• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ferrio

Banned
I don't even play zerg, but that roach thing pretty huge. Aren't zerg hurting enough right now? Thought they were the weakest race.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EAT IT ROACHES! EAT IT.

Thank god.

NIN90

See, I'm not the best player of the game and I played only Zerg so far. But doesn't this make Zerg nigh useless in early game except maybe super fast ling rushes (but 90% of players wall their base immediately off thus practically making lings useless)?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So I guess that removes the mothership/sentry bug :lol

Not a fan of forge nerf...but I guess I can survive. I liked how quickly it built in case of OH SHIT defense

One would think roaches gonna get buffed again though to fit the 2 supply?

Ferrio said:
I don't even play zerg, but that roach thing pretty huge. Aren't zerg hurting enough right now? Thought they were the weakest race.
Not really. Apparently they are the strongest on the Asian servers, and a Zerg just won the last TeamLiquid Invitational. They certainly weren't the strongest. Pretty drastic change

edit: I phrased that funny lol. What I meant is that overall it's kinda unclear which race is the absolute strongest, so a change this big is kinda odd. Who knows, maybe their decision was motivated by that last TLI. I guess that in the late game it did get pretty crazy when Zerg is 200/200 and could immediately pop out ~40 roaches after a huge loss

Yaweee

Terrans are going to be going heavier into Factories against Zerg for now. Thors are a lot more powerful against Mutas then before, and Zerg are going to have a lot more difficulty countering early Hellions.

I don't see why they even bother with motherships, it's such a lets just throw something badass into the protoss army and then try and balance it later unit, I mean it's already had half its abilities taken away. No one seriously does anything with it >>

Roach nerf, while seemingly drastic, I don't honestly think will be that large a change in the long run, only in the very early game will it make a difference. Although I'm extremely curious why they'd not add in the ultra buff when they take away something like supply, fubar!

I've gotten into the habit of not building roach warrens in anticipation of big nerfs/changes. They rock early in the game but there's a point where they become quite irrelevant and you realize you just wasted a lot of resources that could have gone toward other things. Especially against terran

edit: when is this coming out? So tired of the crashing bug.

webrunner

Orangepeel said:
I don't see why they even bother with motherships, it's such a lets just throw something badass into the protoss army and then try and balance it later unit, I mean it's already had half its abilities taken away. No one seriously does anything with it >>

Roach nerf, while seemingly drastic, I don't honestly think will be that large a change in the long run, only in the very early game will it make a difference. Although I'm extremely curious why they'd not add in the ultra buff when they take away something like supply, fubar!

If by "half" you mean "all". Every one of it's announced abilities is gone, replaced by something from the Arbiter (except Vortex, which is a cross between an arbiter ability and original mothership ability)

Honestly, the Mothership doesn't need to be powerful or useful, aslong as it's cool enough, but it's pretty much lost any sense of identity it ever had.

Zertez

I understand the Roach changes, but not really happy with it. They helped with early base defense and fighting off MMM pushes. I think that is where this change is going to hurt the worse. It is going to be tough to build up a solid defense using them. I guess I will stick with Baneling bombs. They should have bumped up Marauders to 2 as well. Both are pretty ridiculous in 200 supply count fights.

Won

cramcakes said:
So the Thor (which actually gets used right now) get a size buff to make him more usable but the Ultralisk continues to be forgotten.

Ults got a buff last patch and they already said more is coming for them......

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Zertez said:
I understand the Roach changes, but not really happy with it. They helped with early base defense and fighting off MMM pushes. I think that is where this change is going to hurt the worse. It is going to be tough to build up a solid defense using them. I guess I will stick with Baneling bombs. They should have bumped up Marauders to 2 as well. Both are pretty ridiculous in 200 supply count fights.
Marauders are already 2 supply afaik

JoeMartin

Oh my fucking love the Thor buff. Tho they do look slightly goofy now.

Zertez said:

Marauders have been 2 food for as long as I've been in the beta.

Oh shit. That's terrible for Zerg, first Zerg has no air defense besides a queen until a hatchery upgrade and another building, now Zerg have no way to defend early against large MMM or Zealot pushes. Great!

LaneDS

Yeah I think that Roach nerf is a bit extreme. Early game I didn't find they were problematic, and as a tier 1 unit I think Blizzard should have found a different fix for them being so threatening in end game.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
For some reason i downloaded patch 11 again, then went to bnet, still down

How odd

Roach build totally destroyed after this patch lol. Oh well, hopefully they get a buff to compensate for the supply increase. Looking forward to seeing how the Thor looks with it's new size...I was always one to argue against everyone's cries to make it smaller as I thought it looked cool being a huge unit.

DaFish

Just got beta, played one game and got my ass kicked... I have no idea what to build, anyone want to help (does the co-op work in the beta)?

Aesthet1c

I probably won't even be building roaches anymore and just use the resources to tech to hydra's faster. I really only used them to help supply my army early game until I could start making hydra's/muta's/infestors.

Ferrio

Banned
The roach one really makes me scratch my head. They say it's for 200/200 supply games.... do those really happen that often? Seems like a fix for an extreme case, but ignoring the majority of games.

mbmonk

DaFish said:
Just got beta, played one game and got my ass kicked... I have no idea what to build, anyone want to help (does the co-op work in the beta)?
Maybe???:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Rv-s-7rNk

You can play against the computer (though not co-op). Under the multiplayer section there should be a button in the bottom right to 'create game', do that then pick a map, and add a computer player.

The computer is really terrible and you should have ample time to learn and play around.

Ferrio said:
The roach one really makes me scratch my head. They say it's for 200/200 supply games.... do those really happen that often? Seems like a fix for an extreme case, but ignoring the majority of games.

I don't think the change is meant to limit roach production as far as army composition based on 200/200 supply goes as much as it's meant to force players to produce more Overlords to keep a steady stream of Roaches building. It basically screws early Roach builds and I predict will make it much more difficult to defend against Hellions. Kind of forces Zerg to build Spine Crawlers now.

Ferrio

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I don't think the change is meant to limit roach production as far as army composition based on 200/200 supply goes as much as it's meant to force players to produce more Overlords to keep a steady stream of Roaches building. It basically screws early Roach builds and I predict will make it much more difficult to defend against Hellions. Kind of forces Zerg to build Spine Crawlers now.

Uh ya it is... they said it outright

Blizzard said:
Roaches are just too mighty to be a 1 supply unit. In 200 supply battles Roaches can be very difficult to deal with even with the correct counters in play by protoss or terran players.

Bisonian

That roach shit is garbage. Yes, I am irrational and bitter. <crosses arms>

There are so many easily obtained units that hard counter roaches that I just can't see why this was a feasible change. I'm not denying that they were decent to have a line of them as a meat shield in late game, but they are definitely not worth 2 food for that purpose. Zerg needs to have their diversity of units expanded, not reduced yet again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gameplay view of new Thor, with other units for comparison.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2qwoi3d.jpg

Yeah, he's not quite as intimidating anymore. He's about the size of a Battlecruiser now, and now he also fits inside of one downed supply depot, so now you can easily fit one through a standard depot-barracks-depot wall without possibly having to lift off anything.

spazzfish

I don't get the roach nerf. Seemed unnecessary. Looks like i'm going to have to find a clever way to use banelings and zerglings to keep me alive until I can just rush to hydras.
All this nerf seems to do is slow zerg down in the early game quite a lot.

wow, that Roach nerf is huge. I just switched over to Zerg from Terran like a week ago and have been having some pretty good success with Roach/Hydras but damn...now what the eff do I do?

Maybe tech straight to Hydras faster and mass cracklings?

sheeeeeeeiiiitttttt.

Top Bottom