• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ingeniero

The Lamonster said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are these the best Terran strats against the races?

Terran vs. Zerg - MMM ball
Terran vs. Protoss - MMM ball
Terran vs. Terran - mech

Those are pretty safe builds and would work most of the times with proper micro and constant macro, there are tons of different ways to go tho, I have been having losts of succes lately with reaper harass, or cloaked banshee rush, helion harras and that kind of things, but sure MMM ball is fine.

Make sure to add a couple of ghosts to your ball vs toss, EMP the sentries and inmortals, helps a lot.

I have won many TvT with the banshee rush, works like a charm in maps were you can escape the rines easily while killing scvs, basically its 1 rax, fast 2x gas, 2x ports with lab, cloak and attack with 4 banshees, pump marauder from rax to counter reaper or early attack, a bunker can help a lot.

Can't deal with void rays yet tho, there are so powerfull, even if I scout them or have the advantage and stop marauder production and switch to marines, its already late, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a gold Terran btw

gg

Ingeniero said:
Those are pretty safe builds and would work most of the times with proper micro and constant macro, there are tons of different ways to go tho, I have been having losts of succes lately with reaper harass, or cloaked banshee rush, helion harras and that kind of things, but sure MMM ball is fine.

Make sure to add a couple of ghosts to your ball vs toss, EMP the sentries and inmortals, helps a lot.

I have won many TvT with the banshee rush, works like a charm in maps were you can escape the rines easily while killing scvs, basically its 1 rax, fast 2x gas, 2x ports with lab, cloak and attack with 4 banshees, pump marauder from rax to counter reaper or early attack, a bunker can help a lot.

Can't deal with void rays yet tho, there are so powerfull, even if I scout them or have the advantage and stop marauder production and switch to marines, its already late, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a gold Terran btw

gg
Thanks! That should help a lot. I'll try it this evening.

I've finally got the hotkeys and grouping down, so now I'm trying to learn some good strats.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
GOOD NEWS to all you eu sc2 folks in the tournament, stream worked perfectly, flaws located, fixed, all tournament games can be streamed. Best idea is for anyone planning to play a tournament game who wants it streamed to pm me or talk to me on b.net;

frack.lehat

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
ZealousD said:
Once you get out of the placement matches, you'll find a rude awakening. Most of the people in the placement matches are of copper/bronze level.

Check your replays. What's your APM?

This, I'm interested as well.

JoeMartin

Ingeniero said:

I'm a gold Terran btw

gg

Really it's a combination of good scouting and just looking for the indicators of a straight void ray tech. Terrans have it the easiest because of scan. If you can't manage to get a unit up into the base for a quick scout building 1 reaper if only occasionally just for this purpose is a GREAT idea too (if you don't want to sac a mule for a scan). Some people try to hide their stargate in a corner of their base as well and it's easy to miss it with scan in general on some maps, so I tend to use reapers for scouting as the game progresses.

Probably the biggest IM RUSHING VOIDRAYS indicator is if your scout or early aggression runs straight into a toss that has cannon choked his own base. Past that just keep some form of aggression on his front door so you can keep an eye on his unit count. If there's an unusually low number of gateway units you can assume that he's either going early robo or early stargate; throw down a scan to confirm, build to counter, continue to keep aggression on his low number of gateways.

Void rays aren't cheap either way and have a long build time, so given that you're doing some proper scouting it will be very easy to get enough vikings to deal with any kind of void ray rush, especially if you drop one of your starports on a reactor.

Fjolle

Any way to reset the ladder ranking?

I let my friend use my account, and now it's in gold. I'm maximum bronze at the moment :(

Yaweee

Fjolle said:
Any way to reset the ladder ranking?

I let my friend use my account, and now it's in gold. I'm maximum bronze at the moment :(

Nope! You're going to have do things the hard way and be a point pinata on the way down.

Your Matchmaking Rating plummets faster than your league or regular rating do, so throwing a few games (or just losing through regular play) should get you playing Bronze/Silver people soon enough.

Fjolle

Yaweee said:
Nope! You're going to have do things the hard way and be a point pinata on the way down.

Your Matchmaking Rating plummets faster than your league or regular rating do, so throwing a few games (or just losing through regular play) should get you playing Bronze/Silver people soon enough.

Cool!

:(

Ingeniero

JoeMartin said:
Really it's a combination of good scouting and just looking for the indicators of a straight void ray tech. Terrans have it the easiest because of scan. If you can't manage to get a unit up into the base for a quick scout building 1 reaper if only occasionally just for this purpose is a GREAT idea too (if you don't want to sac a mule for a scan). Some people try to hide their stargate in a corner of their base as well and it's easy to miss it with scan in general on some maps, so I tend to use reapers for scouting as the game progresses.

Probably the biggest IM RUSHING VOIDRAYS indicator is if your scout or early aggression runs straight into a toss that has cannon choked his own base. Past that just keep some form of aggression on his front door so you can keep an eye on his unit count. If there's an unusually low number of gateway units you can assume that he's either going early robo or early stargate; throw down a scan to confirm, build to counter, continue to keep aggression on his low number of gateways.

Void rays aren't cheap either way and have a long build time, so given that you're doing some proper scouting it will be very easy to get enough vikings to deal with any kind of void ray rush, especially if you drop one of your starports on a reactor.

Scouting with reaper sounds good, will give it a try.
Lets say I scout his void rays, or eh cannons in choke so void rays are very likely, I guess stoping marine production and build 3 starport to mass vikings would be a better counter, mass void rays rape marines because of the 7 range, I think this should be lowered to 6.

I just lost to a P, mass cannons on base and natural, I went for tank to early push, went well and killed his natural, I had like 3 tanks and 15 marauder, he hid stargates in base and attacked with 3 VRs and kept on sending reinforcements , since I had 3 rax I massed marines but they died so quick, I build 3 starport but it was too late, mass VRs are so imba.

Thanks for the tips

Sarye

Ingeniero said:
Scouting with reaper sounds good, will give it a try.
Lets say I scout his void rays, or eh cannons in choke so void rays are very likely, I guess stoping marine production and build 3 starport to mass vikings would be a better counter, mass void rays rape marines because of the 7 range, I think this should be lowered to 6.

I just lost to a P, mass cannons on base and natural, I went for tank to early push, went well and killed his natural, I had like 3 tanks and 15 marauder, he hid stargates in base and attacked with 3 VRs and kept on sending reinforcements , since I had 3 rax I massed marines but they died so quick, I build 3 starport but it was too late, mass VRs are so imba.

Thanks for the tips

you don't need to build 3 starports. Max maybe two with one reactor core. you can pump out vikings much faster than he can with void rays. Plus, the added benefit of being able to harass his workers is a plus.

Yaweee

Like Sarye said, you don't need three starports for mass Vikings.

Remember, you Reactors and Tech Labs are completely interchangeable between all Terran buildings. Build a Reactor with your Factor as soon as it finishes, then float it away and let your newly built Starport claim the Reactor for Mass Viking pumpage.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Lamonster said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are these the best Terran strats against the races?

Terran vs. Zerg - MMM ball
Terran vs. Protoss - MMM ball
Terran vs. Terran - mech

I've been finding a ton of success with a Marine-heavy MMM ball + a sprinkling of Thors. Thors seem to work in a variety of ways against most people. If they focus on your MMM ball, the Thors will do massive damage from behind and decimate their forces. However, a lot of people will try and focus their armies on the Thors since they are easy targets. This allows your MMM ball to attack unmolested, and as long as you have a few SCVs with your army to keep your Thors up, you shouldn't have any problems unless your opponent focus on micro and takes out the SCVs first.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
what's optimal for a mineral patch, 2 or 3 scvs? i always thought it was 16 per 8 patches but i saw loading screen tip that informed me that it's 3 per patch

mbmonk

Zefah said:
I've been finding a ton of success with a Marine-heavy MMM ball + a sprinkling of Thors. Thors seem to work in a variety of ways against most people. If they focus on your MMM ball, the Thors will do massive damage from behind and decimate their forces. However, a lot of people will try and focus their armies on the Thors since they are easy targets. This allows your MMM ball to attack unmolested, and as long as you have a few SCVs with your army to keep your Thors up, you shouldn't have any problems unless your opponent focus on micro and takes out the SCVs first.

That is pretty clever. I read in a thread on teamliquid that you could set your SCV's to 'auto repair'. In theory the SCVs might see the Thor being damaged and start to repair it automatically. If that works it would reduce the amount of micro you have to do to keep the Thor alive.

The one thing that jumps out at me is High Templars for Protoss. Feedback and Storm could put this to a quick end. First Feedback the Thor ( Could do massive damage if he has a large amount of energy ) and then Storm to finish the Thor off or atleast kill of the SCV's. But that is all theory. One DT could cast both spells if they had enough energy.

Pretty cool though.

Jokey665

-COOLIO- said:
what's optimal for a mineral patch, 2 or 3 scvs? i always thought it was 16 per 8 patches but i saw loading screen tip that informed me that it's 3 per patch
From what I understand, 3 per patch gives the most minerals per minute, but relatively low minerals per minute per peon, and 3 per patch is only a fairly small increase over 2 per patch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
-COOLIO- said:

There is a loading message that says 3 per patch of minerals / vespene gas is optimal. More than 2 workers per patch does produce some wait time, though. If you had multiple bases, it would be better to split your workers evenly than to make sure you have 3 on every patch in just one base.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mbmonk said:
That is pretty clever. I read in a thread on teamliquid that you could set your SCV's to 'auto repair'. In theory the SCVs might see the Thor being damaged and start to repair it automatically. If that works it would reduce the amount of micro you have to do to keep the Thor alive.

The one thing that jumps out at me is High Templars for Protoss. Feedback and Storm could put this to a quick end. First Feedback the Thor ( Could do massive damage if he has a large amount of energy ) and then Storm to finish the Thor off or atleast kill of the SCV's. But that is all theory. One DT could cast both spells if they had enough energy.

Pretty cool though.

Yeah Storm could definitely be a good counter to big groups of units which is what Terrans tend to have. However, I have yet to see anyone use High Templars in SC2 yet, so I don't really know. I am only a Bronze / Silver player so High Templars may be more common in the higher levels, but most Protoss players I see either go for mass Void Rays or Stalkers.

Ingeniero

Just keep producing SCVs nonstop, 24 is the saturation point per base, but keep building to send them to new expos...
Ending with 50-60+ SCVs is pretty standard.

Deadly

Ingeniero said:
Just keep producing SCVs nonstop, 24 is the saturation point per base, but keep building to send them to new expos...
Ending with 50-60+ SCVs is pretty standard.
Including or excluding the 6 for gas?

msv

fanboi said:
Jesus H christ... comp crasched 3 times... gnight EU
lol, awww

damn b.net fix that shit! people getting dropped every time, being a host is inviting people every second now :eek:

Just had a really fun game. It was 2v2, had my friend delay the other team as long as possible with a mix of banelings and roaches while I amassed dozens of mutas, then went around and harassed the hell out of them. So much fun. Eventually the other team went all anti-air and my friend rushed them with a bunch of roaches and they couldn't do anything about them.

Edit: I had 50 mutas by the end, pretty hard to beat.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ingeniero said:
30 SCV, 24 on minerals plus 3 on each gas.

You start getting diminishing returns after 18 SCVs on minerals. If you've hit more than 2 SCVs per patch, you should be expanding.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They need to work on scrolling smoothness. The game runs at 60 fps (according to fraps), but there is a jerkiness present while scrolling around the map. Definitely irritating as you spend so much time scrolling around the map.

Deadly

fanboi said:
Jesus H christ... comp crasched 3 times... gnight EU
Are crashes happening often to everyone? During loading screen my two opponents weren't even loading and when the game started they both automatically dropped/left. Easy win at least :lol

Feep

Banned
ZealousD said:
Once you get out of the placement matches, you'll find a rude awakening. Most of the people in the placement matches are of copper/bronze level.

Check your replays. What's your APM?
Hmm, I thought they would be higher. I saw some tactics I understand though: proper walling off, scouting, a bit of micro in battles. Oh well, I guess I'm just lower than I thought.

My APM was hovering around 75ish. Now that I look around on the internets, it turns out that isn't very good. :lol :lol :lol

I'll finish my last placement match tonight, and then proceed to get my ass kicked, I guess.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
man i HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE hitting the windows key by accident

i wish there was an option to stop it from minimizing full screen games

Kamillio

Neo Member

There is. Somewhere in the options menu, forget exactly where. Probably controls... there's an option to disable the windows key in-game. Very handy :D

Just lost to mass Void Rays as Terran. I even scouted him out before he made a single one and started pumping Vikings with a reactor. Then when the battle came my Vikings decided to ignore my focos fire commands and start auto targeting everything...I had to continuously click one target for them to focus on it but it was extremely inefficient as I just wanted to shift attack focus fire each Void Ray. Suffice to say I lost that battle and lost the game.

dark10x said:
They need to work on scrolling smoothness. The game runs at 60 fps (according to fraps), but there is a jerkiness present while scrolling around the map. Definitely irritating as you spend so much time scrolling around the map.
It used to be smooth prior to patch 9 - 10 (forgot which one made it worse).

Yaweee

-COOLIO- said:

That other guy says you can turn it off, but in my household it is custom to pop that fucker out with a spoon. No more accidents!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Kamillio said:
There is. Somewhere in the options menu, forget exactly where. Probably controls... there's an option to disable the windows key in-game. Very handy :D
awwwwwwwwwesome

Yaweee said:
That other guy says you can turn it off, but in my household it is custom to pop that fucker out with a spoon. No more accidents!

lol. do you have a bag of windows keys?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So another 18 hours of practice today.

What the fuck.

Good night.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Yaweee said:
:lol
I have to close steam everything I play SC2 because Ill get messages on it and tab me out of SC2, thats annoying :(

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yoshichan said:
So another 18 hours of practice today.

What the fuck.

Good night.
same here, why do i even care so much about getting good at this game!?

school is more important dammit >__<

Totakeke

Sarye said:
see my bold above

Thanks man.

I think Void Rays vs Stalkers with blink only goes in favor of void rays if they use an edge where stalkers can't really reach them. I don't think it's possible to win in an open field because the void rays will never get charged enough to kill the stalkers if they keep blinking all the time?

MicVlaD said:
It used to be smooth prior to patch 9 - 10 (forgot which one made it worse).

I thought it was my new windows 7 install that was somehow causing the unsmooth scrolling. Good to know I'm not the only one. I seemed to get it after patch 11.

Top Bottom