• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

scoobs

Yoshichan said:
Getting really fucking tired of this game, like seriously.

I'm so tired of not being able to win fair and square without rush bullshit).

I'm really about to give up. Clearly, 1 ½ week of training non-stop wasn't enough to even start winning copper.
Keep trying, you'll get there i promise. Starcraft is one of those games when you start losing you feel like you'll never win again, then you'll get on a streak and you'll love it more than any game ever.

NIN90

longdi said:
never thought for that, sounds like a steal for internet cafe but here the cafe are not so popular, dun know what to think.

They are very popular in korea as far as I know. They play SC all day at those places.

Zertez

KnightM7 said:
Anyone else think Void rays are too strong too early? maybe they could make it so the last level ray could be an upgrade at the fleet beacon, not an expensive one(like how they made concussion missiles an upgrade for terran)
Even better just change the timing on their attack completely so it resets more.

Against terran and zerg you got so much leeway. A few turrets around your workers will easily fend off mutas and banshees early game, and even if they didnt it'll take them forever to actually destroy your base. While against protoss those photons wont do jack because of the void rays range. And if you didnt specifically know they were going for void rays you only got a few seconds till they destroy your CC.
As Zerg use a couple Queens for early Void Ray pushes with maybe a spore crawler mixed in the mineral back row. They rip through them and you can keep transfusing them for a long time. Once the fight is over, dont forget to transfuse your buildings as well, so they wont have an easy kill. Use your ground army to hit their base if they went all in with Void Rays. Most in lower leagues put everything into early Void Ray pushes and have nothing left to stop your counter push.

JWong

Banned
Yoshichan said:

I'm really about to give up. Clearly, 1 ½ week of training non-stop wasn't enough to even start winning copper.
Sounds like you're a bit slow on your start if rushes are always successful on you.

Won

Losing too much lately. Need to build more units and do less teching!

Also screw you Protoss players and your proxy crap!

LaneDS

ChronicleX said:
Learn 2 Scout :lol

In fairness, even the best players sometimes fall victim to good proxy work (see: WhiteRa using it against other top tier players).

Offensive cannoning, however, is a joke.

Yaweee

LaneDS said:
In fairness, even the best players sometimes fall victim to good proxy work (see: WhiteRa using it against other top tier players).

Offensive cannoning, however, is a joke.

This. It can be rough in maps like Desert Oasis or Incineration Zone if you don't scout early enough to figure out something is up.

Zen

Banned
Yoshichan said:

Don't try so hard, honestly.

longdi said:
isnt SC2 all about the fastest harvest and rush? Blizzard even said SC2 matches should not last more than 20 minutes.

Although I wouldn't mind if this was tweaked slightly. The best SC matches at the highest levels tend to take longer than 20 minutes, and the game feels a little heavily biased towards low tier units right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks guys, I will upload a replay of me playing against another terran later on today.

Cheeto

Yoshichan said:

Post a replay or two of a loss

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
longdi said:
isnt SC2 all about the fastest harvest and rush? Blizzard even said SC2 matches should not last more than 20 minutes.

I had an epic 27 minute game yesterday that was tons of fun. ZvP on metalopolis. Protoss went 4 gate initially, which I fended off with zergling/baneling. He then went into void ray which I barely beat with hydra/queen. I go into muta harass to expand and buy time while he is going into collossi. I got there just as the collosus was finishing and overran him with baneling/hydra/muta. Throughout the game I was able to keep him pinned and keep his forces from really balling up with repeated zergling/baneling attacks on his front door. By the end of the game I had the creep expanded to his natural just about, so much fun.

I can't believe I never got in the beta for this. I'd just preorder it, but I'm planning on using the $20 amazon credit from Mario Galaxy 2 and I can't apply it until the game ships. Just seems silly they were giving out keys on facebook while people who had been signed up for the beta for months with a full library of Blizzard games on battle.net were SOL.

And yes I'll take some cheese with my whine.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
hey guys I picked up this tip from watching psy starcraft, but if you play against zerg as terran it is extremely effective to get a marine or two out there early on to snipe overlords. Most players will not expect this and they generally send their overlords out carelessly to scout. At worst you'll deny them some scouting info, at best you'll cost them 100-200 minerals and supply lock them for a bit. If you do it well, you can put control of the game in your hands early on and steamroll the zerg with a relatively small marauder push.

NIN90

Kodiak said:
hey guys I picked up this tip from watching psy starcraft, but if you play against zerg as terran it is extremely effective to get a marine or two out there early on to snipe overlords. Most players will not expect this and they generally send their overlords out carelessly to scout. At worst you'll deny them some scouting info, at best you'll cost them 100-200 minerals and supply lock them for a bit. If you do it well, you can put control of the game in your hands early on and steamroll the zerg with a relatively small marauder push.

Guys, do this against me and earn my eternal hatred.

Kodiak said:

I don't feel like this is anything too new... whenever I'm zerg and I'm playing a terran, I don't even bother sending my lord out, its gonna get its ass capped for sure if you let it wander around longer than 2 minutes, which is probably how long it takes to get somewhere useful anyways :p

Zertez

Kodiak said:
I just mass Overlords now, especially after the Roach nerf. I normally have the larvae and 100m to spare after a couple bases are going. That way I can have a huge highway and not worry about supply lock when people go Overlord hunting. I played against a guy last night, who used his Banshee force to kill every Overlord scattered on the map, very annoying. Early game Overlord hunting can be effective, but if people dont pay attention to their position they deserve to get them killed. People have been Overlord hunting regularly the past few weeks, so I just send them off to the side of the base and then sacrifice them when I have a backup.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
NIN90 said:
Is my observation right that banelings suck against Zealots?

No way, they're perfect for zealots. In the 27 minute game i mentioned earlier I used banelings to blow up the zealots letting my lings get to the stalkers and sentries.

Alucrid

Banned
Is this beta ending soon? I'm thinking of preordering it to get a code but don't want to get it and only have a day or two with it.

Cheeto

Procarbine said:
No way, they're perfect for zealots. In the 27 minute game i mentioned earlier I used banelings to blow up the zealots letting my lings get to the stalkers and sentries.
Don't roaches cost less per zealot kill?

Xyphie

Alucrid said:
Is this beta ending soon? I'm thinking of preordering it to get a code but don't want to get it and only have a day or two with it.

I don't see it ending anytime soon, they are even doing a ladder reset sometime in the near future. I'd bet it'll probably run for at least another month. WoW+expansions betas have run up to about a week before retail release.

Can anyone link a good resource on SC2 for Starcraft/RTS noobs? Got a beta invite from a friend, want to research a bit before I start getting owned.

Yaweee

Banelings are only good against Zealots in giant clumps, or as part of a one-base bust rush against a walled-in Protoss. Yes, they get the +damage bonus, but it still takes four full banelings blasts to kill a zealot. So, you need to make sure the banelings damage more than one with each blast.

Against Stalkers, it is even grimmer. No +light bonus, so it takes 8 for a kill, assuming no shields regenerate. They also have larger radii, so damaging multiple is difficult.

Yaweee said:
Banelings are only good against Zealots in giant clumps, or as part of a one-base bust rush against a walled-in Protoss. Yes, they get the +damage bonus, but it still takes four full banelings blasts to kill a zealot. So, you need to make sure the banelings damage more than one with each blast.

Against Stalkers, it is even grimmer. No +light bonus, so it takes 8 for a kill, assuming no shields regenerate. They also have larger radii, so damaging multiple is difficult.

why use banelings vs protoss anyway?

Yaweee

PNstyle said:
why use banelings vs protoss anyway?

Like I said, a Baneling bust off of one base is a prominent example, against players that use their buildings to make a thin choke point.

They can also be decent for quick kills against stray pylons (or pylons that power several buildings on their own), or against mineral lines.

Castor Krieg said:
Thank you. Kudos for Maria Ozawa.
:>>>>

Yaweee said:
Like I said, a Baneling bust off of one base is a prominent example, against players that use their buildings to make a thin choke point.

They can also be decent for quick kills against stray pylons (or pylons that power several buildings on their own), or against mineral lines.
my bad did not read carefully

webrunner

Xyphie said:
I don't see it ending anytime soon, they are even doing a ladder reset sometime in the near future. I'd bet it'll probably run for at least another month. WoW+expansions betas have run up to about a week before retail release.

They recently said it will go for a month, and then they'll see- this one is going to end before a week before the game launch, because they said they need some time with their beta servers down to set up the launch servers.

Shambles

Just played a 2v2 of TTvZZ. Went the usual MMM route and ended up getting death bombed from masses of overlords. In retrospect I should have had a few turrents and probably trained up some seige tanks but looking at the replay after all my ally did was build vikings and then battle cruisers at the end of the game when there was nothing but hydra's rolling around. Still have lots to learn.

Kinyou

Is there another good unit composition for Terran except for MMM? At the moment everyone already expects it and goes for Immortals/Hydras without even scouting.

I tried to get rid of the medivac and go for siege tanks instead but this seems to only work against inexperienced players...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Are there that many people new to SC to not know GG at the end of the match? Its been the standard common courtesy/show of respect/sportsmanship since I was playing the original starcraft when I was like 10, 10 years later and while a lot of people say it, Im surprised at the amount who dont.

If I lose, I'll say gg. If they don't say it back I'll make em destroy every last building rather then surrendering :p

Jokey665

Is mass viking viable against anything? I mean straight up 100% vikings and nothing else. I really want to do it but don't want to get wrecked.

Shambles

Jokey665 said:
Is mass viking viable against anything? I mean straight up 100% vikings and nothing else. I really want to do it but don't want to get wrecked.

I've only found vikings to be useful pretty early in the game if you can get a few together to go overlord hunting. I've never really liked them otherwise.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Above posters: Zealots are most always in giant clumps. Baneling micro isn't that difficult, using other units to engage and distract first. Roaches cost slightly more than one baneling, but are countered by stalkers and immortals, and I'm protesting blizzard's nonsense by not building them until they're buffed again. I'd rather take the baneling damage and then let my zerglings/hydras clean up.

It's not exactly fair to say 4 banelings/zealot, and combine baneling burst with fungal spore, well it works out well if you pull it off, even into the later game.

eznark

Banned
Yoshichan said:

I never win, and I am still loving it but I do sometimes wish I could find a game where both teams were interested in teching and basebuilding before rushing. watching a number of replays and it seems like there is never an ebb and flow, just one player rushing and ending the match quick.

Oh I got a beta licence from Blizzard yesterday, that was quite unexpected. Downloading the files now, I'm a complete SC noob but I'm curious to check the game out :)

Tacitus_

Jokey665 said:

Never tried only mass vikings, but vikings make quick work of unguarded expos (land near workers, kill them and fly away at the slightest hint of trouble). I use packs of 6-10 for that kind of stuff.

NIN90 said:
Post build order pls. :)
Will replays do?^^
replay1
Replay2

But keep in mind, i'm new to starcraft and in bronze league (not copper... mistyped in my other post^^) and don't watch many tactic replays because i like to figure them out myself. So fast for me is probably pretty noobish for you guys :D

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Yoshichan said:

You're doing something fundamentally wrong. If you're losing at Copper, odds are 99% it's that your macro is no good. Micro isn't important, scouting isn't important, you don't have to rush, just focus on getting a good build order with good timing, fully harvesting your minerals, expanding, never missing a MULE/Larva/Chronoboost coldown, never queue up any units, and always be spending all your minerals. Just pump out tons of units, attack-move them to the other base, and go back to macroing. You'll win Copper games easily.

Rulza

Neo Member
Hi guys, I recently got the beta.
I've been playing for 2 weeks now. I can tell you from my point of view that there are some game breaking strategies that won't make SC2 GOTY.
I need help GAF, this is my problem:

I'm currently in the copper league with over 70 matches played and it seems every time i play against a terran player they just send all their SCVs to attack and i can't do anything.
I only have three SCVs because one is building a supply depot and he has 4.
We're not stupid GAF, we can all do the math. Everyone knows who comes out on top.

My next problem is with protoss because they don't need a probe working on the buildings while they are being built. That's overpowered.
I think Terran should have the same ability.
This way i can defend against the fast SCV rush.

Rulza the Terran signing out. : - )

Macattk15

How did I go from Silver 2v2 to Copper 2v2 placing after WINNING 2 games in a row?

Rulza said:
Hi guys, I recently got the beta.
I've been playing for 2 weeks now. I can tell you from my point of view that there are some game breaking strategies that won't make SC2 GOTY.
I need help GAF, this is my problem:

I'm currently in the copper league with over 70 matches played and it seems every time i play against a terran player they just send all their SCVs to attack and i can't do anything.
I only have three SCVs because one is building a supply depot and he has 4.
We're not stupid GAF, we can all do the math. Everyone knows who comes out on top.

My next problem is with protoss because they don't need a probe working on the buildings while they are being built. That's overpowered.
I think Terran should have the same ability.
This way i can defend against the fast SCV rush.

Rulza the Terran signing out. : - )

Wut. Joke post?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zek said:
You're doing something fundamentally wrong. If you're losing at Copper, odds are 99% it's that your macro is no good. Micro isn't important, scouting isn't important, you don't have to rush, just focus on getting a good build order with good timing, fully harvesting your minerals, expanding, never missing a MULE/Larva/Chronoboost coldown, never queue up any units, and always be spending all your minerals. Just pump out tons of units, attack-move them to the other base, and go back to macroing. You'll win Copper games easily.
Scouting is super important vs rushes. I'd say scout on 7 if you are losing to rushes in copper. If your macro is good it won't really hurt you.
Macattk15 said:
How did I go from Silver 2v2 to Copper 2v2 placing after WINNING 2 games in a row?
It's an average of about the last 10 games you have played.

I am such a bastard now in FFA. I bury banelings outside players' bases so when I am about to get raped to oblivion I rush the attacking player's base with the banelings. Basically a f'you and good luck against the remaining players.

Top Bottom