em on a stream.
Those are usually friend chatboxes. This guy wasn't in my friends list though, so dunno how or where he was able to message me. I can't tell becase the UI is unintuitive :p

(also out of interest, you can detach the chat window from the dock and move it round the screen)

Stop It said:
Your wish is my command.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC0.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC1.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC2.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC3.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC4.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC5.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC6.jpg

The gamma appears to be a bit darker than they really are in these shows, which actually gives the game better depth than the default settings in games, heh.

Right here.

Anyway, time for bed as it's nearly midnight here, but I will post some more shots tomorrow.
Beautiful. Thanks!

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I do love the nuclear launch indicator for the Terran. It is so, so helpful to indicate what buildings/units will be damaged as well as how much time remains before you can get your ghost the hell out of there.

just got a realy cool idea for a custom map but i have to see to which degree its realizable with the editor when the final game ships :D cant give any hints but when i have a prototype ill let you know :D

Apath

maniac-kun said:
just got a realy cool idea for a custom map but i have to see to which degree its realisable with the editor when the final game ships :D cant give any hints but when i have a prototype ill let you know :D
One? I have at least a dozen ideas for custom maps, not to mention the half dozen maps I made for WC3 that I plan to remake/enhance for SC2.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Is there any way to make the new creep expansions stay, or do you have to keep an overlord hovering over the new creep ad infinitum?

I got an email at 1030 last night, missed it until this morning. DLing the client now. TOO SLOW!!!!!

I am psyched as hell, can't wait to get on and get my ass kicked, I suck at RTS, but I love SC so.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
just received our beta keys; we may have several to giveaway next week. Might stream ourselves playing the title soon =)

maniac-kun said:
we have to wait for second or third wave of invites :(
Now we just have to figure out how often the new waves will come.

Caspel said:
just received our beta keys; we may have several to giveaway next week. Might stream ourselves playing the title soon =)
:D

EDIT: I am a better kisser than LiK

Caspel said:
How do we win them from you or get them? <3

I have waited 10 years for this game and am an avid Starcraft junkie. I honestly just want to give them as much awesome feedback as I can come up with. It makes me sad I might not get the chance before the beta ends. So whatever I have to do to get a key I shall do!

Top Bottom