• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ashhong said:
uh...about the fact that you actually believed that they would suddenly remove the entire Cybernetics Core? yea, i was pretty amused, i will admit

I did not believe that part, that is why I asked for a link. If I believed it then the post would of been something along the lines of "yay epic protoss buff <3". However I find such gullibility amusing :lol

Zertez

Rez said:
I actually dreamt about this game last night.

And not just a random dream either, I dreamt that Blizzard were removing the cybernetics core and putting the warp gate upgrade on the nexus.

I never dream about games. The hell is wrong with me?
You arent the only one dreaming about SC2 :lol I dreamt a funny build last night and used it before I went to work this morning. I was listening to a commentator earlier, he has talking about dreaming of builds as well :lol

raphier

Banned
Zertez said:
You arent the only one dreaming about SC2 :lol I dreamt a funny build last night and used it before I went to work this morning. I was listening to a commentator earlier, he has talking about dreaming of builds as well :lol
I had a dream tonight that blizzard invited me to scan my face for a SC2 character called "Kurko Duct" :lol

V_Arnold

I do not exactly remember if I dreamed about it or not, but yes, it has been WITH ME at nights, that I am sure of.

Like when you are half-asleep, and realize the past minutes have been about you trying to find a strategy against xyz with your race.

Not that I dislike that, this is the first game after playing GO like an addict which caused me this :D And it is a good topic while I am running a few miles.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Make 10 drones. Make a spawning pool. Make overlord.
Send lings to attack. Make queen, make drones, vomit on hatchery with queen, more lings Get gas.

-> Make roaches -> Make roaches -> Make roaches -> Lair -> Make hydras
-> Tech to Lair -> Mutalisks and banelings
-> Expand -> Queen -> Vomit -> Vomit -> Lair -> Overlord vomiting -> Go to step 1

Aesthet1c

Omg some days I hate this game so bad.

Like 2 days ago I was rank 2 in my league
(bronze, lol)
. I was 3 points away from hitting rank 1, so I hopped on and played a match against Terran, lost to MMM ball. That put me like 14 points away from rank 1, so if I won against a slightly favored opponent, then I still would have hit rank 1, but I lost again to MMM ball. Now I'm rank 4 :(

Then last night I did some 2v2 with my brother. First match we nydus networked into their base and took out one of the guys mains, but the other guy had too many photon cannons to overtake him, so we backed off and wait to mass more units. Well an hour later, they ended up coming back and winning the game. So we did another 2v2 (ZZvZP), we both 10 pooled and took out the protoss player very early in the game, and the zerg player beat both of us with lings and muta's.

So after all that, I decided I was going to do one more 1v1 for the night, maybe try to make it back to rank 3 or so. I played a protoss player who opened up with "Hi I'm new, I just got the beta today". Awesome, I thought I had the match in the bag, then he hit me with a zealot rush and I didn't have enough to defend it and lost.

I don't know what the deal is, I was doing really well, and now I'm on a 5 loss streak. Part of me just wants to ditch zerg all together and go with terran.. but I've been a zerg player since 1998, I feel like I would be betraying my family or something if I did that.

OK. I have come to realize that I am tired of Marine Rush. It works 75% of the time and that 25% of the time when it doesn't, you cannot come with a backup plan.

So... I want to change the way I play with Terran. Is it just me or Engineering Bay upgrades are a waste of space?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Aesthet1c said:
Omg some days I hate this game so bad.

Like 2 days ago I was rank 2 in my league
(bronze, lol)
. I was 3 points away from hitting rank 1, so I hopped on and played a match against Terran, lost to MMM ball. That put me like 14 points away from rank 1, so if I won against a slightly favored opponent, then I still would have hit rank 1, but I lost again to MMM ball. Now I'm rank 4 :(

Then last night I did some 2v2 with my brother. First match we nydus networked into their base and took out one of the guys mains, but the other guy had too many photon cannons to overtake him, so we backed off and wait to mass more units. Well an hour later, they ended up coming back and winning the game. So we did another 2v2 (ZZvZP), we both 10 pooled and took out the protoss player very early in the game, and the zerg player beat both of us with lings and muta's.

So after all that, I decided I was going to do one more 1v1 for the night, maybe try to make it back to rank 3 or so. I played a protoss player who opened up with "Hi I'm new, I just got the beta today". Awesome, I thought I had the match in the bag, then he hit me with a zealot rush and I didn't have enough to defend it and lost.

I don't know what the deal is, I was doing really well, and now I'm on a 5 loss streak. Part of me just wants to ditch zerg all together and go with terran.. but I've been a zerg player since 1998, I feel like I would be betraying my family or something if I did that.

Yeah I know that feeling, sometimes I just go on a losing streak and feel like I'm the worst player on the planet.

Just keep going, you'll start winning again and forget about all those stupid losses.

Cheeto

shagg_187 said:
OK. I have come to realize that I am tired of Marine Rush. It works 75% of the time and that 25% of the time when it doesn't, you cannot come with a backup plan.

So... I want to change the way I play with Terran. Is it just me or Engineering Bay upgrades are a waste of space?
upgrades are never a waste of space

shagg_187 said:
I hardly see any change with and without any upgrade...
Oh well, maybe it's me!
Do you mean the +x to attack/defense for your ground units/air units/vehicles? If yes, then yes, they are very useful. Against an army about equal to the size of yours it can make the difference, especially when you're not great at micro (like me).

Hawkie

Email from GAME today:

As you may already be aware, the UK release date for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty has changed to 30-Jul-2010. Changes to release dates are relatively common in the videogames industry and are unfortunately beyond our control.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LTTP but... Fake proxy?! Oh man, that's rich...

Why would any Zerg player retreat after finding his opponent's base and mineral line completely undefended? If anything he would quickly obliterate all the workers in his opponent's base and then high-tail it back to his own base to deal with whatever 'possible' threat his opponent may have coming his way.

Cheeto

Zefah said:

Why would any Zerg player retreat after finding his opponent's base and mineral line completely undefended? If anything he would quickly obliterate all the workers in his opponent's base and then high-tail it back to his own base to deal with whatever 'possible' threat his opponent may have coming his way.
Lings fall fast to workers if you let them get surrounded though

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cheeto said:
Lings fall fast to workers if you let them get surrounded though

Micro the lings? Don't just send them in to attack, keep hitting the workers and backing off if your opponent orders his workers to fight back. Lings are much faster and escape any worker attack without taking too much damage. Either way you will prevent your opponent from mining and most likely kill most if not all of his workers if you micro properly. You will also force your opponent to pay attention to microing his workers.

Confused101 said:
Not all copper players are created equally. :D
Indeed. I apologize if I insulted any Copper players, I never intended to do so. What I meant is that those like ChronicleX who aren't willing to learn, play correctly, or play in a way that makes sense for that matter, belong in Copper. As far as I'm concerned, Copper is and should only be a quick pitstop if you want to become better at all.

Cheeto

Zefah said:
Micro the lings? Don't just send them in to attack, keep hitting the workers and backing off if your opponent orders his workers to fight back. Lings are much faster and escape any worker attack without taking too much damage. Either way you will prevent your opponent from mining and most likely kill most if not all of his workers if you micro properly. You will also force your opponent to pay attention to microing his workers.
Easier said then done, you'd need to attack workers on gas to leave yourself an escape and they get free asylum inside the extractors so it's not the most time effective harass... If your lings focus a worker in the mineral line, a single attack move from the workers when the focused worker is near the CC usually means an insanely fast surround on the lings... and once the workers are focusing the lings they can't move

ChronicleX said:
Looks like you need to borrow the family braincell to get out of the copper league :lol

Lol, dude you're talking to the player who won the NA GAF beta tournament. Show some respect.

And your fake proxy idea makes no sense at all. Do you think when
competent
players scout your base with their worker they just take a peak on top of your ramp and then return to base? I (and anyone who knows anything about scouting) circle the entire base with my worker to make sure I don't miss a thing. If I understand your "fake proxy" idea correctly, you're assuming that by stashing your first pylon to the side of your base that I would not see your Pylon and assume you are proxying, and therefor I would start scouring the map for your proxy? This simply isn't the case. I would do my normal routine of continuing to scout your base until I inevitably find your Pylon 10 seconds after I normally would have had you just started working on narrowing your choke, which is a much safer thing to do to defend against a rush.

Zefah said:

late also, the fake proxy concept is hilariously preposterous.

Zzoram

shagg_187 said:

Something that either wins you the game or has no good follow up can be called cheesy all-in-ish. Maybe play less cheesy?

I actually have a new strategy called the double secret fake proxy proxy in which I don't build anything just to psyche out and confuse the other player, not even a worker.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cheeto said:
Easier said then done, you'd need to attack workers on gas to leave yourself an escape and they get free asylum inside the extractors so it's not the most time effective harass... If your lings focus a worker in the mineral line, a single attack move from the workers when the focused worker is near the CC usually means an insanely fast surround on the lings... and once the workers are focusing the lings they can't move

Wait, gas? If your opponent is mining gas when you show up with your first batch of zerglings then they have already lost.

Of course it is easier said than done, but you can say that about everything micro. Don't run your lings into the center of his mineral line. Start hitting the worker at either end of the mineral line so you can quickly retreat if he tries to chase you with all of his workers. Then run back and repeat as soon as he gives up chase and puts his workers back to mining.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
close to the edge said:
Do you mean the +x to attack/defense for your ground units/air units/vehicles? If yes, then yes, they are very useful. Against an army about equal to the size of yours it can make the difference, especially when you're not great at micro (like me).

Yesterday, somebody taught me the lesson that upgraded zerglings can easily kill a roach army that they would have had trouble with otherwise. They basically went for a fast evo. I was dumbfounded.

MrCompletely said:
I actually have a new strategy called the double secret fake proxy proxy in which I don't build anything just to psyche out and confuse the other player, not even a worker.

I have a secret proxy fake strategy too, where all I build in the game are Pylons all over the map and in my base. That way when the rush comes to my base they will see that I don't have any Gateway or anything, then start panicking because they will think I have my base built outside of their base or something, or at some secret location. Then they will go insane and surrender the game without me having to build a single unit.

Cheeto

Zefah said:
Wait, gas? If your opponent is mining gas when you show up with your first batch of zerglings then they have already lost.
Sounds like a pretty fast pool, I generally don't throw down a pool till 13-15 depending on map, and 10 at the earliest with the extractor trick.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shagg_187 said:

I've been having a tremendous amount of success with a siege tank + marine "rush". I get siege tanks as quickly as possible and make a push as soon as I have around 4 siege tanks and 12 marines or so. This obviously only works if your opponent is going for a ground army (which I usually find is the case for the early-game) and isn't massing siege tanks for defense himself. If you discover that your opponent is going for flying units then use a few siege tanks for defense and quickly build a Starport with a reactor to start massing Vikings.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
so how hard do you think it would be to go back to starcraft 1 after the beta. I think im gonna need some starcraft when the beta ends.:lol Or should i get warcraft 3 lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cheeto said:
Sounds like a pretty fast pool, I generally don't throw down a pool till 13-15 depending on map, and 10 at the earliest with the extractor trick.

Well a pool at 13-15 wouldn't much much of a "rush" which is what I thought we were talking about.

Cheeto

Zefah said:
Well a pool at 13-15 wouldn't much much of a "rush" which is what I thought we were talking about.
I have no idea what you were originally responding to, I just wanted to chime in with my opinion on using the first 6 lings for econ harass...

edit: long story short, I think they are more effective as scouts then any heavy harassment

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man I can't believe I slept through the ChronicleX bashing.

Fake proxy pylon :lol :lol :lol

FromTheFuture said:
Indeed. I apologize if I insulted any Copper players, I never intended to do so. What I meant is that those like ChronicleX who aren't willing to learn, play correctly, or play in a way that makes sense for that matter, belong in Copper. As far as I'm concerned, Copper is and should only be a quick pitstop if you want to become better at all.
No need for apologies here. I'm mid-ranked in gold. Also, I agree with you completely. I think copper is a great place to learn a lot. I'm sure it would be amazingly satisfying to work your way up from copper to gold or even plat.

FromTheFuture, who is your main? Or are you good with everybody?

LaneDS

Trin3785 said:
so how hard do you think it would be to go back to starcraft 1 after the beta. I think im gonna need some starcraft when the beta ends.:lol Or should i get warcraft 3 lol

Playing Starcraft 1 would benefit you more, but it is very, very ugly and you'll miss a lot of the features that SC2 adds in, from simple things like rally points straight to minerals to using shift to queue up commands. And the feel is different, so whatever benefits you'd get from SC1 are debatable certainly.

Confused101 said:
No need for apologies here. I'm mid-ranked in gold. Also, I agree with you completely. I think copper is a great place to learn a lot. I'm sure it would be amazingly satisfying to work your way up from copper to gold or even plat.

FromTheFuture, who is your main? Or are you good with everybody?
I currently play Protoss as my main for 1v1. I'm actually playing around and seeing whether that might change or not, but right now I personally think I am pretty good with each race. I can easily say that I am most comfortable with Protoss by far, though.

In 2v2, I'll play any race that helps make a good time (if my partner is Protoss, I'll gladly and comfortably play Terran or Zerg, rather than have 2 Protoss, etc).

Play with me some time if you're on the US server! My ID is Alumnus.mosaic. I'm getting lonely, I wasn't on for awhile and it seems no one wants to play with me anymore. Although it just might be me :lol

Sloegr

Trin3785 said:

I still play BW after getting the SC2 beta. It's still fun as it always has been to me. Hitting SC2 hotkeys will be a problem, though!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It did!

Also the new main screen UI is fucked as all hell but it's still fun :D

What was your name in the beta? Did I ever play you?

Halycon said:
It did!

Also the new main screen UI is fucked as all hell but it's still fun :D

What was your name in the beta? Did I ever play you?
My name was Alumnus in the HoN beta. I played a lot for a little while, a few weeks or so if i remember correctly. I'm pretty sure I saw you there quite a few times. I'll probably buy the game today or later this week and join you guys again.

Hazaro said:
Make 10 drones. Make a spawning pool. Make overlord.
Send lings to attack. Make queen, make drones, vomit on hatchery with queen, more lings Get gas.

-> Make roaches -> Make roaches -> Make roaches -> Lair -> Make hydras
-> Tech to Lair -> Mutalisks and banelings
-> Expand -> Queen -> Vomit -> Vomit -> Lair -> Overlord vomiting -> Go to step 1

ScannersExplodingHead.gif

I played the marine dudes this time, thought I was super sneaky building a second base by the rich minerals, made 3 Massive mechs and 5 tanks "secretly" then a bunch of units from War of the Worlds came over and fucked me up in no time and wiped me out :lol

Wheres my Mammoth tanks!? :lol

FromTheFuture said:
Play with me some time if you're on the US server! My ID is Alumnus.mosaic. I'm getting lonely, I wasn't on for awhile and it seems no one wants to play with me anymore. Although it just might be me :lol
I will and I am! I'll probably learn a lot from you. I'll add you tonight.

My ID: Jester.shell

I'm strictly Protoss though. And to be completely honest, my comfort level is very low with using the other two, haha.

Top Bottom