• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Wedge7

I know its beta, but perhaps its just because we've been relatively spoiled by how well the servers have been running in the past month or so, with relatively little lag, the past few days have been pretty damn frustrating. I suppose its just more annoying knowing that the beta is coming to a close in around a week, so it would suck if this general lag continues for much longer.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Yoshichan said:
I give up.
ocelot.gif

I wish I could play...guess Ill do some PS3 then :lol
So I guess people can have the same IDs now....fun fun

Aesthet1c

Corran Horn said:
So I guess people can have the same IDs now....fun fun

I really kinda hate the Real ID stuff... Is there a way not to publish my real name? I just wish it only showed people's handles. It doesn't bug me so much with my friends, but once I start adding people I've met online, I'd rather just know all them by their handle.

Deadly

Aesthet1c said:
I really kinda hate the Real ID stuff... Is there a way not to publish my real name? I just wish it only showed people's handles. It doesn't bug me so much with my friends, but once I start adding people I've met online, I'd rather just know all them by their handle.
It's been said that, they only allowed us to use Real ID because they want to test that and facebook integration. Considering that it's a beta, pretty smart move. There's only 1 week of playtime left anyways

Corran Horn

Aesthet1c said:
Im more worried that Im giving my email addy which logs into my account for SC2 and Bnet to tons of people :lol

Deadly

Ice Monkey said:
dont just post it just to be the first >:-[

dont log in expecting to be able to do it, i still havent been successful. try not to jump the gun guys.
I was able to join/create for awhile but not anymore :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3v3 and 4v4 aren't even on the list anymore. I hope this isn't going to be how the game is at launch... The downsides of taking everything onto Blizzard's servers are really starting to show...

in other news, my map has been ready for hours now, and i just successfully made sure the 7v7 worked. so everyone stand by for 7v7 gaf games

Corran Horn

Zefah said:
3v3 and 4v4 aren't even on the list anymore. I hope this isn't going to be how the game is at launch... The downsides of taking everything onto Blizzard's servers are really starting to show...
Lets hope alot of this stuff gets fixed seeing its a beta now. But I can totally see people not being able to play for the first few days. Release of a new game and platform at the same time :/

Zefah said:

this does suck as i dont expect them to come back. however, there was only one map in each matchmaking and the games always froze, and i just successfully launched a 7v7 so it doesnt matter much anyways.

It dropped me immediately after I got in and made sure all my 6 teammates were on the right side so it doesnt look ready yet still.

JoeMartin said:
What the hell is with the |OT| in all the thread titles these days?

Official Thread?
Yeah. I assume it's because people were finding official threads difficult to find. It's been an issue with some for awhile now.

But on topic, how come every time I actually have a chance to play, Blizzard is busy screwing everything up?

bahahahah....now when i try to create a game it says USER_CREATED_MAPS_NOT_ALLOWED.

why oh why must blizz try so hard not to include lan? we could hamachi and be done with this retardedness.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Actiblizz needs control! I have a creeping feeling this is all so they can monetize Battle.net in ridiculous ways. I try to keep faith, but I just have a bad, bad feeling.

Opiate

I had worked my way in to Platinum, then there was a wipe. Now I've worked my way back to Diamond, and I can't play.

This is the frustrating part of betas, but I find it philosophically difficult to complain.

Opiate said:
I had worked my way in to Platinum, then there was a wipe. Now I've worked my way back to Diamond, and I can't play.

This is the frustrating part of betas, but I find it philosophically difficult to complain.

its not difficult. blizzard had a really good thing going, lag wasnt bad, matchmaking worked fine, custom games too, then apparently completely rewrote the code and made it worse than it was at launch.

I know, they made a lot of changes, but theres no rational reason why this much should be broken. Now they are removing 3v3, 4v4 and user created maps and it just reeks of strangeness.

Deadly

I was exploring the menus since the servers are down but wtf is up with the Create Game menu? You can't even choose things in your folder or whatsoever. It's only Blizzard, Recently, Most Popular, My Published. So what the hell happens when it's none of those?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just had a smooth game! It was a fun 1v1 too. I was Terran my opponent was Protoss. He brought a Probe into my base early and started to build up cannons, slowly working towards my mineral line. Rather than try and fight his cannons off, I simply lifted up my Command Center and flew to my natural with all of my SCVs rendering all of his hard spent minerals wasted. I then took the marines that I had massed to that point and roamed right into his base, wasted his Forge and killed all his Probes. The bastard didn't even GG me.

Deadly said:
I was exploring the menus since the servers are down but wtf is up with the Create Game menu? You can't even choose things in your folder or whatsoever. It's only Blizzard, Recently, Most Popular, My Published. So what the hell happens when it's none of those?

umm, you mean like a non-popular other person's published map? you search for it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm so close to crying... I'm not kidding when I said I'm about to give up, because really... things are getting way out of hand right now. I've never, ever lost so many times with my 2v2 partner. We are getting worse and worse and now it's gotten to the point where we can't possibly win anymore. And we're doing EVERYTHING. We're disconnecting from b.net, discussing everything, watching replays constantly and discussing that too.

Then we try a game. And lose, brutally. We are really trying our best but I'm sorry, it's not working. Our best "periods" were when we first got to copper before this patch. 3:1 wins:lose, ahh good times.

I'm this close to start crying. I can't handle this shit anymore.

Yoshichan said:
I'm so close to crying... I'm not kidding when I said I'm about to give up, because really... things are getting way out of hand right now. I've never, ever lost so many times with my 2v2 partner. We are getting worse and worse and now it's gotten to the point where we can't possibly win anymore. And we're doing EVERYTHING. We're disconnecting from b.net, discussing everything, watching replays constantly and discussing that too.

Then we try a game. And lose, brutally. We are really trying our best but I'm sorry, it's not working. Our best "periods" were when we first got to copper before this patch. 3:1 wins:lose, ahh good times.

calm down broski. you're playing at the inhumanly worst time to be playing. the only people playing right now are the diehard hardcores. the server problems are so damn bad that most casual players have long gone by now. you're basically playing against a LOT MORE people who probably play this game as a job or want to.

Yoshichan said:

Dude. Relax. I know it's difficult to do so when you're losing and stuff. But seriously. Your situation is getting out of hand? You're getting out of hand.

All players have their good and bad days, off and on days. If you truly are getting worse, there must be a reason. Think about what you're doing wrong and fix them. It's also important to see what you're doing right, and keep doing it. When you begin to cram games just for the sake of grasping at that one win, you've stopped learning. You actually play much worse when that begins to happen. Sometimes you just need to take a step back. Quit being so desperate for wins, actually learn a little something from your losses, and it will pull you back up. You won't need to be desperate for wins at that point.

There's a big difference between knowing what you're doing wrong and actually fixing them. I've seen it a thousand times. People easily know what they could fix, know what is going wrong, yet I watch them time and time again make the exact same mistakes. Sometimes, they don't know the correct way to fix it. I, and many others in this thread, would be more than happy to help. But this is only if you are willing to learn. The key is just don't give up. Seriously. If you've gone to the brink of quitting and keep turning back, there's a reason. You know you don't want to quit. So don't. Improve instead.

I'm not going to get into the "it's just a game" argument either. I know exactly how you feel. But seriously, it's nothing to be so distraught about.

you know i'm not all that great and I hadn't realized just how good my apm is until alum crashed on 4v4s last night and I was controlling both bases at once and it didnt even really phase me and i randomly noticed a crazy massive amount of clicking and hotkeys all at once.

It's kinda funny because otherwise, when im just controlling one base, i think i have insanely terrible apm.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
funny thing about apm. mine usually tops out around 40~ most of the time but looking at my replays i still beat a lot of the 100~ apm folks

Yoshichan

Thanks guys, I'll try go to bed now... see how things are tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
-COOLIO- said:
funny thing about apm. mine usually tops out around 40~ most of the time but looking at my replays i still beat a lot of the 100~ apm folks

Well obviously accuracy > speed every time. If you don't have any wasted clicks and you are still building everything with the correct timing you will have much lower APM than the guy who spams mouse clicks and constantly regroups his units.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
efficiency and accuracy beats sloppy speed everytime. apm is something you should raise overtime, clickspamming wont get you anywhere if you cant do anything distinguishable with it once you've warmed up.

I'm packing a low 40 APM. :(

Yoshichan said:

Dude...

Don't play 2v2. 2v2 is much harder than 1v1 in my opinion.

You should find yourself a personal coach on Team Liquid or something.

Yoshichan said:

Seriously?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I find that I'm playing worse and worse too. Just can't get my head around early-game harassing. Part of me doesn't want to learn that. I don't want to potentially win in the first ten minutes against a fellow Copper who doesn't understand it fully wither, how boring. But at the same time, I need the skill for when I start versing higher tier players.

remz

Rez said:
I find that I'm playing worse and worse too. Just can't get my head around early-game harassing. Part of me doesn't want to learn that. I don't want to potentially win in the first ten minutes against a fellow Copper who doesn't understand it fully wither, how boring. But at the same time, I need the skill for when I start versing higher tier players.
be totally brutal to everyone you play against, you never know when the friendly ish dude you're up against that you think you're going to roll over will actually be a total bastard.

Early game harassing? Send out an early scouting probe to attack the enemy's SCVs when they're building something. Sometimes you kill the SCV if your opponent isn't paying attention at all, but most of the time they're forced to bring out another SCV to repair or chase away your probe. Very good way of screwing up their build order. :D

If you're good, you can use send a warp prism with two immortals into your opponent's base. It works occasionally, and you can snipe stray supply depots extremely fast.

The only thing I never do is rush the opponent. I'm such a passive player when it comes to attacking. I always find myself afraid that I'll lose the first battle and be very behind on units. :(

(Note: mostly applies to Terran. I don't have much trouble with Zerg for the most part)

Top Bottom