• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ashhong said:
yea but they should have been 2 food the entire time. so its ok

anybody know if the forcefields come back when the vortex go away?
I imagine not...but never tried. This seems to be a fix to the Vortex/Force Field instant death trick

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ashhong said:
yea but they should have been 2 food the entire time. so its ok

anybody know if the forcefields come back when the vortex go away?

Possibly, but I stand by others in saying that there are so many hard hard counters available, and, when I play 2s for instance, the roach wall exists to be destroyed so the other high damage units can do their jobs. 2 supply is really gonna hurt zerg early, baneling/speedling is going to become even more widely used and more static defense is going to be needed. Either way this means zerg is going to have to spend more larvae on not army if they want to go the roach route, perhaps this is a massive ploy to get people to use ultras?!

Either way this change is geared towards Korea, where zerg is way out in front of the other races, rather than the US/Euro.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Roaches were pretty powerful for 1 supply, but this is definitely going to cause Zerg players to get creative early game. I fully expect to see people start really using Banelings now to counter MMM.

I am excited about the Thor size change. I like Thors a lot, but they were so annoying to control.

I'm pretty happy about the changes. Thor needed to be more mobile and fit through smaller areas, and I always play Terran so the Roach nerf is fine with me :lol

Surprisingly enough, Roaches have never really given me any problems.

Niblet

First time starcraft player and just got into the beta. Can anyone provide me with a list of hotkeys for the 3 armies? Something I can print out will be of tremendous help as I learn the controls of the game. I read that if I want to get anywhere I need to memorize the hotkeys and rely less on the mouse. Also where can I read more in depths about the units of the armies and their roles. I noticed that I can bring up a UI while ingame but that doesnt seem practical to study since I have to be playing in a game to see it.

NIN90

Niblet said:
First time starcraft player and just got into the beta. Can anyone provide me with a list of hotkeys for the 3 armies? Something I can print out will be of tremendous help as I learn the controls of the game. I read that if I want to get anywhere I need to memorize the hotkeys and rely less on the mouse. Also where can I read more in depths about the units of the armies and their roles. I noticed that I can bring up a UI while ingame but that doesnt seem practical to study since I have to be playing in a game to see it.

I fare pretty well with the "Grid" hotkey setup. It places all the hotkeys around the WASD keys.

Calantus

The Lamonster said:
I'm pretty happy about the changes. Thor needed to be more mobile and fit through smaller areas, and I always play Terran so the Roach nerf is fine with me :lol

Surprisingly enough, Roaches have never really given me any problems.

Depends on when you got into beta, they used to be absolutely overpowered, after a month of beta, not so much.

Any Zerg player want to tell me the difference between a standard and fast pool? Does your pool usually come up around 7-8 or later than that? That's two times a zerg player tried to rush me with lings. The first time I got annihilated, but the second time I was able to fend it off. (I'm a Bronze Protoss)

Second dude called me a "lucky faggot" after I won. :lol

Anyone up for some games? water.vengeance

NIN90

watervengeance said:
Any Zerg player want to tell me the difference between a standard and fast pool? Does your pool usually come up around 7-8 or later than that? That's two times a zerg player tried to rush me with lings. The first time I got annihilated, but the second time I was able to fend it off. (I'm a Protoss)

Second dude called me a "lucky faggot" after I won. :lol

Normal pool is around 14. Early is between 6 and 10 (since 10 is where you need to train an overlord).

Bisonian

MisterAnderson said:
Didn't they have 2 armor at one point, more HP, and started out with insane burrow regeneration?

Patch 4:
# Burrowed regeneration rate decreased from 10 to 5.
# Upgraded burrowed regeneration bonus decreased from +20 to +10.

Patch 5:
# Organic Carapace no longer grants bonus regeneration to unburrowed roaches.

Patch 6:
# Burrowed move speed decreased from 2 to 1.4.
# Armor value decreased from 2 to 1.

Patch 12:
# Supply count increased from 1 to 2.

The roaches are truly the shamans of StarCraft 2.

Veritas_

Found out I got into the Beta today, downloaded and had my first match. I've only played the first Starcraft a handfull of times, and I know nothing about hotkeys or unit balance. At any rate, it was pretty fun. Now I need to figure out how to win. :lol

At last, that roach nerf was needed. If I made units I got destroyed by roaches and if I teched I got destroyed by zerglings. Shame that the Forge got nerfed by 150 shield/hp though and +10 seconds to its build time though.

Did a 2v2 (PZvTT) the other day and my partner and I got ROLLED by one gigantic MMM ball. I really need to make scouting a bigger priority. Not sure what I could've done about it but at least it wouldn't have been as degrading as losing all my units in about 10-15 seconds.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AHHHHH!

SO tired of bnet 2.0 servers being down in eu...

Thors are much easier to manage now. At first I was against making them smaller since they looked badass huge, but they still look pretty badass and are more practical, so consider me down.

Confused101 said:
Did a 2v2 (PZvTT) the other day and my partner and I got ROLLED by one gigantic MMM ball. I really need to make scouting a bigger priority. Not sure what I could've done about it but at least it wouldn't have been as degrading as losing all my units in about 10-15 seconds.
Quite a few things you can effectively do in 2v2's. One thing a lota people don't think about which they really should is terrain. For example in the map coalition (I think that's the name, on the desert tileset) there's a large ravine/valley in the middle near the watch towers and the high yield expansions. If you and your ally are set up there with rally points and they come at you the narrow choke of the valley makes it absolutely murder for a few volleys of high templar storm since they literally have nowhere to run to avoid it, pair it with sentry forcefields and you've got quite the advantage. With the forcefield you also can do two major things, one is to simply trap them into a confined space to make things like storm/collossus splash more effect, or you can cut their army in half with the right placement. Think about if they have an mmm ball, marines only have X amount of range, so putting line cutting off their front line effectively lets you fight half their army at once if done correctly.

Now my zerg will suck against ground and air! :D I was pretty dependent on Roaches anyways and I know a lot of other players were. Hopefully this'll get more Zerg players including myself to mass roaches less and include less-often used units that require more strategy, like banelings and infestors. Around my skill level, Lings, Hydras, Roaches and Mutas are pretty much all I see.

The only potential problem I see with this is that it's going to make zerg even more dependent on static defense early-game. We can't wall in and we don't have the mighty photon cannon, so roaches were previously the best defense for zerg against early timing pushes.

My BNET account now has the Beta! Downloading now! Where do I look for the key?

If it's in your account and you're downloading the client you don't need a key.

NIN90

Pai Pai Master said:
Now my zerg will suck against ground and air! :D I was pretty dependent on Roaches anyways and I know a lot of other players were. Hopefully this'll get more Zerg players including myself to mass roaches less and include less-often used units that require more strategy, like banelings and infestors. Around my skill level, Lings, Hydras, Roaches and Mutas are pretty much all I see.

The only potential problem I see with this is that it's going to make zerg even more dependent on static defense early-game. We can't wall in and we don't have the mighty photon cannon, so roaches were previously the best defense for zerg against early timing pushes.

There really isn't that much more. :lol

nitric0 said:
How would a setup of X2 4200+/2GB RAM/ HD 4650 run this game?
I'm not sure how strong the 4200+ is but my gut says it's probably at least medium. 2GB more RAM would surely help though. (Core 2 Quad 2,4 GHz, 4 GB RAM and 8800 GT runs the game on mostly high settings very well, haven't looked at the FPS yet but it's surely 30+)

e/ BLERGH at the EU Bnet still being down. I want to watch a replay. :(

Zertez

Pai Pai Master said:

I have a feeling Banelings will end up getting nerfed before too long, because of the change to Roaches. They are extremely powerful and with more people using them, Terran players are going to start whining constantly about their MMM ball falling with small force of Banelings.

Yaweee

Zertez said:
I have a feeling Banelings will end up getting nerfed before too long, because of the change to Roaches. They are extremely powerful and with more people using them, Terran players are going to start whining constantly about their MMM ball falling with small force of Banelings.
Only the marine party of the MMM ball is particularly susceptible to banelings, due almost half their damage being from their +light damage bonus. It takes 7 banelings blasts to kill a marauder.

Effect

Finally finished up my 1v1 placement. Copper I think. I ended with 2 wins and 3 losses. Was fun but I think I'm done with the multiplayer. More of a single player RTSer (keep having the desire to pause) anyway so won't miss it but might still pop in once in a while when the game goes live. However I can't wait until the game launches to see what scenarios others come up with. I can't wait for the single player. Rare that RTS games have as many missions as SC2 is said to have.

I wonder if someone will be ambitious enough to try and recreate SC1 and BW with the editor. Think Blizzard would put a stop to that?

Zertez said:

So they basically want Zerg to have nothing. Banelings and Roaches are the only zerg early units that can even remotely stand up to MMM.

Zertez

Yaweee said:
Only the marine party of the MMM ball is particularly susceptible to banelings, due almost half their damage being from their +light damage bonus. It takes 7 banelings blasts to kill a marauder.
That is what Hydras will be for. With the elimination of almost every Marine, Marauders and Medivacs wont last long.

Zertez

thestopsign said:
So they basically want Zerg to have nothing. Banelings and Roaches are the only zerg early units that can even remotely stand up to MMM.
I dont want them to nerf them at all. Im a Zerg player, but with more Baneling builds, I know a lot of people will complain.

Man, I just got owned in a 2v2.

The enemy used THORS and ULTRALISKS and raped everything we had. :lol

Was kinda annoyed that my partner (Gold player) just massed Mutalisks. -_-

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
They needed to do something for Roaches without change the unit. I guess this was it.

It still retains a very strong presence as an army backer since costing 2 food doesn't mean as much when you are 70/130.

Won

Well, the damage to buildings Banelings do is kinda crazy early on. So yeah, nerf them!

That said I hope I will finally see a Fungal/Baneling combo after this patch......

At the very least I'd bet we see more baneling busts coming, it's always comical to see what the guy on the recieving end has to say for that one :lol

Zertez

NIN90 said:
But siege tanks. :(
Luckily the people Ive played since the change havent used siege tanks outside of base defense. Im still not sure how to get past the early larvae problem yet. With a quick Hellion push, Ive lost half a dozen drones both times. I dont have enough larvae for Overlords, Roaches, Zerlings, and drones. A couple spine crawlers in the mineral fields should help, but I still lose two drones.

Missile Turrents detect and a quick scan helps out in the field.

Yaweee said:
Scans
Ravens
EMP (decloaks for a few few seconds)
Missile Towers
Speaking of ravens, why the fuck don't Terran use them, like, ever? The anti air drone is freaking really really strong in 2v2's where people tend to get a lota flying units in general, but I think I've seen maybe 3 games total in my 100 odd game with em in it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Orangepeel said:
Speaking of ravens, why the fuck don't Terran use them, like, ever? The anti air drone is freaking really really strong in 2v2's where people tend to get a lota flying units in general, but I think I've seen maybe 3 games total in my 100 odd game with em in it.
Costs 200 gas for raven and uses 100 energy.
Plus you could be making banshees instead.

Won

Orangepeel said:

200 gas.

mbmonk

Will be on tonight (mbmonk.funkytown). I am a lowely copper player on the East Coast US. Message if you want to play some games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've waited for the servers (EU) to go up since 10pm now, that's almost 4 hours non-stop infront of the comp for this shit.

Fuck this, 5 more minutes of trying and I'm off.

I'm pissed.

Top Bottom