• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Rez said:
I'm no pro, I'm probably only mildly better than you at the moment, so take this as you will, but I found Protoss to be the most beginner friendly.

Terran are by far the easiest to learn/play. If you have an expansion under attack you can lift it off, you can wall yourself in and still get out, among other things. Protoss is the most micro intensive out of the 3 races due to how specialized each of their units is and their special abilities. Any newb attempting to learn protoss is in for a world of pain.

Feep said:
Also, if I wanted to try out early Dark Templar harass, is there any way this can work against a Terran player who has properly walled off his base? Do I have to build a Warp Prism?

Just attack the wall with 1 DT. When they scan send another 1 at a time until they stop using scan, then send around 3/4 in to wreck havok.

Won

ChronicleX said:
Terran are by far the easiest to learn/play. If you have an expansion under attack you can lift it off, you can wall yourself in and still get out, among other things. Protoss is the most micro intensive out of the 3 races due to how specialized each of their units is and their special abilities. Any newb attempting to learn protoss is in for a world of pain.

Huh? Protoss ground army is extremly powerful and gets it's job easily done with attack move.

Deadly

ChronicleX said:
What? That's crazy I'm freakin noob and only play Protoss :lol The hardest race to play I'd say is zerg

Jokey665

Yaweee said:
Battlecruisers!

Or tank pushing him earlier.
I was actually building BCs when he killed me... I had two out already but they got stomped by mass thor.

Also I hate tanks. I might build 2-3 for defense but I can't use them offensively.

Yaweee

Jokey665 said:
I was actually building BCs when he killed me... I had two out already but they got stomped by mass thor.

Also I hate tanks. I might build 2-3 for defense but I can't use them offensively.

Tank pushing can be tricky, but it is effective if you pull it off.

Thors do splash damage and get bonus damage against Light units, neither of which really hurts BCs at all. Also, their attack is 6 damage x4 missiles, making the BCs starting 3 armor knock off fully half of the already not-good damage. They also make fantastic Yamato targets.

Ashhong

my partner and i decided to play a cheese game today. i cannon rushed and he backed me up later with a void ray rush. the player i cannon rushed got so pissed. kept saying how much of a noob i am and cussing at me. i mean, im not platinum, but noob i am not. just thought it would be entertaining and it so was. well worth it imo :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Feep said:
Also, if I wanted to try out early Dark Templar harass, is there any way this can work against a Terran player who has properly walled off his base? Do I have to build a Warp Prism?

All Warp Gates are automatically hotkeyed to W. It is awesome.

Warp prism might be your best bet, even if they fail they do so much damage to the min line before scanned/taken out that it can be worth it.

Also with the warp prism, you can shuttle 4 over... drop them on the min line. If they start to get in trouble shuttle them back off. If they die you can always wait a minute or so then use the prism to warp some more dts or something else right in to continue with the pressure.

cramcakes

All Warp Gates are automatically hotkeyed to W. It is awesome.

I've been wondering why Blizz did this for Toss but not the other races. Nothing really fits for Terran, but why don't they have a button that autoselects every larva for Zerg? edit: Not complaining, I just think it's kinda weird.

Anyways, cram.gaf if anyone wants to play 2v2. I think I'm giving up on 1v1 for awhile. My heart races and my hands go numb. I can't seem to calm down. Tried alcohol, didn't help. :lol

Ferrio said:
Warp prism might be your best bet, even if they fail they do so much damage to the min line before scanned/taken out that it can be worth it.

Also with the warp prism, you can shuttle 4 over... drop them on the min line. If they start to get in trouble shuttle them back off. If they die you can always wait a minute or so then use the prism to warp some more dts or something else right in to continue with the pressure.

If you do DT harass, it's better to spread them out. If you drop all of them at the mineral line, all it takes is a good scan and unit placement to take them all out unless you micro really well. If you spread them out, then you could have a few pick off stray units or buildings while the others harass mineral line. This way, the enemy will have to waste multiple scans, which is quite a blow to their economy since they can't summon more MULES.

Zertez

Ashhong said:
my partner and i decided to play a cheese game today. i cannon rushed and he backed me up later with a void ray rush. the player i cannon rushed got so pissed. kept saying how much of a noob i am and cussing at me. i mean, im not platinum, but noob i am not. just thought it would be entertaining and it so was. well worth it imo :lol
I would have probably cussed you out too :lol Hate the cannon push. It is funny when people put everything into a cannon push and you just turn around and use Nydus network to bring down their main base. Some get in the mentality that the wall is the only part of the map and then you can slip by with little resistance.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
cramcakes said:
I've been wondering why Blizz did this for Toss but not the other races. Nothing really fits for Terran, but why don't they have a button that autoselects every larva for Zerg? edit: Not complaining, I just think it's kinda weird.

Well, with warp-in, you basically can create units on any point on the map as long as you have power. So clicking your warp gates, then moving across the map to create the units would slow you down tremendously. But with larva, you still create units at the hatchery. It may be more beneficial to create units at certain hatcheries, especially with something like drones. And with Queens, well, you're going to be revisiting your hatcheries often anyway.

Basically, every Protoss ever would naturally bind their warp gates to a single hotkey and rebind every time they made more. Nobody would ever need to bind warp gates to more than one hotkey. So this process would basically become busy work and an apm sink. But with Zerg, different playstyles means that players might choose to bind their hatcheries differently. Some might bind all larva together, some might bind certain hatcheries to certain hotkeys, some might just bind their queens.

ZealousD

Zertez said:
I would have probably cussed you out too :lol Hate the cannon push. It is funny when people put everything into a cannon push and you just turn around and use Nydus network to bring down their main base. Some get in the mentality that the wall is the only part of the map and then you can slip by with little resistance.

Had one game where a Protoss player tried to cannon cheese on my workers on Blistering Sands. Moved them to a fast expansion, and my gateways were far away on the choke. Built up a sufficient force of zealots. He cannoned his main ramp too, so I just took the back door. Walked in, tore up his Nexus, and it was GG.

watervengeance said:
This way, the enemy will have to waste multiple scans, which is quite a blow to their economy since they can't summon more MULES.

Hell they might not even have enough energy for multiple scans.

aznpxdd

ChronicleX said:

Terran was and is still the most micro intensive race...

All of their units are rangef and are fairly weak (minus marauders), so you need tons of micro/dancing to keep them alive.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Zerg is the hardest race IMO. Simply because they have the most difficult macro of the three races, and mastering proper macro is by far the hardest part of the game's skill curve. The easiest probably is Terran simply because they're so traditional and don't have too many weird mechanics to worry about. Marine/Marauder is such a solid combination too, Terran can do very well in low level matches with absolutely nothing but Barracks.

Ashhong

Zertez said:

Well it was my first time ever doing it. It was just hilarious :lol

and every race requires different strengths. Zerg I think needs heavy macro skills, while Protoss needs extreme micro skills. Don't know what to say about Terran..

Is there a way to force a Ghost NOT to shoot (or any unit I guess)? Many times, my teammate sends a cloaked ghost into an enemy base and before he sets off a nuke the ghost attacks an enemy, thus alerting them to his presence.

Insaniac

Ashhong said:
Well it was my first time ever doing it. It was just hilarious :lol

and every race requires different strengths. Zerg I think needs heavy macro skills, while Protoss needs extreme micro skills. Don't know what to say about Terran..

Is there a way to force a Ghost NOT to shoot (or any unit I guess)? Many times, my teammate sends a cloaked ghost into an enemy base and before he sets off a nuke the ghost attacks an enemy, thus alerting them to his presence.

ghosts have a special "Hold fire" button.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mudkips said:
Your thinking was correct.
Shields are best.
No.

Attack infinitely more important. Also shields to not regen during battle anymore. You must not take damage for around 10 game seconds before they start recharging.

The shield upgrade offers almost no advantage that ground armor doesn't give you. In addition it costs much much less per level. Any air units you have should be support to your main ground army unless you are going mass air, in which case you should have 2 cyber cores upgrading air attack and air armor.

The only time the shield upgrade should be gotten is if you are already on 2 attack and 1 armor, or 3 attack 2 armor.

The point of upgrading armor/shield is to make sure you units die in 1 less hit. In this regard armor and shield do the same thing, but one is more expensive.

iamblades

Halycon said:
Protoss easy macro :lol :lol :lol

Well they are compared to the other races.

The warp in mechanic makes it so much easier to manage construction of buildings. One worker can build your whole base, while terran needs multiple workers at times, and you have to remember to send them back to mine when they finish, and zerg you have to remember to replace each drone you use.

With the shift queue feature you can make terran work effectively like protoss though, you just have to think a couple steps ahead.

Also chrono boost is easier to manage than spawn larva, as you can boost multiple buildings at the same time, whereas you can only use spawn larva on the hatch, and it has a cooldown, so you can only use the queen's energy so fast. If you miss a chrono boost on some probes, no big deal, just spend it on some upgrades or units instead. If you miss a spawn larva, it limits your production until the next spawn goes off. Of course once you get 3-4 hatches, you have larva coming out of every orifice, and at that point zerg macro becomes easy mode.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I can't believe they did that to us(Zerg). We have so few options already. Now both ultralisks and roaches are unusable.

Yaweee said:
Zerg need a function on their Hatcheries to call the nearest queen to inject Larvae. As it is now, you need to hotkey all of your queens and all of your hatcheries, and use the Queen's ability on the Hatchery. That seems like too much of an unnecessary complication compared to the other races' macro abilities.

This isn't true actually. If you hotkey all your Queens together (I have all my Hatcheries set to 5 and all my Queens set to 6) and you select them all then click on the minimap where to the Hatchery you want to inject larva, the game auto commands the nearest Queen to inject. So if you have 3 bases, you can press 6, click on your main, 'v', left click on the hatch. Click on your natural, 'v', left click on hatch. Click on your third, 'v', left click on hatch. It makes macroing Zerg so much better and easier than hotkeying Queens individually.

cramcakes

Lol playing random 2v2, decent match but we were starting to lose (partners base was on fire and my forces were dead from a thwarted nydus). My partner left the match and I was about to gg, when one of the enemy left the game and then the second guy did also. Free win!

iamblades

MisterAnderson said:
This isn't true actually. If you hotkey all your Queens together (I have all my Hatcheries set to 5 and all my Queens set to 6) and you select them all then click on the minimap where to the Hatchery you want to inject larva, the game auto commands the nearest Queen to inject. So if you have 3 bases, you can press 6, click on your main, 'v', left click on the hatch. Click on your natural, 'v', left click on hatch. Click on your third, 'v', left click on hatch. It makes macroing Zerg so much better and easier than hotkeying Queens individually.

I find it easier to hotkey the queens all individually, then just double tap the hotkey for the queen to warp directly to that queen/hatch. Saves you from having to move the mouse over to the minimap.

Basically double tap the queen, inject, double tap my army(or whatever I was doing before), and I'm back in business.

Not like zerg have to hot key a bunch of different production facilities, so it's easy to hot key each queen individually.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow, Warpgates are awesome.

Just had a good 1v1 against another Protoss and ended up getting to the point where I was blinking a shit load of Stalkers into his base with some Void Ray backup. My VR managed to only just take care of his Carriers, although most of my ground force was wasted. Once my second wave of VR flew in (finally getting used to hotkeying buildings and building units during a battle, I had, like, five Starports) and I got a probe in to build a pylon and warp in a new wave of Stalkers, it was finished.

The most satisfying game I've had yet. We were on very similar skill levels. It's crazy how quickly I'm starting to pick everything up.

General question for air defense: when is it a good time to choose Phoenix over VR? I'm even finding it hard to justify Carriers when VR are as good as they are against basically everything.

Instro

So how do I get out of copper league anyway? Im 16-16, and ranked like 8th in my division. Do I need to get to first place or something...?

Up for a few games if anyone wants to play.

water.vengeance

Instro said:
So how do I get out of copper league anyway? Im 16-16, and ranked like 8th in my division. Do I need to get to first place or something...?

You just have to keep winning. I had to win at least 5 or so games (consecutively) after I hit rank 1 in Copper. I was playing 2v2, but it shouldn't matter. The point is that if your W:L ratio is still 1:1, then the system will most likely think you're not ready to advance. Keep playing and winning!

fanboi

Banned
Rez said:
oh wow, Warpgates are awesome.

Just had a good 1v1 against another Protoss and ended up getting to the point where I was blinking a shit load of Stalkers into his base with some Void Ray backup. My VR managed to only just take care of his Carriers, although most of my ground force was wasted. Once my second wave of VR flew in (finally getting used to hotkeying buildings and building units during a battle, I had, like, five Starports) and I got a probe in to build a pylon and warp in a new wave of Stalkers, it was finished.

The most satisfying game I've had yet. We were on very similar skill levels. It's crazy how quickly I'm starting to pick everything up.

General question for air defense: when is it a good time to choose Phoenix over VR? I'm even finding it hard to justify Carriers when VR are as good as they are against basically everything.

Against Z Phoenixes are very good at harassing early mid game.

Otherwise... never?

Instro

watervengeance said:
You just have to keep winning. I had to win at least 5 or so games (consecutively) after I hit rank 1 in Copper. I was playing 2v2, but it shouldn't matter. The point is that if your W:L ratio is still 1:1, then the system will most likely think you're not ready to advance. Keep playing and winning!

Ah that makes sense then. No more fooling around with all in rushes then, kills my win:loss ratio when I try to pull something like that off. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Instro said:
When you show that you are above copper level players! Probably like a 50-16 :p
Slightly kidding. If you go like 9-1 or so for a bit it should bump you up. More important I think is your score.

The key to Phoenix use isn't to solely use it as an AA solution. It does a great job of it though, still. Probably better than Void Rays.

Also, Void Rays are more expensive than Phoenixes. Self explanatory there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy lingering around in the Copper League for now. I'm not looking to climb upwards so much as I'm looking to get a good grasp of everything for now. I mean, as I get better I expect I'll slowly climb, but it isn't so much my direct goal so much as it is something I'm willing to let naturally happen.

fanboi said:
Against Z Phoenixes are very good at harassing early mid game.

Otherwise... never?
Heh, fair enough.

i have had the beta for a couple weeks now so im still learning but ill play with anyone. i usually play late nights and what not. add me ="ajgood.ajgood" mostly a terran player:D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ew, roach rushes feel so cheap.

gg mate, I guess you, like, totally out smarted me. :|

ZealousD

Rez said:
ew, roach rushes feel so cheap.

gg mate, I guess you, like, totally out smarted me. :|

What's your race again? Roach rushes aren't that hard to counter.

Top Bottom