• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

How come I'm losing a game whenever there's a 5 minute server shutdown warning lol. This of course sets up a hilarious "stay alive for 5min" game, which I always win :lol

Sarye

thanks guys for the help against T. I think it was one of those things where I was just in panic mode and couldn't think of what to do against so many siege tanks. I've forgotten just how powerful immortals are against armored units.

The composition is usually tanks + vikings + M so going air to counter definitely isn't the way to go.

So I guess I should throw down another robo and chrono boost as many immortals as I can with a composition of zealots/sentries/stalkers depending on what they have?

-COOLIO- said:
by the time the hatch was made, i had no units for attacking. i would of had to block it with an scv. and keeping an scv out every game for just that reason is kind of silly.

and hatches are 350 minerals

Not scouting at all was a bad idea, you did not have to stop the hatchery, just the drones becoming spinecrawlers at it which you would had plenty of time todo if you did not hide behind your wall.

If you had scouted you could of made a bunker right next to it before creep appeared, then sent units in to block it off completely. This is a strat that is as silly as Queen rushing, and works just as often.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ChronicleX said:
In short - Fail rush. It would of made more sense to make two queens, sending the first across the map to make creep tumors near the base to plant SpineCrawlers, with the hatch a little further away.
also, you can plant tumors off of creep?

i think because of the queens slow speed off of creep, making a hatch in the opponents natural is still better but i'll try both methods.

i wanna try this against some terrans to see how they counter it when the server goes back up

by the way, pyro i was just thinking about super blood bath and i think you need a standard amount of minerals at each nat and maybe even that 3 mineral 1 gas setup in each middle area for 6v6. 6v6 is sure to last long so i dont think a scarce nat like are already setup is a great idea, no matter if its true to the original. with scarce nat and two rich nats for each side, 4 people are bound to get pissed on each side when two people take the rich nats and theres nothing for the other four on each team to grab.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Jokey665 said:
Drones are 50 minerals. Hatcheries are 300 minerals. This does not make Hatcheries 350 minerals, please do not spread misinformation.
when commentators talking about hatch cost, they usually refer to the cost as 350 minerals.

besides i doubt misinformation is going to be an issue when people who play the game probably check the cost of things they make

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sarye said:
I'm sure this is answered already but how does one fight off siege tanks? Like.. alot of them? I've heard strategies from getting phoenixes and lifting them... to getting zealots with charge. Usually the opponent's composition is MM + siege with vikings supporting.

The issue for me is that I usually go quick robo but when I scout a factory, it's almost too late to switch to stargate as the economy doesn't support both a robo and stargate.

I hate to change my strategy drastically anyway as it destroys my unit composition.

So what should I do? research charge and go heavy zealots + sentry + immortals?

I'm terrible at micro too so I guess that's a huge part of it.
You are mostly correct. You need a few sentries to use guardian shield to greatly reduce marine damage. You need a few forcefields to make things a bit easier for your zealots (with charge). You need the immortals to move foward to take the brunt of tank hits. You need a few zealots with charge to be damage sinks nad possibly try to target any tanks in the back. Then you need collosi or templar with storm to decimate the marines (imo storm is much much better for this) while making sure you have enough immortals + zealots to clean up the remaining tanks.

Of course since a mech army is mostly immobile the best bet is to not attack head on and use some pylons / warp prisms to harass and flank the terran army.

JWong

Banned
Man, no word on when it's up too.

Does anyone know where to put custom maps? I'm trying to get a game of big game hunters working, but the client doesn't read it anywhere I put it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ChronicleX said:
Not scouting at all was a bad idea, you did not have to stop the hatchery, just the drones becoming spinecrawlers at it which you would had plenty of time todo if you did not hide behind your wall.

If you had scouted you could of made a bunker right next to it before creep appeared, then sent units in to block it off completely. This is a strat that is as silly as Queen rushing, and works just as often.
a bunker might work.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
thestopsign said:
Just won my first Diamond league game (now 1-3). I basically won because of units placed at a Xelnaga tower, saw that he had a large force coming and immediately started creating units and spine crawlers to bolster my defense. Probably would have lost to that push if I hadn't seen it coming.
grats and good job

Cru Jones said:
So I take it you were "that guy" at LAN parties :p

actually not at all. I was just speaking from a "recently played impossible skirmishes against the computer on all the C&Cs and realized why i liked starcraft so much more" perspective.

It didn't help that when you make a big 8 player ffa in red alert or the original C&Cs, every enemy teams up against you like starcraft melee mode. They even act like they arent but of course as soon as each of your 7 enemies get ion cannons, guess who they hit with it even without having line of sight? that's right, your radar building as soon as it's ever built/rebuilt.

additional rage-inducing feature: radar buildings supply your minimap.

JWong said:
Man, no word on when it's up too.

Does anyone know where to put custom maps? I'm trying to get a game of big game hunters working, but the client doesn't read it anywhere I put it.

you cant as far as i know. the only way to play custom maps is to go to create game and search for whatever map you'd like. Either that or if you can get a map you downloaded and are allowed to publish it, then you publish it yourself using the editor.

-COOLIO- said:

i think because of the queens slow speed off of creep, making a hatch in the opponents natural is still better but i'll try both methods.

i wanna try this against some terrans to see how they counter it when the server goes back up

You cannot make tumors off creep, but you could start a hatch then cancel it to use the creep it generators to spawn a tumor I think. If that works you could then spawn tumors off that small creep patch, allowing you to use the 300 min on the spinecrawlers instead.

I'm actually gonna give this a try now.

Edit-

Ok I will not, it seems like EU is down. Darn it, I thought you was refering to the US servers :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ChronicleX said:
You cannot make tumors off creep, but you could start a hatch then cancel it to use the creep it generators to spawn a tumor I think. If that works you could then spawn tumors off that small creep patch, allowing you to use the 300 min on the spinecrawlers instead.

A better idea is to planet a creep tumor in the middle of overlord poop.

JoeMartin

Jokey665 said:
Drones are 50 minerals. Hatcheries are 300 minerals. This does not make Hatcheries 350 minerals, please do not spread misinformation.

Well considering that the drone is consumed in the creation of the hatch, yes, putting up a new hatch does in fact cost you 350 minerals. Please do not spread misinformation.

-COOLIO- said:

No, but you can use the Overlords to spawn creep and then put the creep tumor in there. But with a rush/cheese strategy like this it probably won't work because you need a Lair first.

Jokey665

JoeMartin said:
Well considering that the drone is consumed in the creation of the hatch, yes, putting up a new hatch does in fact cost you 350 minerals. Please do not spread misinformation.
Look at the tooltip for Hatchery and tell me how many minerals it costs. Also realize that the drone probably earned well over 50 minerals before you turned it into a hatch.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Jokey665 said:
Look at the tooltip for Hatchery and tell me how many minerals it costs. Also realize that the drone probably earned well over 50 minerals before you turned it into a hatch.
and you probably paid 50 minerals to replace it because it DIED

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Lag in unbearable. Played a 2v2 and partner dropped so I cannon + reaper rushed and teched to banshees. Before I could one enemy dropped, then we exchanged lag every 3 seconds until the other guy left.

Opiate

I'm experiencing a different issue. I can get in to BNet, and everything seems smooth when I'm just in the base interface. As soon as I join a game (I've tried 2v2 and FFA), everyone is lagging, with perhaps 5-10 FPS because it seems to rotate with me dropping, then another person, then another, until all of us are at ~30 seconds of good will til we are auto-disconnected. I gave up both times and left.

Lag in unbearable. Played a 2v2 and partner dropped so I cannon + reaper rushed and teched to banshees. Before I could one enemy dropped, then we exchanged lag every 3 seconds until the other guy left.

Yes, this is approximately what I'm getting. I'm not getting auto dropped by BNet before getting in to a game, I'm simply lagging ridiculously (along with all my team mates and opponents) so that gameplay is unbearable.

Opiate said:
I'm experiencing a different issue. I can get in to BNet, and everything seems smooth when I'm just in the base interface. As soon as I join a game (I've tried 2v2 and FFA), everyone is lagging, with perhaps 5-10 FPS because it seems to rotate with me dropping, then another person, then another, until all of us are at ~30 seconds of good will til we are auto-disconnected. I gave up both times and left.

Yes, this is approximately what I'm getting. I'm not getting auto dropped by BNet before getting in to a game, I'm simply lagging ridiculously (along with all my team mates and opponents) so that gameplay is unbearable.

What a great last week of beta!! Actually speaking of.. is it still ending this weekend or is it pushed back?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
god dammit. My gaming time has been going almost exclusively to Red Dead and beta is ending in a matter of days. Fuck you Finals/Graduation!

I think I'm going through withdrawls.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Wow, all the lag just granted me with a game breaking glitch, for this entire last game, my resources didn't seem to fluctuate, then I noticed I could make as many units as I wanted at no cost.

It was hard NOT to cheat that game, because I had no idea how many resources I actually had.

Zertez

Zzoram said:
Learn to scout. If you scout a cheese early, it almost always guarantees you the win if you respond accordingly. That's why it's called an all-in, there is a huge risk associated with it, and if it doesn't work, they're almost certainly going to lose.
I scout it and Im ready for it, it is just makes for a very boring game when that is the majority of your games. You scout the early push, prepare, have a short fight with tier 1 units and wipe the floor with their army, and then make your push to win. It is normally over in less than 5 minutes and you dont even have a chance to get to more interesting units/techs/tiers etc. You get wins, but it is extremely boring. I would rather lose a fun game, than win a short all-in cheese game. I was close to moving up to Platinum before the patch and with the disconnects/cheese it is tough to log on play ladder games right now. Im sure I will get slaughtered in Diamond at first, but it will be fun to play against new strategies and good players. Insane AI program isnt great, but at least it mixes things up to counter you and you get to try things out, besides a cheese rush.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Kinitari said:
Wow, all the lag just granted me with a game breaking glitch, for this entire last game, my resources didn't seem to fluctuate, then I noticed I could make as many units as I wanted at no cost.

It was hard NOT to cheat that game, because I had no idea how many resources I actually had.
that is AWESOME

i would mass ghosts

DaFish

Hazaro said:

except it dropped me, mother f'er!

Kinitari said:

Replay! :lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
I did my placement matches ang got put in Platinum....:lol

Way hard now wtf....:lol I'm losing in the first 5 mins to all in players... :(

Effect

Ugh. I hope they fix these bugs. The last three wins I had didn't even register. Yet my loses went up right away.

Been playing Protoss for the last few games. Yup don't like them. Even though I won as them. It seemed so much easier playing as them compared to Terran. Zerg is a bit easier but not as easy as Protoss.

DaFish

Ice Monkey said:
guys art of defense is very fun, for 6 players but i think you may need a good computer for it. Anyone wanna get a game going?
I think I played that one, needless to say I got fucked up...

DaFish

ZealousD said:
A better idea is to planet a creep tumor in the middle of overlord poop.
If I was to use Overload poop, make a spine crawler on the poop, and then my overlord gets killed... what happens to the spine crawler?

JWong

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
guys art of defense is very fun, for 6 players but i think you may need a good computer for it. Anyone wanna get a game going?
I'm playing it, but someone either lags or leaves.

Opiate

Yep, playing isn't really worth it right now.

I've gotten a couple of good games in in the last three days. That's perhaps 2 hours of quality play, out of 4-5 hours of attempts.

Only playing 40-50% of the time I spend simply isn't worth it. I'll wait until it's fixed, whether that be during the beta, at launch, or thereafter.

DaFish said:
If I was to use Overload poop, make a spine crawler on the poop, and then my overlord gets killed... what happens to the spine crawler?

I believe it dies slowly without creep like all zerg buildings.

Course, you can easily move another overlord there to crap all over it, or unroot the crawlers and run them back.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DaFish said:

Overlord poop. Planet creep tumor in poop. Remove overlord. Place spine crawler.

Top Bottom