• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

scoobs

LAUGHTREY said:
I can't play this game. I'm in the copper league but I don't think I've been matched up with anyone at my skill level yet.
Play custom games to get your skill level up. Watch commentaries on youtube (huskystarcraft, HDstarcraft, Psystarcraft, starcraftlegacy are my favorites) and you'll slowly start winning games and you'll feel soooooo good :D and then you'll totally love this game

Jokey665

I love it when people attack my base, have my army kills theirs, and they gg right there. Happened twice in a row; saved me the trouble of marching all the way over and wrecking their base.

Zertez

Terran turtlers suck. Just had two back to back. They built bunkers and turret first, then sprinkled in siege tanks. Even with full upgraded Broodlords, Corrupters and Mutas I couldnt break it. I ended up quitting just because I was tired of trying to break his defensive fortress.

Ashhong

Zertez said:
Terran turtlers suck. Just had two back to back. They built bunkers and turret first, then sprinkled in siege tanks. Even with full upgraded Broodlords, Corrupters and Mutas I couldnt break it. I ended up quitting just because I was tired of trying to break his defensive fortress.

how could you not break it with broods and corruptors?

Zertez

Ashhong said:
how could you not break it with broods and corruptors?
There was just too many Turrets, Bunkers and a couple Siege tanks mixed in. The Turrets were staggered so while you hit one, another one would be in range. He had some Vultures up halfway through the siege.

Even though I took out a couple of Turrets at a time, I ended up in range every now and then and took some hits. I basically had control of the entire map, but the 3 spots in the North. I took out probably 25 Turrets, 10 Bunkers and maybe a couple dozen tanks. He prepared from the start to turtle the whole game, so it was all defensive. He only attacked my base once, and that was an early Reaper rush on my drones. I used Mutas, Corruptors, and Broodlords. I got to expand 6 or 7 times and work with a mass army, so it was good practice, but no idea how I could of broke it. Guess the thing I gathered out of it, is not to let Terran build up defenses like that in the first place.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
A single turret isn't going to kill broodlords. Neither would 2 or 3. Broodlords are practically an indestructible defense breaker if you have sufficient numbers of corruptors as backup. You either didn't have enough brood lords or you had really poor micromanagement on them.

Ashhong

Yea thats what Im confused about. Even if the turrets are staggered, your broodlords should pretty much never be in range of a turret. It for some reason they spread out and it starts getting shot at, just move that one back. Not sure how you lost. Or even better, attack the bunkers and tanks and run in with some lings. Did he have any marines or anything? Mind uploading the replay?

I believe if you A-move through fog with Broodlords, they end up going into the range of turrets (same thing with SC1 Guardians I believe). The key is to pull them back and move forward slowly if that happens. It's also easier if you have sight. Of course, that's if any of this is true :lol but I'm pretty sure it's the case.

DigiMish

I just got a key, but it says that I must register any Blizzard full bought game on battle.net to get into the beta. Any way around this?

Right now, I'm downloading the sc2 beta client to see if I can just punch in my key there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DigiMish said:
I just got a key, but it says that I must register any Blizzard full bought game on battle.net to get into the beta. Any way around this?

Right now, I'm downloading the sc2 beta client to see if I can just punch in my key there.
Just go to 'Add game' and enter the key. Sounds like you already did it.

ChronicleX said:
Aprox

Lose 2 = Copper
Lose 1 = Bronze
Lose 1/0 with Good APM / Reasources = Silver

For Gold / Plat, you just have to be flawless and crush people in all 5 games in a row. The placement matches are all vs bronze / copper people. If you loose more than 1 of them you do not qualify for anything higher than copper :lol
Nah, a friend of mine won 4 of his placement matches with a bit of luck and early Zealot rushing and he landed in Gold. (and he's only slightly better than me, I'm in Copper league) I think it also depends on who you play against in your placement matches.

For newbies like me, it's great to watch and listen to Day9, he's a great player and also great at analyzing/commenting games. (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=104154)

mbmonk

scoobs said:
honestly to those complaining that you're getting thrown into the weaker leagues... the best way to know where you SHOULD be placed is starting at the bottom and winning your way to the top.

The next reset I'm totally forfeiting my 5 placement matches and dominating my way back to gold... hopefully.

The simple fact that you throw all your matches means you are going to get placed lower than your actual skill level. And therefore it will actually take you longer to get placed in the proper position in the ladder. I guess the upside to your method is at least you are going to probably get more wins on the way to your proper position, compared to if you truly tried in your placement match you would have fewer wins and some more losses.

The major downside is for the other person you are playing in the placement matches. The fact that you are throwing the game might give you opponent a win he didn't deserve. Now your opponent is matched up against better players than he should be. And so while you are stringing together wins, the other guy is taking a punch in the face until the ladder bumps him down.

Then you start talking about the people who are wrongly matched up against the player in the above paragraph. And they are getting easier wins than they should, and they might get bumped up against harder compeitiion early than they should.

So the simple act of throwing matches actually sends a much larger ripple through the ladder system.

If everyone actually just played their placement matches then the ladder system would do a better job of properly placing people. And then we could hear less complaints about how people were put in a the wrong league or matched up against the wrong opponent.

This is especially not fair to the truly new players of Starcraft 2. Lets say they get placed in the lowest league that isn't practice league ( Copper? ). They should really go against Copper talent, but instead they are going to get frustrated of being crushed by people who threw games intentionally.

If people play enough games most of these problems goes away and they get placed in the proper place. But if you frustrate a new user there is no guarantee that they will continue playing to the point where they get correctly placed.

I am probably taking this a bit too far, but I think in general throwing matches does hurt multiple people and that at least should be taken into consideration.

eznark

Banned
woo hoo, first win!

Oh awesome, good players are going to throw matches so they can dominate newbs. What a fantastically selfish idea. If you just want to stomp someone why not play comp stomps?

Won

eznark said:
woo hoo, first win!

Oh awesome, good players are going to throw matches so they can dominate newbs. What a fantastically selfish idea. If you just want to stomp someone why not play comp stomps?

Computers don't feel humiliation yet sadly. :(

eznark

Banned
Won said:
Computers don't feel humiliation yet sadly. :(
I'm not going to feel humiliated if I get beat by someone who cares so much about their rank that they need to game the system. I will just feel badly for that individual and the choices they have made to to lead such a miserable existence.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Zertez said:

I ran into one during my latest placement match. He never expanded though, so I repelled his attacks, did a couple of warp prism drops and eventually he ran out of res and left. I never successfully broke up his ramp the entire game. :lol

I don't plan to throw my placement matches. It's neat to see myself improving with each wipe. I landed in bronze when I first got my key, silver after a patch wipe and I've won the three placement matches I've played since the latest wipe so I'm hoping to land in gold. I don't think I'm good enough for platinum yet, though if I end up there I guess I will learn fast from getting destroyed repeatedly. :D

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Zertez said:
There was just too many Turrets, Bunkers and a couple Siege tanks mixed in. The Turrets were staggered so while you hit one, another one would be in range. He had some Vultures up halfway through the siege.

Even though I took out a couple of Turrets at a time, I ended up in range every now and then and took some hits. I basically had control of the entire map, but the 3 spots in the North. I took out probably 25 Turrets, 10 Bunkers and maybe a couple dozen tanks. He prepared from the start to turtle the whole game, so it was all defensive. He only attacked my base once, and that was an early Reaper rush on my drones. I used Mutas, Corruptors, and Broodlords. I got to expand 6 or 7 times and work with a mass army, so it was good practice, but no idea how I could of broke it. Guess the thing I gathered out of it, is not to let Terran build up defenses like that in the first place.

From the sound of it he had almost no air, but if you mean Vikings and not vultures then a small corrupter force should've been able to protect 7-8 brood lords at that point in the game, and that's all you need. BL's outrange turrets and marines, so with a little bit of vision and proper control you'll be able to burn through it next time. I like to keep my corrupters/mutas just ahead of my brood lords, not to attack, but to defend them from other air units. Force the battle to come to you outside of turret range and watch as marine AI dies to spawn broodlings.

In those situations scout his base as well as you can, most likely with a changeling from the overseer, if you can find an opening, go for a nydus/overlord drop and backdoor him. Otherwise, mass expand to brood lords will win just about every time.

Beginners take heed - you should welcome a super turtling opponent. Take advantage of it. Start taking control of the rest of the map and ensure he doesn't leave this safe base he cherishes so much. In the meantime, if you're something like Zerg, just build to brood lords and then he/she are toast.

It just feels natural to build up a base worthy of mordor when really in Starcraft you have almost lost already by doing so. The offensive opponent has map control, healthy economy, and probably even more info on your base because they keep harassing you and seeing what you're building. Make your enemy scared of you and turtle in!

Akuun

JasoNsider said:
Beginners take heed - you should welcome a super turtling opponent. Take advantage of it. Start taking control of the rest of the map and ensure he doesn't leave this safe base he cherishes so much. In the meantime, if you're something like Zerg, just build to brood lords and then he/she are toast.

It just feels natural to build up a base worthy of mordor when really in Starcraft you have almost lost already by doing so. The offensive opponent has map control, healthy economy, and probably even more info on your base because they keep harassing you and seeing what you're building. Make your enemy scared of you and turtle in!

This is true. Sometimes there's a thin line between a turtle and a guy who's been contained. If he's turtling then he's handing you the map on a silver platter, so take a few expos. Soon he won't be able to move out even if he wanted to.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't both trying to break the turtle, wall them in, expand aggressively, play an attrition war. It's zerg's specialty.

Arthrus

I had an interesting experience with douchery in 2v2 the other day...

The game started with ten seconds of nothing responding, for anyone. None for the rest of the game, but an opponent (blue) said "wtf lag." My ally said "I kno rite, bra?" and then to me, "okay, we kill blue first cause he's a douche."

Now, we just built a few zerglings, roaches, marines, and mards and stomped the poor guy's base to pieces (his ally was going for banshees but the one he'd gotten out was no threat this early). As we destroyed everything, my ally taunted the blue guy. "Cool base, bro!"

It was pretty funny, but man the guy was a dick. Just because blue said "wtf lag."

eznark

Banned
So I just got wiped out by what appeared to be the smoke monster from Lost. Playing against the Protos. What exactly was it?

eznark

Banned
It was cloaked so I couldn't see it, just ripples on the screen. It was super early so I assume Protoss just has some cloaked units?

How do I counter that as terran?

dark templar, I am guessing.

Xyphie

eznark said:
It was cloaked so I couldn't see it, just ripples on the screen. It was super early so I assume Protoss just has some cloaked units?

Turrets at your chokepoint and/or saved up energy for comsat scans with your Orbital Command.

eznark said:

It must have been a DT Rush. Look for a Dark Shrine so you can tell if they're going DTs, if you know they're coming, save up energy for scans and put some Turrets down, and get a Raven if possible.

msv

eznark said:

Scan, turrets or raven allows vision of DT's. They have low hp so you can kill them quickly.

eznark

Banned
Thanks, missile turrets detect cloaked units right?

I was pissed because I had a decent army built up super fast and was going to rush him and harass to hopefully make the match competitive and all of a sudden....BAM everyone is dead!

Won

eznark said:
Thanks, missile turrets detect cloaked units right?

I was pissed because I had a decent army built up super fast and was going to rush him and harass to hopefully make the match competitive and all of a sudden....BAM everyone is dead!

That's why scouting is so important.

eznark

Banned
Won said:
That's why scouting is so important.

I was, I had a sweet view of their whole base with a dude tucked away. I just didn't know about those units so I didn't really know what to look for.

The awesome thing is that even though I am getting absolutely slaughtered I definitely feel like I am learning ten new things every match.

JWong

Banned
Zertez said:

Broodlords outrange turrets by a lot. You're probably positioning them wrong or letting them wander into their range.

Raelson

After hunting around flying command centers for 15 minutes on Kulas Ravine I remember why I removed that map from my list.

goddamit Terran.

mcrae

Yoshichan said:
Haha, fuck you Blizzard. Why don't you stick your copper somewhere? 3 wins 2 losses in placement match = copper placement 50 something? Gtfo with your buggy bullshit.

I waited 8 hours for this :lol?

what the fuck is your problem dude?

are you pissed cause you arent going to be able to play people of higher calibre?

if you're so damn good, just keep winning and then you'll be in a higher league, and start losing. then you can be happy i guess??

people are fucking crazy weird.

mcrae

Zertez said:

definitly upload the replay if you have time. but otherwise:

-if you have total map control, don't bother attacking till you know you can win. make sure you're building units as you're using them and theres no way he can win, just cause you have more resources.
-imo once you have corrupters and broodlords, you don't need mutas. especially not vs turrets.
- when you've got such an economy advantage, make sure you upgrade everything as much as you can
- if you really wanna rub your econ advantage in, make an extra 40 or so overlords and just send them in while you attack with your 200/200 army, to sop up damage. lol.

a turtle in starcraft should never be the victor in a game.... ever....

Akuun

eznark said:

Sounds like DTs. The Dark Shrine is actually at the end of one of the Protoss tech trees (he has to get gateway -> cybercore -> twilight council -> dark shrine to get DTs, and the dark shrine builds really slowly) so if it's really that early, it means he teched extremely quickly and didn't have much of an army.

As the others said, turrets, scans, and once you get a raven you can probably roll him. DTs can't hit air either, so if you're both killing each other's bases you can just lift your buildings for survival.

Placement matches complete. I went 4-1 and got placed in Gold. Currently I have a record of 7-5 and my rank is 46 but has probably gone down a bit since yesterday. The games I won were Gold competitors and all my losses were to Silvers. Ain't that some shit? Still having a blast though.

Now that I've placed scouting as my first priority, I find that I either steal victory or it's very, very close. I'm not getting absolutely run over like I used to. I feel like I still learn a lot from my losses too.

Anyway, if anyone wants to 2v2 with a 'Toss player, feel free to add me. --> Jester.shell
I'm currently not placed in 2v2, fyi.

Top Bottom