• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yeah I haven't even finished fixing my botched placement between 1v1s with friends and all the UMS. Nice to see so many of the classics are already ported. I loooooooove Sunken D, but I sure wish I could get into a game that lasts past the first 5 levels. Cat n Mouse sucks, though :(

FoxSpirit said:
us.battle.net
When I set up my new account for bnet 2.0 the Euro servers weren't even online. Day 1, bitches :D

Maybe there is a way around it but this is what happened to me.
Magic? lol. I dunno. Either way, these days that is not the case. See the "Starcraft 2 multiplayer is region-locked" article posted on the last page that started this discussion in the first place.

Blizzard's VP of product development, Frank Pearce, has confirmed to IncGamers that there are no current plans to let EU players play against NA players unless they buy the game in that region as well.

Olivero

OptimoPeach said:
Yeah I haven't even finished fixing my botched placement between 1v1s with friends and all the UMS. Nice to see so many of the classics are already ported. I loooooooove Sunken D, but I sure wish I could get into a game that lasts past the first 5 levels. Cat n Mouse sucks, though :(

Cat n Mouse is a truly glorious game. Can't wait for a true adaptation.

Deadly

Blizzard's VP of product development, Frank Pearce, has confirmed to IncGamers that there are no current plans to let EU players play against NA players unless they buy the game in that region as well.
On the bright side, with the lag that we're experiencing with people from our own region, I can't imagine how horrible it would be if it's with someone from Europe/Asia.

Ashhong said:
are there no lurkers in the map editor? i want my lurker defense too! lurker d, sniper paintball, and evolves is all i need.

I dont have a source but I seem to recall blizzard saying somewhere that all the original SC/BW units as well as units from the singleplayer campaign would be available in the editor. Probably will come out with the final release, as I imagine they dont want to give away spoilers just yet that could be gleaned from having all the special units in the editor. Also it makes the beta download smaller.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ashhong said:
are there no lurkers in the map editor? i want my lurker defense too! lurker d, sniper paintball, and evolves is all i need.

EVOLVES is already readily available. A little rough but it's Evolves.

Zzoram

The worst part about the lag is that it doesn't need to be this way. ICCUP hosted a clone Battle.net for all the competitive players after the Broodwar official Ladder was long gone and it had LAN latency, far better than Battle.net

Why doesn't Blizzard just ask them how they did it?

Zzoram said:

It is not a case of "how they did it" because they did not do anything. All bnet 1.0 RTS games have a forced latency of 250. Blizzard can set that value to anything they want but as time went on tools came out to bypass the forced latency of bnet, by hosting games through LAN mode at first then altering the values in the games memory. All games hosted through Ghost++ on WC3 can have latency go as low as 50ms if the host can support it.

Blizzard has not changed 1.0 latency because it saw no need to, old system uses old values. That is why Bnet 2.0 has lower latency as it takes into account the internet connections of today, not because blizzard "did not know how." :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
The worst part about the lag is that it doesn't need to be this way. ICCUP hosted a clone Battle.net for all the competitive players after the Broodwar official Ladder was long gone and it had LAN latency, far better than Battle.net

Isn't Iccup very close to a direct connection?
bNet needs to be hosting, the lag for me is pretty good, you can tell there's some unit delay but not THAT noticible.
*To my knowledge ping minimum is 125ms right now for SC II, might be a tad lower.

Hazaro said:
Isn't Iccup very close to a direct connection?
bNet needs to be hosting, the lag for me is pretty good, you can tell there's some unit delay but not THAT noticible.

Once a game on Bnet 1.0 has started, you can be disconnected from it and have the game still continue. Only the hosted game is done through bnet (and the whisper, etc functions), it is just when the game was released many years ago (same with SC1) the latency was set to a value we now call high because back then everyone's internet connections were shit.

The only reason it has not been changed is it would effect people who still play the game with shit connections, it would alienate customers who have bought the game. With a new game + new values, if people with shit net/PC buy SCII it is their own fault and they cannot complain about lagging.

I wouldn't be surprised if the latency for SCII is 100ms or maybe even less. I am pretty sure it now uses a system similar to what Ghost++ uses where there is a latency limit. Only the lagger lags but if the lagger lags too much then the game pauses while they resync.

Tacitus_

fanboi said:
No one is a layout pro for websites that have a lot of spare time? :|

I can do something with Dreamweaver but you're better off buying a premade layout. That's what they even told me in our HTML class .-.

fanboi

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
I can do something with Dreamweaver but you're better off buying a premade layout. That's what they even told me in our HTML class .-.

Well, just need basic now in the beginning. To test stuff then more advance.

EDIT: If you like to know info regarding the project PM me, we are 4-5 right now.

It is SC2 related of course :)

Ashhong

ZealousD said:
EVOLVES is already readily available. A little rough but it's Evolves.

i want an exact marvel vs capcom replica, is that too much to ask :D

but even the regular evolves is pretty much unplayable. they all suck..

raphier

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
Something about there being good and cheap premades so you're better off buying one and then tinkering with it to get your own look.

E: not to mention the free ones

In your dreams. Our team may do twice much more complicated for free than a layout.
Nice try, though :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
longdi said:
btw when does the beta ends?
Goes on hiatus on the 31st.

Also reminder for everyone:

1AM Saturday PST [ MSL Grand Finals ] [Number 1 vs Number 2] [Terran[Flash] vs Zerg[Jaedong]]
1z2q7vs.jpg

If that is not your thing there is the:

11AM Saturday PST [ TL Altitude Invitational ]
2n88w3a.jpg

w9g2gk.png

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=127046

Oh man this will be awesome.
I'm really really excited to watch how Tester plays.

The replays will be cast by Day[9] and Chill on Saturday, May 29 11:00am PDT.

Bo3's then Bo5's. $600, $300, $200, $100 to be won.

White-Ra is a Ukrainian StarCraft: Brood War top player who is very active and successful in StarCraft 2 tournaments.

IdrA needs no introduction. He is a pro-gamer and the first official SC2 pro on CJ Entus. A polarizing figure in the community, IdrA is well known for his skill and for his demeanor.

TheLittleOne is a new Liquid team member who is popular for his innovative builds and creative play, particularly for a game involving nukes and battlecruisers.

Tester is a former progamer and coach for the Korean team eStro. He is recognized by many as one of the best Asia Protoss players at the moment, and is currently an SC2 progamer. Check out an interview with him by Artosis here

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My weekend sorted.

To those in the know, would there be any way to patch the client to play the ai offline? I know the ai is terrible but id like to be able to practice some builds and improve some speed during the months off.

Also any way to view replays offline?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Sounds like a good way to spend Friday night.

I think you might be able to view replays offline by dragging the replay file into your sc2 exe file but I've never tried it before.

Ok.. how the fuck do you deal with Void Rays. Every fucking protoss player I play just rushes with Void Rays. It's ridiculous. I play as Terran, but seriously.. this game still needs balancing issues.

robochimp

Dabookerman said:
Ok.. how the fuck do you deal with Void Rays. Every fucking protoss player I play just rushes with Void Rays. It's ridiculous. I play as Terran, but seriously.. this game still needs balancing issues.

Marines

Vaporak

Dabookerman said:

The game is balanced just fine, certainly better than most RTS's are at release. Just build marines or vikings and you'll tear void rays to pieces.

Akuun

Dabookerman said:

I'd like to know this as well, because my friend's been having trouble dealing with void rays as Terran (we're gold/platinum rank in 1v1/2v2 but are a bit lacking in experience). As Protoss I just push early before he has too many of them or macro and then get void rays of my own, but I'm not sure how a Terran deals with it. Marines are not a great choice because they melt to charged VRs pretty easily, and pumping void rays usually allows for enough leftover minerals to get lots of zealots. I've been suggesting that he try Vikings but it would help to get some perspective from other Terran players.

Tacitus_

Akuun said:
I'd like to know this as well, because my friend's been having trouble dealing with void rays as Terran (we're gold/platinum rank in 1v1/2v2 but are a bit lacking in experience). As Protoss I just push early before he has too many of them or macro and then get void rays of my own, but I'm not sure how a Terran deals with it. Marines are not a great choice because they melt to charged VRs pretty easily, and pumping void rays usually allows for enough leftover minerals to get lots of zealots. I've been suggesting that he try Vikings but it would help to get some perspective from other Terran players.

Combined army of marines and vikings and try to catch them where they can't abuse cliffs and aren't charged up.

mbmonk

Dabookerman said:

One suggested method is Marine + Ghost. This method was put forth by Greptorp. Check out the first episode here:
http://darkrevival.com/gretorp/#

Definitely check out his explination (the topic is covered in both episode 1 + 2 so watch both). It will give you far more insight into the subtler details of marine + ghost and how you can use it for more than keeping VR in check.

Short Version:
If you are talking about VR harrass, basically you walk over your marine and ghosts as close a possible to the VR, if the void ray doesn't leave, then EMP it and use the marines to kill it. More than likely though the VR will leave, and thus will not be able to charge his beam to do real damage.

EMP against Protoss is pretty nasty speaking from a low level Protoss players point of view. If I clump my ground units I get punished HARD by EMP. If I try to VR harrass I get shutdown by EMP. If I use immortals then EMP removes their shields, but more importantly removes the 'harden shield' effect that reduces damage from tanks, etc. So EMP is pretty nasty, worth testing out if you haven't done so yet. Forgot that EMP drains spell casters of their energy as well. Seems like a very versatile spell.

DaFish

Hazaro said:
Goes on hiatus on the 31st.

Also reminder for everyone:

1AM Saturday PST [ MSL Grand Finals ] [Number 1 vs Number 2] [Terran[Flash] vs Zerg[Jaedong]]
http://i45.tinypic.com/1z2q7vs.jpg

If that is not your thing there is the:

11AM Saturday PST [ TL Altitude Invitational ]
http://i49.tinypic.com/2n88w3a.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/w9g2gk.png

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=127046

Oh man this will be awesome.
I'm really really excited to watch how Tester plays.

The replays will be cast by Day[9] and Chill on Saturday, May 29 11:00am PDT.

Bo3's then Bo5's. $600, $300, $200, $100 to be won.

White-Ra is a Ukrainian StarCraft: Brood War top player who is very active and successful in StarCraft 2 tournaments.

IdrA needs no introduction. He is a pro-gamer and the first official SC2 pro on CJ Entus. A polarizing figure in the community, IdrA is well known for his skill and for his demeanor.

TheLittleOne is a new Liquid team member who is popular for his innovative builds and creative play, particularly for a game involving nukes and battlecruisers.

Tester is a former progamer and coach for the Korean team eStro. He is recognized by many as one of the best Asia Protoss players at the moment, and is currently an SC2 progamer. Check out an interview with him by Artosis here
Got the links to the Streams?

Effect

Is there any benefit from sticking to Gateways over Warpgates? I get the feeling there could be but haven't tried it and can't clearly see one at the moment.

Akuun

Thanks guys. He's more worried about dealing with their harassment because the void rays usually have had a chance to charge up by the time his army comes back to defend. I remember him mentioning that he had trouble cutting through their shields, so EMP would definitely help.

Pandaman said:
whoa, wait.

so flash is getting merced by a zerg again, tonight? as in 17ish hours from now?
Yup. And it's against Jaedong, too. These two have met up at tournament finals plenty of times, and they've always been good matches because these two are currently the best players of their race.

I just hope the people who put this together actually use UPSes this time. There was one final between these two where a game was interrupted halfway through because of a power failure.

mbmonk

Effect said:
Is there any benefit from sticking to Gateways over Warpgates? I get the feeling there could be but haven't tried it and can't clearly see one at the moment.

From my limited view there isn't really a reason to stay with gateways over warpgates.

There are two possible reasons to stay with gateways.
1) You units are not vulnerable to attack while warping in.
2) If you are a low level player you can queue up units (this is actually a bad thing) with a gateway, instead of having to remember to constantly warp units in. So it's a little easier for low level players.

The upsides to warpgate, in my mind, far outweigh the one very minor downside. The overall flexibility it gives you is pretty significant.

Effect said:

You can queue units, that is it. However that is not an advantage since you do NOT want to queue units anyway. The only reason gateways do not start out as warp gates is balance, the second you can get the tech there is no reason not to get it.

mbmonk said:
One suggested method is Marine + Ghost. This method was put forth by Greptorp. Check out the first episode here:
http://darkrevival.com/gretorp/#

Definitely check out his explination (the topic is covered in both episode 1 + 2 so watch both). It will give you far more insight into the subtler details of marine + ghost and how you can use it for more than keeping VR in check.

Short Version:
If you are talking about VR harrass, basically you walk over your marine and ghosts as close a possible to the VR, if the void ray doesn't leave, then EMP it and use the marines to kill it. More than likely though the VR will leave, and thus will not be able to charge his beam to do real damage.

EMP against Protoss is pretty nasty speaking from a low level Protoss players point of view. If I clump my ground units I get punished HARD by EMP. If I try to VR harrass I get shutdown by EMP. If I use immortals then EMP removes their shields, but more importantly removes the 'harden shield' effect that reduces damage from tanks, etc. So EMP is pretty nasty, worth testing out if you haven't done so yet. Forgot that EMP drains spell casters of their energy as well. Seems like a very versatile spell.

I completely forgot about EMP x_x.. I will certainly give it a shot.

mbmonk

Akuun said:
Thanks guys. He's more worried about dealing with their harassment because the void rays usually have had a chance to charge up by the time his army comes back to defend. I remember him mentioning that he had trouble cutting through their shields, so EMP would definitely help.

Make sure to have him watch the Greptorp episodes. The Marine + Ghost opening is seemed to me to be a more defensive stance early, so you won't be pushing out very far with your army early.

They nerfed the VR range from 7 to 6. So now I think it has equal range to the turret and even bunkers can be used defensively now. But you might want to double check the range on turrents and bunkered marines to be sure.

Also maybe a sensor tower or two placed properly to cover the normal VR harras path ( Back left and back right side of your base)? It might alert you to a VR harass so you could get your army back in time???

I just played the beta now and i am pretty impressed that the game even ran on my 6 year old Compaq. It was on the lowest graphics settings, but it ran. I still need to upgrade my computer, but I am pretty happy that I can play the game at least a little bit .

Top Bottom