• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
asfasfasfgasfgasrw WHATTHE FUCKKKK

jasonng

watervengeance said:
It looked dangerously close to being taken down, and the cannons weren't in range of the roaches.

I think he was going for the gateway but those zealots just kept pushing them back. Guess he didn't want to lose those roaches too.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
jasonng said:
I think he was going for the gateway but those zealots just kept pushing them back. Guess he didn't want to lose those roaches too.
but if the zealots chased the roaches, he could have gotten a clean surround, won and sniped the gateway.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yeah I still think he should have just focused down that gateway. Even if he lost some roaches, the lings could have freely killed all probes in his main.

Tacitus_

Pandaman said:
but if the zealots chased the roaches, he could have gotten a clean surround, won and sniped the gateway.

WhiteRa split his zealots so he could chase the roaches off while maintaining a block on the choke.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:
I think all he cared for was to pull the zealots back far enough for the lings to sweep through but then whitera got them back in place just in the nick of time.

jasonng said:

Zealots are incredibly weak against Roaches. Plus, I would personally sacrifice a Roach (or two) if it meant sniping a GATEWAY. I don't think WhiteRa had a second Gateway, so that meant no more Zealots for quite a while. Zergling runby is a no-brainer at that point.

I think Idra just succumbed to the pressure.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Corran Horn said:
I think all he cared for was to pull the zealots back far enough for the lings to sweep through but then whitera got them back in place just in the nick of time.
But it's been 6 zealots against 3-4 roaches and 12 or more lings. idRa should have focused down the gateway, sacrificing 2 roaches probably but being able to wreck havoc at WhiteRa's economy.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tacitus_ said:
WhiteRa split his zealots so he could chase the roaches off while maintaining a block on the choke.
yea, but if he got half the zealots and the gateway, it still would be over. that was the only gateway. he shouldn't have worried about a runby so early.

yanhero

Des0lar said:
But it's been 6 zealots against 3-4 roaches and 12 or more lings. idRa should have focused down the gateway, sacrificing 2 roaches probably but being able to wreck havoc at WhiteRa's economy.

You forgot 3 cannons.

msv

yanhero said:
You forgot 3 cannons.
If the gateway was busted the speedlings couldve gone in the main and wreaked havoc. He shouldve went for the gateway or pull back, instead he just attacked the zealots desperately.

jasonng

watervengeance said:
Zealots are incredibly weak against Roaches. Plus, I would personally sacrifice a Roach (or two) if it meant sniping a GATEWAY. I don't think WhiteRa had a second Gateway, so that meant no more Zealots for quite a while. Zergling runby is a no-brainer at that point.

I think Idra just succumbed to the pressure.

You're probably right about that. By the way, I'm late to the tournament so I don't know the players. I've been following nony and whitera because I'm hoping to pick up a thing or two from them. But where is this hate for Idra coming from? I despise zergs and Idra is the last person I want to face in a match. He's an amazing Zerg player.

Sloegr

jasonng said:
You're probably right about that. By the way, I'm late to the tournament so I don't know the players. I've been following nony and whitera because I'm hoping to pick up a thing or two from them. But where is this hate for Idra coming from? I despise zergs and Idra is the last person I want to face in a match. He's an amazing Zerg player.

IdrA has a reputation as a bad manner player going back to Brood War. He often quits without gg, and has also berated his opponents if they beat him in a way that he doesn't find particularly skillful.

yanhero

msv said:
If the gateway was busted the speedlings couldve gone in the main and wreaked havoc. He shouldve went for the gateway or pull back, instead he just attacked the zealots desperately.

I'll have to re-watch it to see how close he was to destroying the gateway, but yeah I agree with you that he could have pulled back and started macroing after those 3 cannons laid down. Idra probably let his emotions from the last game get to him.

jasonng said:
He's a great player, he's just incredibly boring to watch. Very safe and macro-oriented style, lots of massing -> 1a2a3a victories, etc. He's basically the exact opposite of a player like TheLittleOne. It also doesn't help that he whines like a bitch about imbalance every time he loses, regardless of whether or not he was outplayed

Game has basically been unplayable since the patch came out for me. I've gotten in a few games, then the next few last 5min before everyone lags out.

jasonng

ElJuice said:
IdrA has a reputation as a bad manner player going back to Brood War. He often quits without gg, and has also berated his opponents if they beat him in a way that he doesn't find particularly skillful.

So he acts like the majority of the bnet community? I guess we should expect these players to behave properly since they're considered "professional."

I can understand that but I'm not going to act star-struck and treat them as celebrities. They're playing for money and rep. I'm sure they aren't too concerned about having a fan base. I did catch Idra not GG'ing the last two games, can't exactly blame him. I did find it hilarious when he rage quit. That's why I never do such a thing. I don't want my opponent to know he got to me. I have no doubt that WhiteRa knew Idra was fuming in the last game and that alone already placed him in an advantage before the game even started.

OptimoPeach said:
He's a great player, he's just incredibly boring to watch. Very safe and macro-oriented style, lots of massing -> 1a2a3a victories, etc. He's basically the exact opposite of a player like TheLittleOne. It also doesn't help that he whines like a bitch about imbalance every time he loses, regardless of whether or not he was outplayed

I guess I'm just fresh to the scene. I certainly didn't find his play style boring. His macro is incredibly brag-worthy and as per my opinion, his way should be the way an ideal zerg player should play. It gives him so much freedom to adapt to the battlefield.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
jasonng said:
So he acts like the majority of the bnet community? I guess we should expect these players to behave properly since they're considered "professional."

yes that's exactly what they should do.

jasonng

-COOLIO- said:
yes that's exactly what they should do.

Not sure if you're serious. Did we forgot that outside the game a lot of these players are still socially retarded? If anything, Idra should be more of a douche since he's that invested.

jasonng said:
Most of the players acting like that on Battlenet are probably 12 year old kids and not professional Starcraft players living in South Korea. Idra is just embarassing to watch at times, and I'm glad that he lost.

msv said:
What's wrong at getting pissed off because you lose? Merely not saying gg, heh, who cares?

Even the Very Easy AI says GG. When you think about it, having worse manners than a line of code is pretty embarrassing :lol

rooflapimp said:
Most of the players acting like that on Battlenet are probably 12 year old kids and not professional Starcraft players living in South Korea. Idra is just embarassing to watch at times, and I'm glad that he lost.

I still wish it had been NoNy vs Whitera in the final, Idra is very boring. I am still surprised Idra beat NoNy 3-0.

I personally like Idra's play style. No bullshit, just straight up macro. The downside is that it can get boring if you watch him play all the time. However, his opponents usually try to use unorthodox strategies that make the games very interesting. Plus, it's always funny to see him ragequit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
jasonng said:
Not sure if you're serious. Did we forgot that outside the game a lot of these players are still socially retarded? If anything, Idra should be more of a douche since he's that invested.
really, no matter what, you should be a nice guy.

if you're doing something professionally, then it's even more expected.

also, you know these players are socially retarded how?

hd and husky seem like pretty cool guys who cast and play a lot of starcraft but id hang out with them no problem.

FoxSpirit

I don't remember who the players where but a anecdote from the world of Chess:

Man vs woman, speedchess. 2 top-worldclass players, seasoned tournament veterans. She wins.

Man: "Yeah, enjoy that because that's the only win you'll ever get against me." I was like wtf o_O
And you are almost 50 or 60 years old to boot!!

Then again, look at sports. Quite a couple of top contenders with shit manners.

jasonng

-COOLIO- said:
really, no matter what, you should be a nice guy.

if you're doing something professionally, then it's even more expected.

also, you know these players are socially retarded how?

hd and husky seem like pretty cool guys who cast and play a lot of starcraft but id hang out with them no problem.

I didn't say you shouldn't be well mannered, I'm saying it's smarter to be well mannered. I have nothing against sour players, they chose to be ill-tempered whether they're pros or not. Let them be, it cost Idra his shot for first place the way I see it. I could easily imagine WhiteRa pulling off a fake proxy on Idra in steppes because he was that pissed off. In the end, it's just makes it that much more entertaining for us.

And yeah, I may be assuming too much to think other players are like Idra. Don't think my line of thought is too far off though. I wouldn't mind hanging out with hd or husky either.

Zertez

I think the Gateway was around 30 percent health when Idra switched over to the Zealots. He could have taken it down and maybe got 6 Zerglings in Whiteras base. Whitera seem to make several huge mistakes in the beginning of the series, but quickly recovered after then. I believe Idra integrating Roaches into his build hurt him. I know Whitera probably studied the Nony/Idra games a lot, but with that build it would have been difficult for Whitera to stop it even when he knew it was coming. The key to beating Idra still seems to cut off his Macro with some early cheese. Idras build seem to rely on getting Zerglings into Whiteras main, and if he wasnt able to get some in, he was going to lose.

jasonng

What would have he'd done if he didnt push for that ling line to the main base? WhiteRa was on his way to an econ advantage. I don't know what Idra could've done differently.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Meh who cares about Idra and his BM...:D

If anything it works to put him on unfavourable terms...and people who play him are more likely to do builds to put him off his game because they know he will probably be behind his keyboard pissed off. :lol

Zertez

jasonng said:
What would have he'd done if he didnt push for that ling line to the main base? WhiteRa was on his way to an econ advantage. I don't know what Idra could've done differently.
At that time it was clear Whitera was going for a longer game with the expansion grab. Idra should have just set up his roaches near the choke and grabbed his expansion. Idras all in had little chance for success at that time. In the final game you could tell Idra was flustered and off his game, early pushes are definitely not Idras strong point.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I've been dropped from every single game I've played today =/. Probably better this way, I suck a lot so this way I can say "No I didn't lose those 10 rounds in a row! I got dropped!"

Just got dropped from a 3v3, me (zerg) toss and terran against three zerg. They 10p rushed us early, almost taking out the terran. I decided to go muta/ling and it was working a bit, but right before I could send 10 mutas into battle... "you've been dropped"

Probably would have lost because it was essentially 3v2, but could have been interesting.

Top Bottom