• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

fanboi said:
:|

Also, what is that map called... very short air distance (1v1 map) but Jesus H Christ long rush distance...

That map sucks, especially if you are zerg.

Scrap Station. I also noticed that some maps were taken out of the 1v1 pool, pretty sure it was this and Incineration Zone that were removed.

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
Scrap Station. I also noticed that some maps were taken out of the 1v1 pool, pretty sure it was this and Incineration Zone that were removed.

No not that one... you have two islands (hidden exp), one in the top left and one in the bottom right

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I play on all low settings on my MBP at native res and the game still looks oddly sexy. Everything is still very much readable.

I mean, I play more often than not on my PC with everything but textures on Ultra, but still...

Ashhong

i dont know about the islands, but is it blistering sands? i think thats the name, just saw a 1v1 map with short air distance and long rush distance on HDH finals, game 3 i think.

fanboi

Banned
Desert fucking oasis! Hate it.

I know which one you mean, pretty sure it is called Blistering sands. However from experience Zerg do rather well on that map since they can fast expand on it rather easily, even to the gold min.

One game a few patchs ago I sealed a zerg in his base, he used Overlords to expand to an island while I owned the map and had a ton of Hydra's / sporecrawlers there, and then started attacking my bases using a Nidus worm. It was insanely hard to overcome, I even made 2 motherships trying to get close.

Personally I feel that is one of zerg's strongest maps, even with the short air distance.

Desert Oasis is it

fanboi said:
No not that one... you have two islands (hidden exp), one in the top left and one in the bottom right

I know which one you mean, pretty sure it is called desert oasis. However from experience Zerg do rather well on that map since they can fast expand on it rather easily, even to the gold min.

One game a few patchs ago I sealed a zerg in his base, he used Overlords to expand to an island while I owned the map and had a ton of Hydra's / sporecrawlers there, and then started attacking my bases using a Nidus worm. It was insanely hard to overcome, I even made 2 motherships trying to get close.

Personally I feel that is one of zerg's strongest maps, even with the short air distance.

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
I know which one you mean, pretty sure it is called desert oasis. However from experience Zerg do rather well on that map since they can fast expand on it rather easily, even to the gold min.

Wait you changed the name of the map and keept the same tips?

Fast ex on Desert Oasis is horrible... since you have two highways into your FE, and it is one million miles away from your start position.

fanboi said:
Wait you changed the name of the map and keept the same tips?

Fast ex on Desert Oasis is horrible... since you have to highways into your FE, and it is one million miles away from your start position.

It is still a massive rush distance. If you can defend that you will pull ahead, but that is mainly vs protoss since Terrans can lift to gold/islands. Midgame on that map zerg is insanely hard to stop.

As for the change of map it was a mistaske, I was busy watching the HDH final thing and the map was Blistering sands, I changed it straight away once I realised :lol BTW the final was a best of 5 right?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
iamblades said:
try turning your graphics settings down.

It makes everything way more high contrast so its easier to see what is what.

Not... entirely. When the terrain detail is on the lowest settings, the creep is actually darker. This means it's actually harder to see units on creep.

Mardil

I've been playing a lot with all races lately, but just now I added ghosts to my strategy.
VS Protoss I'll EMP the shit out of their armies, against Zerg and Terran I'll do some sniper shots to marines and zerglings/hydras. I on a 6 games winning streak lol.

iamblades

ZealousD said:
Not... entirely. When the terrain detail is on the lowest settings, the creep is actually darker. This means it's actually harder to see units on creep.

Well I guess it depends on what units and what color you get.

I could see if you get purple or brown, all the other ones should be easier to see though.

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
It is still a massive rush distance. If you can defend that you will pull ahead, but that is mainly vs protoss since Terrans can lift to gold/islands. Midgame on that map zerg is insanely hard to stop.

As for the change of map it was a mistaske, I was busy watching the HDH final thing and the map was Blistering sands, I changed it straight away once I realised :lol BTW the final was a best of 5 right?

Yes massive rush distance, but if you play vs protoss thats no problems proxy pylon etc.

Still this map isn't zerg friendly (compared to other maps).

fanboi said:
Yes massive rush distance, but if you play vs protoss thats no problems proxy pylon etc.

Still this map isn't zerg friendly (compared to other maps).

If you scout to make sure you are not cheesed it is very good for the zerg since speedling runby's are insanely good on all the expansions (cept the island ones). Also Nydus worm is very powerful on that map once you get some anti air.

Zen

Banned
Hazaro said:
GOM Season 4 was delayed (and still hasn't started) due to the fact that KeSPA put pressure on teams. No one signed up. (tmk)

Where is Blizzard getting this authority? Doesn't KeSPA have broadcast rights for SC I?

Also if margins drop I wouldn't be surprised if a sponsor or two dropped out.
With the scandal, info about player conditions, and everything recent I'm a bit worried what will happen to e-sports in korea.

I know about the scandal, but what's this about player conditions?

ultron87 said:
Someone just tried to beat me by calling a fake "gg" and then hanging around building off a tiny base in the corner.

People got no respect for tradition anymore.

Are you Srex? That might have been me you were facing. :lol I didn't mean to lull you into a false sense of security, or anything, I just figured I'd keep playing even though the match was fairly easy to call.

If this wasn't you than kindly forget everything I just said. :lol

Tacitus_

I just got reaper "rushed" (six reapers so I repelled them with only losing a depot) and the enemy transitioned into defensive nukes. Lost some tanks and mining time since I was paranoid after spotting a medivac going into my base. Rolled him over after making sure there were no ghosts in my base.

What a weird game.

Zen

Banned
RE the Blizzard/GOMTV exclusive

Mike Morhaime's letter to Korean e-Sports fans
Source: Blizzard via Fomos

To everyone in the Korean Starcraft community,

There have been several recent events regarding Blizzard’s involvement in Korean e-Sports. I’d like to take this opportunity to explain our stance on the current situation, and Blizzard’s position and vision for the future of e-Sports. But before I begin, I need to clearly explain the relationship between Blizzard and the Korea e-Sports association, and why we made the decision to stop trying to negotiate with the KeSPA office as a partner.

In 2007, we were shocked and disappointed to learn that KeSPA had illegally sold the broadcasting rights for Starcraft tournaments without our consent. With this clear violation of our intellectual property rights, we were forced to become more actively involved in the situation and make our voice be heard. Even so, we began talks with KeSPA in good faith so we could find a way to protect our intellectual property rights as well as help e-Sports to grow further.

For the following three years, we tried very hard to have negotiations where we could correct a skewed situation and reach mutual understanding. However, during this process, what we learned was that KeSPA did not recognize our intellectual property rights, and that our suggestions even up to this day, echoed unheard while KeSPA offered no solutions of their own. Furthermore, the KeSPA office prevented progame teams or progamers from contacting Blizzard by threatening ‘disadvantages.’ Unlike the negative rumors you might have heard, Blizzard’s intention towards e-Sports is not to ‘dominate’ it and create excessive profits from it. From the beginning of the negotiations up to now, the basic framework we have thought of is one where e-Sports can continue to grow, while we can protect our intellectual property rights.

With the release of “Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty” approaching, we decided we could not delay any further in finding a trustworthy partner who respected our intellectual property rights, and decided it was time to find a new way altogether. As a result of that decision, we signed a contract with GomTV which we announced today, which gives them the exclusive rights to hold and broadcast Blizzard game tournaments in Korea. We have cooperated closely with GomTV in the past, and discovered in the process that we have similar values and goals in e-Sports. Also, we believe that GomTV is a capable partner with whom we can not only advance e-Sports in Korea, but in the entire world as well.

We are very proud that Starcraft contributed greatly to Korea becoming a global forerunner in e-Sports. We eagerly await the day when we can support progamers, or GomTV in their efforts to cooperate with the other broadcast companies in the world of e-Sports. We will continue to do our best for the development of e-Sports, and to that end we will improve the quality of matches and add features that will create competitive factors for the enjoyment of the audience. As always, we are deeply thankful for your understanding and support, and we are always open to your thoughts opinions.

Thank you,

Mike Morhaime

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=127674

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Hahahaa kespa.

The Nony vs TLO game was good but I'm pretty sure
Nony was done as soon as he let those lings into his base. He lost his nexus, lots of probes, and he didn't do anything to prevent more lings from running in on a regular basis. The phoenixes kept Nony in the game surprisingly long, but TLO really only needed to keep himself defended to win the game.

FoxSpirit said:
I'm also certain Kespa is partially responsible for the horrible state most players actually linger in.
Whoever didn't read, delve into a world of "glory": http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=126075
Interesting read, and I think more people should see this. I always worried in the back of my mind that Korean e-sports was about a bunch of suits making ridiculous amounts of money while giving kids the shaft because they don't know any better, and it sucks to see how true it is.

snack

But I wanna get pwned by Koreans. It's only natural to get destroyed in a game by people that treat StarCraft like a national sport, don't ya think? :D

webrunner

Akuun said:
Hahahaa kespa.

The Nony vs TLO game was good but I'm pretty sure
Nony was done as soon as he let those lings into his base. He lost his nexus, lots of probes, and he didn't do anything to prevent more lings from running in on a regular basis. The phoenixes kept Nony in the game surprisingly long, but TLO really only needed to keep himself defended to win the game.

Interesting read, and I think more people should see this. I always worried in the back of my mind that Korean e-sports was about a bunch of suits making ridiculous amounts of money while giving kids the shaft because they don't know any better, and it sucks to see how true it is.

There's this weird thing I've noticed in alot of pro games: very few of them have any sort of defense, most of the time they don't even wall off. I mean I understand there's a thought that if you're on the defensive then you've as good as lost, but guess what: if you don't have defense and they get into your base, then you've actually lost.

Mardil

Corran Horn said:
Not surprised. Beta is like that. Want an EU account? Buy a code to go along with your US Code/Client :/
PC games has changed in 12 years :(
Didn't know this, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Menelaus

Banned
On topic: I suck REALLY HARD at SCII, with little to no help at getting better. I haven't been this frustrated with an online experience in a long time.

Off topic: OH GOD I NEED THIS SOURCE
4157_33.gif

Ashhong

damn, my friends and i played too hard in placements and got put into platinum league 4v4, only to be destroyed the next 3-4 games by actual plat/diamond players :lol

lyndsey fonseca from kick-ass

webrunner said:
There's this weird thing I've noticed in alot of pro games: very few of them have any sort of defense, most of the time they don't even wall off. I mean I understand there's a thought that if you're on the defensive then you've as good as lost, but guess what: if you don't have defense and they get into your base, then you've actually lost.
Only Terran can wall off without having to break part of it down later to get out of their base. Nony did the best thing you can do, which is leave only a single matrix unblocked so that you can still get in and out while (ideally) hindering the enemy's access as much as possible. He even had a couple of clutch forcefields that stopped the lings, but it turned out to be delaying the inevitable. He just got outplayed in a big way in that game. He would also have been playing right into TLO's hands by allowing full map control if he did something like turtle up in his main with a bunch of cannons, which is exactly why you never see players dump a shitton of resources into static d in the early game -- especially against Zerg

Mardil said:
Didn't know this, but it doesn't bother me at all.
The problem is that it makes organizing tournaments difficult. Of course that isn't of any concern to the more casual players, but it's very possible that Starcraft 2 wouldn't be around without the driving force of the competitive scene. And then there's the fact that LAN will not be an option in retail, meaning that players will be required to purchase a second or even third key if they want to participate in any national tournament. It'll be really retarded if that is the state of things in retail (and to my knowledge, Blizzard has not confirmed this one way or the other). Much like their feud with KeSPA, it will be a decision that is 100% motivated by the potential cash flow

Chris R

I prefer losing my placement games so I get placed as low as possible and then work my way up to where I belong (Gold now that ever rank has been bumped up).

Deadly

OptimoPeach said:
The problem is that it makes organizing tournaments difficult. Of course that isn't of any concern to the more casual players, but it's very possible that Starcraft 2 wouldn't be around without the driving force of the competitive scene. And then there's the fact that LAN will not be an option in retail, meaning that players will be required to purchase a second or even third key if they want to participate in any national tournament. It'll be really retarded if that is the state of things in retail (and to my knowledge, Blizzard has not confirmed this one way or the other). Much like their feud with KeSPA, it will be a decision that is 100% motivated by the potential cash flow
Why would they have to buy another key for a tournament? The computers will have SC2 all you would need is your own account no?

Ashhong

Deadly said:
Why would they have to buy another key for a tournament? The computers will have SC2 all you would need is your own account no?

yea, and how is that different from having LAN? even with LAN you needed a key to install SC1 with. the only difference here is that you have to go through battle.nets server

PS: can someone please make a copy of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 Evolves? god i loved that game in SC1...all i see now are crappy Evolves maps that are full of glitches...

webrunner

OptimoPeach said:
Only Terran can wall off without having to break part of it down later to get out of their base. Nony did the best thing you can do, which is leave only a single matrix unblocked so that you can still get in and out while (ideally) hindering the enemy's access as much as possible. He even had a couple of clutch forcefields that stopped the lings, but it turned out to be delaying the inevitable. He just got outplayed in a big way in that game. He would also have been playing right into TLO's hands by allowing full map control if he did something like turtle up in his main with a bunch of cannons, which is exactly why you never see players dump a shitton of resources into static d in the early game -- especially against Zerg

But I mean- a lot of pro protoss don't even do the one-square door, and a lot of pro terrans don't wall off, and they always pay for it almost immediately.

And really, he was giving him full map control (to an almost unprecedented degree), because he had no defense and had to spend all his time chasing zerglings around.

Having even a token attempt (by the time he got his starports he could have used them to wall off the back with a couple of stalkers) to block the repeated zergling attacks would have gone quite a bit better.

FoxSpirit

Menelaus said:
On topic: I suck REALLY HARD at SCII, with little to no help at getting better. I haven't been this frustrated with an online experience in a long time.

Off topic: OH GOD I NEED THIS SOURCE
4157_33.gif

Post a replay, I'll gladly help out.

First pointer when watching a replay: did you ever seriously fall behind in resources? Did you ever sit on a huge pile of money when he attacked?
Those are the two most basic questions, if either of those two are yes, watch and learn. Third place would be scouting, did you have any clue he was building what he did. But I digress, post and I'll point stuff out :D

Deadly said:
Ashhong said:
yea, and how is that different from having LAN? even with LAN you needed a key to install SC1 with. the only difference here is that you have to go through battle.nets server
Because the key is tied to your Battle.net account, which in turn is tied to your regional server. If European and Asian players want to participate in something like WCG in the states, they'll need a US Battle.net account

Deadly

OptimoPeach said:
Because the key is tied to your Battle.net account, which in turn is tied to your regional server. If European and Asian players want to participate in something like WCG in the states, they'll need a US Battle.net account
Ah right..They really need to let us choose like in every other Blizzard game. We even had US East and US West!

FoxSpirit

OptimoPeach said:

No they don't because I have an US account and still get the Euro beta client. I think it tracks your location via IP.

webrunner said:
But I mean- a lot of pro protoss don't even do the one-square door, and a lot of pro terrans don't wall off, and they always pay for it almost immediately.

And really, he was giving him full map control (to an almost unprecedented degree), because he had no defense and had to spend all his time chasing zerglings around.

Having even a token attempt (by the time he got his starports he could have used them to wall off the back with a couple of stalkers) to block the repeated zergling attacks would have gone quite a bit better.
I can't recall TONS of PvZ's in SC2 where the Protoss didn't build at his ramp unless he was doing some kind of 2 gate rush or a proxy. Granted, that might just be because I tend to skip Protoss games in SC2 as they are incredibly boring to watch, but still.
It's also worth keeping in mind that mass speedlings isn't exactly standard play in PvZ. It's not as much of an issue past the first few minutes (in which case you can simply block with a couple zealots) if it's just mass hydras or something.

Also, it's not as critical to wall in with certain match-ups (for example, PvT and TvP, and absolutely never in TvT), and in those players sometimes prefer to slap stuff down closer to their CC/Nexus so as to minimize the mining time lost and simply poke around for any proxies or signs of rush when you first scout. There are also other factors that come into play, such as rush distance, or whether or not it's a 1v1 map.

FoxSpirit said:
No they don't because I have an US account and still get the Euro beta client. I think it tracks your location via IP.
lol then you probably were on eu.battle.net when you added your code to your account. For whatever reason people sometimes get routed to the wrong site when they just type "battle.net" into their address bar, and when the beta first launched there were TONS of threads on the support forums and TL with people saying, "I was redirected to the wrong battle.net site when I redeemed my code and now I'm stuck on x server."

And yes, once the code is redeemed, it is only good for a single region. Luckily this hasn't been as big of a deal with beta tournaments since foreign players can easily get their hands on multiple keys and make accounts for each server.

FoxSpirit

OptimoPeach said:
lol then you probably were on eu.battle.net when you added your code to your account. For whatever reason people sometimes get routed to the wrong site when they just type "battle.net" into their address bar, and when the beta first launched there were TONS of threads on the support forums and TL with people saying, "I was redirected to the wrong battle.net site when I redeemed my code and now I'm stuck on x server."

And yes, once the code is redeemed, it is only good for a single region. Luckily this hasn't been as big of a deal with beta tournaments since foreign players can easily get their hands on multiple keys and make accounts for each server.

us.battle.net
When I set up my new account for bnet 2.0 the Euro servers weren't even online. Day 1, bitches :D

Maybe there is a way around it but this is what happened to me.

Top Bottom