• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

BishopLamont said:
No, divulging that information will get even more people crazy. "My computer is a beast so I didn't get in? bullshit!".
I think I'm basically saying I'd be able to chill out if I knew when/if I was going to be able to beta test.

Belfast

Two games so far, only won one. Good old Zealot rush! Completely destroyed the Terran opponent who was trying to go straight for a Starport.

But I'm also playing through the 5 or so recommended "newbie" matches, which puts you on maps with more resources and a pile of rocks blocking your choke point(s). Great for those who don't want to get rushed, but you can't even break out of your own base with ground units until you destroy it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I got in simply for having attended a Blizzcon in the past, and I don't even care about SC2. I hope that makes you guys feel better.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
We'd be going less crazy today if we knew two things:

1) How was the first wave decided/how will the next waves be decided?

2) When is the next wave/how many waves will there be?

And that's info we will never know.

BishopLamont said:
Done deal.

US West, Channel #GAF

EVERYONE COME!

Ooh! I get off work in an hour so I'll be there!

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The Lamonster said:
We'd be going less crazy today if we knew two things:

1) How was the first wave decided/how will the next waves be decided?

2) When is the next wave/how many waves will there be?
Well that may quell my obsessive f5'ing however I think we'd all prefer that a beta key fell from upon high and found it's way into our email now as opposed to not now :D

I haven't played the original in a great many years and I've long ago lost my game disk, but I know I'd be getting my fix right now otherwise.

notworksafe

oxrock said:
I haven't played the original in a great many years and I've long ago lost my game disk, but I know I'd be getting my fix right now otherwise.

Do you still have your CD Key? You can register it on Battle.net and download the game. That's what I did when I found my SC case but no CD.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
notworksafe said:
Do you still have your CD Key? You can register it on Battle.net and download the game. That's what I did when I found my SC case but no CD.
I appreciate the tip, however I've not seen it for about 10 years =(
Almost tempted to spend money I don't have on the battlechest however once I finally got accepted into the beta and/or bought the game It'd most probably never see the light of day again. Alas the only solution for me is to pray that blizzard sees fit to bless me with beta access or some kind gaf soul bestows upon me the gift of game.

Yaweee

For Old Starcraft:

You can also extract the CD key from your registry if you have any old computer with the game installed. That's what I'm going to do.

Is the resolution hack something that will get you banned? I don't think it displays properly on widescreens...

FoxSpirit

Yaweee said:
For Old Starcraft:

You can also extract the CD key from your registry if you have any old computer with the game installed. That's what I'm going to do.

Is the resolution hack something that will get you banned? I don't think it displays properly on widescreens...

Yes, displays properly on widescreen but has a campaign glitch. And it's not supposed to be used on bnet.

Malfunky

Game runs ridiculously well. Video settings are defaulted to maximum. Tiny bit of stuttering, but nothing gamebreaking. Even on my system:

Pentium D 3.2 GHz
9800 GT
2 GB RAM
at 1680x1050

Haven't found any AA option yet, though..

KaYotiX

Banned
Malfunky said:
Game runs ridiculously well. Video settings are defaulted to maximum. Tiny bit of stuttering, but nothing gamebreaking. Even on my system:

Pentium D 3.2 GHz
9800 GT
2 GB RAM
at 1680x1050

Haven't found any AA option yet, though..

Force it on via Video Card settings, i have everything on Ultra with AA and its smooth as butter! (beast of a rig btw)

Bregor

Overheard on stream:

Brent: I can't believe he went one base Ultras!
Guy2: Because it Works! You can stop it if you are smart.
Guy3: Yeah, but what is Brent going to do?
Brent: What?

:lol

celebi23

Got the game's installer files from a friend (not a Beta Key though :lol ) & did some data mining :lol Turns out the menus are all made up from a bunch Flash files :lol

image79.png

(from the Menu file)

Hell_Its_About_Time.png

(from the campaign Menu file, combined 2 images that seemed to fit :lol )

Scrow, maybe you could use these in the OP? If you do, I just ask that you rehost the images. Thanks :D I love digging through Blizzard's game files. Currently listening to the music now :D

Just saw NoNY do a one-base PvT tech build to warp prisms+Dark Templar, with the drop hitting at the same time that Protoss gets their second base (for gas!) and a four warp gate pump right into Terran's base.

Was really sweet. Terran should have had an ebay up for turrets though, the detection+being able to shoot downthe warp prism would have stopped it dead cold.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just noticed the OP. Thanks for including my stuff Scrow, much appreciated. (Methinks VM might not like the bandwidth use, but hey, I officially have unltd bandwidth on my webspace)

I will be playing a bit more tonight at some stage, so more pics (Of different maps etc) incoming and perhaps a video capture or 2. I'll be zerging this time methinks, kekekekeke!
jsrv said:
Are there screenshot comparisons between the different video settings yet?
I'll make sure to include some comparisons tonight, from Low to Ultra.

Stop It said:
Just noticed the OP. Thanks for including my stuff Scrow, much appreciated. (Methinks VM might not like the bandwidth use, but hey, I officially have unltd bandwidth on my webspace)

I will be playing a bit more tonight at some stage, so more pics (Of different maps etc) incoming and perhaps a video capture or 2. I'll be zerging this time methinks, kekekekeke!

I'll make sure to include some comparisons tonight, from Low to Ultra.
Thanks man, you are really helping to ease the wait here!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
us west channel GAF!

three of us are on right now doing games!

if you dont see us we're ingame, message me as pandaman or msg bishoplamont

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:
us west channel GAF!

three of us are on right now doing games!

if you dont see us we're ingame, message me as pandaman or msg bishoplamont
Maybe Ill jump in later. Trying to relearn starcraft again. I always forget all of the commands :/

How the fuck do you stop the Zealot rush as Zerg? Man every opponent is out gathering me by about 2 to 1, and they have about 5 zealots before I even have a dozen zerglings. God I suck at RTS games based on speed.

bishopcruz said:
How the fuck do you stop the Zealot rush as Zerg? Man every opponent is out gathering me by about 2 to 1, and they have about 5 zealots before I even have a dozen zerglings. God I suck at RTS games based on speed.
play bots :p

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
bishopcruz said:

Having 2 Sunken colonies in addition to a half-dozen Zerglings can pretty easily repel most early-game rushes.

Just remember to protect your spawning pool and get Hyrda's as soon as possible.

aznpxdd

Build sunken colonies where your drone can easily reach. If the toss have overwhelming zealots coming to your base early, just surround your sunkens with drones.

kilongs

aznpxdd said:
Build sunken colonies where your drone can easily reach. If the toss have overwhelming zealots coming to your base early, just surround your sunkens with drones.

What does that do? or is that just to protect the sunken colonies from attack?

Zzoram

This game seems to punish early expansions pretty hard, mainly due to the reduced effectiveness of micro making it harder to defend with few units. From what I've seen, 3gate is becoming the standard Protoss opening build.

aznpxdd

kilongs said:
What does that do? or is that just to protect the sunken colonies from attack?

Basically. Assuming your opponent isn't very micro minded, his zealots will scramble trying to reach/attack the sunken. That's how it was in the first game anyways...

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
The Lamonster said:
play bots :p

The only AI in the beta is "Very Easy" bots and it is just dumb. as. bricks. It's great for testing new units, it's pretty abhorrent to play against.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone have any guesses for what a best case scenario release date? I was thinking 3 months of beta is realistically the best one could hope for, more likely it will be 5 months putting it to a July / August release.

Zzoram said:
This game seems to punish early expansions pretty hard, mainly due to the reduced effectiveness of micro making it harder to defend with few units. From what I've seen, 3gate is becoming the standard Protoss opening build.

I've seen a lot of 2 gate -> 4/5 gate, with the additional gates warping in as the natural expansion goes down.

I think part of the reason why there's so little FE play is the maps-some of these things are like Paranoid Android style cage matches compared to the modern Korean SC1 pro maps we're used to. The other part of it is the automining maybe? People might be getting a bit more economy from one base than they normally would due to mining optimization.

Minsc said:
Anyone have any guesses for what a best case scenario release date? I was thinking 3 months of beta is realistically the best one could hope for, more likely it will be 5 months putting it to a July / August release.

I'm thinking September at this point. They'll want to make sure everything is just right.

Lothars

Fragamemnon said:
I'm thinking September at this point. They'll want to make sure everything is just right.

I think it will be end of July / beginning of August because I still think that Cataclysm will be middle of November and it won't be just two months between both games.

Top Bottom