• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Jokey665

Hazaro said:
So you had gas? You couldn't of attacked his probe line or teched to tanks?

You can always lift off as Terran also you know. Just move and all his cannons are useless.
I did send reapers into his mineral line, which had cannons defending it unsurprisingly...

I did get a factory up towards the end but some of my shit was dying and I just kind of ragequit. I realized I should have just up and moved my base afterwards...

Also, "couldn't have"

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jokey665 said:
I did send reapers into his mineral line, which had cannons defending it unsurprisingly...

I did get a factory up towards the end but some of my shit was dying and I just kind of ragequit. I realized I should have just up and moved my base afterwards...

Also, "couldn't have"
Agh. I've been avoiding 'of' and been careful about that the past few months.

Do you harass with the starting reaper or do you save up 2-4 then attack?

I find it surprising that he could have defended his entire mineral line and rushed you at the same time if you went for fast reaper. Usually a pylon or space in the mineral line is open.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Was watching a stream when for the 4th time he froze and decided, rather than quitting to unlseah this masterpiece

swfgjd.png

Neckbeard

Jokey665 said:
Cannon rushing is the dumbest thing ever. It's the only rush I somehow cannot deal with. I even went super fucking fast reapers (before I even knew he was cannon rushing) and couldn't do anything about it.

Scout, scout, scout!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I am really bad at this game, it seems even in bronze, I am like... scraping the bottom of the barrel. I win 2 out of 10 matches on average =/. Why do I suck so much at RTS?!

Neckbeard

Kinitari said:
I am really bad at this game, it seems even in bronze, I am like... scraping the bottom of the barrel. I win 2 out of 10 matches on average =/. Why do I suck so much at RTS?!

One thing that really helped me is watching commentaries of pro/high-level play. I learned a ton, especially from Day[9]. You can find his channels linked elsewhere or by searching on ustream.com or blip.tv.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Neckbeard said:
One thing that really helped me is watching commentaries of pro/high-level play. I learned a ton, especially from Day[9]. You can find his channels linked elsewhere or by searching on ustream.com or blip.tv.

If I wanna enjoy this game at all, I guess I probably should, thanks for the tip.

Neckbeard

Kinitari said:
If I wanna enjoy this game at all, I guess I probably should, thanks for the tip.

I realize that it goes without saying, but I can't emphasize how much actually knowing what's going on has helped my play.

A few things I've picked up that have helped me tremendously:

Try not to let your minerals get over 500.
If you need to work on your multitasking, check out the "UMS" maps. They're practice for learning to control units, manage your base and build units while under pressure.

Scout early, scout often
Sac a drone/SCV/probe if you must, but there are easy ways to keep him alive while discovering what your opponent is up to. Learn what each building could mean, and how you're supposed to counter those possibilities. The only way to really learn this is to watch the higher-level replays.

Learn the maps
Some maps are good for rushes, others are good to focus on macro play and defensiveness. Learn when you should and more importantly shouldn't go for either early unit-producing structures or tech buildings.

Finally,

Pick a race and stick with it
Learn the ins and outs of one race. That way, even if you chose to move on to another race later, you'll know damn well what works and doesn't work against it. There are comparatively few players who do well by playing random (though there are many out there)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Write down a build on paper and look at it as you play.

Also learn the PURPOSE of a build order.
Most important is constant worker production, not being supply capped, and making units.

Effect

Kinitari said:

They have been very helpful with the first opening moves. After that it's all very random. However those opening moves can be the key of a game lasting 15 or more minutes or being over in 7.

Contaminate sounds like the most broken spell ever.

General: (not ZvZ specific)
-Contaminate does not stop buildings from constructing.
-Contaminate stops researching technologies
-Contaminate stops the production queue
-Contaminate can be reapplied before the previous contaminate expires. This resets its duration.

Zerg Specific
-Contaminate does stop the naturally occurring larvae from spawning.
-Contaminate does stop the timer for spawning naturraly occuring larvae*.
-Contaminate doesn't stop vomit from ticking down.
-Contaminate does stop the larvae from vomit from being spewed out
-Contaminate does not stop hatcheries from morphing.
-Contaminate does stop queens from spawning (obvious)

It's also apparently a cast and go spell, not a channeling spell (like Phoenix Graviton Beam). You can theoretically get like Five Overseers and permanently shut off your opponent's production (against Zerg at least) while you continue to pump out units.

Won

watervengeance said:
It's also apparently a cast and go spell, not a channeling spell (like Phoenix Graviton Beam). You can theoretically get like Five Overseers and permanently shut off your opponent's production (against Zerg at least) while you continue to pump out units.

Overseers are quite expensive though.

Zen

Banned
Hazaro said:
So you had gas? You couldn't of attacked his probe line or teched to tanks?

You can always lift off as Terran also you know. Just move and all his cannons are useless.

I did that as Terran, moved my base right into the gold expansion and proceeded to out econ him and obliterated him. He quit before I could ask him how that cheese worked out for him.

Won said:
Overseers are quite expensive though.

50 (+100) Minerals and 100 Gas isn't that bad. Just one or two is usually enough to cripple your opponent. 30 seconds is quite a long time; time that the opponent could be using to make units. And if you do it consecutively, your opponent will just never be able to do anything unless he makes more hatcheries, which are far more expensive.

Against Protoss or Terran, Contaminate could delay higher tech units, which can really save your ass in a pinch. On the other hand, since you know that it'll be coming, you have 30 additional seconds to prepare for it.

Plus, Overseers are very useful in general because they serve as detectors. All Zerg players should be getting a handful of them anyway. Now that they have Contaminate, there's almost no reason NOT to get them because it pays for itself.

Also, you're containing your opponent in the process. The opponent has to get antiair and leave them within the perimeter of his base. Overseers move quite fast in my opinion.

Alright everyone, I got 7v7 working. This motivated me to finish my 7v7 map, and I think it's ready for public consumption.

I NEED HELP THOUGH, I want all your opinions on what you think of the map, how to improve it, etc. first, the map:

fairmaplabeled.jpg

Here's the legend:

yellow 1,2,3: amount of destructible rocks on given ramp to the upper level
red M: main spawn point (2 gas, 10 crystals)
pink N: natural expansion (2 gas, 8 crystals)
black L: low cliff for reapers, colossi, necessary for vulnerability (sorry zerg :( )
orange x: xelnaga watchtower

A few notes:

1. the middle is made up of a layer of destructible rocks, a layer of normal blue minerals, a layer of rich orange minerals, and 12 high yield gas in the innermost layer. This isnt that necessary but I figured in a long battle

2. This is my best concoction for having a map that inevitably has people on the front lines and others safe in their corners. The corners have a vulnerable single rock formation to break through and leads straight into their main base, their natural expansion is outside the confines on their turtle nest and the jumpable reaper cliffs are right behind their main as well.

3. the middle people have the best combination of placements i could think of.

4. the xelnaga watch towers in the middle are inaccessible from either the high ground or low ground. they need a reaper,colossus, dropship or what have you in order to access them. I hadn't really wanted to make the separation between the two teams so choked but i wanted the towers to be accessible from the cliffs on the side.

Pandaman said:
14 gaffers go. :p

we'll let you know what needs changingg.

hehe. well the map is public, i dont know what that entails but maybe you could search for it. now we just need 14 gaffers that wanna play and we're set.

msv

EU gaf, the servers work now, just played two 3v3's. Bit laggy but they work fine now it seems, let's hope it keeps up.

Get online and PLAY :D

jasonng

Hoooly, someone remade The Thing. One of my favorite custom games back in brood war. Too bad bnet is not letting me download it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So frustrating...

I keep stalling (I assume the connection gets lost) at the loading screen for matches.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
msv said:
EU gaf, the servers work now, just played two 3v3's. Bit laggy but they work fine now it seems, let's hope it keeps up.

Get online and PLAY :D
I just played the ai and got dropped

LIES MSV ALL LIES!!!!!!

ok so my 7v7 map is public so if im not around and theres 14 people who want to play, do a search when you make a custom game for "fair infinity".

then, when you make the game, make it custom and then select in the second drop down menu where 1v1 or 2v2 would be, the second "custom" identifier, and that should automatically make two teams of 7 ready to be filled.

Try it out and see if it works! (it should)

DaFish

Ice Monkey said:
ok so my 7v7 map is public so if im not around and theres 14 people who want to play, do a search when you make a custom game for "fair infinity".

then, when you make the game, make it custom and then select in the second drop down menu where 1v1 or 2v2 would be, the second "custom" identifier, and that should automatically make two teams of 7 ready to be filled.

Try it out and see if it works! (it should)
b.net no workie

JasoNsider said:
Dear everyone,

It's a fucking Beta. When it doesn't work, that should be expected. Go grab a drink with some friends.

Sincerely,
Me
Over rated

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
Hey GAF,

So during this period of unreliable Bnet servers, I thought I'd come and ask some questions about build order and mid/late game strat as protoss.

For whatever reason, I picked protoss to focus on. Conceptually they click with me, and I find them the easiest to macro.

Before the wipe I was able to go gold in my 1v1 matches simply by opening with 2 gate, getting warpgates, going 4 gates, and just pushing on my opponent, typically building a proxy pylon nearby to reinforce. Simply put, I didn't deserve to be gold (I never played sc1 beyond the campaign), but all of my placement matches were pushovers. I was never forced to learn how to transition to a mid-game build, I never really had to do more than just amass stalkers, and if there was a wall, blink up past it.

So my question to GAF is - what are the mid-game contingencies I should be aware of? What if I'm facing a massive MMM ball with tanks to back them up? What if there's a huge flock of mutalisks? Is 2 gate the safest opening? Should 2 gate always push, or should I just defend my natural expand point? I've been watching some streams of high level play, but half the time I'm not sure if I'm picking up on what I should.

Would love to hear thoughts, or just be pointed towards some great high-level protoss play I can learn to mimic.

Thanks GAF!

DaFish

Paper Tiger said:
Hey GAF,

So during this period of unreliable Bnet servers, I thought I'd come and ask some questions about build order and mid/late game strat as protoss.

For whatever reason, I picked protoss to focus on. Conceptually they click with me, and I find them the easiest to macro.

Before the wipe I was able to go gold in my 1v1 matches simply by opening with 2 gate, getting warpgates, going 4 gates, and just pushing on my opponent, typically building a proxy pylon nearby to reinforce. Simply put, I didn't deserve to be gold (I never played sc1 beyond the campaign), but all of my placement matches were pushovers. I was never forced to learn how to transition to a mid-game build, I never really had to do more than just amass stalkers, and if there was a wall, blink up past it.

So my question to GAF is - what are the mid-game contingencies I should be aware of? What if I'm facing a massive MMM ball with tanks to back them up? What if there's a huge flock of mutalisks? Is 2 gate the safest opening? Should 2 gate always push, or should I just defend my natural expand point? I've been watching some streams of high level play, but half the time I'm not sure if I'm picking up on what I should.

Would love to hear thoughts, or just be pointed towards some great high-level protoss play I can learn to mimic.

Thanks GAF!
I play Zerg (mostly cuz they look so damned cool) so I wouldn't really know, But I would say go "Air" units... they almost always fuck me up.

Mr Cola

DaFish said:
I play Zerg (mostly cuz they look so damned cool) so I wouldn't really know, But I would say go "Air" units... they almost always fuck me up.
Early cloak banshees v zerg is usually pretty damn effective as Terran

Mr Cola

DaFish said:
yeah, fuck those cloaked bastards... I need to build Lair up quicker just to defend that :(
If zerg dont scout it i count it as an easy win usually, at the level i play anyway.

Paper Tiger said:
Hey GAF,

Thanks GAF!

Against Mutalisks, get Stalkers (with Blink) and Sentries. Guardian Shields greatly reduces Mutalisk damage, not to mention Sentries destroy Mutalisk really easily. Phoenix are great if you have good micro.

Against MMM ball with tanks, get Collosus (with Thermal Lance) to deal insane splash damage. Stalkers can blink behind tanks to destroy them. Sentries can use Guardian Shield. Zealots/Immortals can be used to soak up damage.

Dark Templars are also quite effective (albeit very risky) if you want to force enemy to retreat/waste scans/build ravens. DTs are incredibly powerful and pretty much rip things to shreds if left unchecked for longer than a few seconds.

msv

Holy shit 4v4 is crazy awesome :lol

We were 4x terran. One dude went mass vikings, other reapers n hellions, other mmm+thors and i went mmm + bcs :lol

Laggy as hell for me tho, my pc cant handle it very well :/ Guess I'll have to tune down some settings.

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
Thanks, watervengeance. So with the void ray nerf and the insane cost of carriers (and motherships, I suppose), is it best to avoid air so as to conserve upgrades? Or are phoenixes necessarily part of a well-balanced force? I can see how phoenixes would be helpful to, say, lift up thors, or tanks, etc., but I'm worried that I won't be able to micro them effectively just yet.

JoeMartin

msv said:
Holy shit 4v4 is crazy awesome :lol

We were 4x terran. One dude went mass vikings, other reapers n hellions, other mmm+thors and i went mmm + bcs :lol

Laggy as hell for me tho, my pc cant handle it very well :/ Guess I'll have to tune down some settings.

Played a couple quad terran games yesterday. We built pretty much nothing but marines tanks and vikings. I mean so many tanks.

Also quite humorous was the raven build. We built ravens. Lots and lots of ravens. ATs/PDDs everywhere.

Paper Tiger said:
Thanks, watervengeance. So with the void ray nerf and the insane cost of carriers (and motherships, I suppose), is it best to avoid air so as to conserve upgrades? Or are phoenixes necessarily part of a well-balanced force? I can see how phoenixes would be helpful to, say, lift up thors, or tanks, etc., but I'm worried that I won't be able to micro them effectively just yet.

Personally, I try not to use any air units (Phoenix are exception). Void Rays may be strong, but they're very easy to counter if the enemy scouts it early. You should never get carriers unless it's really late in the game and you have a ridiculous surplus of money. Motherships suck. Period. Phoenix are good, but they're require quite a bit of micro. Phoenix are awesome if your opponent goes Tank/Marauder or mass air units.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ps the larger fonts are ugly and I miss the mans on the single/multi player tab

ps i want to play game

Top Bottom