• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

RPGCrazied

Malfunky said:
Game runs ridiculously well. Video settings are defaulted to maximum. Tiny bit of stuttering, but nothing gamebreaking. Even on my system:

Pentium D 3.2 GHz
9800 GT
2 GB RAM
at 1680x1050

Haven't found any AA option yet, though..

Sweet, my comp is kinda like yours

Pentium D 3.4 GHz
9400GT
2gig of ram

RPGCrazied said:
well he is running it at a crazy ass resolution

i should still be able to play it

Errr.. Benchmarks for a 9400... Man those are probably close to 6000 series cards..

Its REALLY bad.

You actually may be struggling hard with any SC2 gameplay...

I'd recommend an upgrade.. asap.

EDIT:

Oh and he is not running it at a really 'crazy' resolution.. thats mid range at best.. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
ugh you guys, I don't want to run it on ultra.

medium, 1280x1024.. you dont think I could do that?!?!

Maybe. The game could be incredibly scalable, as most Blizzard games are. I'm sure you can run it. Minimum specs state a 6600 and your 9400GT is definitely faster than that. You'll be able to keep some settings at medium (like textures) without a performance hit. Some things like shaders and shadows will have to be low.

If you really wanted to you could get a big upgrade for about $100.

RPGCrazied said:
ugh you guys, I don't want to run it on ultra.

medium, 1280x1024.. you dont think I could do that?!?!

This I think you will even struggle with honestly.

I have a 7900 and my PC ended up freezing numerous times in the game due to graphics not being sufficent.

I just ordered a Radeon 5670 last night because I needed to upgrade and its a low power cheap alternative that performs on par with Nvidia 9800s.

My 7900 is like 2-3x better then your 9400.. :lol And I was running the game at low to medium settings.

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
hopefully you can turn shadows off

does it make a difference, it has 1gb ram on it?

Well, that means you would be able to pump textures up to ultra presumably without much of a hit. :lol

Still, overall performance is gonna be low-ish. Man, worst case, just see how it runs. If you really need to get more performance, then pick yourself up a 5670 like suggested above. Going to be a huge upgrade for less than $100.

RPGCrazied

TheExodu5 said:
Well, that means you would be able to pump textures up to ultra presumably without much of a hit. :lol

Still, overall performance is gonna be low-ish. Man, worst case, just see how it runs. If you really need to get more performance, then pick yourself up a 5670 like suggested above. Going to be a huge upgrade for less than $100.

well see, I have a 3ish year old comp.. dont think I can throw the latest an greatest video card in it.

Dell Optiplex 745, no its not a gaming machine.. but its all I have at the moment.

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
well see, I have a 3ish year old comp.. dont think I can throw the latest an greatest video card in it.

Dell Optiplex 745, no its not a gaming machine.. but its all I have at the moment.

Oh, we're not recommending the latest and greatest. We're recommending the lowest of what you would consider a gaming card nowadays.

edit: it does depend on your form factor though. If it's a standard tower, then you're good to go. If it's one of those 4 inch wide things...then you need to find a low profile solution.

RPGCrazied said:

Does it have a PCI Express slot? If so then a ATi Radeon 5670 works perfectly and doesnt require a direct connection to the power supply.. Just throw it in the slot.

BTW just for quick looks not the end all be all but a chart.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The 9400 is like.. waaaaaaaay on the bottom 20 of that list.

TheExodu5

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Anything really.

Not true. Probably has a 300W power supply to work with.

Any low power solution (anything that doesn't require an extra PCI power connector) should be fine.

RPGCrazied, how wide is your case, roughly?

TheExodu5

Banned

RPGCrazied

I replaced the powersupply on this, yes it was a 300w.

its now 485w. I dont know how big the case is.. its a stock case from the optiplex 745.

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I replaced the powersupply on this, yes it was a 300w.

its now 485w. I dont know how big the case is.. its a stock case from the optiplex 745.

Since you replaces the PSU with a 485W PSU, then yeah it's most likely a standard sized case.

You have tons of options then. Problem is, your CPU isn't the fastest around, so you don't want to get too good of a GPU.

You could extend your search to an HD 5750 or GTS 250 if you wanted to really push it.

TheExodu5 said:
Not true. Probably has a 300W power supply to work with.

Any low power solution (anything that doesn't require an extra PCI power connector) should be fine.

RPGCrazied, how wide is your case, roughly?
Oh right forgot bout power supply.

RPGCrazied

TheExodu5 said:
Since you replaces the PSU with a 485W PSU, then yeah it's most likely a standard sized case.

You have tons of options then. Problem is, your CPU isn't the fastest around, so you don't want to get too good of a GPU.

You could extend your search to an HD 5750 or GTS 250 if you wanted to really push it.

what would you suggest for cataclysm, sc2 and diablo 3.. thats all i wanna play

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazied said:

Since you have the PSU to work with, I'd probably extend myself to a Radeon HD 5750. At less than $130, is fairly cheap, and an absolutely enormous upgrade over your current card. I'd say it's probably even overkill for your system, but Blizzards games are very scalable which means you should be able to enjoy that extra graphical power.

RPGCrazied said:
Cataclysm and sc2 will be 5670..

5670 probably wuld be fine for low to med on Diablo 3.. its not that graphic heavy honestly.

Id go for that .. Its cheap and low power and decent.

I'm kinda not much for that 9800 that was linked above since it eats a PCI slot as well as your PCIe.. whcih may not be a problem for you but meh.. Not a big fan of eating two slots.

5750 also is a good choice like Exodus says.. or 4770

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazed, here are some performance charts for DoW2. Should give you an indication of the speed of your options:

HD5670-43.jpg

HD5670-45.jpg

Of course, you can expect to be CPU limited at this point. The CPU demands of the game you're playing are going to have the biggest effect on you. In that retrospect you may be better off with an HD 5670 as the extra cash for an HD 5750 could be wasted. We're really going to need some performance analysis from people who have lower end CPUs to see how much their CPU limits them in Starcraft 2.

Top Bottom