• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro said:
Since two of my Protoss buddies didn't know this I'll post it in the thread.

Chronoboost lowers the cooldown time of warp gates along with the transformation time.

Very useful to know, I did not think of this either :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anomarad said:
Timing Push

I'm actually not 100% on the definition of this yet. Does it just mean that you push out with your units at an optimal time? For example, pushing out when your enemy is weak or trying to expand?

Yaweee

ZealousD said:
I'm actually not 100% on the definition of this yet. Does it just mean that you push out with your units at an optimal time? For example, pushing out when your enemy is weak or trying to expand?

It is a pretty vague term, but it is generally a big push that you've been preparing for when you have an advantage over your opponent, usually due to him having wasted some resources into teching or an expansion but hasn't yet seen the real benefit of that investment. At least that is my interpretation.

Won

Need patch to fix that exit crash now! So annoying. :(

Also finally pre-ordered myself a CE! Thor pet here I come!

And I only today saw the Facebook/battle.net announcment........ o_O

ZealousD said:

Most of the time it refers to an attack that syncs to the completion of a weapon (or armor, or any other upgrade, I guess) upgrade, to give your units an advantage in the upcoming battle.

iamblades

ZealousD said:

Basically it that if you know both build orders, you can see the times where your army has an advantage over his, and push then.

ie. if your opponent fast expanded, and you did a quick tech to robo fac, you should do an immortal timing push to where your army gets to him before he starts getting significant income from the expo.

Or you see your opponent going fast robo, so you drop more gates and do a 4 warpgate push, because you know that until he gets a couple immortals out, you will have a much superior force. Because 4 gates produce units so much faster than 2 gate robo, you have the timing advantage.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm just disappointed that chrono boost doesn't do things like improve photon cannon fire rates. That would be pretty awesome, albeit broken. :lol

A timing attack is an attack that exploits a window of opportunity in the opponent's build. For example, let's say you're pumping units out of four gateways on one base and not sparing any extra resources on either higher tech or an expansion, and your opponent instead went three gateways into an expo. Eventually, your opponent will have a higher income than you because of the expo, but before the expo starts to pull in money there's a period of time where your army is larger than his, because you spent everything on your army up front and he spent some money on the expo in the hopes of getting a larger army later. Attacking him during this period of time is advantageous to you and is considered a timing attack.

Aesthet1c

Anyone know what can be done against speedling rush cheese? I had a ZvZ match earlier, and I usually only make like 6 lings, and i use them for scouting before teching up to roaches. Well by the time I had like 4 roaches, he had made about 10 lings, got the speed upgrade and just went straight for my drones. I was able to fend them off, but he must have done nothing but pump lings the rest of the match, because it was just a non stop wave of them, and after a while they just overwhelmed me.

Now looking back, I feel like I didn't have many options. I could just pump lings, but he killed my queen, so he had lings coming faster than I could keep up with. I tried pumping roaches, but the lings eventually overtook them. I probably should have made some spine crawlers, but with that many lings, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made.

I guess maybe I just didn't scout correctly.. but when I went in, he had about the same amount of lings I had, with double gas, so I was expecting him to go roach/hyrdas. I didn't want to lose the 6 lings I had so I backed out and continued pumping roaches until he hit me with the intial 10 lings.

Yaweee

Aesthet1c said:
Anyone know what can be done against speedling rush cheese? I had a ZvZ match earlier, and I usually only make like 6 lings, and i use them for scouting before teching up to roaches. Well by the time I had like 4 roaches, he had made about 10 lings, got the speed upgrade and just went straight for my drones. I was able to fend them off, but he must have done nothing but pump lings the rest of the match, because it was just a non stop wave of them, and after a while they just overwhelmed me.

Now looking back, I feel like I didn't have many options. I could just pump lings, but he killed my queen, so he had lings coming faster than I could keep up with. I tried pumping roaches, but the lings eventually overtook them. I probably should have made some spine crawlers, but with that many lings, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made.

I guess maybe I just didn't scout correctly.. but when I went in, he had about the same amount of lings I had, with double gas, so I was expecting him to go roach/hyrdas. I didn't want to lose the 6 lings I had so I backed out and continued pumping roaches until he hit me with the intial 10 lings.

ZvZ can be a very rough match.

Generally, the answer to mass lings is banelings, due to splash damage being enough to kill a zergling even near the outer edge of the splash radius. One baneling can easily kill 6~10 zerglings if the opponent doesn't micro to pop them away from his mass with a single unit. NEVER use attack move with banelings or else they're prone to being kamikazed by just one zergling. If a baneling dies, it detonates, so just right click move on the target.

Two roaches side by side can block a ramp, and it will take a while for the zerglings to kill either to bust through, especially if they have backup. Don't let the lings stream into your base.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Aesthet1c said:

Try blocking your choke with your roaches. Just like a few zealots can block a choke and keep a whole swarm of zerglings at bay, roaches can do the same thing.

Yaweee

Ashhong said:
i thought right clicking is the same as attack move? or is that only if you right click on an actual unit?

Right clicking tells your target to move to that location, and attack if it is an enemy unit/building. However, they won't auto-acquire other targets that get within range, which is the purpose of Attack-move.

Ashhong

Yaweee said:
Right clicking tells your target to move to that location, and attack if it is an enemy unit/building. However, they won't auto-acquire other targets that get within range, which is the purpose of Attack-move.

I knew I should have kept pressing attack move. people kept saying that right clicking was the shorter way to do it, but now i see that they only meant if you are clicking on an enemy. so many wasted lives..

Won

Ashhong said:
if i make it fullscreen its clear enough that i can read the text. what more do you need?

I'm just wondering why your first thought revolves around cheating and not how awesome having a stream is. :(

Ashhong

Won said:
I'm just wondering why your first thought revolves around cheating and not how awesome having a stream is. :(

because once when i was watching HD play 2v2, i tried to log into SC2 and hope to be matched against him so i can beat him by watching his stream :lol

cramcakes

Yaweee said:
ZvZ can be a very rough match.

Generally, the answer to mass lings is banelings, due to splash damage being enough to kill a zergling even near the outer edge of the splash radius. One baneling can easily kill 6~10 zerglings if the opponent doesn't micro to pop them away from his mass with a single unit. NEVER use attack move with banelings or else they're prone to being kamikazed by just one zergling. If a baneling dies, it detonates, so just right click move on the target.

Two roaches side by side can block a ramp, and it will take a while for the zerglings to kill either to bust through, especially if they have backup. Don't let the lings stream into your base.

Can someone tell me some specifics on this? Right click the ground near the enemy lings, or right click a zergling in the middle of the pack?

I've seen on higher level games they send in banelings in two or three at a time rather than the whole group at once, so I know that part already.

IZZO

Neo Member
Ashhong said:
because once when i was watching HD play 2v2, i tried to log into SC2 and hope to be matched against him so i can beat him by watching his stream :lol
this is off topic but I can't stop staring at your avatar.
where is it from?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Milabrega said:
EU's streamed playlist is amazing.
:lol :lol Camp music and sc2 go together!

Back on tomorrow, great to know we have all the fixes for the stream, perfect cast tonight, no issues at all, best quality i can get it too, livestream caps at 500kb until you buy an upgrade. I can get it a bit better with tweaking im sure but if not its pretty damn good as is :D

Just finished my placement matches. Won 3 and lost 2 and ended up in a Bronze league. I play as a P and my APM is around 42-49 mostly but damn I suck at keeping my money low and Chrono boosting stuff.
I also need to learn some basic timing for stuff. Last game I played I thought I had this guy, but he comes in with 2 DT and my Obs was to far away :(

Oh well, need to play more but I'm stuck at watching streams all the time

Neckbeard

Probably been asked a dozen times before, but anyone got a good strategy site?

I'm not looking for general tips, I'm looking for detailed build orders, (when to 9 rax, etc.) what units combat what, and so forth. Mostly looking for Zerg strats, but I suppose I'll take what I can get.

Thanks GAF

Top Bottom