• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Beta extends to June 7th
We previously announced that the first phase of the StarCraft II beta test would be coming to a close in all regions on Monday, May 31. In order to prepare for the final phase of beta testing, we plan to extend the current phase in all regions until Monday, June 7. After this date, the beta test will be unavailable for several weeks while we make some hardware and software configuration changes for the final phase of the beta test and the release of the game. We plan to bring the beta test back online for a couple of weeks prior to the game’s launch to complete our testing. We’ll have more details to share about when this final phase will begin at a later date.

We’d like to thank all of our beta-test participants for your enthusiasm, dedication, and valuable feedback during the beta test, and we look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the StarCraft II beta test as the game’s July 27 launch approaches.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25135304348&sid=5000

Corran Horn

Also an Idra interview, was interesting read
http://www.fragster.de/artikel/1485...ds-idra-ive-disliked-alot-of-the-changes_sc2/

edit: also a blizzard interview
http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/270/blizzards-frank-pearce-interview
only part that intersted me really was:
Another thing I thought you'd promised was chat rooms within Battle.net...

Nope. No plans for specific chat rooms at this time. You'll be able to open up chats direct with your friends, and when we add clans and groups there'll be chats for your clans and groups, but no specific plans for chat rooms right now. Do you really want chat rooms?

StarCraft 2Loads of people within the community are wanting Looking For Group chat rooms, and that sort of thing.

Well, if we've done our job right in terms of the matchmaking service, then hopefully they won't feel like they'll need it for that service.
Chat rooms are either never coming or gonna take ages it seems :(

Yaweee

No chat rooms is among the most retarded things Blizzard has ever done. It's as dumb as something I'd expect from Nintendo.

Corran Horn said:

Terrible, terrible interview. Frank Pearce sounds like an idiot.

First off, do you have anything new for us on Battle.net?
Depends on what you know on Battle.net!

Well, is there anything on the horizon that you haven't talked about up to this point?
I don't think so. Not at this point. We've got a street date of 27 July set for StarCraft 2, and I think pretty much everything that you guys are going to see coming 27 July has already been talked about pretty extensively.
Some great PR there, Frank...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Corran Horn said:
Also an Idra interview, was interesting read
http://www.fragster.de/artikel/1485...ds-idra-ive-disliked-alot-of-the-changes_sc2/

it's surprising how any features are "still in the oven" and may come after release. sc2 hasn't exactly been rushed to the market.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How would you rate the first patches Blizzard published? Did they make improvements?

IdrA: I've really disliked a lot of the balance changes Blizzard is making, actually. It feels to me like they've been balancing matchups by making one race overpowered early game, and the other overpowered late game. This made lead to a balanced win rate but it creates terrible game quality, and in the long term it'll be imbalanced as people get a better feel for early game defensive timings.
I agree very very much with this. Also with his statement of near perfect macro being 'too easy', but that hopefully will lead to more micro.

Dabookerman said:
I completely forgot about EMP x_x.. I will certainly give it a shot.
Do it. If you have average-to-decent macro and timing then you should totally roll Protoss doing nothing but 1a2a3a with rax units until you hit high plat and diamond, where P players start to wise up and abuse psistorm + cliffs.

I've tried the increasingly popular 1/1/1 for TvP, but I really like Gretorp's opener better because you can get your natural up so much sooner. I think that instead of slapping down 3-4 more rax when I secure my natural I might try transitioning into ghost mech from there. Dunno how that will go, though. I love the mobility of going heavy rax, but ghost mech is just soooo strong once you get the positioning down

Cheeto

Corran Horn said:
WTF is this...shit like this makes me worry about this game in the long run. I mean, every single RTS game I've played for as long as I can remember had chat rooms... and people took full advantage of them, I can't believe this guy would downplay them like that.

Won

Cheeto said:
WTF is this...shit like this makes me worry about this game in the long run. I mean, every single RTS game I've played for as long as I can remember had chat rooms... and people took full advantage of them, I can't believe this guy would downplay them like that.

Dawn of War 2 doesn't have chat rooms. One of many reasons why I hate that game. :(

Problem seems that the B.net 2.0 team seems pretty incompetent. The beta runs now long enough to have the group rooms, which would satisfy most of the people.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
StarCraft 2Loads of people within the community are wanting Looking For Group chat rooms, and that sort of thing.

Well, if we've done our job right in terms of the matchmaking service, then hopefully they won't feel like they'll need it for that service.
Yeah because finding a practice partner over the internet is all kinds of fun.
Not like you could make League chat, division chat, general etc.

Or maybe if you wanted to talk to someone but didn't want to friend them!
Incredible

Hard to believe the MP team sometimes.

Yaweee said:
No chat rooms is among the most retarded things Blizzard has ever done. It's as dumb as something I'd expect from Nintendo.

Agreed. I am pretty pissed off at this too. I mean they perfected it on Bnet 1.0 with WC3, how can they not include something they perfected over 6 years ago maybe more... I forget when WC3 was released.

Won

Deadly said:
So these guys have coaches? The notion of esports gets funnier and funnier every time I learn more about it :lol

Why? If anything not having coaches would make esports a joke.

Corran Horn

The Lamonster said:
This chat room thing is quite troubling. Blizzard, you've had like 12 years. Get this right.
Its so funny that they want to make battle.net 2.0 the ultimate community system for their game yet they make it so Fing hard to talk to people in masses :lol

Just gonna need an outside source like forums/irc chat to solve it :(

FoxSpirit

Hazaro said:
I agree very very much with this. Also with his statement of near perfect macro being 'too easy', but that hopefully will lead to more micro.

Well, he also said "when people become more used to early game timings". And it's currently a bit "balancing by ear" that Blizz does, taking into account what near perfect timing will do. Will it be correct? Hell no, that's impossible.

Also, we have two expansions coming down. If each of them adds one unit to a race we will only start to see a "perfect balance attempt" at that point. Of course people will somewhat complain about abalnce throughout year one but hey, year 2 will bring some new unit(s) to fill important holes that became obvious in season one.

I think in the end it will be big but I don't expect great success from the get go.

Milabrega

MisterAnderson said:
Whiplash from vT on TL is hosting a custom game 1v1 tourney for Diamond players. He asked to use Lotus Prime for one of the maps in the rotation so that's pretty cool, although he renamed it to "Space Valley" due to the fact that I had my version published as "Lotus Prime" and he rebalanced it for 1v1 play.

Nice. Watching now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The decision to not include chatrooms, and what seems like Blizzard's ignorance towards the demand for chatrooms troubles me.

mescalineeyes said:
to a scrub like me, totally.

Things to do against this is High Templar feedback, and also making sure that your forces are spread out to make it harder to EMP your entire army. Also Phoenix's are surprisingly effective at sniping Ghosts by lifting them and picking them off. It's also pretty much essential IMO to enable unit health bars as being ALWAYS on because you can see Ghosts a lot easier by spotting the purple energy bar among a bio army.

MisterAnderson said:
Things to do against this is High Templar feedback, and also making sure that your forces are spread out to make it harder to EMP your entire army. Also Phoenix's are surprisingly effective at sniping Ghosts by lifting them and picking them off. It's also pretty much essential IMO to enable unit health bars as being ALWAYS on because you can see Ghosts a lot easier by spotting the purple energy bar among a bio army.
That last part is especially great advice seeing as everything is just one big blob of indistinguishable infantry if you're playing with somewhat high graphics settings

I think EMP should be given to the Raven or something. It's far too easy for Terran to use EMP against Protoss, but much harder for Protoss to feedback/kill the ghost. It's even worse if the Ghost had cloak on.

EMP used to be:
- on the Science Vessel
- had to be researched
- cost 100 energy instead of 75

Ghosts are also much cheaper than the Science Vessel. So holy crap, they buffed EMP so much. I'm sure someone can correct me, but the only difference is the AoE effect is smaller, but units bunch up so easily making this pretty insignificant.

watervengeance said:
I think EMP should be given to the Raven or something. It's far too easy for Terran to use EMP against Protoss, but much harder for Protoss to feedback the ghost. Even worse if the ghost has cloak on. EMP was on the Science Vessel before, which made it very easy to snipe.

that sounds about right.

I'm a terran myself so of course I abuse the shit out of this as long as I can but I feel bad, every damn time, but I am too shitty of a player to come up with a better way to deal with toss.

FoxSpirit

Zefah said:
The decision to not include chatrooms, and what seems like Blizzard's ignorance towards the demand for chatrooms troubles me.

If we cry long enough, we will get them. But Blizzard believes the old implementation wasn't good. But they are also a comapny who listens to heavy community outcry. Somewhat.
I miss the olden days, no real inet, Blizz released a game which, despite all the flaws, you loved. Because it was a work of love, just with a few quirks.

But nowadays, gamers demand stuff as if they own the company. Not to mention it's a hard core acting as the majority.

watervengeance said:
I think EMP should be given to the Raven or something. It's far too easy for Terran to use EMP against Protoss, but much harder for Protoss to feedback/kill the ghost. It's even worse if the Ghost had cloak on.

EMP used to be:
- on the Science Vessel
- had to be researched

Ghosts are also much cheaper than the Science Vessel. So holy crap, they buffed EMP so much. I'm sure someone can correct me, but the only difference is the AoE effect is smaller, but units bunch up so easily making this pretty insignificant.

The fact that EMP was moved to a ground unit was essentially a nerf of the ability as it's much less mobile than it used to be. Also if I'm not mistaken, in SC1 didn't EMP completely remove shields? In SC2 I believe it removes 100 hit points of shields instead of removing it completely.

FoxSpirit

MisterAnderson said:
The fact that EMP was moved to a ground unit was essentially a nerf of the ability as it's much less mobile than it used to be. Also if I'm not mistaken, in SC1 didn't EMP completely remove shields? In SC2 I believe it removes 100 hit points of shields instead of removing it completely.

Yes it did and it was terribly brutal.

MisterAnderson said:

All your statements are true.

However, the majority of the Protoss Ground army have less than or equal to 100. The only units that have more are: Collosus, Carrier, Archon and Mothership. So yes, it pretty much shuts out every common unit in the Protoss army except for the Collosus, and even then, the Collosus is left with 50 Shields.

In SC1, Terrans were not very mobile. They mostly used Mechs. EMP was used in great effect to make the Protoss retreat and drain the energy of Arbiters. In SC2, Terrans are a lot more mobile in my opinion. A good player would retreat if they got EMPed, but Concussive Shells make it very easy to get free shots off. And it's not like Zealots have speed upgrades. They could also stim and chase them down.

Edit: Oh yeah, EMP makes Sentries useless as well. No Guardian Shield or Force Field make the Protoss Army considerably weaker.

nilbog21

Banned
6z9729.jpg

seriously who are these clowns?

Won

watervengeance said:
All your statements are true.

However, the majority of the Protoss Ground army have less than or equal to 100. The only units that have more are: Collosus, Carrier, Archon and Mothership. So yes, it pretty much shuts out every common unit in the Protoss army except for the Collosus, and even then, the Collosus is left with 50 Shields.

In SC1, Terrans were not very mobile. They mostly used Mechs. EMP was used in great effect to make the Protoss retreat and drain the energy of Arbiters. In SC2, Terrans are a lot more mobile in my opinion. A good player would retreat if they got EMPed, but Concussive Shells make it very easy to get free shots off. And it's not like Zealots have speed upgrades. They could also stim and chase them down.

Edit: Oh yeah, EMP makes Sentries useless as well. No Guardian Shield or Force Field make the Protoss Army considerably weaker.

Terran still needs it early as an option to counter Immortals.

Ingeniero

watervengeance said:

EMP used to be:
- on the Science Vessel
- had to be researched

yeah but in SC:BW protoss didnt have the overpowered collossus, inmortal and void rays.
Protoss ground force is pretty brutal with the correct mix of units and well casted spells.
Ghosts are very expensive in SC 2, totally stops your marauder pumpage and if you miss the EMP thats pretty much it.

I have been having great sucess lately with a timed marine/banshee/tank push, just before toss get collosi, kill his expo, then switch to starport + reactor and mass get vikings to snipe collosi or defend against void ray.

No marauders, no ghosts

gg

Ingeniero said:
yeah but in SC:BW protoss didnt have the overpowered collossus, inmortal and void rays.
Protoss ground force is pretty brutal with the correct mix of units and well casted spells.
Ghosts are very expensive in SC 2, totally stops your marauder pumpage and if you miss the EMP thats pretty it.

I have been haveing great sucess lately with a timed marine/banshee/tank push, just before toss get collosi, kill his expo, then switch yo starport + reactor and mass get vikings to snipe collosi or defend against void ray.

gg

Well, I'm not going to argue how "overpowered" Immortals and Collosus are, because I don't believe they are considering their costs. Most Terran players do fine without using EMP. The point is that when Terrans do use EMP, a well placed shot will destroy Protoss. On the other hand, Protoss have to actually micro themselves out of such a predicament. Feedback on High Templar is a completely different tech route than Immortals and Collosus. When you get HT, you don't get the liberty of using "overpowered" units. If you use Feedback, you really can't use Psi Storm unless you had an army of HTs.

DrLazy

Just got a beta key.

Question: Could I install the beta on my dad's computer while home on the Holiday weekend and also install it at my own apartment?

I guess I'm asking if a beta is attached to an account or to a computer

clip

DrLazy said:
Just got a beta key.

Question: Could I install the beta on my dad's computer while home on the Holiday weekend and also install it at my own apartment?

I guess I'm asking if a beta is attached to an account or to a computer

It's assigned to your B.Net account. You can play it anywhere.

Top Bottom