• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Orangepeel said:
Didn't someone here experiment with streaming some time ago? I want to try and set up a stream of my 2's but I'm not really sure of where to start? I signed up to ustream but I need another camera to do it? People must use something to just display their desktop right? halp.

Self quote for good measure, really interested.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCKING FINALLY! EU!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha, fuck you Blizzard. Why don't you stick your copper somewhere? 3 wins 2 losses in placement match = copper placement 50 something? Gtfo with your buggy bullshit.

I waited 8 hours for this :lol?

Deadly

Yoshichan said:
Haha, fuck you Blizzard. Why don't you stick your copper somewhere? 3 wins 2 losses in placement match = copper placement 50 something? Gtfo with your buggy bullshit.

Placement doesn't just depend on wins and loses. I'm pretty sure I went 2-3 and I was placed in bronze. There are supposedly many other things that are checked before placing you such as APM.

Yoshichan said:

1v1 or 2v2?

Their 2v2 ladders seem really weird.

Anyone up for some games (Bronze or below)? water.vengeance

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Orangepeel said:
Self quote for good measure, really interested.
livestream is easiest and doesnt take alot of computer resources

ustream and justin.tv require Flash Media Encoder and a program like VhScrCap to capture the screen to display

Neckbeard

Yoshichan said:

It reaaaaally doesn't take long to move up. I started at 842 (!!) and moved up to #1 in two days. :lol So don't worry your e-peen will be swollen to its normal size soon.

Corran Horn said:
livestream is easiest and doesnt take alot of computer resources

ustream and justin.tv require Flash Media Encoder and a program like VhScrCap to capture the screen to display

Yeah I've spent the last 4 days watching replay commentaries, much to the chagrin of my wife. She said it's probably the nerdiest thing I've ever done. That's really saying something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
up to rank 20 in copper after a clean two victories.

watching some replays to see what my opponents did really helped. I'm starting to get my early game down relatively comfortably.

most of my matches don't last long enough to allow for much progression up the tree or expansions, so I don't get to improve at all in that regard.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
at times I have accidentally set the rally point of my gateways to wherever my primary control group is attacking.

how do I actually do that?

Rez said:
at times I have accidentally set the rally point of my gateways to wherever my primary control group is attacking.

how do I actually do that?

Rally points are set by right clicking the spot, be it minimap or field.

You should not be producing units out of GATEWAYS after the first few minutes of the game. You should be researching WARPGATE technology from your cybernetics core. Warpgates are infinitely better than Gateways.

Funny I have to mention this because most of my partners in 2v2 did not utilize warpgates, thus not having enough forces.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
watervengeance said:
Rally points are set by right clicking the spot, be it minimap or field.

You should not be producing units out of GATEWAYS after the first few minutes of the game. You should be researching WARPGATE technology from your cybernetics core. Warpgates are infinitely better than Gateways.

Funny I have to mention this because most of my partners in 2v2 did not utilize warpgates, thus not having enough forces.
oh, I must have set the points when I'd pressed my Gateway group key to spawn more Stalkers.

I've only experimented with Warp Gates in AI battles. They always had to recharge energy, which seemed slower than regular Gateways, but I could be talking out my ass.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
watervengeance said:
More cheese in 2v2. This time it's Void Rays! I scouted it "early" but it was still impossible to counter once he got in 4+ VRs. -_-

what are you playing?

if zerg, apparently 4 queens is a solid counter to early VR's

Yoshichan said:

Aprox

Lose 2 = Copper
Lose 1 = Bronze
Lose 1/0 with Good APM / Reasources = Silver

For Gold / Plat, you just have to be flawless and crush people in all 5 games in a row. The placement matches are all vs bronze / copper people. If you loose more than 1 of them you do not qualify for anything higher than copper :lol

Rez said:
oh, I must have set the points when I'd pressed my Gateway group key to spawn more Stalkers.

I've only experimented with Warp Gates in AI battles. They always had to recharge energy, which seemed slower than regular Gateways, but I could be talking out my ass.

I don't know the numbers, but I'm 99% sure that Warpgates build faster than Gateways and are infinitely more useful.

Damn it, I'm ranked 2 in Copper 2v2. I WANT OUT OF COPPER :lol All these cheese tactics are so annoying!

Corran Horn

god damn...fought someone in 2v2 with like a tank ball...had prolly 15-20 tanks balled up...ended up losing due to nothing ready besides charge zealots who couldnt even reach :lol

Jokey665

ChronicleX said:
Aprox

Lose 2 = Copper
Lose 1 = Bronze
Lose 1/0 with Good APM / Reasources = Silver

For Gold / Plat, you just have to be flawless and crush people in all 5 games in a row. The placement matches are all vs bronze / copper people. If you loose more than 1 of them you do not qualify for anything higher than copper :lol
Not quite true. I played somebody who was in his placement and crushed him. He got placed into gold, while I was silver at the time (though I had been bronze about 30 minutes beforehand).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
god damn...fought someone in 2v2 with like a tank ball...had prolly 15-20 tanks balled up...ended up losing due to nothing ready besides charge zealots who couldnt even reach :lol
When you hit 20-25 tanks that is critical mass and you basically lose.

If you have 2 players with stalker blink you can break 15 or so badly positioned tanks.

Corran Horn

Hazaro said:
When you hit 20-25 tanks that is critical mass and you basically lose.

If you have 2 players with stalker blink you can break 15 or so badly positioned tanks.
couldnt even try. other play was zerg with mutas giving cover. I tried to go phoenix or void rays and got mostly owned till my eco was zilch and expansions kept on getting squashed

another tank game...fuck...

Zertez

At first I got placed in Gold with 3 losses, and 2 wins. I beat 2 Plat players and lost to 2. My apm wasnt anything great either, something about 70. I think the quality of wins and losses is what matter the most. I did well in the practice games though. I did not lose one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
couldnt even try. other play was zerg with mutas giving cover. I tried to go phoenix or void rays and got mostly owned till my eco was zilch and expansions kept on getting squashed

another tank game...fuck...
Mind uploading the replay?
I've been wanting to get two terrans to harass then build a tank ball but none of my friends play T :[

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Can someone tell me what of zerg and protoss can detect Terran Ghosts?

So far ive got Phoenix and Observer, ive never really used them before so i dont know

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cannons, Observer, 2 storms on the cloak image can kill if you are being nuked and know where it is.

Overseer, spore,... maybe fungal growth can reveal it?

Zertez

Mr Cola said:
Can someone tell me what of zerg and protoss can detect Terran Ghosts?

So far ive got Phoenix and Observer, ive never really used them before so i dont know
Playing as Zerg, I like using Overseers. I place one in each base and one with my marching army. That seems to take care of things. I do place a few spore crawlers in my base for air protection, so they help some.

scoobs

honestly to those complaining that you're getting thrown into the weaker leagues... the best way to know where you SHOULD be placed is starting at the bottom and winning your way to the top.

The next reset I'm totally forfeiting my 5 placement matches and dominating my way back to gold... hopefully. The roach nerf HURTS!

Ashhong said:
they should have emailed you a code...

Nope, no email. But there's a SCII 'Account' now linked on my Battlenet account, with the option for Mac and PC client. Thought they might have just thrown the beta open to everyone.

Dang, I moved from Rank 1 Copper to Rank 8 Bronze for 2v2. =o

scoobs said:
honestly to those complaining that you're getting thrown into the weaker leagues... the best way to know where you SHOULD be placed is starting at the bottom and winning your way to the top.

The next reset I'm totally forfeiting my 5 placement matches and dominating my way back to gold... hopefully. The roach nerf HURTS!

As awesome as that sounds, it kinda sucks when everyone in the lower leagues just cheeses all day. I can't even count how many times I saw ling rushes, cannon rushes, and Void Rays today. Some are easy to counter, others not so much. But in the end, it's just a huge waste of time because you're not really having any fun, or at least I'm not. There's very little strategy involved if it's all dependent on a coin toss.

Chris R

watervengeance said:
Dang, I moved from Rank 1 Copper to Rank 8 Bronze for 2v2. =o

As awesome as that sounds, it kinda sucks when everyone in the lower leagues just cheeses all day. I can't even count how many times I saw ling rushes, cannon rushes, and Void Rays today. Some are easy to counter, others not so much. But in the end, it's just a huge waste of time because you're not really having any fun, or at least I'm not. There's very little strategy involved if it's all dependent on a coin toss.

Void Rays aren't cheese :lol 6 pool rush? Cannon rush? Those are cheese.

JWong

Banned
watervengeance said:
I'd cheese in high level play. WhiteRa does it.

rhfb said:
Void Rays aren't cheese :lol 6 pool rush? Cannon rush? Those are cheese.

Oh please, are we really going to argue the semantics of the term "cheese"? Sure it's not as drastic and "all in" as the ones you mentioned, but it's still pretty damned annoying and is highly dependent on whether you scout it in time. If you do scout it in time, then there's a good chance you'll win, otherwise it'll hurt you a lot and possibly lose you the game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I can't play this game. I'm in the copper league but I don't think I've been matched up with anyone at my skill level yet.

Top Bottom