• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zertez

Guess Im in the minority who thinks walling up is bad cheesy design. The choke points should stay, that is a key part of any map, but I think all races should have to worry about early harassment. I know the Zerg have ways to build a temporary wall later, but at that point it really doesnt matter. By the time the Zerg can do some comparable, walls are pointless if someone wants in your base. You can tech into air and bypass walls altogether as well. If they were to take away Terrans ability to wall, I dont think it hurt that much. They have tools to defend against anything the Zerg or Protoss can throw at them. Terran players would just be forced to pay more attention to base defense in the first 4 minutes. After then building walls do not make much of a difference.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Lings on creep are pretty good base defense. So is a queen for early anti-air.

The Terran wall becomes a liability later game and many Terrans are not walling off vs P because it can become 2 free supply depots to immortals later on.

Zertez said:
Guess Im in the minority who thinks walling up is bad cheesy design. The choke points should stay, that is a key part of any map, but I think all races should have to worry about early harassment. I know the Zerg have ways to build a temporary wall later, but at that point it really doesnt matter. By the time the Zerg can do some comparable, walls are pointless if someone wants in your base. You can tech into air and bypass walls altogether as well. If they were to take away Terrans ability to wall, I dont think it hurt that much. They have tools to defend against anything the Zerg or Protoss can throw at them. Terran players would just be forced to pay more attention to base defense in the first 4 minutes. After then building walls do not make much of a difference.
Have you ever played Terran? If you don't wall you will get owned so hard by speedlings that run in and target your SCVs. How exactly am I supposed to defend against that if I don't wall? And please don't tell me that I'm supposed to put marines/marauders at the choke.

Zertez

rooflapimp said:
Have you ever played Terran? If you don't wall you will get owned so hard by speedlings that run in and target your SCVs. How exactly am I supposed to defend against that if I don't wall? And please don't tell me that I'm supposed to put marines/marauders at the choke.
Hellions seem to do the trick pretty well, but you will need some Marines for the first few rounds of non speedlings.

iamblades

Zertez said:

As I said, zerg don't need to wall in, they will have a queen at their hatch, and zerglings are more than fast enough to chase down any unit in the game on creep.

If terran couldn't wall in, they would lose every time against a zealot or zergling rush.

You could say that this is because marines are underpowered, but they are really cheap, and get more and more powerful vs other races tier 1 units the more you get in a ball. if marines were any more powerful, the would dominate the whole game in mass. It's just that the first 2 marines will not be able to do anything straight up against the first 6 lings or the first zealot or two. So they need to be able to wall in, while the other races(especially zerg) don't

1. Do shields that sentry units have stack?
2. Can I view older version replays?
3. Any protoss replay packs like Zerg one few pages back? If not is there a site with "top" level replays not guys with like 20 apm.

Won

Zertez said:

Early race design is much more complicated than "wall or no wall". As an example, Terrans get an easy wall, but have no way to boost their worker production. Without a wall Zerg would have no problem rushing in, doing lots of damage, while they boost their own eco with spawn larva.

fanboi

Banned
Won said:
Early race design is much more complicated than "wall or no wall". As an example, Terrans get an easy wall, but have no way to boost their worker production. Without a wall Zerg would have no problem rushing in, doing lots of damage, while they boost their own eco with spawn larva.

Won, sign up for the EU tournament, lacking one player.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Melhisedek said:
1. Do shields that sentry units have stack?
2. Can I view older version replays?
3. Any protoss replay packs like Zerg one few pages back? If not is there a site with "top" level replays not guys with like 20 apm.
No.
Yes.
Not off the top of my head (besides NoNy)
(Mostly Phoenix play in this pack, but he goes 25-3 http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/LiquidNonY/nony_rep_pack.zip)

Orb knows best might be of some use to you.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119564
-
Artosis just released a Zerg rep pack so any Zergs should take a look at them.

http://www.mymym.com/en/news/18544.html
Artosis is a 1800 point plat player and StarCraft legend so having 100 games from him is pretty awesome. Also included is about 5 games vs the #1 Terran on the Asian server).

fanboi

Banned
Won said:
Nah, just haven't played in a while. Not much time and SSFIV and all that.

Sign me up if you really need one more.

Hm, I'll wait untill tonight, no more and you are in.

What race then? Is it terran still?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Totakeke said:
I found that replay pack, but I watched through 10 replays so far and there's 0 pheonix in the games at all... are we sure he didn't just mistakenly type phoenix instead of sentries? Because that's what it seems like to me.
I can't say since I only watched a few reps on day[9] of him using Phoenix :D

mbmonk

MisterAnderson said:
Well it's cheaper than teching to an Observer.

Sentry: 50/100
Hallucinate: 100/100
Total: 150/200

Robotics Facility: 200/200
Observer: 50/100
Total: 250/300

I didn't count the Cybernetic Core's cost to the Hallucinate cost since you pretty much NEED this building unless you're doing some kind of Gateway cheese. If you're doing a more unorthodox Protoss build like a fast Stargate or something, it's usually a good idea to skip the Robotics Facility in which case getting Hallucinate for scouting purposes is a good idea since Observers are going to be coming much later.

I'm not suggesting skipping Robotics often, as it's a pretty essential building itself, but I'm just trying to put into perspective that Hallucinate is a great Observer alternative and even if you're not going to need it for scouting, if you know you're going to be getting lots of Sentries it's a very versatile ability to have that is often overlooked.

I would agree to get hallucinate if you are skipping robo. If you are planning on getting the robo anyway then you would have to make a case that you would be using hallucinate for more than just scouting for it to be worth it.

I looked at build times a couple of weeks back and getting hallucinate is slightly faster than teching and building an observer. But it's not that much faster.

I did the calculation of (Robo build time + observer build time) versus ( build sentry time + time required for sentry to get the additional 50 energy to cast hallucinate) I didn't include the time to research hallucinate because it can be done concurrently, and the time difference wasn't much at all. You get observers just slightly later, and if you are going to get units out of the robo anyways observer probably the best way to go in that case.

One cute relative timing I found for hallucenate was when your Sentry is 50% complete building at the gateway, start research halluncenate. Litterally, right when the research is finished, the sentry you were building will have the required 100 energy to cast the spell. That is w/o chrono boosting anything and assuming you are not using warp gates.

Sarye

Totakeke said:
Does anyone have a good replay pack of protoss 1v1 games? I just started playing 2 days ago and I'm in the silver league. I'm starting to get a grasp of what counters what but I need serious build order knowledge. For example I can scout a zerg and see him going roaches, but my builds are always too slow to pump enough immortals in time to counter his push.

I follow this build for the most part. I tweak it depending on what my opponent is doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah69S-TsQa8&playnext_from=TL&videos=f6APrNHYYb0

Things to note:
-Your 2nd pylon and Gate should finish at the same time.
-As SOON as your Gate is done, you should build a CC.
-As SOON as your CC is done you should build a robo
-Chronoboost 1st immortal.

For the most part, get CC before 2nd Gate

You should be able to get the 1st immortal out in 6 minutes with practice.

Addendum: This is also a good way to get Void Rays early if instead of robo you build stargate. It'll depend on what you scouted to get the right counter.

fanboi

Banned
First GAF EU tournament:

1. This tournament is double elminination, best out of 3. That means every matchup must consist of at least 2 games. If a participant loses a matchup, they will have another chance before they are removed from the bracket.

2. Each round has a deadline of 3 DAYS, or 72 hours. The deadline to get your matches done will be at 12 PM (NOON) CET on the third day. For example, a round will start at Noon on Monday, and will end at Noon Thursday. The next round will start on Noon Thursday, ending Noon Sunday. Communicate with your opponents and upcoming opponents as soon as possible so you do not miss the deadline!

Participants are allowed/encourage to start up later matchups if timing/scheduling and the bracket allows. However, this will not affect the timing of the deadlines unless every matchup in the next round is completed before the deadline of the current round.

IMPORTANT! The first round is an exception, and will have a 5 DAY deadline since not everybody will know the tournament starts the moment this is posted..

3. Participants are asked to "check in" whenever a new round begins. To check in, post your Starcraft 2 ID and state you are ready for the round. This is done to help decide the winner in cases when you and your opponent do not finish the matchup before the deadline. If one participant checks in but the other does not, than the player who checks in automatically wins the matchup if they deadline isn't met. If both or neither player checks in, than the winner is determined through coin toss. However, you cannot win twice in a row via coin toss. Since we have non gaffers in this tournament this rule can't be used to full extent. Judge (fanboi) will determine who has been most active and give the victory to that person.

4. Players must choose a race option during their first matchup. For example, a player who chooses Zerg for the first round must remain Zerg for the rest of the tournament. A player who chooses Random must remain Random for the rest of the tournament.

5. At the completion of a matchup, one of the participants must post the outcome of the game in this thread. It's also highly recommended that you post your replays with the results. Upload them to the file sharing site of your choice. Try http://www.mediafire.com/ or http://www.megaupload.com

6. MAP RULES. First round map will be Steppes of War. Second round map will be Lost Temple. Third round map, if required, will be Blistering Sands.

7. No builds are off limits. Proxies, 6 pools, cannon rushes, etc are all fair game.

8. Pausing is allowed for a maximum time of 2 minuets per pause, but please keep it to a minimum.

9. GL HF GG

WE WILL START WHEN WE GET 16 PLAYERS, DOESN'T NEED TO BE GAFers

Confirmed Players:

fanboi.gaf - Z
FoxSpirit.legacy - T
ChrisXIII.fra - ?
msv.whaeva - T
NIN.gaf - Z
Sykra.vracki - P
lockon.flonty - P (non gaffer)
zoukka.fin - Z
Knives.piski - R (non gaffer)
Belgorim.alvar - R
Oldern.Gaf - P
pnSTYLE.dima - Z
MiROi - T (non gaffer)
Rainy.raph - P
Invader.zim - P
*Won.tollo - T (might not be in if Frack decide to be in)

Bracket:

* = Non gaffers

SC2EU.png

NO DATE HAS BEEN SET YET WHEN THE FIRST GAME SHOULD BE DONE

Feel free to play anyway (only change is if Won will play or not)

Totakeke

Sarye said:
I follow this build for the most part. I tweak it depending on what my opponent is doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah69S-TsQa8&playnext_from=TL&videos=f6APrNHYYb0

Things to note:
-Your 2nd pylon and Gate should finish at the same time.
-As SOON as your Gate is done, you should build a CC.
-As SOON as your CC is done you should build a robo
-Chronoboost 1st immortal.

For the most part, get CC before 2nd Gate

You should be able to get the 1st immortal out in 6 minutes with practice.

Addendum: This is also a good way to get Void Rays early if instead of robo you build stargate. It'll depend on what you scouted to get the right counter.

Thanks. I shall study it closely.

Some other questions regarding protoss.

Is it impossible for void rays to win against stalkers with blink? Even with even numbers, it doesn't seem possible for the void rays to actually do much damage. Can you actually micro this or is it a lost cause?

What's with high templars? Do they just suck now? Also is Colossus useful against anything other than marines, zerglings and the protoss gateway units? Other than those they don't seem to worth the tech and cost.

And with the game being so much hard counter based, are upgrades pretty much not worth getting unless you're already going for a push?

Meteorain

fanboi said:
First GAF EU tournament:

1. This tournament is double elminination, best out of 3. That means every matchup must consist of at least 2 games. If a participant loses a matchup, they will have another chance before they are removed from the bracket.

2. Each round has a deadline of 3 DAYS, or 72 hours. The deadline to get your matches done will be at 12 PM (NOON) CET on the third day. For example, a round will start at Noon on Monday, and will end at Noon Thursday. The next round will start on Noon Thursday, ending Noon Sunday. Communicate with your opponents and upcoming opponents as soon as possible so you do not miss the deadline!

Participants are allowed/encourage to start up later matchups if timing/scheduling and the bracket allows. However, this will not affect the timing of the deadlines unless every matchup in the next round is completed before the deadline of the current round.

IMPORTANT! The first round is an exception, and will have a 5 DAY deadline since not everybody will know the tournament starts the moment this is posted..

3. Participants are asked to "check in" whenever a new round begins. To check in, post your Starcraft 2 ID and state you are ready for the round. This is done to help decide the winner in cases when you and your opponent do not finish the matchup before the deadline. If one participant checks in but the other does not, than the player who checks in automatically wins the matchup if they deadline isn't met. If both or neither player checks in, than the winner is determined through coin toss. However, you cannot win twice in a row via coin toss. Since we have non gaffers in this tournament this rule can't be used to full extent. Judge (fanboi) will determine who has been most active and give the victory to that person.

4. Players must choose a race option during their first matchup. For example, a player who chooses Zerg for the first round must remain Zerg for the rest of the tournament. A player who chooses Random must remain Random for the rest of the tournament.

5. At the completion of a matchup, one of the participants must post the outcome of the game in this thread. It's also highly recommended that you post your replays with the results. Upload them to the file sharing site of your choice. Try http://www.mediafire.com/ or http://www.megaupload.com

6. MAP RULES. First round map will be Steppes of War. Second round map will be Lost Temple. Third round map, if required, will be Blistering Sands.

7. No builds are off limits. Proxies, 6 pools, cannon rushes, etc are all fair game.

8. Pausing is allowed for a maximum time of 2 minuets per pause, but please keep it to a minimum.

9. GL HF GG

WE WILL START WHEN WE GET 16 PLAYERS, DOESN'T NEED TO BE GAFers

Confirmed Players:

fanboi.gaf - Z
FoxSpirit.legacy - T
ChrisXIII.fra - ?
msv.whaeva - T
NIN.gaf - Z
Sykra.vracki - P
lockon.flonty - P (non gaffer)
zoukka.fin - Z
Knives.piski - R (non gaffer)
Belgorim.alvar - R
Oldern.Gaf - P
pnSTYLE.dima - Z
MiROi - T (non gaffer)
Rainy.raph - P
Invader.zim - P
*Won.tollo - T (might not be in if Frack decide to be in)

Bracket:

* = Non gaffers

SC2EU.png

NO DATE HAS BEEN SET YET WHEN THE FIRST GAME SHOULD BE DONE

Feel free to play anyway (only change is if Won will play or not)

Will there be any spectator slots?

msv

Meteorain said:
Will there be any spectator slots?
I don't see why not, it's EU tho, whats ur ID? Would be really awesome if someone streams it!! And get everyone on skype/vent and cast the shit out of the games :D

And my first opponent is knives? Fuck that noise! I'm so done for :/

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
msv said:
I don't see why not, it's EU tho, whats ur ID? Would be really awesome if someone streams it!! And get everyone on skype/vent and cast the shit out of the games :D

My setup is pretty good, hopefully the kinks are ironed out

Dynamic3

Finally got my account back, according to Blizz it was hacked, and got reported/shut down immediately. The girl who I spoke to asked if I had entered my account info anywhere aside from b.net, and now that I think about it, I linked my WoW achievements to GiantBomb right around the time my acct. got hacked, hmmm.

cramcakes

Won a few and lost a bunch yesterday. My early scouting is getting better and I'm pretty good about placing zerglings around so I can see most of the map, but I tend to not build enough units. I end up winning against those who turtle but anyone who masses up and pushes usually brings me down.

2v2 can lead to some epic games but it's so rare to find a partner that actually helps.

Sarye

Totakeke said:
Is it impossible for void rays to win against stalkers with blink? Even with even numbers, it doesn't seem possible for the void rays to actually do much damage. Can you actually micro this or is it a lost cause?
You can micro this and it is much easier to have more stalkers than more void rays, however in most cases, a mass number of void rays is devastating, even with a lot of stalkers

What's with high templars? Do they just suck now? Also is Colossus useful against anything other than marines, zerglings and the protoss gateway units? Other than those they don't seem to worth the tech and cost.
HT does not suck. For example, most people mass their Void Rays and other units together. A few well placed Psi Storm can devastate their units. I personally don't use them because I really suck at micro but I can see them turning the tide of battle.

Colossus is also useful for harrassing their mineral patch. Build a Warp Prism and drop in base. I've seen players use this like a reaver drop. They are devastating because they kill workers fast. It's all about what the other opponent does. If the opponent goes mass Mauraders with little Marines, then building a colossus is a bad idea. But if they are heavy marines, a colossus is very worth it.

And with the game being so much hard counter based, are upgrades pretty much not worth getting unless you're already going for a push?
upgrades are always worth it. It can be the difference of changing a 3 shot to a 2 shot kill. Plus it keeps T1 units worthwhile against higher techs

see my bold above

Lumine

Hey need a bit of help running the beta. I can't post on the SC2 tech forums because you need to select a SC2 character to post which I can't make because I can't launch the game. :(

The downloader and installer work fine, but when it tries to update it's somehow finished in a matter of seconds. In other words it doesn't update at all.
Pressing Play will launch the game. However the login screen will only allow me to enter my account name/mail but no password. Hitting enter will give me an error saying "Invalid Version. Please try again later."
Quitting the game will no longer allow me to launch it. Opening SC2 beta will open up a small screen with SC2 written on it and it stays there. No loading occurs, nothing happens.
I can launch the game through SC2switcher.exe though. However all I get is the same sitation as before. No pass asked and "Invalid version" error.

I have tried re-downloading and re-installing. There was a similar topic on the US SC2 forums but the problem was fixed for them by switching proxy to auto-detect in LAN-setting in internet explorer. Mine was already on this. I even updated explorer for this. I'm also on Windows XP.

So anyone have any idea? Anyone ran into similar problems maybe? I'm thinking the problem lies in that the launcher/updater doesn't properly connect through my connection, but I don't know why. Everything else works fine. WoW updates fine as well. :p

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
To beat mass void rays, you pretty much have to engage them before they reach your base, so they can't charge up.

Once you do that it's just a matter of shuffling.

Meteorain

msv said:

ID is Meteorain.sunfang

cramcakes

Lumine said:
Hey need a bit of help running the beta. I can't post on the SC2 tech forums because you need to select a SC2 character to post which I can't make because I can't launch the game. :(

The downloader and installer work fine, but when it tries to update it's somehow finished in a matter of seconds. In other words it doesn't update at all.
Pressing Play will launch the game. However the login screen will only allow me to enter my account name/mail but no password. Hitting enter will give me an error saying "Invalid Version. Please try again later."
Quitting the game will no longer allow me to launch it. Opening SC2 beta will open up a small screen with SC2 written on it and it stays there. No loading occurs, nothing happens.
I can launch the game through SC2switcher.exe though. However all I get is the same sitation as before. No pass asked and "Invalid version" error.

I have tried re-downloading and re-installing. There was a similar topic on the US SC2 forums but the problem was fixed for them by switching proxy to auto-detect in LAN-setting in internet explorer. Mine was already on this. I even updated explorer for this. I'm also on Windows XP.

So anyone have any idea? Anyone ran into similar problems maybe? I'm thinking the problem lies in that the launcher/updater doesn't properly connect through my connection, but I don't know why. Everything else works fine. WoW updates fine as well. :p

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I had problems with the default downloader that runs like a torrent. There is an option to turn that off and go straight through Blizz DL server and that worked for me (MUCH faster as well). Although, mine just wouldn't patch properly, so I don't know if that will help you much.

msv

What's this SSAO shader setting? I tried it, and it bogs down my fps quite a bit, but I don't see any real difference.

Meteorain said:
ID is Meteorain.sunfang
Added (mine's msv.whaeva)

hobart

Whats the story with beta CLOSING? I haven't been sent any emails indicating that Beta would close any time soon... and yet... I have a few of my friends telling me that they anticipate it ending sometime next week (due to something their Amazon keys emailed to them said).

Anything definitive either way on this?

Yaweee

hobart said:
Whats the story with beta CLOSING? I haven't been sent any emails indicating that Beta would close any time soon... and yet... I have a few of my friends telling me that they anticipate it ending sometime next week (due to something their Amazon keys emailed to them said).

The May 17th end date was "announced" long before the July 27th Release Date, so it was probably either BS speculation or just dated information. The game and Bnet still need more work and testing, including custom maps, chat rooms, and 3v3/4v4 ladders.

hobart said:

Blizz still has a long way to go with the beta. It will at least go through the rest of May and probably some of June, too.

cramcakes

hobart said:

I can verify the Amazon email says that, but I hope it's not true, since we haven't gotten 3v3 and 4v4 yet.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for your pre-order of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. Now it's time to get you your pre-order bonus code to participate in the Starcraft II beta.

Here is your bonus code: ###

This code will give you access to the StarCraft II beta. This beta will be available through May 17th.

In order to participate in the beta test, you must have an active Battle.net account. If you don't have a Battle.net account, visit www.battle.net to create one.

Kinyou

Could anyone give me some hints at how to control your army right?

I always tend to put them all into one big group but this gets very ineffective as soon as I have to control them specifically at individual targets. (Like marines against voidrays while the siege tanks keep firing onto the stalkers.)

Of course could I put them all in separate groups but then I think I would spent half the game assigning them all...

Ps. I would love to watch some EU Tournament games live. ID: Anvil.kinyou

cramcakes

Kinyou said:
Could anyone give me some hints at how to control your army right?

I always tend to put them all into one big group but this gets very ineffective as soon as I have to control them specifically at individual targets. (Like marines against voidrays while the siege tanks keep firing onto the stalkers.)

Of course could I put them all in separate groups but then I think I would spent half the game assigning them all...

Ps. I would love to watch some EU Tournament games live. ID: Anvil.kinyou

Try Group 1: Both Marines and Marauders/Tanks. Group 2: Just the marines.

Then you can A-move to get your army somewhere, then hit 2 and right click air targets.

zoukka

Damn I'm going on a holiday tomorrow so I can only play my first match and only if ChrisXIII shows up :<

Good luck everyone!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Feep said:
Hmm.

I'm completed three of my five initial ranking matches, and I've won all three...albeit, the third, by a hair. (Void Rays are fucking ridiculous. He was outplaying me, until my three void rays just essentially wiped out his entire force.)

I know absolutely ZERO about strategy. I don't scout for this reason; I can't even recognize what Terran/Zerg structures are by looking at them, or what they do, or what strategy they're meant to imply. I can't micro worth shit, either. I just right-click bitches and hope they explode. But I think I understand why I'm doing this well.

I'm just fucking *faster* than other people.

I'm good at multitasking, I know my build order, and I click like a motherfucker. My build order is almost always coming out faster than my opponent's, I expand to a second Nexus fairly quickly, and the economic advantage is outweighing any deficiencies in my knowledge of the game. I kind of wish this weren't true; I would like the game to be less real-time and more strategy, I suppose, but c'est la vie.

Once you get out of the placement matches, you'll find a rude awakening. Most of the people in the placement matches are of copper/bronze level.

Check your replays. What's your APM?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are these the best Terran strats against the races?

Terran vs. Zerg - MMM ball
Terran vs. Protoss - MMM ball
Terran vs. Terran - mech

Top Bottom