• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Akuun said:
Yeah I know. :( I want to rewatch them too.

The matchmaking actually seems to be a bit better to me this time around. My 2v2 partner and I constantly float around 3rd place in our Platinum league and our win rates are starting to even out. Our opponents seem roughly around our level, and with a little bit of improvement I imagine we'll get promoted to Diamond. I landed in gold in 1v1 when in patch 12 I lucked out and got into platinum.

Seems worse to me. I did bad in my placement on purpose to see if copper removal changed anything and for the most part it just made things wack. Everyone I played on my way up to the Diamond league including people from that league cheese and RQ when it fails. The ones that did not were not very skilled at all, even the so called Diamond players.

Sure the top of Diamond is prob the same as top of plat was pre patch, bottom of bronze still full of nubs but everywhere else just seems to be messed up. Less than a week togo before the beta ends, hopefully things improve when it comes back up for the stress test. Either this is just a side effect of the reset, or that matchmaking alteration has made climbing rank too easy.

Effect

Kinyou said:
Good to hear. Guess I will finally make my placement matches.

For me it seems 2 games is the best I can do before I start to lag. I can sometimes get through that 3rd game. However I drop come the 4th no matter what in a manner of minutes once the match starts. Simply restarting the game doesn't seem to help either. I needed a full restart last night and the night before. You can sometimes even see the lag during the player search process.

jesus TAPDANCING christ! I've played likw 15 games of 10-way cannon defense and every single one is lost on the first-third level. Nobody has even the slightest clue how to block in a game like this.

Sloegr

PhoenixDark said:
Have they cleared up whether the beta ends on May 31st or June 22nd?

I haven't heard the June 22nd date in regards to the end of beta. Where did you hear that it may end on the 22nd?

shagg_187 said:
Preordered 2 copies of Starcraft 2. Question: Is there any deal where you can share a game with your friend so instead of me paying full price for 2 copies, I can pay a bit less? :/
blizzard dosnt allow account sharing

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
shagg_187 said:
Preordered 2 copies of Starcraft 2. Question: Is there any deal where you can share a game with your friend so instead of me paying full price for 2 copies, I can pay a bit less? :/
I've been sharing accounts since the start of the beta, nothing happened so far.

mcrae

i keep crashing. can someone host this file for me to download and replace?

"Assets\Units\Terran\Ghost\Ghost.m3"

it would be greatly appreciated!

Spl1nter

Ice Monkey said:
jesus TAPDANCING christ! I've played likw 15 games of 10-way cannon defense and every single one is lost on the first-third level. Nobody has even the slightest clue how to block in a game like this.

Not being able to stack felt so weird. Not to mention I tried 3 games and all were lost instantly...

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
Corran Horn said:
HDH games being uploaded, not all there yet

Finals: IdrA vs WhiteRa
http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft

3rd Place: TheLittleOne v NonY
http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft

Nice! I'd seen the Finals, but not the Little One/NonY battle. Thanks for the links.

Finally felt safe enough to complete my placement matches. Somehow made it into Diamond, just about in time for the beta to be gone :(

Ah well. It'll be more enjoyable once school is done and out of the way.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GOM Season 4 was delayed (and still hasn't started) due to the fact that KeSPA put pressure on teams. No one signed up. (tmk)

Where is Blizzard getting this authority? Doesn't KeSPA have broadcast rights for SC I?

Also if margins drop I wouldn't be surprised if a sponsor or two dropped out.
With the scandal, info about player conditions, and everything recent I'm a bit worried what will happen to e-sports in korea.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ya GOM season 4 was canned due to lack of players since kespa barred people from joining.

It will be interesting to see what happens. It seems all of these leagues can continue via negotiations to Gomtv but I have no idea what are the laws in Korea for broadcasting stuff

Sloegr

Corran Horn said:
Ya GOM season 4 was canned due to lack of players since kespa barred people from joining.

It will be interesting to see what happens. It seems all of these leagues can continue via negotiations to Gomtv but I have no idea what are the laws in Korea for broadcasting stuff

Yeah, we just have to wait to see how this plays out. I'm worried more for Brood War than I am for Starcraft 2.

I liked what GOM was trying to do with their tournaments, so I hope this turns out for the best.

Zzoram

This is the end of an era. GomTV is great for English speaking fans, but it's still just an Internet stream. OGN/MBC were actual TV channels, and now they'll probably shut down this Fall and we can no longer say that Starcraft has 2 dedicated TV channels. Actually, OGN is probably safe because CJ owns them AND GomTV so they can probably just withdraw from KeSPA and join OGN with GomTV.

Zzoram

ElJuice said:
Yeah, we just have to wait to see how this plays out. I'm worried more for Brood War than I am for Starcraft 2.

I liked what GOM was trying to do with their tournaments, so I hope this turns out for the best.

Gom was apparently bad for Korean viewers but good for foreign ones (but really only because it had the option of a live English cast). OGN and MBC have much better Korean commentators and observers.

ultron87

Someone just tried to beat me by calling a fake "gg" and then hanging around building off a tiny base in the corner.

People got no respect for tradition anymore.

Maybe Starcraft 1 will continue to be dominated by Korean players, while Starcraft 2 is more global? I still don't think that Starcraft 1 will ever lose its dedicated fanbase.

Sloegr

Zzoram said:
Gom was apparently bad for Korean viewers but good for foreign ones (but really only because it had the option of a live English cast). OGN and MBC have much better Korean commentators and observers.

I liked that they reached out to the foreign community with an English cast. The GSI was the first BW tournament I watched, and I watched it because of the live English commentary. Aside from the GOM seasons, every BW match I've watched is with Korean commentary, and it doesn't bother me at all. I may never have started watching BW without GOM, though.

I'd hope that GOM does work to put their broadcast on the level of OGN and MBC. If they work out deals so that OGN and MBC can continue to broadcast Starcraft, that'd be even better.

lololololol

Drone Rush :lol

on LOST TEMPLE as well.

I don't think I lost a single probe.
:lol :lol :lol

I'm dying here

Maybe that was his plan, to get me to laugh myself to death and claim a victory
:lol

Is there ANY viable zerg response to mass carriers? Hydras get mowed like grass and infestors can't get close, even if there's a front line of stuff attacking.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corruptors mainly. Infestors to fungal the interceptors, Hydras for DPS/killing interceptors.
Keep in mind you need to still have a shitton of units if opponent has MASS carriers.

Sloegr

watervengeance said:
lololololol

Drone Rush :lol

on LOST TEMPLE as well.

I don't think I lost a single probe.
:lol :lol :lol

I'm dying here

Maybe that was his plan, to get me to laugh myself to death and claim a victory
:lol

I did about 10 SCV rush games last night for fun. Think I won 4 of them (against terribad players, mind you) and was completely slaughtered the other times.

Perhaps he just needed a laugh, too :D

FoxSpirit

Now, now, don't be scared people.

OGN and MBC will certainly continue, the people in there aren't stupid. There's good money to be had, only this time Blizzard will get it's share.

I also hope this shakedown will lead to somewhat better conditions for players. The report on the state of player lifes was dreadful.

iamblades

Zzoram said:

I'd imagine if GOM has the official SC 2 rights, then they will be able to improve to that level if SC2 catches on. Blizzard and GOM are going to have to step it up and put a lot of resources behind the game at first to ensure that happens though.

As for the Kespa situation, I don't know which way to go on this. On the one hand, Kespa was first, and they've created the most successful esport in the world. On the other, they were completely unwilling to compromise in any way, then they tried to fuck Blizzard over, first with the GomTV ban then with the ratings board shenanigans. So they got what they deserve in the end I guess.

I just hope it doesn't end up preventing SC2 from catching on.

FoxSpirit

iamblades said:
I'd imagine if GOM has the official SC 2 rights, then they will be able to improve to that level if SC2 catches on. Blizzard and GOM are going to have to step it up and put a lot of resources behind the game at first to ensure that happens though.

As for the Kespa situation, I don't know which way to go on this. On the one hand, Kespa was first, and they've created the most successful esport in the world. On the other, they were completely unwilling to compromise in any way, then they tried to fuck Blizzard over, first with the GomTV ban then with the ratings board shenanigans. So they got what they deserve in the end I guess.

I just hope it doesn't end up preventing SC2 from catching on.

I'm also certain Kespa is partially responsible for the horrible state most players actually linger in.
Whoever didn't read, delve into a world of "glory": http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=126075

fanboi

Banned
iamblades said:
Tanks on incineration zone = insta win pretty much..

:)

:|

Also, what is that map called... very short air distance (1v1 map) but Jesus H Christ long rush distance...

That map sucks, especially if you are zerg.

Slavik81

I keep losing my units when I play Zerg.

I mean, I'll literally lose them. They'll be in my base and it will be a where's waldo game to find them. Everything's a mash of brown, green and purple...

I clearly cannot play Zerg.

fanboi

Banned
Slavik81 said:

I mean, I'll literally lose them. They'll be in my base and it will be a where's waldo game to find them. Everything's a mash of brown, green and purple...

Rally units to one point.

Ctrl + click to select all units of the same type.

iamblades

Slavik81 said:

try turning your graphics settings down.

It makes everything way more high contrast so its easier to see what is what.

oh and that suggestion about rally points is good too..

Control group all your hatches and set a common rally.

Top Bottom