• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

TheExodu5

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
WTF no Lurkers!!?!?

Seriously? That makes me happy if so. Zerg was always my favorite race...but I just couldn't micro lurkers at all. Reason I liked Zerg was for their macro ability.

RPGCrazied said:
maybe by june it'll be cheaper? no moniez now. :(
If you have to wait until June.. then there is a good chance you may not even be able to play SC2 until June with the 9400..

not that it matters, but i run lich king max.. and i get above 30fps
Yea... WoW is nothing. You gotta remember that yea they slowly have been updating it but when WoW originally came out the minimum reqs were like 800mhz PC's

TheExodu5

Banned
Telosfortelos said:

Well that's hard to say no to. Much higher power requirements...but he can handle it.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea... WoW is nothing. You gotta remember that yea they slowly have been updating it but when WoW originally came out the minimum reqs were like 800mhz PC's

Pretty sure he's just not sensitive to low framerates. With my older E6600 and 8800GT, I could most definitely drop below 30fps in Ulduar. 20fps or less was a certainty in Dalaran.

I don't think Starcraft 2 will be more demanding than WoW on regular maps. I'm sure 1600 units on a UMS map could make even the most powerful of system chug, but otherwise I don't think his 9400 will be unable to run it at a level most people would consider playable.

Personally, I cringe any time I go under 60fps, so I need to keep those frames up! :lol

If it helps, I am running at 1920x1080 with the default "high" settings for my rig and my specs are:

E6600
Geforce 8800GTS
2 gb Ram

I haven't had any issues so far, in 1v1 and 2v2. Haven't tried the larger modes yet.

Yaweee

I'm up for original SC (USWEST, channel: GAF); I think there's a Starcraft thread way back in the online/matchup forum, but with GAF search disabled and that being a private subforum I can't Google search for it. Would it be wrong to create another one?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yaweee said:
I'm up for original SC (USWEST, channel: GAF); I think there's a Starcraft thread way back in the online/matchup forum, but with GAF search disabled and that being a private subforum I can't Google search for it. Would it be wrong to create another one?
If anyone wants to play me (I guess I'm a D rank?) I'll be on iCCUP for a bit.
You can make a free account there. http://www.iccup.com/

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Someone had wanted a list of the maps that are in the beta, so I went ahead and took a screenshot. I know the names alone don't help much, but it's been probably 8 years since I've played Starcraft and I couldn't for the life of me tell you which if any are remakes.

fatty

BishopLamont said:
Done deal.

US West, Channel #GAF

EVERYONE COME!

I'll be in this channel for a bit if anyone wants to play. If I don't respond right away, just give me a couple of minutes because I might be away from the keyboard for a moment.

I just played a custom game against the computer to try out some of the new units, and the computer said "gg" when I was about the beat it.

Mind. blown.

BlueScrote: I liked that too. I'm not sure but you might be able to see it in the video I made below.

I got in on the beta, and proceeded to make a nice little starcraft 2 beta zergling rush video as a benchmark of sorts. It was really fun and I think it looks pretty cool.

Lemme know whatcha guys think. I can upload more videos too, just tell me what you want me to try out and I can get it pretty good quality (better than the one I uploaded too but I wanted to get that one out the door).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfl279o_Cko

Loving the beta!

P.S.: I don't think they say gg at the right time yet though, one comp said it when I had destroyed his expansion harvesting building with only a few units. Doesnt matter though, the comp on very easy isn't much of a challenge at all, and I cant figure out how to make them harder.

Also, you said you haven't tried any of the larger modes, can you even try any of them? I only see up to 2v2 being possible....unless you unlock them over time or something

Thanks! I seem to be really terrible at the game so so far I've only thought that was something worth posting because every other replay I have is my 2v2 partner usually getting owned within 2 or 3 minutes.

Somehow I am always the one who gets left alone while my partner gets raped in the beginning.

coopolon

Does anyone else find themselves trying to move the camera by moving your mouse to the borders while watching live streams fullscreen? I keep doing it, and then feel stupid.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ice Monkey said:
BlueScrote: I liked that too. I'm not sure but you might be able to see it in the video I made below.

I got in on the beta, and proceeded to make a nice little starcraft 2 beta zergling rush video as a benchmark of sorts. It was really fun and I think it looks pretty cool.

Lemme know whatcha guys think. I can upload more videos too, just tell me what you want me to try out and I can get it pretty good quality (better than the one I uploaded too but I wanted to get that one out the door).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfl279o_Cko

Loving the beta!

P.S.: I don't think they say gg at the right time yet though, one comp said it when I had destroyed his expansion harvesting building with only a few units. Doesnt matter though, the comp on very easy isn't much of a challenge at all, and I cant figure out how to make them harder.

Also, you said you haven't tried any of the larger modes, can you even try any of them? I only see up to 2v2 being possible....unless you unlock them over time or something

Great video, those zerglings remind me of hornets the way they cluster and move!

No 3D portraits though? Show your units some love! :(

I missed your CPU/GPU and framerate, that is the kinda of unit count I was curious to see, it looked pretty decent, how did it effect your framerate w/ FRAPS?

LAMBO

coopolon said:
Does anyone else find themselves trying to move the camera by moving your mouse to the borders while watching live streams fullscreen? I keep doing it, and then feel stupid.

I clicked on the mini map once

Yaweee

I'm guessing a June release. Most Blizzard betas have been about four months from start to release, and by most accounts SC2 beta is already more polished than any of their other betas were when those started.

Minsc

Gold Member
coopolon said:

I did it when watching the crystal clear HD battle reports from a while ago, and the minimap thing too, when the camera moved away from where I wanted it, glad I wasn't the only one!

Minsc said:
Great video, those zerglings remind me of hornets the way they cluster and move!

No 3D portraits though? Show your units some love! :(

I missed your CPU/GPU and framerate, that is the kinda of unit count I was curious to see, it looked pretty decent, how did it effect your framerate w/ FRAPS?

if there werent 3d portraits it might have been me using the replay mode. I thought I definitely had it on but I'm not sure.

My laptop is a dv7t quad, i7 720 and a 230m and it went from 60fps at medium down to like 10-20 fps.

Dont quote me on those figures though, I can run through the replay again and do a fraps benchmark if you'd like.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ice Monkey said:
if there werent 3d portraits it might have been me using the replay mode. I thought I definitely had it on but I'm not sure.

My laptop is a dv7t quad, i7 720 and a 230m and it went from 60fps at medium down to like 10-20 fps.

Dont quote me on those figures though, I can run through the replay again and do a fraps benchmark if you'd like.

Thanks, your estimates are plenty!

Actually, since you have a quad core, if you don't mind checking something else, I'd be curious what your CPU usage is while the game is going, I wonder if it uses more than 2 cores... I'd be surprised if it used all 4 cores (and got up to 100% CPU usage).

w3stfa11 said:
For people who like to read some of the SC2 feedback, check Blizzard's Feedback Forum.
http://forums.battle.net/board.html?forumId=25352526&sid=5000

Some of the common complaints I've noticed:
*Unfair matching - novices getting owned.
*Reapers and Zealots are overpowered
*Menu UI needs major tweaking
*Terran music is hit or miss

I hadn't figured out if these units are overpowered or if I just hadn't found a good counter to them.

Reapers can destroy workers and buildings really quickly, combined with the jetpacks, are ridiculous for hit and runs.

Zealots just destroy any tier one units (and a number of tier 2) like nobodies business

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
reapers are only kicking ass because nobodys adjusted their builds from starcraft 1 yet. everyones leaving edges and lines undefended.

Xamdou

Man I wish Blizzard would send a Beta key my way, that way I could show all the people that are new to the SC saga how the game is meant to be played :O

Wedge7

At the risk of sounding like a jackass, I tend ignore most beta balance complaints. I mean, its one thing if high level players are voicing their displeasure, or if its on sites like TL, but I mean, Joe Warcraft playing starcraft for the first time and complaining about zealot rushing or the OP'ed of roaches is somewhat of a joke. Even moreso when they are using the vast experience of '10 or so games' to back it up.

My greatest fear coming in was every chobo whining about a new thing being imba every other day.

Belfast

w3stfa11 said:
For people who like to read some of the SC2 feedback, check Blizzard's Feedback Forum.
http://forums.battle.net/board.html?forumId=25352526&sid=5000

Some of the common complaints I've noticed:
*Unfair matching - novices getting owned.
*Reapers and Zealots are overpowered
*Menu UI needs major tweaking
*Terran music is hit or miss

Terran music is awesome, and what Menu UI? Everything I've messed with works pretty well. Is there some particular sub-menu people are having trouble with?

Top Bottom