• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Rulza

Neo Member
Rulza said:
Hi guys, I recently got the beta.
I've been playing for 2 weeks now. I can tell you from my point of view that there are some game breaking strategies that won't make SC2 GOTY.
I need help GAF, this is my problem:

I'm currently in the copper league with over 70 matches played and it seems every time i play against a terran player they just send all their SCVs to attack and i can't do anything.
I only have three SCVs because one is building a supply depot and he has 4.
We're not stupid GAF, we can all do the math. Everyone knows who comes out on top.

My next problem is with protoss because they don't need a probe working on the buildings while they are being built. That's overpowered.
I think Terran should have the same ability.
This way i can defend against the fast SCV rush.

Rulza the Terran signing out. : - )

This is important stuff, so I'll put it on the last page.. I think it affects us all.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Hazaro said:
Scouting is super important vs rushes. I'd say scout on 7 if you are losing to rushes in copper. If your macro is good it won't really hurt you.
Nope scouting is trivial, just assume they're going to rush every time, and then beat them with better macro. They're in Copper so their macro probably sucks too, especially if they're relying on rush strats. Scouting assumes that you're going to vary your strategy based on the results of your scouting, and that's too complicated for someone who hasn't yet mastered the macro game yet. Starcraft is first and foremost a game about economy and production.

Won

Rulza said:
I've been playing for 2 weeks now. I can tell you from my point of view that there are some game breaking strategies that won't make SC2 GOTY.

I'm currently in the copper league with over 70 matches played and it seems every time i play against a terran player they just send all their SCVs to attack and i can't do anything.
We're not stupid GAF, we can all do the math. Everyone knows who comes out on top.

My next problem is with protoss because they don't need a probe working on the buildings while they are being built. That's overpowered.

OK

Rulza said:
This is important stuff, so I'll put it on the last page.. I think it affects us all.

YEAH

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zek said:
Nope scouting is trivial, just assume they're going to rush every time, and then beat them with better macro. They're in Copper so their macro probably sucks too, especially if they're relying on rush strats. Scouting assumes that you're going to vary your strategy based on the results of your scouting, and that's too complicated for someone who hasn't yet mastered the macro game yet. Starcraft is first and foremost a game about economy and production.
He's played like 60 hours. I think he can scout and macro. It's not hard when you can shift-queue your worker 70 times.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Rulza said:
3.gif

Q8D3vil

the beta is stuttering every 2-3 seconds which is totally unplayable :/
tried everything from disabling sli to forcing v syncand lowering video setting but nothing seems to work.

anyone experienced same or similar problem?!
i want to play SC2 :(

Won

Q8D3vil said:
the beta is stuttering every 2-3 seconds which is totally unplayable :/
tried everything from disabling sli to forcing v syncand lowering video setting but nothing seems to work.

anyone experienced same or similar problem?!
i want to play SC2 :(

Tried updating your network card driver? Had a similar problem and that fixed it for me.

Rulza

Neo Member
Macattk15 said:
I really don't think anyone SCV rushes.

And the Protoss building comment was just retarded.
Sir, have you been in the copper league?
I know how they play. You have no idea...

Rulza the sad terran signing out. : - (

mbmonk

If anyone wants to play some practice games message me (mbmonk.funkytown).

I am just practicing my hotkey setup and use. So I will be slower than normal ( that is saying something ).

I don't really rush so yoshi or any other fellow copper players lets get some fun games in :D

mbmonk

It's clear all the really good, overpowered strategies come out of the Copper leauge everyone. Plat players are just behind the curve.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Hazaro said:
He's played like 60 hours. I think he can scout and macro. It's not hard when you can shift-queue your worker 70 times.
It's very hard actually. There's a lot more to macro than just telling your workers to build things. You need to perfect your build order and completely maximize efficiency of your unit production - always be building one unit at a time from all your production buildings at maximum income without ever stockpiling money or being over/under supply. If you can macro properly then you should be able to steamroll Copper players just by attack-moving a giant ball of tier 1 units. To even be bothering with anything fancier than that in Copper is a mistake because you'll get overwhelmed and never improve the skills that really need improving.

Copper is the worst division to be in. Players in copper usually use cheap rush tactics so they can get out of copper really fast, while the players that lose to these rush tactics stay there for a long time because the matches rarely go beyond 10 or so minutes. It's even hard to leave copper as a new player because you need to win consecutive games against cheese or normal play (which they probably won't have much experience with).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1 base early game macro is more like a mini-game than actual macro :p

Yoshi just needs to upload like 5 reps of him losing and we can easily sort this out.

Chris R

Copper 2v2 to Bronze 2v2 to Silver 2v2. Wish I was back in Copper 2v2 though. I end up going up against better teams with idiots in Bronze... can't wait for Silver heh.

In fact I just finished a game where the idiot teammate of mine tried to turtle with cannons exclusively. NO OTHER UNITS. JUST CANNONS. Lucky for me I held the choke into my base, the other team never went air. They sent a massive amount of stalkers and roaches, but I had just finished my DT Shrine because I had a probe scouting and knew what was up. Lucky for me they didn't send a single observer in the whole assault and the 4 DTs went to work with my stalkers on the high ground blinking around. Held it off, sent the DTs to harass and was able to kill a shitload of probes/drones before they finally died. Massed up more stalkers and zealots with a ton of upgrades (was working on a single base for 90% of the game) and by then my idiot teammate had decided to join in on the fun with 4 or 5 void rays. 30 stalkers with a ton of upgrades, blinking around.

GOOD TIMES MAN Can't wait to go 0-123094 in silver now :lol

spoon!

Rulza said:

The numbers don't even make sense :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NoNy(Kind of a good player) showing what is up against marine/tank/raven.

Brilliant execution. Tomad should have swapped the reactor to factory and pumped Hellion but NoNy didn't give him that much time. Losing the raven and banshee early didn't help either.

Good use of forcefield and lift. :D

Feep

Banned
Rulza said:

I only just started playing this game seven days ago, and I can tell you're clearly a little, ah, shall we say...slow.

Really slow.

something weird happened in my last game. Around 1 minute in some white text appeared in the top left "XXXXXX is slowing down the game" and sure enough everything became slower. How the hell did they do that? :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
something weird happened in my last game. Around 1 minute in some white text appeared in the top left "XXXXXX is slowing down the game" and sure enough everything became slower. How the hell did they do that? :lol
this happened to me in my placement matches. I assume it's an option in the F10 menu?

Won

"xxx slowing down the game" normally means the player's PC can't handle all the action on the screen and experiences slowdowns. And since it's P2P everyone else in the game will get the slowdowns too.

mbmonk

Won said:
Tried updating your network card driver? Had a similar problem and that fixed it for me.

Thank you!!!!

I was having lag about every 1 or 2 minutes. Even if I played against only the CPU. Updating the drivers worked like a champ.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ugh...Won a game...felt really good since im starting to do 1v1s again and Im really bad atm...then checked reply and he was afk for first 2-3 minutes :lol

Kamillio

Neo Member
Corran Horn said:
ugh...Won a game...felt really good since im starting to do 1v1s again and Im really bad atm...then checked reply and he was afk for first 2-3 minutes :lol

LMAO Had this exact same thing happen to me. I felt like such a badass, recovering from a losing streak, only to see the guy started over a minute into the game :lol

longdi

Banned
What a good tactics to use as terran vs Protoss? I know it is good to rush them earlier. What happen when the Protoss player got tons of void rays and mother ship and carriers, is it basically gg?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
longdi said:
What a good tactics to use as terran vs Protoss? I know it is good to rush them earlier. What happen when the Protoss player got tons of void rays and mother ship and carriers, is it basically gg?
vikings are pretty sweet against them.

as soon as i see scan that early sg i pump out vikings. if they're smart though, they'll crank out phoenixes instead.

Top Bottom