• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

iamblades

Rez said:
what exactly are sentries good for? I almost never bother spawning them. I take it they're more of a base-defence unit in low-mid level play? any tips would be great.

They are a defensive unit, but not really base defense(although early game forcefield is useful to block your ramp, if you are relying on only sentries to defend your base you will lose). They defend your army. All three of their spells can greatly reduce the amount of incoming damage on your army, giving your units time to kill some of the opponent's army to give you the numbers advantage in that battle.

Good use of sentry abilities is key for winning ground battles as protoss, as protoss units don't do the kind of ranged damage terran units do, and are much more expensive than zerg units, so you will almost always be at a disadvantage in terms of the sheer numbers. With sentries though, you can basically take any melee or short range units out of the fight completely, and significantly reduce the incoming damage from light ranged units like marines and mutalisks. If you use hallucinate you can create fake units to absorb certain special abilities like neural parasite or feedback, in addition to just taking damage in the place of real units. That one is harder to pull off effectively though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this explains so much about why I have trouble against competent early game zerg.

iamblades

Hazaro said:
Get a sentry as your 2nd or 3 unit imo. That lets you build up energy and you can FF your ramp if anything whacky happens to buy time.

Watch orb's stream (check teamliquid) for sentry use.

Some people go heavy sentries and I can't help but feel it almost CAN'T be bad. If you have the ability to throwdown 25 forcefields in a fight you only need to fight 1/3 of the army at a time and suffer almost no losses over and over.

Depends on what kind of army you are facing.

Against lings and roaches and zealot heavy protoss armys, sure it works wonders. It doesn't really help much with terran MMM balls or hydras or stalkers(especially with blink), aside from possibly preventing a weaker force from being able to retreat, or holding them up long enough for you to storm them or something. Against those armies you need immortals and stalkers, so you gotta be careful to not spend too much gas on sentries.

You never really need more than about a dozen sentries, no matter what your army size is, that amount will give you plenty of energy to use however you want.

OMG The League system is so shite. It just promoted me to Gold League Status, I was in Bronze 2 days ago :lol

I am seriously shite yet I got up up and up.... If I hit the plat league I am gonna file a bug report.

IceMarker

I've played too many Tower Defense games on my iPod alone to be fascinated by them anymore. Count me out.

On the other hand I will be looking forward to any 3rd person shooter maps people make for Starcraft II. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those weren't an official mission in the campaign for Nova.

Most of all, I'm just looking for some damn good Melee maps made by people like me and MisterAnderson. Always could use more maps to do battle on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
iamblades said:
Depends on what kind of army you are facing.

Against lings and roaches and zealot heavy protoss armys, sure it works wonders. It doesn't really help much with terran MMM balls or hydras or stalkers(especially with blink), aside from possibly preventing a weaker force from being able to retreat, or holding them up long enough for you to storm them or something. Against those armies you need immortals and stalkers, so you gotta be careful to not spend too much gas on sentries.

You never really need more than about a dozen sentries, no matter what your army size is, that amount will give you plenty of energy to use however you want.
Shield is always helpful. Always. Alwaysssssssss. esp since it cuts Marine damage but a large % and makes stalkers die in 1 less hit (not that mards don't overkill them like mad anyway)
So is forcefield. Sure it won't be as effective vs ranged units but you can still split armies and put 2/3 range of forcefield between you.

Gas invested in sentries is gas you keep. You really want to protect your sentries just as a Terran should protect his tanks.

Overspending gas is something you should be wary of, but your sentry numbers should slowly build up over time.
g23 said:
OMG how long does it take to update this POS? seriously?

(I just got in the beta)
You need to update each patch so you can view older replay files and whatnot. Expect a series of 8 small patches, a 500MB editor patch, and another 3 small patches.

uh so I added the game to my collection on battle.net but when I try to log into battle.net via starcraft 2 it tells me I don't have the game.

alllright.

iamblades

Hazaro said:
Shield is always helpful. Always. Alwaysssssssss. esp since it cuts Marine damage but a large % and makes stalkers die in 1 less hit (not that mards don't overkill them like mad anyway)
So is forcefield. Sure it won't be as effective vs ranged units but you can still split armies and put 2/3 range of forcefield between you.

Gas invested in sentries is gas you keep. You really want to protect your sentries just as a Terran should protect his tanks.

Overspending gas is something you should be wary of, but your sentry numbers should slowly build up over time.

You need to update each patch so you can view older replay files and whatnot. Expect a series of 8 small patches, a 500MB editor patch, and another 3 small patches.

Oh yeah, I know GS and FF are powerful, I always go fairly heavy sentry, at least a lot heavier than I see most of the high level players doing, I was just saying that sentries are a support unit, they can't really win games by themselves.

west

mescalineeyes said:
uh so I added the game to my collection on battle.net but when I try to log into battle.net via starcraft 2 it tells me I don't have the game.

alllright.

Did you download it directly from blizzard? I had a smiliar issue, uninstalling and using the blizzard downloader helped.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
BNet should have the ability to create custom ladders and custom tournaments

Cant see why it doesnt personally

joelseph

I need to practice my sentry micro. They always end up separated from the group just enough so that their shield is just missing my zealots, and then I lose precious time trying to move them in range.

And a question on force field. Watching Orb do it, he puts down such smooth lines of fields. is there a trick to getting them layed out like that or you just have to be quick on the button spam?

robochimp

Mr Cola said:

I think they've mentioned that when talking about the things they will be charging for on bnet

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
robochimp said:
I think they've mentioned that when talking about the things they will be charging for on bnet
CHARGING?

D:

Sarye

how do people group their sentries? I usually have them together in a big army but now it seems like I should put them in a 2nd group and keep them far back enough? Just wondering how other people do it.

Tenks

Mr Cola said:

I think custom tournaments was on their wish list that they didn't have time to get around to. So hopefully in an expansion release they'll update BNET to allow it.

Mr Cola

Just occurred to me that when sc2 ships 90% of the new players, having played the SP are going to go Terran :( and ill be fucked if every game is an hour long tvt macro fest.

Time to learn a new class

Kinyou

I'm now officially in love with the Thor.

I used to get easily owned by mutas after my enemy discovered I was going for MMM, but now I just build 3-4 Thors and those mutas become worthless. Then I just need to clean up his base because he will have just some minor ground forces. :D

Aesthet1c

Kinyou said:
I'm now officially in love with the Thor.

I used to get easily owned by mutas after my enemy discovered I was going for MMM, but now I just build 3-4 Thors and those mutas become worthless. Then I just need to clean up his base because he will have just some minor ground forces. :D

Are muta's really a good of a counter to MMM? It seems like if I ever try to muta attack an MMM they just get demolished by the billions of marines the terran player has.

The counter I've been using that works semi well is mass hydra's with some infesters. It works wonders because most every MMM ball is sprinkled with siege tanks or thors, so I neural parasite them, fungal growth the ball, let my hydras dps and profit (well.. sometimes profit).

I also don't really like going muta's because if the opponent has any kind of air force, then it's GG for me, because they fail to almost any other flying unit. I usually only make like 5-6 muta's and use them to harass the opponents mineral line.

raphier

Banned
msv said:
Argh, I hate seeing that old footage. It's all so colorful and clear to see :( why did they have to change it and make it so bleak, it's so much more vibrant in that old footage. Ugh.
Because blizzards fans argued that it looked too vibrant to be in starcraft universe and looked like something out of WC3 and toys, thus the change.

msv

raphier said:
Because blizzards fans argued that it looked too vibrant to be in starcraft universe and looked like something out of WC3 and toys, thus the change.
Doesn't sound like something anyone that's serious about SC2 multiplayer would argue. Washing out the colors would only make it harder to discern units. It doesn't seem too vibrant to be in the SC universe as well, SC1's colors were more like the old footage.

msv said:
Argh, I hate seeing that old footage. It's all so colorful and clear to see :( why did they have to change it and make it so bleak, it's so much more vibrant in that old footage. Ugh.
I don't like the colors but I wish the Battlecruisers still had that crazy lazer spell.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rez said:
what exactly are sentries good for? I almost never bother spawning them. I take it they're more of a base-defence unit in low-mid level play? any tips would be great.

Sentries are in the running for one of the most awesome new units in the game. The shield ability helps out a lot for MMM balls and Mutalisks. Force Field is fucking DEADLY when you have 4+ sentries. Properly microed a set of force fields can cut off a significant part of your opponent's forces from the battle.

joelseph

ZealousD said:
Force Field is fucking DEADLY when you have 4+ sentries. Properly microed a set of force fields can cut off a significant part of your opponent's forces from the battle.

Can someone breakdown proper micro for this, I just fumble around and barely get two down. The pros are building fences and shit!

GOD DAMN IT BATTLE.NET. WHY COULDN'T YOU DELAY THE DOWNTIME BY A MINUTE. I WAS LITERALLY 3 SECONDS AWAY FROM WINNING. HIS SPAWNING POOL WAS ONE ZEALOT PUNCH AWAY FROM DYING.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
msv said:
Doesn't sound like something anyone that's serious about SC2 multiplayer would argue. Washing out the colors would only make it harder to discern units. It doesn't seem too vibrant to be in the SC universe as well, SC1's colors were more like the old footage.
i personally really like the art style and people that are serious about SC2 atmosphere and aesthetics probably feel the same. but to make things more dicernable you could always play with the graphics settings

Won

Decided to remove my vote against Incineration Zone and got to play 2 games on it......I just don't understand what Blizz was thinking there.....

Aesthet1c said:
I can't access battle.net at work, but I hope that's a joke post :(

I was thinkin we had until mid-late June to play

It's as real as roaches are 2 supply!

We’d like to let all of our StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta test participants know that the first phase of the beta test will be coming to an end in all regions on Monday, May 31. The beta test will be unavailable for several weeks while we make some hardware and software configuration changes in preparation for the final phase of the beta test and the release of the game. We plan to bring the beta test back online for a couple of weeks prior to the game’s launch to complete our testing. We’ll have more details to share about when this final beta-testing phase will begin at a later date.

We’d like to thank all of our beta-test participants for your enthusiasm, dedication, and valuable feedback during the beta test, and we look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the StarCraft II beta test as the game’s July 27 launch approaches.

Zertez

watervengeance said:
Terran mech is so strong. :(
I still cant beat it playing as Zerg. Broodlords are not available yet, and everything else just melts to the firepower. Only thing Ive found to beat it, is not let Terrans get a Mech army. Im looking for any suggestions from high level Zerg players on how they beat a Tech army mid game.

iamblades

joelseph said:
Can someone breakdown proper micro for this, I just fumble around and barely get two down. The pros are building fences and shit!
Use smart casting.

Basically you just select your sentries, hit the ff hotkey. Then hold shift and click where you want the fields, and boom you are done.

Its really easy once you get the hang of it. Smart casting can also be used with other spells like psi storm or yamato cannon.

Top Bottom