• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hey guys - based on what we know, does it look like my rig is on the higher or lower end of the spectrum and will I be able to use Ultra settings?

1-2.jpg

Zzoram

The Lamonster said:
Hey guys, based on what we know, does it look like my rig is on the higher or lower end of the spectrum and will I be able to use Ultra settings?

SystemRequirements-1.jpg

You can use Ultra everything except textures, which you can use High. High textures requires 512mb video card RAM, while Ultra requires 1GB.

coopolon

I've been replaying SC1 campaign. Man I suck at RTS's, which is unfortunate, because I keep buying them. I haven't lost yet, but it's taken me wayyyyy too long to beat some levels.

Zzoram

coopolon said:
I've been replaying SC1 campaign. Man I suck at RTS's, which is unfortunate, because I keep buying them. I haven't lost yet, but it's taken me wayyyyy too long to beat some levels.

If you do get stuck:

power overwhelming (invincibility)
show me the money (+10,000 min/gas)

Xamdou

coopolon said:

Then storm right on through
Power overwhelming and Black sheep wall ;o

elbkhm

Wedge7 said:
At the risk of sounding like a jackass, I tend ignore most beta balance complaints. I mean, its one thing if high level players are voicing their displeasure, or if its on sites like TL, but I mean, Joe Warcraft playing starcraft for the first time and complaining about zealot rushing or the OP'ed of roaches is somewhat of a joke. Even moreso when they are using the vast experience of '10 or so games' to back it up.

My greatest fear coming in was every chobo whining about a new thing being imba every other day.
Interestingly enough though, balance for high-level play and balance for low-level play are seperate issues. Some of the problems which can plague balance at high-levels are total non-issues for low-level play (just because low-level players can't do them), while the balance issues that can cause frustration for noobs are often of little significance to pros.

Balance is such a tricky thing because you're not just trying to balance three unique factions against each other, you're trying to ensure they stay balanced across all levels of play.

Has anyone been getting any invites lately? It seemed like they were streaming them out yesterday throughout the entire day. If they are in fact sending out invites weekly as speculated, I really need to know, because I've been checking my Battle.Net / e-mail like a madman :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Zzoram said:
If you do get stuck:

power overwhelming (invincibility)
show me the money (+10,000 min/gas)
oh god I miss these type of codes in games, still remember 'imacheat' from sim city 2000

Corran Horn said:
oh god I miss these type of codes in games, still remember 'imacheat' from sim city 2000

I still think thereisnocowlevel is my favorite from WCII.

Starcraft II will probably be my first game since I have taken a break from games in general. Looking forward to it.

LAMBO

FromTheFuture said:
Has anyone been getting any invites lately? It seemed like they were streaming them out yesterday throughout the entire day. If they are in fact sending out invites weekly as speculated, I really need to know, because I've been checking my Battle.Net / e-mail like a madman :lol

It think the first opt ins got in first, now the blizzcon people get in, and the next wave for opt ins is within the next 2 weeks.

Avarius said:
I wanted to provide an update for players that attended BlizzCon and redeemed their codes, but have yet to receive a beta key invite email. The first wave of invites have already been sent out and a majority of the invites were sent out to BlizzCon attendees. Unfortunately, due to the sheer number of BlizzCon attendees, we could not get everyone in with the first wave. Rest assured that if you did not get into the first wave, you will be included in a future wave, possibly within the next two weeks.

The timing of the next wave will be dependent upon the amount of players that are playing and the load capacity of the servers. Thank you for your understanding and patience through this process.

Well I guess we're gonna have to wait around two weeks for the next wave to begin...

Door2Dawn

Banned
LAMBO said:
It think the first opt ins got in first, now the blizzcon people get in, and the next wave for opt ins is within the next 2 weeks.
I doesn't matter if you opted in first. I opted in the very first day the beta was announced, and I still haven't gotten a key yet.

Calantus

I bought starcraft a couple months ago, started to watch starcraft 2 live streams earlier and got excited for it. So i decided to finally play starcraft, i'm playing custom games to get into the multiplayer type mode, and i'm getting my ass handed to me. I heard that the difficulty on the CPU is random though.

I guess i need to play the campaign to get better?

a176

Banned
Calantus said:
I bought starcraft a couple months ago, started to watch starcraft 2 live streams earlier and got excited for it. So i decided to finally play starcraft, i'm playing custom games to get into the multiplayer type mode, and i'm getting my ass handed to me. I heard that the difficulty on the CPU is random though.

wiki.teamliquid.net

follow the there and the game will come into its own.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Calantus said:

If you know how to play the CPU is dumb as rocks.

I'm guessing you are losing to 'small' attacks in the beginning where they have more units than you?

That is about all they can do. Just spend money like a madman and make the correct units.

Yeah Louder has great micro/multitask and went to WCG USA finals more than a few times, if I remember right. More than a match for 90% of the people out there.

That being said, his use of Sentries is sick stuff. Trapping stalkers on a ramp to be eaten by zealots=awesome.

edit:

And the fact that the protoss are bullshit

Blizzard wanted to make sure SC1 players felt at home with SC2. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Yep most important thing as a newcomer is to make sure you're always spending all the money you have.

Are there any decently skilled streams with a good framerate? Tired of watching streams at 15/20fps.

edit: actually looks like that Louder stream is nice.

celebi23

Hrm, so I ran that "beta opt-in application" thing on my dad's iMac awhile back & it came up with this:

OPERATING SYSTEM:MACOS 10.5.7CPU
TYPE:INTEL(R) CORE(TM)2 DUO CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHZ
CPU SPEED (GHZ):2.42
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):4
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:ATI,RADEONHD2600
GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER:-DESKTOP
RESOLUTION:1680X1050
HARD DISK SIZE (GB):666.875
HARD DISK FREE SPACE (GB):141.869

I just ran the Windows app on my Mac (via CrossOver Games) & came up with this:

BattleNet_CrossOverGames.png

I've got a couple of questions:
Should I replace this with what I now have on the Beta Opt-In page?
Will having the OS showing Windows help me get a Beta Key any sooner?
Should my laptop be able to run StarCraft II (its specs are the same except the "real" OS is Mac OS X 10.6.2)?
(Not going to submit this now anyways. I'm installing (2) 2GB RAM sticks tomorrow. Turns out that I didn't have the right screwdriver for those tiny-ass RAM shield screws :lol )

TheExodu5

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Wow certainly sounds like this game is extremely hostile to newcomers and I should never ever play it.

You'll have tons of fun playing Use Map Settings maps if you never want to get into the regular game.

Mindlog

Frustrated_me said:
Whoa @ Louder. I was sure he was beat, but he pulled through with crazy micro.

Wish I could have seen the after match report a little better. The T destroyed his expansion and entire army. Was the T teching or something else?

TheExodu5 said:
You'll have tons of fun playing Use Map Settings maps if you never want to get into the regular game.
Yeah. I guess all this talk about the beta skewed my outlook on SC2. I would probably enjoy a custom map in the style of dota or something else equally interesting.

celebi23 said:
Hrm, so I ran that "beta opt-in application" thing on my dad's iMac awhile back & it came up with this:

OPERATING SYSTEM:MACOS 10.5.7CPU
TYPE:INTEL(R) CORE(TM)2 DUO CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHZ
CPU SPEED (GHZ):2.42
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):4
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:ATI,RADEONHD2600
GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER:-DESKTOP
RESOLUTION:1680X1050
HARD DISK SIZE (GB):666.875
HARD DISK FREE SPACE (GB):141.869

I just ran the Windows app on my Mac (via CrossOver Games) & came up with this:

BattleNet_CrossOverGames.png

I've got a couple of questions:
Should I replace this with what I now have on the Beta Opt-In page?
Will having the OS showing Windows help me get a Beta Key any sooner?
Should my laptop be able to run StarCraft II (its specs are the same except the "real" OS is Mac OS X 10.6.2)?
(Not going to submit this now anyways. I'm installing (2) 2GB RAM sticks tomorrow. Turns out that I didn't have the right screwdriver for those tiny-ass RAM shield screws :lol )

I'd say just make a new battle.net account and sign up with both for maximum odds.

vocab

Lostconfused said:
Wow certainly sounds like this game is extremely hostile to newcomers and I should never ever play it.

Considering the amount of stuff the original starcraft had, you can pretty much avoid high level play or even the core gameplay all together. A good portion of my Starcraft days were spent on that one DBZ map, Bounds, and Golems. Tons of fun.

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:

The way the placement system works, if you lose a lot of games, you move down to a lower tier until you settle in. Copper is the lowest League, people in there are the ones that are very new to the game and can't play very well. People who win too many games are moved up to the next League so they don't ruin the lower tiers. There are 5 leagues.

You can also play against the AI at different difficulty settings, or play with just friends.

Lostconfused said:

Yeah, what the people above me said sounds about right. Plus I think there's a specific mode which will team you up with other players to fight coop against CPUs, which should get you lots of victories/confidence.

I'm in the same boat as you though man. RTS games terrify me, but Blizzard seems to be trying to make newcomers feel welcome in this game, despite how advanced it is.

Also, watching pro matches from Starcraft 1 helped my game tremendously.

celebi23 said:
I was thinking that but, don't you need at least 1 game tied to a Battle.net account?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

Well, they said that the Mac beta wont be starting for a while, so you might wanna change it. Then again, there's no guarantee that anyone will be getting in whatsoever, so your guess is as good as mine.

vocab

FromTheFuture said:
Watching everyone else play SC2 is getting agonizing. I'm in the mood for some RTS action. Anyone game for some SC1?

I would but Windows 7 color bug is annoying as hell.

I just have a really strange viewpoint compared to most people in this thread I guess. Because I don't even remember how I cheated my way through the campaign in SC. So its really intimidating to see everyone so focused on high level play. Kind of like street fighter 4 I guess.

Zzoram

Louder is #1 in his Platinum division. He just lost a PvP so he's watching the replay on stream to see what the other guy did and learn.

spoon!

vocab said:
That doesn't affect in the colours in game though :)

Louder is #1 in his Platinum division. He just lost a PvP so he's watching the replay on stream to see what the other guy did and learn.
He got straight up out macro'd. The number of gates the other dude had when he scouted them late game was nuts. Dude must have been running on 2 expos which he failed to harrass....

vocab said:

use chaoslauncher and youll be pleasantly surprised.

And lostconfused, yes yes and more yes this game is impossible to do decent at unless you spend hours and hours with it. But like others said that's because these are melee, ladder matches going on basically.

I'm no great shakes but I'm not THAT bad either, and every game I play I get my ass handed to me. I have a few zealots and the other guy already has 5 zealots and his teammate has like 4 marines and theyre decimating my teammate. Then later when I have a massive army of zealots and stalkers that took me the whole game to produce, the other guy has a mothership, 20 void rays and a stalker for every one of my zealots. The mothership takes out my entire army in one black hole. "GG" kthxbai indeed!

edit: I know my army was misproduced, i had too many zealots and too little of other more effective units for endgame play. But still, I had hoped to even do a little dent in this guy before I quit out of being simply WAY outmatched. And I lost nearly all my units to a black hole. Fun fun.

By the way, nobody plays zerg it seems and I've had multiple games where everyone but me chose protoss. Balance? lolol everyone uses toss it seems.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ew USWEST.

Real men live on the East Coast. :lol

Anyways here's to hoping the netcode is greatly improved over SC1. Heroes of Newerth has done some absolutely amazing things...I hope SC2 can match it.

Actually, I hope SC2 can match or surpass a lot of the other HoN features too. Persistent replays are awesome.

hehe I have sc2 beta and I'd actually prefer to play with you guys. Problem is, playing the sc2 beta has made me completely question my gaming integrity, I'm just SO BAD.

Top Bottom