• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Kinitari said:
I've been dropped from every single game I've played today =/. Probably better this way, I suck a lot so this way I can say "No I didn't lose those 10 rounds in a row! I got dropped!"
Good time to practice rushing, if it fails just hold out until the drop, if it works you win :O

Ikael

My main beef with the game is that there are several units which have no use or whatsoever. Here are some ideas for them:

Mothership: Right now it is a big waste of resources. No need to get back to the craziness that was the pre - patch mothership, but a suplemental hability wouldn't be out of order. My propositions:

a) Give it back the planetcracker but make it a researchable skill
b) Make the mothership act as a huge shield recharger, thus making it a great supporting unit like, well, a mothership
c) Impenetrable shield. A temporary skill that grants invulnerability to the mothership during a short period of time, and thus, preventing the "huge luminous practice target" effect of it being the only visible unit

Ultralisk: As some other forum user suggested before, a "charge" hability that would help him to get trought enemy lines and reach the enemy easily would work wonders with it.

Dark Templar: Its usefullness is extremely situational (basically harrassing zerg expos), and requiring an specific building only adds to its limitations, I have yet to see a player use them against me. My suggestions:

a) The most obvious one: do not require a completely different building in order to obtain them
b) Make them able to have the charge and / or the blink skill once your research said skills. That way they would rettain their harrasment role (not a frontline unit since none of their basic stats would have been upgraded) yet it would increase a lot their effectivity against humans and protoss too

Ikael said:
My main beef with the game is that there are several units which have no use or whatsoever. Here are some ideas for them:

Mothership: Right now it is a big waste of resources. No need to get back to the craziness that was the pre - patch mothership, but a suplemental hability wouldn't be out of order. My propositions:

a) Give it back the planetcracker but make it a researchable skill
b) Make the mothership act as a huge shield recharger, thus making it a great supporting unit like, well, a mothership
c) Impenetrable shield. A temporary skill that grants invulnerability to the mothership during a short period of time, and thus, preventing the "huge luminous practice target" effect of it being the only visible unit

Ultralisk: As some other forum user suggested before, a "charge" hability that would help him to get trought enemy lines and reach the enemy easily would work wonders with it.

Dark Templar: Its usefullness is extremely situational (basically harrassing zerg expos), and requiring an specific building only adds to its limitations, I have yet to see a player use them against me. My suggestions:

a) The most obvious one: do not require a completely different building in order to obtain them
b) Make them able to have the charge and / or the blink skill once your research said skills. That way they would rettain their harrasment role (not a frontline unit since none of their basic stats would have been upgraded) yet it would increase a lot their effectivity against humans and protoss too

A few things:

1) You do realize it's "ability" and not "hability" right? :lol
2) Dark Templar's usefulness is meant to be situational since they are stealth units that deal incredible amounts of damage (but have little health). If they go unchecked for more than a few seconds they will do insane damage to your buildings or forces if you are without a detector. They are certainly not just meant to harass Zerg. You've never DT dropped or been DT dropped with a warp prism in an enemy base? It can destroy a Nexus in seconds if you don't have an observer or photon cannon around and can 1 hit kill workers.
3) If DT's had Charge and/or Blink they would be ridiculously overpowered.
4) It is ESSENTIAL in my opinion that they require a building. It is a warning for scouters that your enemy is teching to Dark Templars, and without this building there would be less of a reward/warning for scouting.
5) Motherships being a portable shield battery is a great idea that I have read somewhere else as well and agree with. Ultralisks being able to charge or at the very least step over your own units like Colosi do would be very useful.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My thoughts: The mothership plays a really really good defensive role late game. Just because people don't get to late game now doesn't mean that a single mothership can guard a remote expo (or 2 expos). 8 food for near perfect protection is EXTREMELY good. (Vortex for 20 seconds to buy time and ability to recall your army if it is out of position).

Ultralisks don't need abilities. They just need to push smaller units away and have their collision radius reduces with a buff to health. Their AoE splash has also been nerfed to shit so seeing that fixed would be nice.

DT's are fine as is. Detection is 'harder' to get this game. DT's play roles early game, late game, and can be morphed into archons.

I think I've built like two Ultralisks since I've had the patch (got it a couple days after it's release). They're rather useless and not worth the resources. Although I kinda want to see an Ultralisk with Frenzy lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PhoenixDark said:
I think I've built like two Ultralisks since I've had the patch (got it a couple days after it's release). They're rather useless and not worth the resources. Although I kinda want to see an Ultralisk with Frenzy lol
I've read a few threads on TL about frenzy and it's basically shit. Just make units instead.

mcrae

after losing 2 4v4s, and dropping/freezing on two more, i came around to win my 5th and placed in gold league.

it was a decent enough game, i went helped a bit with the first attack, while going straight to void rays, i ended up having 15 or so when 9 came to flank my teammate and i killed them all without losing one, and started making carriers and a mothership, eventually had about 15-18 of those by the time my voidrays were all dead, and swept the map.

i'm actually quite proud of the score screen:

270kto90k.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
mcrae said:
after losing 2 4v4s, and dropping/freezing on two more, i came around to win my 5th and placed in gold league.

it was a decent enough game, i went helped a bit with the first attack, while going straight to void rays, i ended up having 15 or so when 9 came to flank my teammate and i killed them all without losing one, and started making carriers and a mothership, eventually had about 15-18 of those by the time my voidrays were all dead, and swept the map.

i'm actually quite proud of the score screen:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3986/270kto90k.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
you [B]finished[/B] two 4v4s? is bnet fixed?

also, good job.

mcrae

-COOLIO- said:
you finished two 4v4s? is bnet fixed?

also, good job.

well i quit 10 minutes in after a partner dropped and i realized my other two partners and i didnt stand a chance, lol. today i got in 3 30-40 minute games though, including the one above. 3v3 and 4v4 is fun, though it does feel less strategic.

dmann

I've played (4) 3v3 games today. Seems bnet freezing problem is fixed, however the games still had a considerable amount of lag present. Playable, but slow at times.

rhfb said:
Looks like the joker doesn't know a joke when he sees one :lol

I stopped watching after around the first 10-20 seconds after she mentioned "Playing as the Protoss" in a Marine Mirror match, then I watched the rest out of curiosity due to its 100K viewcount in got in around 3/4 days.

Zzoram

The new map publishing/hosting system is so bad, it's going to hamper map development and accessibility.

The fact that the oldest version of a map stays at the top of the list because more people have played it is stupid. You have to open several pages down to find newer versions of maps.

Hazaro said:
DT's are fine as is. Detection is 'harder' to get this game. DT's play roles early game, late game, and can be morphed into archons.

I still think that Templar Archives should be a duel DT/HT building, then make DT a Research option (or make the ability to attack+stay stealthed a research option). I still think Archons need some upgrades on TA or adjustment, like Dark Archons. They are the one unit in the game worse than Ultralisks :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChronicleX said:
I still think that Templar Archives should be a duel DT/HT building, then make DT a Research option (or make the ability to attack+stay stealthed a research option). I still think Archons need some upgrades on TA or adjustment, like Dark Archons. They are the one unit in the game worse than Ultralisks :lol
I would be ok with making the DT Shrine cost less gas. It's cost is just silly.
Archons are alright but certainly not the units they were in SC I.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
streams ive been watching seem to be alot more stable, havent seen any drops on the US side so far today. Eu is still a jittering terrible mess thought :(.

ChronicleX said:

Just scrap them, as if Protoss need another unit :( Give archons to zerg (lore be damned, just say they go crazy)

Hazaro said:
I would be ok with making the DT Shrine cost less gas. It's cost is just silly.
Archons are alright but certainly not the units they were in SC I.

It does not even need to exist as a building. It has no upgrades it is just a "tech that is a building", it should be a tech. At least then their existence cannot be scouted before they are even made. Take Banshee's for example, you see a starport but it does not mean cloaked Banshee are on the way, it could be a number of things so even if detection is gotten in prep you are not screwed. Plus Banshee do fine even when visible, another bonus.

I really do not understand why it is a building, that should remain a zerg thing. However at least the zerg buildings have upgrades on them.

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
It does not even need to exist as a building. It has no upgrades it is just a "tech that is a building", it should be a tech. At least then their existence cannot be scouted before they are even made. Take Banshee's for example, you see a starport but it does not mean cloaked Banshee are on the way, it could be a number of things so even if detection is gotten in prep you are not screwed. Plus Banshee do fine even when visible, another bonus.

I really do not understand why it is a building, that should remain a zerg thing. However at least the zerg buildings have upgrades on them.

Lore wise, this wouldn't be possible.

Since DT and HT hate eachother.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm getting dropped every single game, kinda pisses me of.

Blizzard = Free.

fanboi said:
Lore wise, this wouldn't be possible.

Since DT and HT hate eachother.

Lorewise it makes no sense that a DT/HT combo can become an Archon for the same reason. Blizz stopped caring about maintaining lore when they released WoW.

Besides, it could be on the Twilight Council.

Zen

Banned
ChronicleX said:
Lorewise it makes no sense that a DT/HT combo can become an Archon for the same reason. Blizz stopped caring about maintaining lore when they released WoW.

To be fair, they started working together by Brood War, and it has been some time since then, with their race getting thee crap kicked out of them by the Zerg.

Tacitus_

ChronicleX said:

Lorewise it makes no sense for them to become archons since DTs use Void energies and HTs use templar/khalai energies.

They don't hate each other after Brood War. There's some mistrust and occasional hater but that's it.

V_Arnold

ChronicleX said:

Oh man. I would have been seriously surprised if you did not hate World of Warcraft too. High five!

Finally made it through my 5 placement matches and got ranked as 27th place in Diamond using Random. I absolutely do not belong here. Just so glad that Blizzard has a way of getting demoted down leagues if you don't belong. :lol

Top Bottom