• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rez said:
I find that I'm playing worse and worse too. Just can't get my head around early-game harassing. Part of me doesn't want to learn that. I don't want to potentially win in the first ten minutes against a fellow Copper who doesn't understand it fully wither, how boring. But at the same time, I need the skill for when I start versing higher tier players.
Early game pressure keeps people honest against going econ greedy builds. If you don't use that advantage you can lose later on if they can macro.

It's better for everyone if you play your best.

They really should just the beta down early to fix how unstable it is. The main thing they wanted to test this patch was their crappy facebook meshing bollocks and anyone who was going to use it would of done so by now.

Corran Horn said:
Im more worried that Im giving my email addy which logs into my account for SC2 and Bnet to tons of people :lol

Yeah. IRL friends etc that is fine, if they try and hax your account you can punch them. It is never a smart idea to share any account info of the account you are using to random people. However only the people with brains God created on opposite day would be that stupid but they deserve all that comes their way, like free tickets to Oprah and a subscription to Swedish Penis Extender.

so guys, can you refer to my post about my map? i need some suggestions.

I toyed around with it in the test feature of the editor, and i like it alot. The mains and nats of each starting point seem to work well. I also don't think the reaper cliffs give too much advantage to terrans, since in other maps bases would be accessible too and the xelnaga towers are accessible by the ramps in each base anyway, it's just that reapers can get to them quicker, also like most other sc2 maps.

Here's the only problem i can think of before playing a full game against you guys (if it will ever be possible) The little infinity symbols on the top and the bottom that have the layers of rocks, minerals, rich minerals and rich geysers take way too long to reach the middle. See, the problem is that those mineral fields can only ever be harvested by at most one scv+mule at a time, and in practice this takes damn near forever to get through since it works out to be two to three layers of minerals before you can access the geysers. Now, each base has about 10000 gas in them, so this shouldnt be a problem. The only thing is, if you ever want at some point to get to the geysers even just for fun, it's gonna take just insanely too long to get in.

In addition, the sheer amount of minerals there basically gives terrans a huge advantage of course because of the freaking mules. I just did a dry run of what I could accomplish with like 20 orbital commands all doing mules and I got into the tens of thousands after what seemed to be a short while. That combined with how marines are basically the best unit in the game and reapers are beloved on the map make me fear for anyone daring to play protoss or zerg on this crazy map. Then again, it is a big 7v7 game so its not like one side has to be all terran to have a chance, plus it takes huge dedication to care that much about the middle resources.

I'm thinking my two options are to either try and reduce all the mineral clusters to something like 100 each (seems too low) or just build something better at those spots. I can get behind building something better but I already decided to call the damn map "fair infinity" (not that that's even good) and those spots actually look really damn pretty when you play the game.

With all that said, anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?

Sloegr

watervengeance said:
I'm packing a low 40 APM. :(

That's about where I sit as well. It was roughly my peak in SC1 as well, and I played Terran. As you may be able to guess, it was not pretty!

Is everyone able to play user maps? Whenever I try to load one, I get an error - USER_CREATED_MAPS_NOT_ALLOWED.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:lol

TL has a thread for freeze art.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=126943

6z6clx.jpg

Kryptonic

ElJuice said:
That's about where I sit as well. It was roughly my peak in SC1 as well, and I played Terran. As you may be able to guess, it was not pretty!

Is everyone able to play user maps? Whenever I try to load one, I get an error - USER_CREATED_MAPS_NOT_ALLOWED.

I'm getting the same error.

reading a thread on TL, I had an interesting idea for ultras. It doesn't sound too OP when i think about it.

How about, keep them exactly the same as they are now, but give them the ability to move while burrowed. Not even needed to be researched maybe since they are tier 3 anyway.

The cool thing I'm imagining in addition though is that although they would be able to move while burrowed, you can see them in the ground as they move. they are, however, invisible when staying still just as they are now and the trail that you see as they move while burrowed will take a short few seconds to disappear. This would make sense flavor-wise since ultras are so big they cant hide while they are burrowing.

In regards to detectors, although you can see the ultras moving underground, only when a detector is around would you be able to hit them. Much like how it would be for DTs coming towards your army. However, ultras would have to unburrow to attack unlike other cloaked units. Finally, as they unburrow, one of their attacks procs near-instantly to the nearest unit if in range. (with a different animation to show the ultra exploding from the ground)

Now here's the two things this would solve: everyone seems to consider ultras as being useless mainly because they die before they even reach their targets. Not only that but second, they get trapped behind even your own units because they are so big which contributes to them dying so quickly.

By being untargetable without detection then you can expect or rely on ultras not dying before they reach their targets.

By moving while burrowed they can be maneuvered without running into everyone's troops.

By adding this unique noticeable version of moving while burrowed you both help improve the flavor/influence of burrow as race trait as well as distinguish the ability from being criticized as just an ultra's version of a dark templar ability.

Finally, I think we can all agree that ultra's being able to do this would see them being used more often.

I'm also imagining how understandable it would be in terms of all zerg ground units having some type of usage of burrow:

*All ground units can burrow
*drones and queens burrow to save their asses from attack (common target)
*lings burrow, upgrade into blings to burrow+ability: explode while burrowed
*hydras burrow, upgrade into lurkers to burrow+ability: attack while burrowed
*roaches burrow, upgrades to burrow+move+ability: regen, physical stealth moving burrow unit
*infestors burrow, upgrades to burrow+move, magical stealth moving burrow unit
*ultras burrow, upgrades to burrow+move, noticeable massive moving burrow unit

This was just an idle thought at first, but I'm seeing no downsides to this. They are already mad expensive, this would just actually allow them to be used competitively while not overpowering them. The idea of a stealth ultralisk sounds OP, but make the stealth obvious enough to the point that it's just a way to get them to get attacks off EVER while giving every race even more reason to care about detection and it seems solid to me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have to wonder if this is how b.net is running (yes it's a beta) how is it going to handle the insane amount of people who will play it upon release and the korean competitive market. Lagging or crashing during an event would be devastating.

syoaran

evlcookie said:
I have to wonder if this is how b.net is running (yes it's a beta) how is it going to handle the insane amount of people who will play it upon release and the korean competitive market. Lagging or crashing during an event would be devastating.

Every time they reset the database they time it with a slew of new beta key's to try and get the effect of release on the servers. They are also taking the beta down, and then back up again for stress testing.

I think ingame your going to be fine, the login servers might get punished though on the first weekend. We'll see.

Yaweee

Ice Monkey said:
reading a thread on TL, I had an interesting idea for ultras. It doesn't sound too OP when i think about it.

How about, keep them exactly the same as they are now, but give them the ability to move while burrowed. Not even needed to be researched maybe since they are tier 3 anyway.

The cool thing I'm imagining in addition though is that although they would be able to move while burrowed, you can see them in the ground as they move. they are, however, invisible when staying still just as they are now and the trail that you see as they move while burrowed will take a short few seconds to disappear. This would make sense flavor-wise since ultras are so big they cant hide while they are burrowing.

In regards to detectors, although you can see the ultras moving underground, only when a detector is around would you be able to hit them. Much like how it would be for DTs coming towards your army. However, ultras would have to unburrow to attack unlike other cloaked units. Finally, as they unburrow, one of their attacks procs near-instantly to the nearest unit if in range. (with a different animation to show the ultra exploding from the ground)

Now here's the two things this would solve: everyone seems to consider ultras as being useless mainly because they die before they even reach their targets. Not only that but second, they get trapped behind even your own units because they are so big which contributes to them dying so quickly.

By being untargetable without detection then you can expect or rely on ultras not dying before they reach their targets.

By moving while burrowed they can be maneuvered without running into everyone's troops.

By adding this unique noticeable version of moving while burrowed you both help improve the flavor/influence of burrow as race trait as well as distinguish the ability from being criticized as just an ultra's version of a dark templar ability.

Finally, I think we can all agree that ultra's being able to do this would see them being used more often.

I'm also imagining how understandable it would be in terms of all zerg ground units having some type of usage of burrow:

*roaches burrow, upgrades to burrow+move+ability: regen, physical stealth moving burrow unit

This was just an idle thought at first, but I'm seeing no downsides to this. They are already mad expensive, this would just actually allow them to be used competitively while not overpowering them. The idea of a stealth ultralisk sounds OP, but make the stealth obvious enough to the point that it's just a way to get them to get attacks off EVER while giving every race even more reason to care about detection and it seems solid to me.

Honestly, that won't do anything to make Ultralisks more usable. The problem is that the two things they counter en masse (zerglings and marines) are better and sooner countered by banelings. Cost, long build time, ridiculous need for extra upgrades, and their late late late late game status leaves them with little purpose.

And if you can sneak them to their target, so what? They really don't do that much damage; their advantage is their AoE effect and huge armor value, so you kind of want them to take hits.

Yaweee

Des0lar said:
Just remove ultras and roaches and replace them with something that's actually interesting.

Roaches are pretty interesting, IMO, and were likely more so before all of the nerfs. Why did they remove it's interesting abilities before their supply?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So ive just been asleep for about 12 hours, whats the consensus now? Is it worth playing some placement games or is the drop rate the same?

assuming the development team will start monday or tuesday working again we have 6-7 days we can play normaly if they release a bugfix patch

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
maniac-kun said:
assuming the development team will start monday or tuesday working again we have 6-7 days we can play normaly if they release a bugfix patch
ITS NOT ENOUGH
cry.gif

I just played three games, 2 1v1 which froze intermittently but didnt stop and a 3v3 which totally froze. I'd just wait, and wheres my ability to play custom games, they aren't allowed right now or some weird message :/

Minsc

Gold Member
Ice Monkey said:

Ultralisk's just need a charge ability that takes them from point A to point B, knocking back all large units and killing all small units in their way, in place of burrow.

This would allow them to be used to break up crowds, but they'd still not have an AoE attack for a normal attack, which is important.

The charge should also allow the unit to jump over buildings when upgraded, allowing the units to gain easy access to walled off bases, and do what they were meant to do, tear apart the bases.

It could also be devastating to a mineral line of workers, a properly aimed charge could take out an entire bases resource gatherers.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Can anyone point me to a good Terran video? I can't seem to find any good ones, I seem to be getting better at the game - but my main issue is my terrible offense. My defense is pretty solid, but I never attack, I never know when to attack, and the rare times I do attack I get obliterated. Maybe I should get someone to play with me/against me and help me through this shit.

Wow, so uh... I just advanced from the Bronze League before the patch, to the Diamond League for this patch. Is the Diamond League the top league? If so... I'm so screwed.

As for freezes, I had one in my first time I tried a placement match, but have been free of them since. It was okay with me though, I was about to lose.

Won

Ice Monkey said:

I know you don't like scouting, but everyone has detector tech unlocked at this point and Ultralisk tech is not exactly hard to spot.

Also that pretty much would them make 1:1 Roach copies.

Yoshichan said:
I'm so close to crying... I'm not kidding when I said I'm about to give up, because really... things are getting way out of hand right now. I've never, ever lost so many times with my 2v2 partner. We are getting worse and worse and now it's gotten to the point where we can't possibly win anymore. And we're doing EVERYTHING. We're disconnecting from b.net, discussing everything, watching replays constantly and discussing that too.

Then we try a game. And lose, brutally. We are really trying our best but I'm sorry, it's not working. Our best "periods" were when we first got to copper before this patch. 3:1 wins:lose, ahh good times.

I'm this close to start crying. I can't handle this shit anymore.
:lol Gtfo of my hobby

Zzoram

Yoshichan said:
I'm so close to crying... I'm not kidding when I said I'm about to give up, because really... things are getting way out of hand right now. I've never, ever lost so many times with my 2v2 partner. We are getting worse and worse and now it's gotten to the point where we can't possibly win anymore. And we're doing EVERYTHING. We're disconnecting from b.net, discussing everything, watching replays constantly and discussing that too.

Then we try a game. And lose, brutally. We are really trying our best but I'm sorry, it's not working. Our best "periods" were when we first got to copper before this patch. 3:1 wins:lose, ahh good times.

I'm this close to start crying. I can't handle this shit anymore.

beta players have an average skill level a lot higher than what regular players will have once the game is out

remember, the beta is comprised mostly of hardcore broodwar players who sought out the beta codes

most of the non-broodwar players had a few matches then went back to WoW

ghst

thanks for the laugh
anyone just had their placement wins not recorded? mutilated my first guy, got the gg send off and everything, clicked the score screen button and left the game to be informed the match was "still in progress" and still had 5 games left. then lost the second to a void rage rush, which was of course recorded.

ghst said:
anyone just had their placement wins not recorded? mutilated my first guy, got the gg send off and everything, clicked the score screen button and left the game to be informed the match was "still in progress" and still had 5 games left. then lost the second to a void rage rush, which was of course recorded.
Yeah, it's buggy for most people.
I'm just messing around with 4v4 until they fix it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Deadly said:
So how are the servers this morning? Still as bad as yesterday?

It's horrible. I've only completed 1 game out of 7, every other game has frozen up on me. I even tried playing a game against the AI just to practice my macro, and even that froze on me. I'm done playing until they fix this. What a sad note for this awesome beta to end on. :(

I hoipe the release isn't like this, boy would that suck hairy donkey balls.

Mr Cola

Mengy said:
It's horrible. I've only completed 1 game out of 7, every other game has frozen up on me. I even tried playing a game against the AI just to practice my macro, and even that froze on me. I'm done playing until they fix this. What a sad note for this awesome beta to end on. :(

I hoipe the release isn't like this, boy would that suck hairy donkey balls.
Good thing no-one plays starcraft for the multiplayer

Minsc said:
Ultralisk's just need a charge ability that takes them from point A to point B, knocking back all large units and killing all small units in their way, in place of burrow.

This would allow them to be used to break up crowds, but they'd still not have an AoE attack for a normal attack, which is important.

The charge should also allow the unit to jump over buildings when upgraded, allowing the units to gain easy access to walled off bases, and do what they were meant to do, tear apart the bases.

It could also be devastating to a mineral line of workers, a properly aimed charge could take out an entire bases resource gatherers.

I'm still recommending they create an achievement: "You used an ultralisk!"
That'l get people using them.... at least for a few days.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Zzoram said:
beta players have an average skill level a lot higher than what regular players will have once the game is out

remember, the beta is comprised mostly of hardcore broodwar players who sought out the beta codes

most of the non-broodwar players had a few matches then went back to WoW
I wouldn't say that actually. There are many new people like me and my friends who couldn't get into broodwar multiplayer because it was too hardcore, but we all try to change this with SC2. Even the pros have to learn many things anew.

Mr Cola

shagg_187 said:
Even single-player will be laggy and freezing if shit goes the way it is since you have to be always online to play the game, if im correct.
:(

In worse news from the blizzard forums spokesman

Still no ETA I'm afraid people, we are actively investigating, please be patient.

Im calling it, this isnt getting fixed before beta close

robochimp

shagg_187 said:
Even single-player will be laggy and freezing if shit goes the way it is since you have to be always online to play the game, if im correct.

You don't have to be online to play single player. You will have to be online to earn single player achievements apparently.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I feel much better today... thanks for all the posts GAF.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fanboi said:
You are like a emotional rollercoaster ride.
:( Sorry... I just... I don't know :(

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
It was a really bad idea to release the patch on a weekend. No one is coming in to fix it till Monday. Everyone got the whole weekend off to go watch Lost and they aren't giving that up.

FoxSpirit

Yoshichan said:
:( Sorry... I just... I don't know :(

Wow, you remind me so much of myself. Don't worry, we were all giving you support of our own accord. Like my sister once said to me, 'Chris, if I could shut down one trait of you it's being so apologetic."

And one more thing, learn 1vs1. Get solid there. It makes for a wonderful learning experience :D

Top Bottom