• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You can do 10 drones, overlord, 3 drones -> pool.

It's easier and I think better. You can check when your pool comes out / your income yourself.

Ashhong

fuuuuuuuuuck yea. was playing 2v2 with a friend and he dropped almost immediately. kept him mining and used his terran buildings to make a wall (twilight fortress) and i went FE into mutas and took out most of 1 of the other opponent. kept my ally mining, got a shitload of lings and stormed their base. finished it off with hydra and muta mix FTW.

in short, i fucking owned in 2v1 ^^

protip: if you are in my situation and your partner leaves, not only can you build with their units but you can actually obtain minerals from them. all you have to do is request the amount, and it automatically comes to you as long as they have it. i never knew this.

Ashhong said:
fuuuuuuuuuck yea. was playing 2v2 with a friend and he dropped almost immediately. kept him mining and used his terran buildings to make a wall (twilight fortress) and i went FE into mutas and took out most of 1 of the other opponent. kept my ally mining, got a shitload of lings and stormed their base. finished it off with hydra and muta mix FTW.

in short, i fucking owned in 2v1 ^^

protip: if you are in my situation and your partner leaves, not only can you build with their units but you can actually obtain minerals from them. all you have to do is request the amount, and it automatically comes to you as long as they have it. i never knew this.

I've had my ally leave twice late into the game. You feel like such a badass controlling all of the units. :D

WTF is up with the matchmaking..... I am in the bronze league and my last game was vs SOMEONE IN THE PLAT LEAGUE.

What makes matters worse is that for some reason I lost 11 points for it. WTF :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I just suffered the most embarrassing defeat ever.

I had a healthy mixture of Charged Zealots, Stalkers, Immortals and Sentries and saw that my opponent had nothing but Marines in his base. So I foolishly ran into his base and got annihilated by almost one control group of Marines and a few medivacs. He steamrolled me afterwards.

Fuck my life. He was a Copper player as well. I think I should go back down into Copper guys.

ChronicleX said:
WTF is up with the matchmaking..... I am in the bronze league and my last game was vs SOMEONE IN THE PLAT LEAGUE.

What makes matters worse is that for some reason I lost 11 points for it. WTF :lol

I just won against a platinum. Then I preceded to lose against three gold. :(

I really hate Steppes of War as a map. Every time you play on it, the game ends with in 10min one way or the other.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
thestopsign said:
I added you. I'm bronze 1v1, doing pretty well as Zerg right now. My opening build order goes like:

- 9 drones
- 1 overlord
- 1 drone while overlord is developing
- 2 drones, one goes to mineral, one goes behind to build a spawning pool. If you do this right, you should just have to wait a second or two to get enough minerals for one.
- build 3 drones, 2 on minerals, one builds an extractor.
- once the spawning pool is up I grab a queen and either 4 or 6 zerglings (if 4, put a drone on gas).
- then I go for roaches normally, get a few of those, upgrade the hatchery, and do a fast expand depending how I'm feeling.
- Then I go either hydras or mutas depending on what I think my enemy team is made of, if they are going marauder or roach heavy, I go mutas.
- make sure to harass with the mutas if you go for them (they normally then do a tech switch to counter mutas, and that is when you can mass ground after getting the economic advantage from the harasses).

I haven't lost with this strat in a while. The only real problem is if someone does a really fast timing push, there are certain maps like Steppes of War that leave you vulnerable for this type of build because of the small rush distance.

As Haz said, going to 10 drones then overlord is actually better. From there you can either use the extractor trick to go 11/10 or just wait for the overlord, 3 drones when the overlord pops. From there based on the map, or what you see, you can go up to 14 or 15 pool, or just spawning pool there.

If you're doing baneling/speedling or 1 hatch roach I like to build another drone to 13, then extractor, then drones to 14, then overlord, then drones until your pool pops. I like this because the overlord pops just as you hit 18 supply if you do it right. From there it's on you to judge what you need for zerglings, if I scout early nonsense I'll save larvae to build 6 zerglings asap. Doing 1 hatch, and assuming near-instant inject larvae, another overlord at 21 and from there on you're on your own.

FE builds I like to cut the extractor, drone to 15, then expand and get gas. afterwards is similar.

Also, I caution you guys to go from roaches --> muta, if you don't have enough of a ground presence the gas you invested in roaches will not be available for mutas, and just having an additional 1 or 2 right away is often what makes the difference in successful harass.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
watervengeance said:
Gotta improve my APM somehow. My average is a low 30. :(

Hot keys, shortcuts, double tapping hot keys instead of clicking on the map. As you get more familiar with what you're doing you'll speed up.

btkadams

i really need to watch a stream of a person whos good at this.

i'm the guy that causes people to write "gg, my teammate fucking SUCKED".

Zertez

btkadams said:
i really need to watch a stream of a person whos good at this.

i'm the guy that causes people to write "gg, my teammate fucking SUCKED".
Psy is a good Zerg player and lately he has been releasing more tutorial videos. I kind of wish he would show some of his losses, to point out what went wrong and possible corrections.

Meeru

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Some of the achievements seem to be beta only, do those get wiped too?

Also id be up for partnering for a 2v2, i'm currently in the silver league. (pillow.pillow)
Yeah they gonna get wiped.

Yaweee

Zertez said:
Psy is a good Zerg player and lately he has been releasing more tutorial videos. I kind of wish he would show some of his losses, to point out what went wrong and possible corrections.

His replays are annoying due to how he always talks for minutes at the beginning without commenting on what he is doing as an opening and why.

JBaird

Banned
rhfb said:
Load up a replay and then press M (or is it A?)

Ah thanks, I haven't watched any of my replays. I just loaded two of my recent ones and in one I had a 46 APM average and other I had a 52 APM average, both games I won. Right now my Win/Loss is 51/27

Zertez

Yaweee said:
His replays are annoying due to how he always talks for minutes at the beginning without commenting on what he is doing as an opening and why.
At first I felt the same, but after playing Zerg for a few games you understand. For the first 3 minutes or so, Zerg BO is pretty much exactly the same. Unless you decide to build a very early 6 pool or something, most games you play will be the same cookie cutter order in the first few minutes. It basically goes like this, drones to 10, overlord, geyser drone trick, 3 drones, 14 pool and then it starts to branch out a little. Zerg is very predictable as far as openings go.

I might be completely ignorant of the ladder system, but I'm curious as to why I've been first in my bronze division for several days without a bump up to silver? My score is 1491 if that makes any difference.

JBaird

Banned
lawlohwhat said:
I might be completely ignorant of the ladder system, but I'm curious as to why I've been first in my bronze division for several days without a bump up to silver? My score is 1491 if that makes any difference.

Yeah it took me a bit to get bumped, but I'm not sure how it works. Right now I am first in Silver.

Edit: lol what makes it worse is that I just lost my first game in seven games and got promoted to Gold afterwards.

We should get another tourney started soon (US). Now that it's all over (congratz Alumnus!) I can't help but want to do it again. Yeah I am not as good as a lot of you but I'm a lot better than when I played my tourney rounds, lol.

mcrae

thestopsign said:
I added you. I'm bronze 1v1, doing pretty well as Zerg right now. My opening build order goes like:

- 9 drones
- 1 overlord
- 1 drone while overlord is developing
- 2 drones, one goes to mineral, one goes behind to build a spawning pool. If you do this right, you should just have to wait a second or two to get enough minerals for one.
- build 3 drones, 2 on minerals, one builds an extractor.
- once the spawning pool is up I grab a queen and either 4 or 6 zerglings (if 4, put a drone on gas).
- then I go for roaches normally, get a few of those, upgrade the hatchery, and do a fast expand depending how I'm feeling.
- Then I go either hydras or mutas depending on what I think my enemy team is made of, if they are going marauder or roach heavy, I go mutas.
- make sure to harass with the mutas if you go for them (they normally then do a tech switch to counter mutas, and that is when you can mass ground after getting the economic advantage from the harasses).

I haven't lost with this strat in a while. The only real problem is if someone does a really fast timing push, there are certain maps like Steppes of War that leave you vulnerable for this type of build because of the small rush distance.

getting a expansion after youve got roaches and a lair isnt a 'fast expand' lolzzzz....

my BO:
-10 drones, wait till 50 mins, grab drone who just finished returning minerals and is near a geyser, and make extractor.
-make 10th drone again, cancel extractor
- make o lord, then 3 drones when o lord is done
- make pool
-make another couple drones
-make a couple zerglings, to scout other player if i havent already. or just to hit up some watchtowers or something
-at 16 food, make queen
-overlord

then usually get mutas, and once i have 6 i harass. i find any less get repelled easily without doing decent damage, and once you have 6 they can do hit and runs well enough

Xirj

Interesting. I was third in silver 2v2 random. Got into a game, my teammate drops, it's late so I don't want to even try 1v2, I quit. Promoted to gold league at the loss screen...?

JesseZao

How's the Mac client run? I have the a first run intel imac with 2 gigs of RAM, any idea on if that would be good enough to run it?

Was thinking about goin fishing for a beta code at gamestop tomorrow.
then canceling once the beta is over ofc

JBaird

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
We should get another tourney started soon (US). Now that it's all over (congratz Alumnus!) I can't help but want to do it again. Yeah I am not as good as a lot of you but I'm a lot better than when I played my tourney rounds, lol.

Yeah I'd like to join a tourney. I didn't have the beta when the other tourney was put together.

valenti said:
Will anyone be up for play tomorrow evening?

I think I have an idea what I should be doing against those phoenixes..

I might be.

Insaniac

ultron87 said:
Phoenixes are phenomenal against them. Especially now that they fire while moving.

this is true, but there's still the problem that once zerg produce a certain quantity of them, you cannot beat them with phoenix. and even if you can, your phoenix lack the versatility of handling ground units the same way mutalisks can. You're ground army will suffer to much if you invest so much into phoenix

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Insaniac said:
this is true, but there's still the problem that once zerg produce a certain quantity of them, you cannot beat them with phoenix. and even if you can, your phoenix lack the versatility of handling ground units the same way mutalisks can. You're ground army will suffer to much if you invest so much into phoenix
1 phoenix can beat 20 mutalisks now with good micro. :D
Phoenixes are also amazing support units.

iamblades

Hazaro said:
1 phoenix can beat 20 mutalisks now with good micro. :D
Phoenixes are also amazing support units.

Nonsense, unless you mean 20 mutas spread across the map one by one.

Even then it'd take 80 fucking years.

iamblades

Xirj said:
Interesting. I was third in silver 2v2 random. Got into a game, my teammate drops, it's late so I don't want to even try 1v2, I quit. Promoted to gold league at the loss screen...?

I think the MMR is based on a x game moving average, so if your new loss was a better loss than the one the dropped off the end, your average moves up.

Any top 20 or so platinum Zerg here? Would like to test a TvZ build on a solid player, but I don't think I have any good Zerg on my friends list

mcrae said:
getting a expansion after youve got roaches and a lair isnt a 'fast expand' lolzzzz....

my BO:
-10 drones, wait till 50 mins, grab drone who just finished returning minerals and is near a geyser, and make extractor.
-make 10th drone again, cancel extractor
- make o lord, then 3 drones when o lord is done
- make pool
-make another couple drones
-make a couple zerglings, to scout other player if i havent already. or just to hit up some watchtowers or something
-at 16 food, make queen
-overlord

then usually get mutas, and once i have 6 i harass. i find any less get repelled easily without doing decent damage, and once you have 6 they can do hit and runs well enough

Thanks for the tips.

Won

Thread needs more action, so here some EU tourney stuff!

Oldern vs Won

Game 1
Map: Steppes of War
Winner:
.........Won
Replay

Game 2
Map: Lost Temple
Winner:
.........Won
Replay

Game 3
Map: Blistering Sands
Winner:
not played
Replay

Nothing special though. Need to learn putting pressure on.

StarCraft II Beta -- Patch 12 (version 0.14.0.15343)

The latest patch notes can always be found on our StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

Balance Changes

* PROTOSS

o Forge

+ Build time increased from 35 to 45.
+ Life and shield values decreased from 550/550 to 400/400.

o Mothership

+ Vortex now removes Force Fields within its area of effect.

* TERRAN

o Thor

+ Radius decreased from 1.375 to 0.8125.
+ Model size reduced to match new radius.

* ZERG

o Roach

+ Supply count increased from 1 to 2.

User Interface

* Several Hotkey changes have been made (German client only).

Bug Fixes

* Fixed a crash which sometimes occurred when quitting the program.

______

roach nerf :/

Yaweee

Holy goddamn shit at the roach supply nerf. Wow, that's pretty significant, though I was always wondering why they weren't that in the first place.

mbmonk

Orangepeel said:
Bug Fixes

* Fixed a crash which sometimes occurred when quitting the program.

Sc2 crashed on me 100% of the time when exiting the game.

SOMETIMES it would lock up my machine completely, and SOMETIMES I would get lucky and be able to kill the SC2 process using task manager. But that was the only sometimes about it :lol

I hope they fixed the keyboard shortcuts for replays. The "P" key wouldn't pause the replay, oddly though you could use the "P" key to resume a paused replay.

mbmonk

Situation Report Up! Love the fact they are doing these:

Our first Situation Report took a look at the changes with Patch 11 and while not a large patch, we wanted to continue sharing our insight on balance changes with Patch 12. Please keep in mind that we are continuing to keep a close eye on many of these changes to better gauge their effects and may not apply all of our planned changes into any one patch. This allows us to track the effects a bit better and layer in our planned changes to better set the pace of how they affect balance overall.

We have a few minor changes implemented as a part of the balance for this patch and are also planning some more ability changes for the zerg in the next.

Thor - Radius decreased from 1.375 to 0.8125. Model size reduced to match new radius.

We have reduced the physical and pathing size of the Thor just to make him more useable. This will end up being a minor buff to the Thor (which he didn’t really need). We made the change just to make him less frustrating to use. We’ll be keeping a close eye on how this change plays out and if Thors become too dominant we will deal with them in other ways in future patches.

Forge - Build time increased from 35 to 45. Life and shield values decreased from 550/550 to 400/400.

We are seeing a Photon Cannon rush against protoss and zerg. Against protoss, players usually use a cliff edge or the enemy minerals in combination with their forge to protect their pylon. Against zerg, you can use the Forge and Pylon to block the zerg player’s ramp. We have a few numbers we can tweak to fix this, build time on the Forge being the most obvious. However if we make the build time too high it will be difficult to panic build a Forge and Cannons to block a badly played cloak attack. So we are going to try a mixture of health nerfs to the Forge and a small timing change.

Mothership - Vortex now removes Force Fields within its area of effect.

Vortex continues to be an exciting ability with some known issues. Limiting how Force Fields are used around Vortexes will help fix a few exploitable situations. Our thanks go to the community for continuing to find and report issues with it. =)

Roach - Supply count increased from 1 to 2.

Roaches are just too mighty to be a 1 supply unit. In 200 supply battles Roaches can be very difficult to deal with even with the correct counters in play by protoss or terran players.

As always, we appreciate the ongoing constructive feedback and will continue to closely monitor the effects of these changes within the game.

Top Bottom