• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
What's your race again? Roach rushes aren't that hard to counter.
protoss. I had just got up a second Gateway and was spawning in some Stalkers when he send some Zerglings followed by wave after wave of roaches. I fended him off for a while, but I just couldn't keep up, even when I build yet another GW to bring in more and with the aid of chrono boost. I had a CC up relatively early too, but perhaps it was time better spent on more GW? I'm not sure.

It was the first time I've really been rushed, so I'm a bit bitter still. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Two or three, I think. I usually build another GW relatively quickly. Is that a good or bad thing?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rez said:
Two or three, I think. I usually build another GW relatively quickly. Is that a good or bad thing?

Two or three zealots holding on the choke is enough to scare off zerglings. Instead of building a second gateway, you probably should have gone for a fast robo for Immortals.

I don't know the best timing for this, so a better player can probably give you a more detailed instruction on this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
Two zealots on the choke is enough to scare off zerglings. Instead of building a second gateway, you probably should have gone for a fast robo for Immortals.
I see. Thanks. :)

Any advice is much appreciated. I'm basically learning almost solely by failing and trying new things, so hearing some tried and true methods is always nice.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rez said:
I see. Thanks. :)

Any advice is much appreciated. I'm basically learning almost solely by failing and trying new things, so hearing some tried and true methods is always nice.

Just to point out why immortals are the choice against roaches, immortals do 20 dmg +30 armored. And well, roaches are armored units. Immortals hit roaches so hard that just one or two with just some minor backup can scare away some pretty decently large sized roach armies. They also tear terran mech a new one since their shields reduce damage done against them. Makes them an obvious counter to tanks and thors.

Make sure you're scouting though. If the zerg player goes for zerglings instead (generally unlikely, but possible) they'll tear up immortals.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Roaches without speed are demolished by microed stalkers...

6 range vs 3 and they move faster.

If this was a warren on 19 and 6/7 roach push (usually what people do) you probably could have simply played better early game.

Post the rep?

KnightM7

Banned
Anyone else think Void rays are too strong too early? maybe they could make it so the last level ray could be an upgrade at the fleet beacon, not an expensive one(like how they made concussion missiles an upgrade for terran)
Even better just change the timing on their attack completely so it resets more.

Against terran and zerg you got so much leeway. A few turrets around your workers will easily fend off mutas and banshees early game, and even if they didnt it'll take them forever to actually destroy your base. While against protoss those photons wont do jack because of the void rays range. And if you didnt specifically know they were going for void rays you only got a few seconds till they destroy your CC.

ChrisXIII vs Tryckser

Game 1
Map: Steppes of War
Winner: ........
ChrisXIII
Replay

Game 2
Map: Lost Temple
Winner: .........
Tryckser
Replay

Game 3
Map: Blistering Sands
Winner: .........
ChrisXIII
Replay

Btw: In Game 2 you get some Ultralisk Action :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
spoon! said:
Anyone else getting the attribcache_no_gateway error when trying to start a match?

Yea i just got that then. Loading it back up to see if it's fixed.

Rez just kicked my butt as expected. I fumbled around like an idiot trying to figure out what to do. I think i was too busy stalking and staring at him with my observer to bother about my guys :lol

I really need to learn the units

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
valenti said:
whats yas char.id?

evl.evlcookie

don't go against me. I'm terribad! :lol

Ah game creation is still dead. Might see if it's up later tonight. Throw on some music, headphones and pretend like the AI is actually good. Learn me some buildings and units.

Ashhong

im first place copper in 2v2 with a friend on like a 6 game win streak. no rank up =(

how exactly can we chrono boost buildings from the hotkey menu without giong back to my base? i remember people saying you could do this. i have nexus on 1, and stargates on 2. i press 2, v for void ray. if i press 1 and then c, how do i select the stargate to chrono?

i left click on the icon and it cancels the chrono and selects the stargate. if i right click on the icon, it reprograms number 2 with nexus.

JWong said:
Void Rays are so weak, two marines stimmed could kill it.

i dont know about you, but if i attack with voidrays i always attack the most outside building first to charge up, and slowly creep my way in and keeping the charge. i almost never get attacked before being charged. i eat through units so quickly with 5 charged up voids..

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm confused with the protoss units. I can't really figure out what's good and what's not.

Something is just blocking me and stopping me from figuring it all out. I may need to watch some more good protoss players and see what they do. I just can't figure out a damn thing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
im first place copper in 2v2 with a friend on like a 6 game win streak. no rank up =(

how exactly can we chrono boost buildings from the hotkey menu without giong back to my base? i remember people saying you could do this. i have nexus on 1, and stargates on 2. i press 2, v for void ray. if i press 1 and then c, how do i select the stargate to chrono?

i left click on the icon and it cancels the chrono and selects the stargate. if i right click on the icon, it reprograms number 2 with nexus.

i dont know about you, but if i attack with voidrays i always attack the most outside building first to charge up, and slowly creep my way in and keeping the charge. i almost never get attacked before being charged. i eat through units so quickly with 5 charged up voids..
tmk they got rid of chrono-boosting via icons. It used to be you had all your buildings (or a few) under the same hotkey and you would just tab through them clicking c on the portraits. The TABS you never want to hit by accident.

Zen

Banned
evlcookie said:
Yea i just got that then. Loading it back up to see if it's fixed.

Rez just kicked my butt as expected. I fumbled around like an idiot trying to figure out what to do. I think i was too busy stalking and staring at him with my observer to bother about my guys :lol

I really need to learn the units

I think you can still play Player made matches right now, but the matchmaking isn't working.

NIN90

Ashhong said:

I'm not entirely sure how Chrono Boost works (never play protoss but I think the Nexus is the building that can boost other buildings, yeah?) but in this case it would work like this:

1. Put both buildings in one control group
2. Select your control group
3. Press C and click on the portrait of the stargate in your group

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NIN90 said:
I'm not entirely sure how Chrono Boost works (never play protoss but I think the Nexus is the building that can boost other buildings, yeah?) but in this case it would work like this:

Much better format than what I babbled. I THINK they removed clicking on portraits. I could be wrong.

Also marine/tank/fast raven is awesomes.

It is so enjoyable to play. :D
It also feels like the build takes a lot of skill to do correctly and for the other player (probably Toss) to counter with constant pressure, harass, and air superiority abusing the Terran immobility.

raphier

Banned
NIN90 said:

You can't do this anymore. post-patch 9 they blocked this feature.

Got a beta invite email an hour ago. Damn shame I had to wipe my phone away from a pc thus killing my account as the authenticator was linked on it :(
Not sure how to go about adding a new one and getting rid of the old if I no longer have the old one!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Johnlenham said:
Got a beta invite email an hour ago. Damn shame I had to wipe my phone away from a pc thus killing my account as the authenticator was linked on it :(
Not sure how to go about adding a new one and getting rid of the old if I no longer have the old one!

If it's an iphone can't you backup from a previous restore state? Should have the app still on it. I did that once and luckily enough i was able to restore it.

Watched a 45min long ZvP and it was interesting. Not sure what the hell happened but i guess it's not about building a massive size army and attacking, it seems to be a constant back and forth with 10 or so units keeping the pressure on the other side. Stalkers with blink seem like a great combination when used right as well. And 9 warpgates is a nice thing too :lol

spazzfish

Quick question.
On the multi-player screen near the bottom left side of the screen, underneath where it shows your ladder placement and league, there's a line saying bonus pool and a number next to it that keeps changing. What does this bonus pool mean/represent?

spazzfish said:
Quick question.
On the multi-player screen near the bottom left side of the screen, underneath where it shows your ladder placement and league, there's a line saying bonus pool and a number next to it that keeps changing. What does this bonus pool mean/represent?
The bonus pool is the amount of extra points you get for winning at match, up to getting double the points.

ex bonus pool 20:
You win 12 points in the match, you get 24 points and your bonus pool goes to 8.

You win 24 points, you get 44 points and your bonus pool goes to 0.

The bonus pool grows by itself over time.

spazzfish

PillowKnight said:
The bonus pool is the amount of extra points you get for winning at match, up to getting double the points.

ex bonus pool 20:
You win 12 points in the match, you get 24 points and your bonus pool goes to 8.

You win 24 points, you get 44 points and your bonus pool goes to 0.

The bonus pool grows by itself over time.

Ah great. I understand now thanks:)

Leonsito

Woooooot, just received my beta invite, downloading everything at the moment :D

Any tips guys? I'm going to get destroyed in 5 minutes :(

iamblades

spazzfish said:
Quick question.

Its basically like rested xp in wow.

If you havent played in a while, your points from wins are doubled until the bonus pool runs out.

iamblades

evlcookie said:
If it's an iphone can't you backup from a previous restore state? Should have the app still on it. I did that once and luckily enough i was able to restore it.

Watched a 45min long ZvP and it was interesting. Not sure what the hell happened but i guess it's not about building a massive size army and attacking, it seems to be a constant back and forth with 10 or so units keeping the pressure on the other side. Stalkers with blink seem like a great combination when used right as well. And 9 warpgates is a nice thing too :lol

It's not that it's never about massing a giant army, its just that that tactic is a lot more risky.

All that money you spent building up that army is a sunk cost, and if it is just chilling in your base most of the game, you are getting no benefit from it. Also it gives your opponent time to scout and counter what you are massing. If you build a giant army that is all the wrong unit composition, you are going to lose, period, because you can't afford to replace a giant army all at once. You are basically putting all your eggs in one basket when you sit back and wait until you have a massive army and then attack. You don't really want to make one massive all in bet, you can make smaller bets and use the information you learn to change up your strategy as the game progresses.

Using smaller groups to harass and pressure the entire game is less risky, gives you more information as to the tactics of the enemy so you can counter whatever they are doing, and forces the enemy to counter what you are doing rather than the other way around.

Most importantly, you distract your opponent from all those attacks, giving them less chance to tech up and build their economy, and less opportunity to flank your army and try to take out your economy or do a drop in your base or something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
had fun earlier, evl! :)

iamblades said:
It's not that it's never about massing a giant army, its just that that tactic is a lot more risky.

All that money you spent building up that army is a sunk cost, and if it is just chilling in your base most of the game, you are getting no benefit from it. Also it gives your opponent time to scout and counter what you are massing. If you build a giant army that is all the wrong unit composition, you are going to lose, period, because you can't afford to replace a giant army all at once. You are basically putting all your eggs in one basket when you sit back and wait until you have a massive army and then attack. You don't really want to make one massive all in bet, you can make smaller bets and use the information you learn to change up your strategy as the game progresses.

Using smaller groups to harass and pressure the entire game is less risky, gives you more information as to the tactics of the enemy so you can counter whatever they are doing, and forces the enemy to counter what you are doing rather than the other way around.

Most importantly, you distract your opponent from all those attacks, giving them less chance to tech up and build their economy, and less opportunity to flank your army and try to take out your economy or do a drop in your base or something.
thanks, this is very, you know, logical, but it's good to read it typed out in words.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez said:
had fun earlier, evl! :)

thanks, this is very, you know, logical, but it's good to read it typed out in words.

Agreed. It's something i need to work on, i think you do as well. I know you just massed an army against me which was fun :lol , Neither of us actually did small group attacks.

Scouting at the right time, learning bases and constant attacks is something i really need to get a grasp on. Maybe i will by the time it hits retail.

joelseph

I beat a favored opponent yesterday by the skin of my teeth with great Phoenix micro. It was awesome! Gravity beam is really powerful when you get enough Phoenixs together. They can flank real fast and gravity beam and killing up most of the workers before zipping out.

DaFish

aj2good4you2 said:
i have had the beta for a couple weeks now so im still learning but ill play with anyone. i usually play late nights and what not. add me ="ajgood.ajgood" mostly a terran player:D
I'm in the same boat, let's be buds...

DaFish.gaf

longdi

Banned
Cut away from the gameplay talk, but is it true SC2 will have some battlenet subscription because from this pr, it is likely so. the game will sell for double the normal pc game prices and look at the wording.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that its highly anticipated real-time strategy game, StarCraft II ® .
Wings of Liberty ™ , will be available in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand for IDR 700,000 / MYR 248 / PHP 3,500 / SGD 109 / THB 2,500. With this purchase, players will be able to play online for no additional fee through the new
version of Battle.net ® , the premier online gaming destination for Blizzard Entertainment gamers.

In addition to the unlimited-access option described above, Blizzard Entertainment will be providing alternative pricing options following the launch of StarCraft II. Details and pricing for these options will be announced at a later date.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Getting really fucking tired of this game, like seriously.

I'm so tired of not being able to win fair and square without rush bullshit).

I'm really about to give up. Clearly, 1 ½ week of training non-stop wasn't enough to even start winning copper.

longdi

Banned
NIN90 said:
Sounds like something for internet cafes.
never thought for that, sounds like a steal for internet cafe but here the cafe are not so popular, dun know what to think.

Yoshichan said:
Getting really fucking tired of this game, like seriously.

I'm so tired of not being able to win fair and square without rush bullshit).

I'm really about to give up. Clearly, 1 ½ week of training non-stop wasn't enough to even start winning copper.

isnt SC2 all about the fastest harvest and rush? Blizzard even said SC2 matches should not last more than 20 minutes.

Top Bottom