• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

msv

Ugh, so lame that supply depots don't push units off them. I see my enemy building all his gateways in my natural and he's going zaelots only. I'm doing 3 rax, (2 tech labs 1 reactor). I got a bunch of marines and i thought I'd pick off one zaelot so i go for a lil harass. But all the zaelots follow me and i cant up the SD in time (on zaelot was at the very edge of it). So bye bye base, ffs. Forcefield, yeah push whole armies aside, SD's nah they're only meant for defense.

Aesthet1c

Kinyou said:
What is the Terran counter to Immortals? I feel like every Terran unit uses slow but powerful attacks which hardly damage immortals due their shields.

Ps. I'm really starting to hate the matchmaking... Coppers getting matched with Silvers? That's ridiculous...

I agree man.. I'm bronze and constantly going up against silver and gold players. Most all of my matches the opponent is favored or slightly favored, I've never been put in a match where I have been favored.

I'm sure there is some kind of crazy voodoo magic going on behind the scenes to calculate who I should be matched against, but I feel like I'm always put against people who are clearly better than I am.

msv said:
So bye bye base, ffs. Forcefield, yeah push whole armies aside, SD's nah they're only meant for defense.

Makes sense to me. SD's have HP, last until killed and require no tech. FF costs energy, requires tech, and lasts only a shot amount of time.

LaneDS

Aesthet1c said:
I agree man.. I'm bronze and constantly going up against silver and gold players. Most all of my matches the opponent is favored or slightly favored, I've never been put in a match where I have been favored.

I'm sure there is some kind of crazy voodoo magic going on behind the scenes to calculate who I should be matched against, but I feel like I'm always put against people who are clearly better than I am.

It might be frustrating, but I firmly believe that's the best way to get better at the game. Dealing with tougher opponents will make you lethal in time.

I slogged through probably 200-300 matches in 1v1 and 2v2 and went from copper/bronze to gold, almost platinum in a few months and it was terribly frustrating at times, but ultimately worth it to beat the favored opponents.

That said, still a long way for me to go. But we've got 12 or so years until Starcraft 3, so I'm not worried.

Here's the results of the US NeoGAF SC2 Beta 1v1 Tournament Finals!

Valenti (T) vs. Alumnus (P)

Winner:
Alumnus

Score:
Valenti - 0 : 3 - Alumnus
Replay Folder: Valenti v Alumnus

Game 1
Map: Steppes of War
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 2
Map: Lost Temple
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 3
Map: Blistering Sands
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 4
Map: Metalopolis
Winner:
... Anti Spoiler ...

Game 5
Map: Scrap Station
Winner:
... Anti Spoiler ...

LaneDS

Excellent, I like when there's an odd number of replays... keeps the suspense up. Looking forward to watching these when I get back later, thanks for uploading them.

Macmanus

Ashhong said:
I still cant decide if i want the regular or the Collectors Edition from Gamestop for 75 though...Amazon needs to have some kind of promotion to lower the price of the regular.

I'm asking you this because obviously you pre-ordered from Amazon; How long did it take to get your beta code from them?

I pre-ordered two days ago. The notice upon pre-ordering said it could take up to 5 business days so they still have time, however I received a promotion for $5 off any MP3 or digital album and I'm mildly worried that they cut off beta keys and instead are giving out this unprompted promotion.

I think I'm just being really antsy.

cramcakes

Macmanus said:
I'm asking you this because obviously you pre-ordered from Amazon; How long did it take to get your beta code from them?

I pre-ordered two days ago. The notice upon pre-ordering said it could take up to 5 business days so they still have time, however I received a promotion for $5 off any MP3 or digital album and I'm mildly worried that they cut off beta keys and instead are giving out this unprompted promotion.

I think I'm just being really antsy.

I ordered from Amazon last Monday morning and received my code Thursday morning.

Macmanus

cramcakes said:
I ordered from Amazon last Monday morning and received my code Thursday morning.

Thanks! Did you happen to get that random $5 off digital music download promo coupon thing as well?

Corran Horn said:
We have enough for a lower level tourny? Think i saw like 4-5?

I don't know, but I'm assuming there are more lower than upper tier players. Probably just a bunch of people that don't post in the thread. I just wanna play in a tournament where I won't get owned in the first round. :lol

Anyone up for 1v1 right now?

water.vengeance

Zertez

Do loses really matter that much? I get frustrated after a lost and worry about my w/l a little. Should I just keep playing and not worry about it. Seem to think Im wasting time dwelling on a lost at this point.

NIN90

Zertez said:
Do loses really matter that much? I get frustrated after a lost and worry about my w/l a little. Should I just keep playing and not worry about it. Seem to think Im wasting time dwelling on a lost at this point.

I'm pretty sure everything gets wiped when the game releases.

LaneDS

Zertez said:

Losses do not matter. Playing more and getting better, that's what matter. You get better (and win) by playing (and losing).

Nobody gets good without losing some matches.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn, Nony is a pretty amazing player. His stream is very entertaining to watch.

Zertez

I know the ladders will be wiped for release and time to time, but still I get a little too upset when I lose. I just need to find a way to shake a lost off and move on quickly.

Zertez said:

Doesn't really matter that much. If you're losing a lot, watch your replays and see what you're doing wrong. At lower levels, you usually get more points for winning. At some point, your W:L ratio usually balances out. Mine went from 1:3 to 1:1

Jokey665

Jokey665 said:
Is it normal to be matched up against Gold/Platinum players when you're in Bronze? Out of my last 5 1v1 games, 2 were against gold players, 2 were against platinum players, and 1 was against a silver player. I won all 5. I'm still Bronze (rank like 20 or something). I'm so confused.
Here are the games I was talking about, if anyone's interested:
game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvPJN05qdNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcIdTTZv7M8
game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4kRJqi93U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT88Ftwlkf0

eznark

Banned
Pre-ordered the game last night from GameStop and have yet to get my beta code. How long did it take you guys to get your codes?

Zertez

watervengeance said:
Doesn't really matter that much. If you're losing a lot, watch your replays and see what you're doing wrong. At lower levels, you usually get more points for winning. At some point, your W:L ratio usually balances out. Mine went from 1:3 to 1:1
Im at 3:1. It is the lost after a 5 or 6 win streak that makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. I know what I did wrong as Im being rolled, I just get a little too upset. It is kind of strange, no other game upsets me like SC2 and Im pretty laid back most the time, but a loss in SC2 really grinds my gears :lol

Zertez said:
Im at 3:1. It is the lost after a 5 or 6 win streak that makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. I know what I did wrong as Im being rolled, I just get a little too upset. It is kind of strange, no other game upsets me like SC2 and Im pretty laid back most the time, but a loss in SC2 really grinds my gears :lol

The matchmaking system probably tried to put you up against a player from a higher league. I know how it feels to lose. SCII gives me mood swings. :lol

cramcakes

Zertez said:

I fully understand because I'm the same way.

Find a gaffer to do some 2v2 against some random people. They can give you suggestions in real time*. 2v2 is way more fun and less stressful (imo).

*Way more helpful than watching replay and trying to remember for next time.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
anyone else unable to get NonY's stream working now?

NIN90 said:
I'm pretty sure everything gets wiped when the game releases.
Some of the achievements seem to be beta only, do those get wiped too?

Also id be up for partnering for a 2v2, i'm currently in the silver league. (pillow.pillow)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
cramcakes said:
It's still up for me.
Balls, went offline then had all sorts of errors, switched to another livestream which works fine but his is all screwed up for me for some reason. Sucks balls because even as a Terran player watching his protoss is something to learn from.

cramcakes

Mr Cola said:
Balls, went offline then had all sorts of errors, switched to another livestream which works fine but his is all screwed up for me for some reason. Sucks balls because even as a Terran player watching his protoss is something to learn from.

Ok, now it's acting up for me. It sure makes me want to switch to protoss though. :lol

<3 zerg, but I'm still having trouble building enough units.

How long does it take for Blizzard to switch you up a league? I've been winning nearly all of my Bronze league games, and am in the Top 5 in my division with a 23-16 win/loss (that is up from a 6-10 start!). I'm ready for some Silver league action.

Yaweee

thestopsign said:
How long does it take for Blizzard to switch you up a league? I've been winning nearly all of my Bronze league games, and am in the Top 5 in my division with a 23-16 win/loss (that is up from a 6-10 start!). I'm ready for some Silver league action.

How many points are you getting per win? Once it is around 18+, I think your MMR is roughly high enough to justify being in a league higher, so keep on playing at it will happen. The streak that bumped me from Gold to Plat for the second time was 23-5.

Jokey665 said:

Well, the matchmaking system is both not complete and also tweaked to prioritize speed in creating matches over accuracy since this is beta.

Also, I think when you win X number of games in a row it starts putting you up against better players.

Yaweee said:
How many points are you getting per win? Once it is around 18+, I think your MMR is roughly high enough to justify being in a league higher, so keep on playing at it will happen. The streak that bumped me from Gold to Plat for the second time was 23-5.

I've been getting somewhere from 16-18 points per game, I'm almost never favored or even against my opponent.

So apparently there is going to be another reset soon, or at least that is what the latest news on battle.net is.

Edit: Nevermind, I think that the news/community channel is glitched in Starcraft 2 itself. It says there is a patch and reset already there (says for May 12th), but nothing really has happened.

thestopsign said:
So apparently there is going to be another reset soon, or at least that is what the latest news on battle.net is.

Like it matters really, the final reset is the important one (EoB). The real question is, when do they plan on making Bnet2.0 stable for the masses (IE stress test). I mean currently 2v2 is the limit and anything about that with obs becomes unstable, they gonna have alot of stick upon release if it stays this way.

Arthrus

I'm thinking of learning zerg now, but I'm having a little difficulty figuring out build orders and good counters to air. Banshees and void rays smash my guys to pieces... should I just build a ton of hydralisks to deal with them (and any upgrades of notable importance)?

I think learning a good build order for the first 4ish minutes of the game is most important for me right now. What do you guys like to do early on?

Edit: I also need some opponents! Arthrus.arthrus, Western Canada. I'm in bronze 1v1 and silver 2v2 with terran.

Chris R

Finally promoted in 2v2 (from copper to bronze :( ) I should be in Silver I think, but that is just because when I play 1v1 I do well in Silver with about a 60/40 win/loss rate. My 2v2 placement matches were pairings with idiots, placing me in copper :lol

This last game I did something I'd never been able to do before. I finished with under 400 total minerals/gas :D

Arthrus said:
I'm thinking of learning zerg now, but I'm having a little difficulty figuring out build orders and good counters to air. Banshees and void rays smash my guys to pieces... should I just build a ton of hydralisks to deal with them (and any upgrades of notable importance)?

I think learning a good build order for the first 4ish minutes of the game is most important for me right now. What do you guys like to do early on?

Edit: I also need some opponents! Arthrus.arthrus, Western Canada. I'm in bronze 1v1 and silver 2v2 with terran.

I added you. I'm bronze 1v1, doing pretty well as Zerg right now. My opening build order goes like:

- 9 drones
- 1 overlord
- 1 drone while overlord is developing
- 2 drones, one goes to mineral, one goes behind to build a spawning pool. If you do this right, you should just have to wait a second or two to get enough minerals for one.
- build 3 drones, 2 on minerals, one builds an extractor.
- once the spawning pool is up I grab a queen and either 4 or 6 zerglings (if 4, put a drone on gas).
- then I go for roaches normally, get a few of those, upgrade the hatchery, and do a fast expand depending how I'm feeling.
- Then I go either hydras or mutas depending on what I think my enemy team is made of, if they are going marauder or roach heavy, I go mutas.
- make sure to harass with the mutas if you go for them (they normally then do a tech switch to counter mutas, and that is when you can mass ground after getting the economic advantage from the harasses).

I haven't lost with this strat in a while. The only real problem is if someone does a really fast timing push, there are certain maps like Steppes of War that leave you vulnerable for this type of build because of the small rush distance.

Top Bottom