• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

WOW so uhhh... I may have missed it with this heated argument going on.. when they temporarily close the beta may 31st and reopen in July what does that generally mean? Do they do a gigantic overhaul to graphics/sound/etc. or is it just meant to polish the smaller things in the game?

Aesthet1c

Does any zerg players have any tips for using the queens heal? I have a hard time using it properly because I can't see the health bars unless I'm hovering my mouse over a unit, and the spell doesn't seem to work if you click on a selected unit in your bottom bar either. Is there like a hot key to show all your units health bars or something?

Jokey665

Aesthet1c said:
Does any zerg players have any tips for using the queens heal? I have a hard time using it properly because I can't see the health bars unless I'm hovering my mouse over a unit, and the spell doesn't seem to work if you click on a selected unit in your bottom bar either. Is there like a hot key to show all your units health bars or something?
Holding Alt shows health bars for all units, and you can change it so they're on permanently in the options.

watervengeance said:
You forgot to mention that this is a strategy to counter <10 pool.

No I did not. A <10 pool is a form of rush, if they do that and do not rush you then it has been countered since a <10 pool is waste if you do not rush with it.

shagg_187 said:
EDIT: The problem is that noobs are ones who are best at scouting since they are familiarizing themselves with the map?

Most noobs zergs just send their first overlord to the middle of the mineral line and never move it from that spot if they are <10 pooling.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aesthet1c said:
Holding down alt shows all health bars. You can also enable it in your gameplay options to show all health/shield/energy bars all the time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Halycon said:
You can also enable it in your gameplay options to show all health/shield/energy bars all the time.

Which is the way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Makes it so much easier to focus fire.

Ashhong

Chronicle, can you please post a replay where your fake proxy succeeded? A replay that somehow shows your opponent being fooled? I truly want to see it in action.

NIN90

I think I'm on a roll! Won 5 1v1 ladder matches in a row. Now 1508 points, slowly inching my way to first place in my copper division!

14pool
15hatch

MACRO MACRO MACRO!

Aesthet1c

Cool, thanks for the reply guys.

Ashhong said:
Chronicle, can you please post a replay where your fake proxy succeeded? A replay that somehow shows your opponent being fooled? I truly want to see it in action.

Also would be interested to see proof of a fake proxy succeeding.

Haly

ZealousD said:
Which is the way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Makes it so much easier to focus fire.
Some people don't like it as it makes it hard to distinguish one MMM blob from another.

At least you can see the ghosts by their energy but good luck clicking on them under those bars.

Colossi a-move ftw.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
djWHEAT will be streaming/hosting/casting GBFL (Getting Better Faster League) tourney games in 20 minutes.

The GBFL T1 was available to players in the Silver to Copper League only. This created a place for people, new to the game and new to the competitive scene, to get a chance to see whats its its like to play in a tournament and to make friends that are around their same skill level.

So over the weeks we have been able to watch the players in the tournament grow in skill and knowledge of the game, with proof of this as our 2 finalist have been prompted to Gold and Platnium Leagues.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=126018

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php?user=djWHEAT
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat

Ashhong said:

Because I have never used it, and such a trick would not work in the league I am now in. However I got the idea from a shoutcast of a tournament I saw within the last week, I forget the name of the players but it was a PvZ on Scrapnation. It worked but it did not do much due to the class of player it was used against.

Only type of fakeout I ever do is fake cannon rushing, where I just make pylon in open view in the opposing base and cancel it before it completes over and over should they send a bunch of workers to stop it.

Aesthet1c

ChronicleX said:
Because I have never used it, and such a trick would not work in the league I am now in. However I got the idea from a shoutcast of a tournament I saw within the last week, I forget the name of the players but it was a PvZ on Scrapnation. It worked but it did not do much due to the class of player it was used against.

Only type of fakeout I ever do is fake cannon rushing, where I just make pylon in open view in the opposing base and cancel it before it completes over and over should they send a bunch of workers to stop it.

If you never used it, and admit that it sucks.. then why have you been defending it for the last 3+ pages?

Haly

He thinks it would work against newbies.

Except, being newbies, they might not even suspect a proxy pylon. Or scout at all, then you're left with a giant hole in front of your ramp.

Halycon said:
He thinks it would work against newbies.

Except, being newbies, they might not even suspect a proxy pylon. Or scout at all, then you're left with a giant hole in front of your ramp.

Honestly, newbies (me) have harder time trying to figure out what the units do than worrying about a fake proxy.

Aesthet1c said:
If you never used it, and admit that it sucks.. then why have you been defending it for the last 3+ pages?

Because it did fool the zerg player it was used against to go from an offensive build into a defensive one, but it did not do much since the zerg mass expanded and just overwhelmed the Protoss with Hydra/ling combo. I am defending the concept since vs nubs if they cant do what they set out todo they panic and fuck up big time. I never said it sucks, I just said it is not as practical as everything else that you could do instead.

Halycon said:

And such holes get blocked with the next gateway/cybernetics/sentry/watever since you never got rushed. There is no point making a wall if you cannot handle units knocking at your door before it is finished.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Prototype-03 said:
Honestly, newbies (me) have harder time trying to figure out what the units do than worrying about a fake proxy.

I agree with this statement. If I would have seen what you guys were talking about, i wouldnt have even know what that person was trying to do or not do. Thus, why im asking questions and watching replays :D

Milabrega

Hazaro said:
djWHEAT will be streaming/hosting/casting GBFL (Getting Better Faster League) tourney games in 20 minutes.

So this is the finals of a tourney that started with Silver League players, who have each been promoted to Platinum and Gold respectively?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Milabrega said:
So this is the finals of a tourney that started with Silver League players, who have each been promoted to Platinum and Gold respectively?
Yes! The finals are starting right now. (PvP)

The GBFL T1 was available to players in the Silver to Copper League only. This created a place for people, new to the game and new to the competitive scene, to get a chance to see whats its its like to play in a tournament and to make friends that are around their same skill level.

So over the weeks we have been able to watch the players in the tournament grow in skill and knowledge of the game, with proof of this as our 2 finalist have been prompted to Gold and Platnium Leagues.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=126018

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/user...p?user=djWHEAT
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat

===========

Additionally Artosis has some opinions on the Patch 12 nerf in Korea. It has caused 2 of the top players to start practicing Terran. :lol
http://www.mymym.com/en/news/18583.html

Also SC2forall has some good videos as usual (Tasteless on Patch 12, interviews with Tester (The top P and possibly best SC II player in Korea)
http://www.scforall.com/sctv/sc_tv01.asp?mNum=s03&movNum=438

*Holy shit guys just fucking drop it. Stop acting like kids arguing over one thing. Stop replying. Christ.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Chronicle, your logic is self-defeating. If the person is nub enough to fail to see the building, they are also too stupid to not rush anyway. And now when those first 6 lings get there you're busy having a ramp that isn't blocked. We can try it, if you want. I'll 8 pool and you can build a gateway away from your choke, see how well you can defend it.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Procarbine said:
Chronicle, your logic is self-defeating. If the person is nub enough to fail to see the building, they are also too stupid to not rush anyway. And now when those first 6 lings get there you're busy having a ramp that isn't blocked. We can try it, if you want. I'll 8 pool and you can build a gateway away from your choke, see how well you can defend it.

well i wouldn't think it would work if you know what he is gonna do Procarbine. haha

Milabrega

The stream runner brings up some good points. Group replays would be great, as well as interface options to not show the clock prior to loading a replay.
and chat channels!

Procarbine said:
Chronicle, your logic is self-defeating. If the person is nub enough to fail to see the building, they are also too stupid to not rush anyway. And now when those first 6 lings get there you're busy having a ramp that isn't blocked.

You assume the worst. If anything they followed a rush BO and went with it, where if states "if you do not see XX do not attack." That stops a rush by making them not want todo it, having an incomplete wall will deter zerg from running inside as no wall at all. IF nothing is blocking the gap it does not matter how big/small it is.

Trin3785 said:
well i wouldn't think it would work if you know what he is gonna do Procarbine. haha

Exactly. Just like fast expand builds do not work if you are spotted trying to preform one, its the same thing.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
ChronicleX said:
You assume the worst. If anything they followed a rush BO and went with it, where if states "if you do not see XX do not attack." That stops a rush by making them not want todo it, having an incomplete wall will deter zerg from running inside as no wall at all. IF nothing is blocking the gap it does not matter how big/small it is.

When I see incomplete walls I practically drool. And to the poster before, it's to illustrate the point that should the attack happen anyway, you made a terrible decision.

The "fake proxy" is more or less an all-in gamble to defend a rush by an easy to see through, or ignore, mind game. BAD idea to give to new players. I'm now ignoring anything else on the subject.

Procarbine said:
The "fake proxy" is more or less an all-in gamble to defend a rush by an easy to see through, or ignore, mind game. BAD idea to give to new players. I'm now ignoring anything else on the subject.

And if walling does not work for you because your new and get rushed too fast / watever then it is worth attempting at least. If you do not die you live to hone your skills, even if you end up loosing regardless.

Haly

TURTLE TO DAT VOID RAY.

Edit: No void ray turtle makes me sad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:lol
Those pylons. Learn something new everyday.

I expected cannons at front and going to VR.

copper,bronze,silver,gold,plat

Haly

Yellow needed an observer like, yesterday.

AAAAAAAAAAAAH. Epic last stand.

Top Bottom