• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

jasonng

Yoshichan said:
Yeah but I was thinking since I was pumping out so many sentries, I might as well :(...

But did you realize you still couldn't spend all that gas so fast? I stopped watching as soon as the void rays invaded your base. Yeah, you definitely need to first work on a comfortable build order then your macro. As soon as you got your first army out (which you *didn't* hotkey by the way) you stopped base building altogether and was only watching your army fall to their death only to work on a second army right after instead of during the push.

What's worse is that you continued to pull out zealots and sentries even after you saw the battlecruiser and void rays from the failed push. I would've switched gears and start building air units to counter.

EDIT: goddamn you watervengence. You said it better than I did.

iamblades

Yoshichan said:
Got it. Okay I uploaded it for anyone who wants to see my scrubby ass. This is usually how every game I play is so... yeah.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/dXFYNnFOQ1I4aU94dnc9PQ

Also, PLEASE don't mind the "fuck you" in the end of the video :lol I'm usually not like that but I was really pissed off there...

couple things:

you got your gas way too early, which means your probe count was lower for the first half of the game or so. Your first gas should be finishing right as your gateway is finishing, and your second should go up right as the cybercore finishes and you start researching warpgate.

You also got way too many sentries, not enough stalkers. Stalkers should be like 50% of your army, If you had 5-6 more stalkers you could have killed off those void rays in that first battle and he wouldn't have been able to turn around and go for your base, or at least not before you had time to rebuild your army.

Ashhong

watervengeance said:
I'm afraid I'm going to be quite blunt here.

How did you feel when you lost that battle and you went back to your base to build units only to find out that you could only pump out 3 units?

:lol i know youre not trying to be mean, but youre wording here cracked me up. what is the acceptable time to build gas? i have been really focusing on getting a double gateway up and pumping out a cyber as soon as the first comes up. i am lucky to produce a stalker and research warpgate, then have to wait forever for Twilight Council for blink. my BO

9 pylon
11 gate
12 gate
14 ass
15 pylon
16 ass
16 cyber (i think, i usually get it whenever the gateway is done but i forgot when that is)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
watervengeance said:
I'm afraid I'm going to be quite blunt here.

text
THANK YOU. I'll improve hopefully, there are so many good points with the stuff you said and I'll get better. I don't care how harsh you were, you can even say "You suck ass you scrub" and I'll take it and try to improve.

Thanks man! Sooo many good points, it's crazy. Double assimilator, mostly is a wierd thing I've always done.

Ashhong

Yoshichan said:
THANK YOU. I'll improve hopefully, there are so many good points with the stuff you said and I'll get better. I don't care how harsh you were, you can even say "You suck ass you scrub" and I'll take it and try to improve.

Thanks man! Sooo many good points, it's crazy. Double assimilator, mostly is a wierd thing I've always done.

ive always done double ass too, mainly because its so cheap i dont see why not. if you must do require more gas though, and yet are kind of low on minerals, i recommend only putting 2 probes on each assim for the time being, as 3 probes is not a HUGE jump in gas gathering speed.

Yoshichan said:

You suck ass you scrub.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I've been trying to get Zerg down but I'm always gettin destroyed. As a Zerg player, am I not trying to let the opponent get to 3rd tier? Cuz I cannot seem to beat any top tier units with hydra or roaches and brood lords suck against tons of void rays and the likes. Any general tips with regards to standard Zerg BO?

jasonng

Yoshichan said:

Have you been watching your own replays? Half the times I lose I would always wonder "How the hell did he pull out a bigger army than I did before me?" So I would go watch the replay and see what he did and then I would understand.

Watching replays certainly helps me. From there I learn common strategies and hotkeys.

Proc

I feel bad for my 2v2 partners.

I am good early game but my mid-late game is terrible.

I definitely have to get better at not letting my opponent have a strong mid-late game.

iamblades

Ashhong said:
:lol i know youre not trying to be mean, but youre wording here cracked me up. what is the acceptable time to build gas? i have been really focusing on getting a double gateway up and pumping out a cyber as soon as the first comes up. i am lucky to produce a stalker and research warpgate, then have to wait forever for Twilight Council for blink. my BO

9 pylon
11 gate
12 gate
14 ass
15 pylon
16 ass
16 cyber (i think, i usually get it whenever the gateway is done but i forgot when that is)

I typically put the cyber core before the second gate so I can get that first stalker and sentry out asap to defend against any rush.

By that time my scouting probe should see what they are going for and I can either drop down 3 more gates fast, or another gate and a fast robo.

I like saving that 150 minerals for the early second gate and using it on probes. Those 3 probes help your economy a lot over the course of the entire game, much more so than being able to get out a couple more zealots in the early game. Especially considering zealots are practically useless against all of the early rush units because they are so slow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok! Going to watch some replays while listening to Lady Gaga (paparazzi)! Hell YES!

Ashhong said:

9 pylon
11 gate
12 gate
14 ass
15 pylon
16 ass

Look I am bad at this game but one thing reading up and watching a lot of replays have told me is that in terms of gas, it's not like you follow a strict build order on it... Well you do, but you have to realise that at a certain point you gotta make sure you're thinking for yourself on it.

I was following build orders but then adapting to certain situations, once I wanted to get stacks of hydras but then I was switching out to get some but mostly lings + Blings, which isn't as gas intensive. I ended up losing, but the dumb thing is, if I had more Lings I probably would've been fine. I had creep everywhere, I was doing things right but when I lost I had not much minerals but like way too much gas, like 500

I had gone way too early gas and kept collecting gas when I didn't need it. I should have turned the drones to minerals. That 500 could've been another expansion, 20 more lings, upgrades, base defense... you get the idea.

Basically just look at every loss you have I have found is the absolute best tactic. Pinpoint where things go wrong, think about what could have made them go in your favour. I have found myself getting a lot better just focusing on the basics since so many people out there have either no plan or follow a plan but never adapt.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. Starcraft 1 feels like Barbies Horse Adventure compared to this. Totally unforgiving.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ahoyhoy said:
This is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. Starcraft 1 feels like Barbies Horse Adventure compared to this. Totally unforgiving.
wat wat wat?

id like to remind you that in sc1 you could only select a dozen units at a time

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
-COOLIO- said:
wat wat wat?

id like to remind you that in sc1 you could only select a dozen units at a time

This game is just so much more frustrating than SC1, not because of the game mechanic limitations, but because of the structure of the units, abilities, etc. etc. It's just too much damn pressure.

aznpxdd

ahoyhoy said:
This game is just so much more frustrating than SC1, not because of the game mechanic limitations, but because of the structure of the units, abilities, etc. etc. It's just too much damn pressure.

Play FFA.

Ashhong said:
so...ull be giving up on the game entirely?

I'll play throught the singleplayer and probably watch competitive play if it's successful in Korea. I'm not interested in the multiplayer part if I can't play with my friends.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Trin3785 said:
I've been trying to get Zerg down but I'm always gettin destroyed. As a Zerg player, am I not trying to let the opponent get to 3rd tier? Cuz I cannot seem to beat any top tier units with hydra or roaches and brood lords suck against tons of void rays and the likes. Any general tips with regards to standard Zerg BO?

Late game zerg is a lot about macro. You mostly need to have the confidence that as long as you are dealing significant amounts of damage, you will, in general, be able to rebuild faster. Running at 3-4 base by that point is really what does it.

Aside from that, I've seen and found that some good infestor usage can really mean the difference. Either rooting or mind controlling collossi/thors can really help, but that takes some good control. Focusing on macro more will help your success rates a lot more early on.

As for build order, Idra demonstrated today on the HDH stream that 14-15 pool into 15-16 hatch is still a great build, all-in rushes aside. Lately I've been doing a 14 pool into 14 gas then grab a hatch at 19-21 to get some more map presence early on with slightly faster speedlings.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Procarbine said:
Late game zerg is a lot about macro. You mostly need to have the confidence that as long as you are dealing significant amounts of damage, you will, in general, be able to rebuild faster. Running at 3-4 base by that point is really what does it.

Aside from that, I've seen and found that some good infestor usage can really mean the difference. Either rooting or mind controlling collossi/thors can really help, but that takes some good control. Focusing on macro more will help your success rates a lot more early on.

As for build order, Idra demonstrated today on the HDH stream that 14-15 pool into 15-16 hatch is still a great build, all-in rushes aside. Lately I've been doing a 14 pool into 14 gas then grab a hatch at 19-21 to get some more map presence early on with slightly faster speedlings.
Thanks alot for the tips!!

Siege Tanks are the bane of my existence. :lol

I would've lost if I hadn't gone for Dark Templars.

Super mega pro tip: Don't press right click to move your army because you end up suiciding your entire army without doing a single thing. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:D
2r5amg7.jpg

iamblades

Procarbine said:

^^

playing as zerg you pretty much always need to be at least one base up on the other races.

You also need to keep up on the larva injections.

Last but not least, use your creep tumors and overlords to cover the entire map in creep. It makes it so much easier to get your army in position quickly.

I tried playing that Turret defence map in the editor and I get a bunch of errors in white text on the left side of the screen when I play it. What am I doing wrong?

It is not often I save replays but this one is worth it. I failed a Zelot rush since my foe cannoned his ramp choke, so I decided to cannon the crap out of down below. Apart from my starting 2-3 zelots (that died) I made nothing but cannons the entire match... and won :lol

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IOTDQVJU

I expected more of Gold Players :D

Ashhong

watervengeance said:
Some people just don't give up. Spent 20 minutes trying to kill this one dude that just wouldn't leave the game.

yea its pretty annoying, especially when they are just doing it to dick you around in hopes of you leaving.

Proc

^I see this a lot.

I try to congratulate and surrender asap.

What counters carriers?

I've been a wrecking ball if my opponent lets me get to the stage of massing carriers.

fanboi

Banned
Proc said:
^I see this a lot.

I try to congratulate and surrender asap.

What counters carriers?

I've been a wrecking ball if my opponent lets me get to the stage of massing carriers.

If you are letting him getting carriers (alot that is) you are doing it wrong.

If they get a X number of carriers you are gnight.

But they are not "easy" to get alot of...

Any way, counter... Void ray as Protoss (focus on the ship not interceptors).
Corruptors as Zerg.
Terran... dunno, I think GG.

Skeyser

PantherAttacks said:
I'll play throught the singleplayer and probably watch competitive play if it's successful in Korea. I'm not interested in the multiplayer part if I can't play with my friends.

I'm pretty sure you can play the US version in EU or vice-versa, so just get w/e version you need to play with your friends shipped to you.

Proc

Yeah, I'm in copper, where I belong lol. I didn't play much multiplayer starcraft but I am having a blast with this iteration. Actually, I haven't had this much fun playing an rts since generals/cnc3.

Usually I tell my partner to mass enough ground defenses while I quickly make 3 stargates and proceed to pump out as many air units as humanly possible. 2 void rays for my own defense, then the rest as carriers.

By that point I'm loaded with resources and then I just throw down a bunch of stationary defense and plan for an all out attack.

At that point I like to do my third expansion and create some ground units.

Works out well a lot of the time but I am super vulnerable to a rush and isn't a realistic strat at all 1v1.

Man I love this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what exactly are sentries good for? I almost never bother spawning them. I take it they're more of a base-defence unit in low-mid level play? any tips would be great.

Ashhong

Proc said:
Yeah, I'm in copper, where I belong lol. I didn't play much multiplayer starcraft but I am having a blast with this iteration. Actually, I haven't had this much fun playing an rts since generals/cnc3.

Usually I tell my partner to mass enough ground defenses while I quickly make 3 stargates and proceed to pump out as many air units as humanly possible. 2 void rays for my own defense, then the rest as carriers.

By that point I'm loaded with resources and then I just throw down a bunch of stationary defense and plan for an all out attack.

At that point I like to do my third expansion and create some ground units.

Works out well a lot of the time but I am super vulnerable to a rush and isn't a realistic strat at all 1v1.

Man I love this game.

sounds like you are extremely lucky that your opponent doesnt hit you sooner. i have been doing this with my friend, i mass stalkers while he techs to voids. many a times the opponent hits us when he has like 1 void and i an ok group of stalkers. problem is its both of the other team attacking so we lose. same should be happening to you.

Rez said:
what exactly are sentries good for? I almost never bother spawning them. I take it they're more of a base-defence unit in low-mid level play? any tips would be great.

im sure someone else will provide a better explanation, but the best advice i can give is for you to watch replays of pro players, maybe WhiteRa or NonY. i think they are protoss. sentries with a group of stalkers are a must as their guardian shields would reduce a great number of damage coming to them. also the force fields allow you to separate the opponents army so that a group of zealots can go to work

however, recently i have been massing stalkers and attacking once blink is done. i then sneak-blink in from the side and attack their base. since im doing this i dont use sentries. wish i did though. hmmm i should use warp prism to help blink, and then warp in sentries. yea, thats wat ill do.

Chris R

Silver... it has been easier than Bronze. Played a few 2v2 matches today, Terran didn't wall in, lack of detect invis allowing DTs to sneak into mineral lines, and basically being able to win with a simple 4-6 gate build. Don't really like winning like that, I prefer when games go on for 15+ minuets so I can get a few Robos out, or maybe go VR/Carriers, but whatever.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
rhfb said:
Silver... it has been easier than Bronze. Played a few 2v2 matches today, Terran didn't wall in, lack of detect invis allowing DTs to sneak into mineral lines, and basically being able to win with a simple 4-6 gate build. Don't really like winning like that, I prefer when games go on for 15+ minuets so I can get a few Robos out, or maybe go VR/Carriers, but whatever.
My last like 5 games have been against Gold level players and Im always winning soundly...but whenever I play a silver rank, oh shitttttt

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Rez said:
sentries seem like one of those units that's always a good idea. unless you have no gas or too many of them already. all their skills are very useful yet very different and they do decent nuetral damage

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rez said:
Just a handful can make all your units take more hits to kill, reduce the DPS of an MMM ball by a large number, cut off half an army, trap ranged units, glitch AI, create meatshields, scout, oh my god it's the best unit.

Vaporak

Rez said:

Sentries are amazing. Forcefield is AMAZING. They're honestly the only reason Protoss tier 1 isn't completely steamrolled by Terran and Zerg tier 1. I'll echo the "just go watch pro games" recommendation, any one of them with Protoss in it should have sentry use. But here's some basic ideas:

In the middle of assaulting the enemy natural? Force Field their ramp to stop any enemy reinforcements while you go to town on their hive/nexus/CC. Army fighting anywhere near a ramp? Retreat/wait there and then forcefield their army in half and massacre the half that you can reach. Fighting out in the open somewhere? Use forcefield to block off one of your flanks and funnel enemy melee units into your zealot wall. Got Collosai? make an improvised wall to allow them to take free shots at shorter ranged enemy units. Marauders trying to kite zealots? Forcefield behind the enemy and trap them in melee with your zealots.

The ability to have control over the battlefield terrain is just so useful and is an ability that can be adapted to many different situations. And this isn't even touching on their other 2 abilities or decent ranged damage. MAKE SENTRIES! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow! shame I can't play until Thursday night.

are they generally better left until after you have a reasonable amount of zealots and/or stalkers in a typical match? this is all stuff I'd usually work out myself, but asking this is the closest I can get to playing at the moment. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rez said:
oh wow! shame I can't play until Thursday night.

are they generally better left until after you have a reasonable amount of zealots and/or stalkers in a typical match? this is all stuff I'd usually work out myself, but asking this is the closest I can get to playing at the moment. :lol
Get a sentry as your 2nd or 3 unit imo. That lets you build up energy and you can FF your ramp if anything whacky happens to buy time.

Watch orb's stream (check teamliquid) for sentry use.

Some people go heavy sentries and I can't help but feel it almost CAN'T be bad. If you have the ability to throwdown 25 forcefields in a fight you only need to fight 1/3 of the army at a time and suffer almost no losses over and over.

Top Bottom