• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mcrae

-COOLIO- said:
awesome

http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/6483

well here's a spine crawler rush. it seems a looot more effective than a cannon rush. what can i do to beat it? can 2 marines down 3 crawlers before they spawn? should i always keep an scv just out my base against zerg to block a hatchery going down?

as soon as the front is broken they can just run in zerglings and youre done. especially if you built to counter the rush

crawlers have 7 range, marauders have 6, and gain 1 when in a bunker.

make a bunker with a marauder in it, and you're pretty efffectively countering the crawlers. especially cause 1. they are armored and 2. they take like.. what... 10? seconds to plant once they are in position

Zzoram

So I cannoned a guy in 2v2 and he raged so hard. He was spewing tons of gay profanity, went silent for a bit, then my SCII dropped me, froze, and Firefox was insanely laggy for a few minutes after. The same thing happened to my partner. My wifi said it was strongly connected though, and the guy I was playing with wasn't from the same city. Did that guy drophack me or otherwise attack my computer? Or was it a coincidental B.net crap out? This is the first time I've disconnected with such a big lead before, and I've almost never disconnected since patch 13 even though a lot of people have had problems.

Zertez

Zzoram said:
So I cannoned a guy in 2v2 and he raged so hard. He was spewing tons of gay profanity, went silent for a bit, then my SCII dropped me, froze, and Firefox was insanely laggy for a few minutes after. The same thing happened to my partner. My wifi said it was strongly connected though, and the guy I was playing with wasn't from the same city. Did that guy drophack me or otherwise attack my computer? Or was it a coincidental B.net crap out? This is the first time I've disconnected with such a big lead before, and I've almost never disconnected since patch 13 even though a lot of people have had problems.
Doubt he could drop you like that. Sounds like you have just been lucky with Bnet so far, but now it is time to suffer.

JEESUS lag, this was supposed to be a week of pure starcraft, instead people's views are just disgusted with any progress bnet 2.0 is right now, blizzard QA dropped the ball. WORD OF MOUTH BLIZZ

Zertez

Orangepeel said:
JEESUS lag, this was supposed to be a week of pure starcraft, instead people's views are just disgusted with any progress bnet 2.0 is right now, blizzard QA dropped the ball. WORD OF MOUTH BLIZZ
Im hoping they hold beta over another week to make up for all the lost time. Feels like the week is already wasted and I cant imagine they were able to get a lot of useful feedback, other than fix this crap.

Trasher

This lag is awful. Really makes it unplayable. At least I still managed to get my placement matches in. Diamond!

I need to re-add you all again. So I need your emails to do this now?

fanboi

Banned
Played against a terran yesterday who committed all in with Helions (early attack) + fire upgrade... and I went hydra + lings... it was a slaughter.

EDIT: Game after I built a spinecrawler before he came with Helions...

msv said:
Woah, the blip.tv player is horrible. Volume control hangs all the time, annoyingly long loud commercials, and most of all, you can't ffw, daamn.

Only problem I have with blip is the adds, but that is fixed by clicking the add to bypass it, and having your adblocker/watever block the place it would take you to.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Can someone tell me how to win as Zerg? Zerg doesn't have any go to builds other than 6 pool ling rush which is considered cheese. We don't have anything like building to void rays for Protoss or MMM for terrans. I just find myself reacting to whatever my opponent does.

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
I missed the HDH final of Idra vs WhiteRa. Anyone got any links to the shoutcast/replays for it? I cannot find it.

You can't watch the replays using SC2, and don't think there are any shoutcast for this match... might come up later on Husky or HD

fanboi

Banned
Adent said:
Can someone tell me how to win as Zerg? Zerg doesn't have any go to builds other than 6 pool ling rush which is considered cheese. We don't have anything like building to void rays for Protoss or MMM for terrans. I just find myself reacting to whatever my opponent does.

As zerg you should more focus on massing units/harassing.

You can build like this.

14 Pool
15 Hatch
Build extractor queen and drones + OL
Upgrade to Lair
mass Drones/lings + speed upgrade for lings
Build another extractor
Lair finish build spire
Continue drones/lings but remember to save up for 3-4 mutas so you can build em directly when spire is done.
Harass... after this, I usually 1) mass mutas or 2) switch to hydras since he will counter the mutas.

Also, since you will be weak in the early game might throw down some spine crawlers in the beginning.

Zen

Banned
fuck I've lost my last 8/10 matches time to call in for the day.

EDIT: Before that I was on a 7 game win streak, I don't need any help.

Ashhong

fanboi said:
You can't watch the replays using SC2, and don't think there are any shoutcast for this match... might come up later on Husky or HD

one would assume its definitely coming up on their channels soon. im sure they recorded it as they casted it..

KaYotiX

Banned
Zertez said:
Im hoping they hold beta over another week to make up for all the lost time. Feels like the week is already wasted and I cant imagine they were able to get a lot of useful feedback, other than fix this crap.

of course they got alot of usefull feedback, all the lag helps them find problems in the code. Most of the beta now is stress testing servers.

I also find all the ppl complaining about there ranking funny....its all geting erased anyways :lol

fanboi said:
Since their games was played in Patch 12, and patch 13 cant view them.

You can view any replay in any patch, the game autoswitchs to the correct patch to play the replay.

Does not compute still stands :lol

Sloegr

ChronicleX said:
You can view any replay in any patch, the game autoswitchs to the correct patch to play the replay.

Does not compute still stands :lol

He specified patch 13, which appears to have an issue with loading up replays from earlier versions. I'm sure he is aware of the feature you mentioned. It's just not working right now.

ElJuice said:
He specified patch 13, which appears to have an issue with loading up replays from earlier versions. I'm sure he is aware of the feature you mentioned. It's just not working right now.

Wait, so patch 13 borked the replay switching feature? Well that is a crock of shit.

I'm going to guess the above was a pot shot at me, since the smeg never posts anything constructive after me.

I'm even willin to bet my account on it since once you are a twat for no reason, you have no reason to stop being that twat :lol

fanboi

Banned
:|

EDIT:

Ashong said:
one would assume its definitely coming up on their channels soon. im sure they recorded it as they casted it..

Well, I saw the games (two of em), and they have them prerecorded, but it is all games in a row with bad resolution I think.

Aesthet1c

fanboi said:
As zerg you should more focus on massing units/harassing.

You can build like this.

14 Pool
15 Hatch
Build extractor queen and drones + OL
Upgrade to Lair
mass Drones/lings + speed upgrade for lings
Build another extractor
Lair finish build spire
Continue drones/lings but remember to save up for 3-4 mutas so you can build em directly when spire is done.
Harass... after this, I usually 1) mass mutas or 2) switch to hydras since he will counter the mutas.

Also, since you will be weak in the early game might throw down some spine crawlers in the beginning.

I love this build. This is how I have been playing lately, and it's really effective. I even wall off my choke with my crawlers and back it up with queens so they can transfuse the crawlers.

The really nice thing about it is, most people I play against (plat league currently) don't plan for early air (unless they are able to scout my spire), and they have nothing to defend it, so my initial push of muta's will wipe out all of their workers and I'll just continue to reinforce it with more muta's until it's gg. If they do happen to hold off your muta's, then they usually panic and start massing some kind of anti air. That's when I switch to hydra's and nidus network them.

fanboi

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
I love this build. This is how I have been playing lately, and it's really effective. I even wall off my choke with my crawlers and back it up with queens so they can transfuse the crawlers.

The really nice thing about it is, most people I play against (plat league currently) don't plan for early air (unless they are able to scout my spire), and they have nothing to defend it, so my initial push of muta's will wipe out all of their workers and I'll just continue to reinforce it with more muta's until it's gg. If they do happen to hold off your muta's, then they usually panic and start massing some kind of anti air. That's when I switch to hydra's and nidus network them.

Yeah, also if it is against a Terran and they put a scan on you when you build your spire, cancel the spire when scan is gone and build Hydra den + banes.

Win.

Aesthet1c

fanboi said:
Yeah, also if it is against a Terran and they put a scan on you when you build your spire, cancel the spire when scan is gone and build Hydra den + banes.

Win.

Brilliant... I'll have to try that.

Meeru

Banned
Well mutas and hydras are both weak against marines..and any terran player must build tanks. so i would suggest build roaches and keep the mutas

fanboi

Banned
valenti said:
Well mutas and hydras are both weak against marines..and any terran player must build tanks. so i would suggest build roaches and keep the mutas

Hence the banes... But it might depend on the fact that I hate the roaches... also since they now cost 2 supply...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I played a few 4vs4's last night and I gotta say they sure are fun. Finished my placement matches and I got put into FUCKING DIAMOND LEAGUE 4vs4!!!!!! I'm a bronze player in 1vs1 for reference!!! No idea how that happened, I won 3 and lost 2 but in all 3 wins I was the weak link on my team, so Holy Crap am I going to get a rough ride playing 4vs4's from now on.

I think when I get the retail I am going to throw every placement match I get into and just work my way out when / if I get better.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
ChronicleX said:
I missed the HDH final of Idra vs WhiteRa. Anyone got any links to the shoutcast/replays for it? I cannot find it.
They casted those replays and then streamed them (it wasn't live on Sunday), so I'm hoping the VODs go up on their youtube sites soon. They were great matches.

mcrae said:
i agree. know it alls who know nothing.

Turns out I was right, once a twat always a twat :lol

Akuun said:
They casted those replays and then streamed them (it wasn't live on Sunday), so I'm hoping the VODs go up on their youtube sites soon. They were great matches.

Even more reason for it not to take this long....... gahahaha.

joelseph

Mengy said:
I played a few 4vs4's last night and I gotta say they sure are fun. Finished my placement matches and I got put into FUCKING DIAMOND LEAGUE 4vs4!!!!!! I'm a bronze player in 1vs1 for reference!!! No idea how that happened, I won 3 and lost 2 but in all 3 wins I was the weak link on my team, so Holy Crap am I going to get a rough ride playing 4vs4's from now on.

I think when I get the retail I am going to throw every placement match I get into and just work my way out when / if I get better.

Copper was removed and the ladders in 13 seem to be placing everyone high.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
ChronicleX said:
Even more reason for it not to take this long....... gahahaha.
Yeah I know. :( I want to rewatch them too.

The matchmaking actually seems to be a bit better to me this time around. My 2v2 partner and I constantly float around 3rd place in our Platinum league and our win rates are starting to even out. Our opponents seem roughly around our level, and with a little bit of improvement I imagine we'll get promoted to Diamond. I landed in gold in 1v1 when in patch 12 I lucked out and got into platinum.

Top Bottom