• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

FromTheFuture said:
Indeed. I apologize if I insulted any Copper players, I never intended to do so. What I meant is that those like ChronicleX who aren't willing to learn, play correctly, or play in a way that makes sense for that matter, belong in Copper. As far as I'm concerned, Copper is and should only be a quick pitstop if you want to become better at all.

This is ironic coming from an elitest tard who is not willing to learn and just sticks to their self proclaimed elitism, shunning everyone who thinks otherwise. "Oh so you are going to 10 pylon and not 9? THAT IS NOOB YOU MUST BE COPPA".

It is people like you that are a deterrent to playing the game because you take it too seriously, even when you are wrong. :lol

FromTheFuture said:
I'm getting lonely, I wasn't on for awhile and it seems no one wants to play with me anymore. Although it just might be me :lol

Trust me, its you. See above.

ChronicleX said:
This is ironic coming from an elitest tard who is not willing to learn and just sticks to their self proclaimed elitism, shunning everyone who thinks otherwise. "Oh so you are going to 10 pylon and not 9? THAT IS NOOB YOU MUST BE COPPA".

It is people like you that are a deterrent to playing the game because you take it too seriously, even when you are wrong. :lol
Do you even read anything in this thread or do you just start slamming your head on your keyboard and submit your reply? I'm starting to think it's the latter.

Your quote doesn't even make sense. I suggested a 10 Pylon to begin with. I haven't really said anything elitist either, you just seem to think that I'm stating my methods as the be-all-end-all. See, maybe if you said something that made any lick of sense, or was plausible in any way, I wouldn't "shun it." Everyone in this thread is just trying to show a stubborn idiot... just forget it.

Have fun with your no beta keys, overpowered Zerg and fake proxies. Tell me how Copper feels years from now when you've never moved up.

Milabrega

ChronicleX said:

Hmm, So elitist tard's with their own self proclaimed elitism use the "you must be coppa" as an insult, then well....

ChronicleX said:
Looks like you need to borrow the family braincell to get out of the copper league :lol

ChronicleX, you are an awful, awful poster. You had one meltdown over me posting beta keys in here, and now you are melting down in some nonsense argument with NA Gaf's undisputed best player who is simply trying to provide constructive advice to counter act your "fake proxy" nonsense. Grow up, get over yourself, or get the fuck out of this thread.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ChronicleX said:
"Oh so you are going to 10 pylon and not 9? THAT IS NOOB YOU MUST BE COPPA".

He said absolutely nothing like that and you know it. What you were suggesting was way more stupid than having a delayed pylon.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. That's what I love about SC2 GAF, we're like a family! :D

In the interest of everyone's time and energy though, it would probably be better to just drop this. It's like we're arguing against a four year old. I'll admit I probably took it further than necessary, but it was annoying the hell out of me :lol

Last thing I'll say is that I wrote a post on how one might deal with early ling cheese earlier, which you probably overlooked. Also, if you didn't know, a 10 Pylon actually leads directly into a 10 Gateway, so you're pulling off tech faster than playing a standard 8/9 Pylon, which works out best with a 12/13 Gateway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I go 10 pylon when I forget to make one at 9 :3

Halycon said:
I go 10 pylon when I forget to make one at 9 :3
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I actually go 10 Pylon very often (on purpose though, and once in awhile by accident). It's a solid opening build order that allows for you to pull up that quick Gateway for early defense or pressure. It also transitions into a slightly faster tech pattern without sacrificing too much economy, I find.

Tacitus_

LaneDS said:
Playing Starcraft 1 would benefit you more, but it is very, very ugly and you'll miss a lot of the features that SC2 adds in, from simple things like rally points straight to minerals to using shift to queue up commands. And the feel is different, so whatever benefits you'd get from SC1 are debatable certainly.

Nitpick, but you can shift-queue in BW. The action queue size is something like 10 though.

spazzfish

For the zerg players, when you have a chance to upgrade, as priority do you upgrade damage or carapace?
What tends to be the best upgrading trend?

Milabrega said:
Hmm, So elitist tard's with their own self proclaimed elitism use the "you must be coppa" as an insult, then well....

ChronicleX, you are an awful, awful poster. You had one meltdown over me posting beta keys in here
No that was the concept in general, not against you personally. It is people like you though who take everything personally even when it is not directed at them, because they just like to troll/flame everyone who has a difference of opinion. You should play HoN.

, and now you are melting down in some nonsense argument with NA Gaf's undisputed best player who is simply trying to provide constructive advice to counter act your "fake proxy" nonsense.

It is not nonsense. Secondly being the "undisputed best player" that no-one wants to play with proves my self proclaimed god argument.
Grow up, get over yourself, or get the fuck out of this thread.

You should take your own advice since you are the one loosing their cool and flaming randomly.

FromTheFuture said:
Do you even read anything in this thread or do you just start slamming your head on your keyboard and submit your reply? I'm starting to think it's the latter.

If you did read then you'd know that no-one likes a smartass, especially when they are not even being smart.

Your quote doesn't even make sense. I suggested a 10 Pylon to begin with. I haven't really said anything elitist either, you just seem to think that I'm stating my methods as the be-all-end-all. See, maybe if you said something that made any lick of sense, or was plausible in any way, I wouldn't "shun it." Everyone in this thread is just trying to show a stubborn idiot... just forget it.

It was an example of a difference of opinion. Just because someone goes 10 pylon over 9 does not make them an automatic noob, its a viable alternative as are mind games. Fake Proxy is a viable mindgame especially at the lower levels that can help you survive in a game long enough to get better at it until you learn how to defend against a rush via the most effective methods. Babies dont walk out the womb you know. Why not instead of being an absolute prick try and help people? I have yet to see you contribute anything outside of a flame.

Have fun with your no beta keys, overpowered Zerg and fake proxies. Tell me how Copper feels years from now when you've never moved up.

1 - Is that all your argument is reduced to now? Pathetic.
2 - You fail at sarcasm detection
3 - I could easily get promoted to plat from Gold within the next hour if I wanted to. However I refuse to move up until I can micro/macro at a satisfactory level (playing DotA for the last few years has fucked it up.).

Dear god, the "no one plays with me" was a joke. You're reaching unbelievable territory here.

If you had any idea, I try to help everyone to the best of my ability. I actually love helping others, moreso than playing myself. I love going out of my way to teach others, and learn from them in the process. Obviously, it's difficult when people like you just don't accept a damn word anyone else says.

Haly

No that was the concept in general, not against you personally. It is people like you though who take everything personally even when it is not directed at them, because they just like to troll/flame everyone who has a difference of opinion. You should play HoN.
Currently, the biggest troll in SC2 GAF is. SHOCK. You.

It is not nonsense. Secondly being the "undisputed best player" that no-one wants to play with proves my self proclaimed god argument.
Alumnus is lonely because SC2 gaf is dead, not because no one wants to play him.

You should take your own advice since you are the one loosing their cool and flaming randomly.
Hardly random when you've been shitting up this thread with your idiotic posts since Mila posted that key.

If you did read then you'd know that no-one likes a smartass, especially when they are not even being smart.
I'd say "pot kettle black" but that would be insulting to Alumnus.

I have yet to see you contribute anything outside of a flame.
Probably because the thread's petered out since the beginning of the tournament. Trust me, Alumnus has contributed a lot more than you have.

NIN90

Jeez ChronicleX/Invader, I guess you are quite the blast at parties.

Halycon said:
Alumnus is lonely because SC2 gaf is dead, not because no one wants to play him.

EU SC2 GAF is thriving. <3
EU > US confirmed once again!

FromTheFuture said:
If you had any idea, I try to help everyone to the best of my ability. I actually love helping others, moreso than playing myself. I love going out of my way to teach others, and learn from them in the process. Obviously, it's difficult when people like you just don't accept a damn word anyone else says.

Then do that instead of bitching at me because so far all you have done is bitch. See below

Zen said:
If you don't like his advice there are much better ways to say it than to act like brats. Just chill, guys.

ChronicleX said:
Then do that instead of bitching at me because so far all you have done is bitch. See below
Key to that sentence: "bitching at you"

Yep. I've only bitched to you. It's true. I've been nice in every post I've made that isn't directed towards you. You, however, have started a bitching fest the very second you came in ready to derail the thread with your "you should be doing THIS with your beta keys!" nonsense. It's only gotten worse from there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm convinced ChronicleX is a troll, joke-poster or is just plain dumb. Gotta love his use of straw men and how apparently in his world, "everyone" = ChronicleX.

I find it really hard to believe that you are at the top of your league in Gold if you are using fake proxy pylons to combat Zerg. Also, didn't you say you went from Bronze to the top of Gold in 2 days? How many hours / matches did that take you?

I'd seriously like to see some of your replays or even just find out what your Bnet name is.

LaneDS

Tacitus_ said:
Nitpick, but you can shift-queue in BW. The action queue size is something like 10 though.

Could you do this in vanilla SC? I fired up the single player campaign a few months ago after starting on the SC2 beta and could have sworn it wasn't there. But either way, good to know. Might try some BW matches in the month or so we can't play SC2 (sigh).

FromTheFuture said:
Key to that sentence: "bitching at you"

Yep. I've only bitched to you. It's true. I've been nice in every post I've made that isn't directed towards you. You, however, have started a bitching fest the very second you came in ready to derail the thread with your "you should be doing THIS with your beta keys!" nonsense. It's only gotten worse from there.

So what is your excuse for bitching at me for handing out advice to people who ask for it? Oh right none, you just wanted to bitch at me for the sake of bitching at me it seems m'rite? I am pretty sure that is the definition of a Troll.

It has only gotten worse because of you making it worse.
Zen said:
If you don't like his advice there are much better ways to say it than to act like brats. Just chill, guys.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LaneDS said:
Could you do this in vanilla SC? I fired up the single player campaign a few months ago after starting on the SC2 beta and could have sworn it wasn't there. But either way, good to know. Might try some BW matches in the month or so we can't play SC2 (sigh).

It works in Vanilla SC, but there is no visual confirmation that it is actually working.

LaneDS said:
It works, but its implementation is very poor. Honestly, it's pretty much useless for anything purposeful.

ZealousD

ChronicleX said:
It is people like you though who take everything personally even when it is not directed at them, because they just like to troll/flame everyone who has a difference of opinion. You should play HoN.

nx3x3c.gif

V_Arnold

Chronciles, I am just a copper-league bastard, BUT you are unlucky as I have been studying all kinds of mind games regarding to strategy and tactics for quite a few years.

And the most important thing here, the actual point maybe, is that one will NEVER give something as "fake xy build then do something else" as a tip to a newcomer or someone who struggles with early rushes.

Whenever you feel a problem, you have to break it down, analyze, and find a true solution. And I can tell you that without actually looking up: no tactic in a serious competitive game is easily and repeatedly repelled by faking something. Every build, everything you do can have a more solid, and more "true" defense or counter.

Therefore, arguing with others about a mind game vs having just a solid, well-thought build is pointless. Once you have mastered the builds themselves, only then can you fake it out, and any mind game like that requires you to be in the exact same thinking level as your opponent. Just like in Street Fighter: do not try to bait too much from a beginner, and do not ever think for a moment that a competent opponent of yours does not think one step ahead of you or just cant keep up.

So before you try to give everyone a lesson about mind games, make sure that the game itself has been mastered to the level of these fakes actually, consistently work.. and they dont. Period.

V_Arnold said:
So before you try to give everyone a lesson about mind games, make sure that the game itself has been mastered to the level of these fakes actually, consistently work.. and they dont. Period.

That is why I gave such advice in the first place, for it to be used until you can learn something that consistently works at any level. At the lower levels simple mindgames like that work rather well due to the level of the opposing player. That is not to say that mindgames are only to be used on nubs though, just ones that obvious (shit like faking roachs/morts/mech, Air, etc).

I was giving out trick for a nub to fool nubs with so they will not get rushed and my thanks is flame because such tricks will not work on everyone.

This thread is so hilarious.

Pretty much everyone knows your Fake Proxy strategy is utterly ridiculous. Go post it on TeamLiquid; I would LOVE to see you getting mocked by some of the best players. If your strategy is so original and outside the box, then post a replay so people can pick it apart.

Any strategy that only works on lower levels is inherently bad. Why use such a strategy when a perfectly sound one is available - one that works on all levels of play.

In other news: What on earth is HoN?

I... hmm.... what's going on in here?! What is this fake proxy talk?

EDIT: No really... what is this fake proxy talk!? Words can't describe how this shit take place. I need replays/videos now! :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this thread has become embarrassing. it was so cool before.

everyone really should stop trying to flop their dicks on the table, it fucking stinks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
That is why I gave such advice in the first place, for it to be used until you can learn something that consistently works at any level. At the lower levels simple mindgames like that work rather well due to the level of the opposing player. That is not to say that mindgames are only to be used on nubs though, just ones that obvious (shit like faking roachs/morts/mech, Air, etc).

I was giving out trick for a nub to fool nubs with so they will not get rushed and my thanks is flame because such tricks will not work on everyone.

A real newbie wouldn't know what to think if they saw nothing in their opponent's base since they most likely wouldn't have any concept of a Proxy Gateway -> Zealot rush strategy. They would probably just think they got lucky and found someone who is really new to the game or is just very slow.

watervengeance said:
Pretty much everyone knows your Fake Proxy strategy is utterly ridiculous.

If you had any reading ability you would of read that I saw it on some tournament shoutcast, pretty sure it was HDSC. Sorry to disappoint you.

Zefah said:
A real newbie wouldn't know what to think if they saw nothing in their opponent's base since they most likely wouldn't have any concept of a Proxy Gateway -> Zealot rush strategy. They would probably just think they got lucky and found someone who is really new to the game or is just very slow.

Then vs that newbie there is no danger to being rushed now is there? Problem is 90% of the players in the lower leagues rush and fear being rushed. Fooling them into defending against something you are not yet capable of due to them being as bad as you are is viable until you are confident to play the game. IF you are new and get rushed/dead within the space of 2/3 min because you do not have the skill/ability to defend against it, how are you meant to even learn?

shagg_187 said:
I... hmm.... what's going on in here?! What is this fake proxy talk?

EDIT: No really... what is this fake proxy talk! Words can't describe how this shit take place. I need replays/videos now! :lol :lol

I threw the idea out there that nubs are easy to fool, so you can stop a rush vs alot of them by building at the side of your base/expansion until you can learn to defend against one. This apparently makes me Satan.

Zertez

spazzfish said:
For the zerg players, when you have a chance to upgrade, as priority do you upgrade damage or carapace?
What tends to be the best upgrading trend?
I let the build and my opponents build dictate which upgrade I go for first. If Im going Hydras I tend to get the carapace first, but if Im using more of a Roach build I will get the damage upgrade.With a heavy Hydra build, get the range upgrade before you get either. When you are able to scout take a look at the units your opponent is building and then decide which will give your army a better chance at winning. If your scouting is kind of weak, I would probably lean to the upgrade that covers up the units weakness first.

Zen

Banned
coamithra said:
Is it me or is static defense hilariously underpowered in SC2?

As Terran:
I've found turrets to be pretty beefy (I guess that's why they're 100min). Get the +2 armor upgrade as well.

In fact the static defense seems little bit spongier to me in SC2, as in they have more HP or something?

ChronicleX said:
I threw the idea out there that nubs are easy to fool, so you can stop a rush vs alot of them by building at the side of your base/expansion until you can learn to defend against one. This apparently makes me Satan.

UGH! I just wrote a 3 page paragraph on how I learned a few things playing starcraft and it's that the game is not about harassment, it's about successful harassment but my FUCKING INTERNET CRAPPED ON ME!

All in all, if you're teaching someone to fake proxy, why not teach them to proxy? I mean if you're teaching tips to someone in copper league, chances are that his APM is very very low and by the time he realizes that he spend his entire time faking a proxy, the other side will have shitstorm waiting for him.

ChronicleX said:
Why not instead of being an absolute prick try and help people? I have yet to see you contribute anything outside of a flame.

He's far from a prick...seriously this is getting ridiculous. You are ignoring any sensible posts in this thread so you shouldn't be surprised it has come to everyone acting up like this. You made your suggestion and everyone (including FromTheFuture, who is a far better player than you) pointed out why it wasn't good advice. You insisted that it's good advice and demanded someone provide better advice. FromTheFuture did JUST THAT:

FromTheFuture said:
As any race, you should fear early Zergling cheese mostly on 2 player maps, as your opponent knows where you are, and possibly, but less likely, on 3-4 player maps if your opponent does an early drone scout or has scouted you quickly with his first Overlord (or if you're in Copper, which I'm assuming ChronicleX would be located in). Regardless of what you think your opponent might be doing, you should be scouting for this kind of stuff anyway!

As Protoss against a Zerg, it's generally a good idea to create a choke at the top of your ramp that is spaced 1 hex (block, square, whatever you want to call it). This can be done by simply placing your first Pylon and Gateway at the top of your ramp, and creating that 1 hex hole. This hole can be plugged easily with 1 Zealot, which negates a large amount of Zerglings, since your Zealot will be facing 1 Zergling at a time.

As Protoss on 2 player maps where the opponent knows where you are, they can easily pull off Zergling cheese. The best way to get your Zealot out quickly is to get a quick 10 Gateway. A build that I personally like to use that doesn't sacrifice economy or endanger you in the long run (fake proxies, lol) is a 10 Pylon, 10 Gateway. You should then always be Chronoboosting your first Zealot immediately after the Gateway finishes, and plug that 1 hex hole with hold position. Keep producing Zealots to block your choke as needed, while you safely tech up in the background. Easy. A quick great thing I'll mention about this build is that if the opponent opts for a fast expand instead, you can continue to Chronoboost Zealots and harass your opponent, deal damage and make them pay for doing so (but that's not exactly here nor there). On 4 player maps, you will be a lot safer due to positioning and scouting patterns of the Zerg player. Most of the time, you'll be able to just get away with your standard 12-13 Gateway timings.

As Terran against a Zerg (or any race, really), you'll often find a wall at the top of your ramp. This is self explanatory. If a Zerg ever does some Zergling cheese, you should have your wall up already, or if not, you should be able to plug the space for your 2nd depot with some SCVs (which, even though they have been nerfed, still pack a punch) and have Marines producing behind to pick off the lings. If you didn't wall off, micro of SCVs and marines is key. If you did wall off, you're in the gold. Use marines to pick off the Zerglings as they pound away helplessly at your building wall, and send a couple of SCVs to repair your buildings.

The problem with everything you're mentioning is you're essentially fighting cheese with cheese. Why? Instead, play solidly, safely, and calmly. If you see above, it doesn't take much to hold off some silly cheese. Why try to trick your opponent? It's as simple as building your Gateway earlier (which can also provide benefits with few detriments). Keeping your composure is also a stronger option (utilizing workers, etc).

Any Zerg worth anything will run right past your 'fake proxy' and into your mineral line to cripple your economy. You're essentially giving them a free pass. If they're paranoid to hold back because you might have proxied them, they're an even bigger idiot than you are (which would be incredible in and of itself)! And even if you did proxy, do you really think your handful of Zealots can kill off a Zerg Queen, Drones and any other spawning Zerglings before he destroys your economy?

There's just so much wrong with everything you're spewing in this thread, and I wish you would stop.

Edit. I even forgot to mention that you'll be incredibly far ahead of your opponent if you successfully defend against their Zergling cheese!

...and you of course ignored that and everyone else's logical counter-arguments and have now claimed that he refuses to contribute anything outside of a flame. The main point everyone is making is that this "fake proxy" you speak of is unreliable at best, at all levels of play. It relies on assumptions, and it can only hurt a noob's game in the long run by having them waste time with this instead of learning a solid, consistent, tried and true method of defense against a rush. You should stop taking it so personally when we tell you that your advice wasn't as good as you thought it was, and instead realize that we are all here to help each other out and point people in the right direction with how to play this game. If someone posts advice like what you have, we will make damn sure that they are aware that they shouldn't do that.

Won

Just had a wonderful game, in which my first reaper found an empty Protoss base. Was already thinking..."Fake Proxy? NO WAI!".

I just built more Reapers and just attacked his Probes. Turned out to be a cannon rush. Easy win.

ZealousD

coamithra said:
Is it me or is static defense hilariously underpowered in SC2?

You don't want to spam static def. Just plop a couple around key areas. They're not a replacement for an army, they're a supplement.

Ashhong

Johnlenham said:
I played the marine dudes this time, thought I was super sneaky building a second base by the rich minerals, made 3 Massive mechs and 5 tanks "secretly" then a bunch of units from War of the Worlds came over and fucked me up in no time and wiped me out :lol

Wheres my Mammoth tanks!? :lol

:lol :lol your unit nicknames are hilarious

Haly

Won said:
Just had a wonderful game, in which my first reaper found an empty Protoss base. Was already thinking..."Fake Proxy? NO WAI!".

I just built more Reapers and just attacked his Probes. Turned out to be a cannon rush. Easy win.
Somewhere out there, ChronicleX is making a QQ post about reapers.

Yes I'm aware Won is in EU

shagg_187 said:
UGH! I just wrote a 3 page paragraph on how I learned a few things playing starcraft and it's that the game is not about harassment, it's about successful harassment but my FUCKING INTERNET CRAPPED ON ME!

All in all, if you're teaching someone to fake proxy, why not teach them to proxy? I mean if you're teaching tips to someone in copper league, chances are that his APM is very very low and by the time he realizes that he spend his entire time faking a proxy, the other side will have shitstorm waiting for him.

The whole idea is to get them to not rush you when you are at a stage in learning where you are not capable of defending against it. Its the equivalent of shouting "Look out behend you! A ThreeHeaded Monkey!".

Top Bottom