• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Jokey665

Has anyone else had an issue where the "Highest Rank" on your profile is reporting incorrectly? It's just showing my current rank; I was Silver 7 for a while yesterday and when I logged on today I was Silver 10. Then I played a game and lost, dropping to Silver 12. My Highest Rank changed to match my new current rank each time.

Zertez

Any higher level Zerg players have a strategy to take down a mid game Terran Mech army push? I get two bases down with a 3rd starting when the push happens. Im close to getting Broodlords, but have yet to get them out in time. I havent figured out a Zerg force that is capable to take out the Mech army yet. About the only advice has been not to let them get to that point before you have Broodlords :/

JWong

Banned
Zertez said:
Any higher level Zerg players have a strategy to take down a mid game Terran Mech army push? I get two bases down with a 3rd starting when the push happens. Im close to getting Broodlords, but have yet to get them out in time. I havent figured out a Zerg force that is capable to take out the Mech army yet. About the only advice has been not to let them get to that point before you have Broodlords :/
I'd probably hold back on that third base and build more units. I don't know what's in this Terran mech composition you're facing, but teching tier 3 isn't the answer.

iamblades

-COOLIO- said:
is gold to plat the hardest transition or something? ive won a ton a matches as rank 1 but it wont budge :[

You are reranked at set intervals.

When you get to the top of your current league really has no effect on when you get promoted.
If you keep winning you'll just be placed higher in the platinum league when you get promoted, instead of being placed at the bottom.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
iamblades said:
You are reranked at set intervals.

When you get to the top of your current league really has no effect on when you get promoted.
If you keep winning you'll just be placed higher in the platinum league when you get promoted, instead of being placed at the bottom.
ah!

this makes sense, thanks.

also, in platinum is there anything higher to shoot for? like a super division or something?

Zertez

JWong said:
I'd probably hold back on that third base and build more units. I don't know what's in this Terran mech composition you're facing, but teching tier 3 isn't the answer.
Hellions with ignitor leading the front with Thors behind them and Siege tanks picking up the rear. No tier 2 composition Ive found can hold up against the damage. Zerglings get roasted first then Roaches and Hydras melt to the damage from the tanks and Thor. The army is weak to air, but Mutas dont hold up against the Thors long. I tried using burrowed Roaches creeping to tanks and use their splash damage against them, but he scanned me out. Really baffled what I can do against this build.

iamblades

-COOLIO- said:
ah!

also, in platinum is there anything higher to shoot for? like a super division or something?

Well, IIRC they are gonna invite the top people on the ladder to tournaments or something, but I don't really think they've said much about how the ladder seasons and tournaments are going to work yet.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
-COOLIO- said:
ah!

The top tier people seem to be asking for a SSS rank division but who knows.

Zertez

Corran Horn said:
The top tier people seem to be asking for a SSS rank division but who knows.
I think there is a pro division above platinum division, but it isnt in the game yet. No idea if it is a division just for "pro" gamers around the world, or if people from platinum can work there way up there as well.

Kamillio

Neo Member
Zertez said:
I think there is a pro division above platinum division, but it isnt in the game yet. No idea if it is a division just for "pro" gamers around the world, or if people from platinum can work there way up there as well.

I think platinum players can work their way there, but it is invitation only, so you won't be auto-promoted.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
nilbog21 said:
nice man =]

i watched you legitimately work your way up from copper to plat :]
i actually started in bronze, i might of said copper, because i used to think copper was the nick name for bronze.

anyway, feels good man. thanks for noticing :D

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Wow it feels weird watching my roommate play with his friends. I would guess they are copper of below level. Rush for DTs, Ultralisks and Thors :lol Its fun to watch

Jokey665 said:
Has anyone else had an issue where the "Highest Rank" on your profile is reporting incorrectly? It's just showing my current rank; I was Silver 7 for a while yesterday and when I logged on today I was Silver 10. Then I played a game and lost, dropping to Silver 12. My Highest Rank changed to match my new current rank each time.
Your 'highest rank' refers to the highest rank you have out of every ladder. It doesn't make sense for 1v1, but say you have multiple 2v2 partners, the highest rank of those partners will be listed there.

In other words, it's not the highest rank you've achieved ever, but the highest one you have currently.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Queen rush... Ouch :(
How is that possible with how slow the queen moves off of creep?

The transport worm can transport the queens to the enemy base.

Great games tonight Jokey665! Lots of fun! I really love this game and it's just the beta!!!

Trin3785 said:
The transport worm can transport the queens to the enemy base.
Ah, yeah I guess so. But I'd think by the time they can build a queen and a nydus worm you'd have enough base defense to stomp the queen (again, they're super slow off of creep).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SilentProtagonist said:
Ah, yeah I guess so. But I'd think by the time they can build a queen and a nydus worm you'd have enough base defense to stomp the queen (again, they're super slow off of creep).
Queens are pretty robust since they can heal each other and have no weakness.
Plus they are ranged and can heal each other.
*To be clear we are talking like 10 queens.

Hazaro said:
Queens are pretty robust since they can heal each other and have no weakness.
Plus they are ranged and can heal each other.
*To be clear we are talking like 10 queens.
Ohh, I was thinking 1 or 2 queens for an early early rush. Yeah, I could see that being problematic. Though I haven't seen a queen rush yet though. Sounds terrifying.

Zzoram

Queens are useless for rushing right now. They barely move at all off creep and they need 50 energy to heal. By the time your ~6 Queens get to the other guy's base, he'll have way more stuff and roll you easily.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Zzoram said:
Queens are useless for rushing right now. They barely move at all off creep and they need 50 energy to heal. By the time your ~6 Queens get to the other guy's base, he'll have way more stuff and roll you easily.

The strat works better in 2v2, but even then you're only going to stop Copper/Bronze players.

Zertez

There is a replay around somewhere of a Queen rush on a 4 player game. Here is the link :lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft#p/u/4/7-nWO5n5zYw

It is pretty funny. Best thing to do is catch them on the move and just kite them down. Almost any unit that has range can kite them. If they get into your base that is another story. If a Nydus network is up in your base, it really doesnt matter what kind of units come out of it. You are going to be hurting if an army is able to get behind your defense.

PNstyle said:
banelings are my new favourite unit after patch 12
they kick ass vs zerg and terran :>
yeah, ive noticed much more baneling rushes early on vs Zerg. I have no idea what to do as terran to counter them, they're downright crippling.

Sarye

Anyone having issues with the game dropping? I recently upgraded my computer but the patch came out around the same time so I'm not sure what is going on. I'm scared to play ladder now cause I've dropped twice already.

Usually it happens well into the game. Then the game freezes until it says I've been dropped. Not all games. But it has happened frequent enough for me to worry. So frustrating

New players, listen up! I just want to bring a hotkey trick to people's attention because even I've been playing for a while and somehow missed this until not too long ago. If you play as Zerg this is particularly important but it affects everyone: appending to a control group!

We all know ctrl + # assigns units to a control group (and if you didn't, you will be flying now!) That makes the game playable. Once you get rolling though you need even more command over groups and especially newly built units. You will find it frustrating that you can't find time to send re-enforcements. However, by having units selected if you press shift + # it will append that to the control group number you want them in. So say you usually do ctrl+1 to make a task force assigned to group 1. If you have a bunch of guys coming out of your base and need to quickly add them to your existing group you can ctrl-click/double click to select them all then shift+1 to add them to your existing control group!

This becomes incredibly handy when paired with awesome zerg hotkeying, since you can ctrl group units after you've selected your larva and told them to spawn into a unit. So, as Zerg:

1) Highlight hatch(es)
2) S for select larvae
3) Press Z three times to spawn 3 zerglings
4)press ctrl+1 to instantly assign that build to control group 1 (another trick all new zerg players need to know!)
5) Later, go back to your hatch, do step 1-3 but this time press shift + 1 to add your newly spawning units to control group 1.
6) When moving your outgoing party on the map, keep pressing 1 then right click somewhere. While you are out and fighting you will have re-enforcements already grouped up in your selection AND rallying to where you are!
7) profit.

Couple this with hotkeying your army buildings (barracks, gateways, hatcheries) and it becomes a tide-turning force for you. I always assign those to number 4 on my keyboard so in battle I just press 4 then do the above steps and I always have re-enforcements to topple my enemy.

Yaweee

MrCompletely said:
yeah, ive noticed much more baneling rushes early on vs Zerg. I have no idea what to do as terran to counter them, they're downright crippling.

I agree, they've been on the rise recently, and particularly so after the roach nerf.

Terrans can get Hellions, as they can kill banelings pretty quick and can counter the subsequent speedlings effectively. Banelings are really only effective against walls and marines, at least as far as Terran are concerned.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Rulza said:
Hi guys, I recently got the beta.
I've been playing for 2 weeks now. I can tell you from my point of view that there are some game breaking strategies that won't make SC2 GOTY.
I need help GAF, this is my problem:

I'm currently in the copper league with over 70 matches played and it seems every time i play against a terran player they just send all their SCVs to attack and i can't do anything.
I only have three SCVs because one is building a supply depot and he has 4.
We're not stupid GAF, we can all do the math. Everyone knows who comes out on top.

My next problem is with protoss because they don't need a probe working on the buildings while they are being built. That's overpowered.
I think Terran should have the same ability.
This way i can defend against the fast SCV rush.

Rulza the Terran signing out. : - )

What? I don't even...

and JasoNsider, thanks for the tip!

Aesthet1c

Yaweee said:
I agree, they've been on the rise recently, and particularly so after the roach nerf.

Terrans can get Hellions, as they can kill banelings pretty quick and can counter the subsequent speedlings effectively. Banelings are really only effective against walls and marines, at least as far as Terran are concerned.

I really need to start using banelings more. Do you basically just use them to break the terran wall so you can flood your zerglings in? Anyone know about how many banelings it takes to take out a terran supply depot? Or even a barracks?

Also thanks for the tip JasoNsider :D

Yaweee

Aesthet1c said:
I really need to start using banelings more. Do you basically just use them to break the terran wall so you can flood your zerglings in? Anyone know about how many banelings it takes to take out a terran supply depot? Or even a barracks?

Also thanks for the tip JasoNsider :D

Banelings:
20 base damage/ +15 against Light (+2/+2 per melee attack upgrade)
80 damage against buildings (+5 per upgrade) (I'm not sure if you have to make sure that they target the exact building you want to damage, though, or if they can damage marines and SDs in the same blast)

Supply Depot: 350 Health
Pylon: 300/300

EDIT: LOL, just got a beta invite to my main email account (my preorder was registered to a dummy account). But, it isn't a key, so it's just on that account =(

Q8D3vil

restarted my pc and the stuttering problem is back again :(
i was playing fine yesterday ( after updating network driver ). but not it's stuttering.
damn beta's :(

Q8D3vil said:
restarted my pc and the stuttering problem is back again :(
i was playing fine yesterday ( after updating network driver ). but not it's stuttering.
damn beta's :(
be careful that you're not mixing stuttering with artifacting

artifacting is an example of a hardware problem. make sure there isn't dust in your graphic card fan or any other fans in your computer.

I just paid $200 for a new video card that burnt out on me

Top Bottom