• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Sloegr

DrLazy said:
Just got a beta key.

Question: Could I install the beta on my dad's computer while home on the Holiday weekend and also install it at my own apartment?

I guess I'm asking if a beta is attached to an account or to a computer

Attached to the Battle.net account.

FoxSpirit

DrLazy said:
Just got a beta key.

Question: Could I install the beta on my dad's computer while home on the Holiday weekend and also install it at my own apartment?

I guess I'm asking if a beta is attached to an account or to a computer

To an account, so you could install it on multile computers.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
maniac-kun said:
On release day the blizzard forums will have like 2000 threads where people ask where the chatrooms are.

and 3000 "my american buddies have set up a private game, how do i join it?".

ghst

thanks for the laugh
DaFish said:
Lame :(

Edit: How's she doing tonight, boys?

it's just such an inconceivably boneheaded move. i can't fathom it past some bizarre megalomaniacal scheme to create some kind of digital apartheid.

or perhaps they're saving it for battlenet+. this is activision after all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Won said:
Terran still needs it early as an option to counter Immortals.
Nah just spam marines and hellions. As Terran you should have an excess of 500 mineral the entire game vs P :D

I play TvP and never bother with ghosts. (I only use them as late game support with a mech army, but never have reached late game in a 'real' match)

The early opening style of marine/ghost + marauder support feels far to fragile to 4 gate for me.

*Disclaimer I haven't played THAT many 1v1's

a176

Banned
Hazaro said:
Nah just spam marines and hellions. As Terran you should have an excess of 500 mineral the entire game vs P :D

I play TvP and never bother with ghosts. (I only use them as late game support with a mech army, but never have reached late game in a 'real' match)

The early opening style of marine/ghost + marauder support feels far to fragile to 4 gate for me.

you need ghost if you want to do a straight head to head battle in this situation. emp is very useful.

Mardil

Hazaro said:

Yeah, ghosts or bust.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
a176 said:
you need ghost if you want to do a straight head to head battle in this situation. emp is very useful.
Oh absolutely no doubt it is, but I'm just not used to getting it :lol
Plus my barracks only have reactors on them so I can spam marines. Marines are so good.

I really should try to work in a tech rax for ghosts + shield/stim upgrades into my build.

I just have found that a contain with harass can lead into a slow push that works out really well vs Protoss (Use banshees to draw back stalkers while moving forward your tank line) Keep marines in front to soak damage and kill off any air/engage stalkers before they can blink, etc. Then if the stalkers do get do your tanks throw down a PDD and unseige if you like.

Using that timing push ~10 minutes/70 food you get your expansion and shut down the protoss expansion. The Toss shouldn't have templar tech let alone storm so you only need to worry about a collosi/immortals which get chewed up by marines/tanks/banshee. If VR come out you have a good number of marines and can just swap the reactor on your barracks to your starport and get vikings + EMP. I love the 1 rax, 1 fact, 1 port build. So much flexibility.

The only start I've seen work is aggressive phoenix harass with 4 gate zealot/sentry timing attack but I don't think many Protoss can pull it off that well (it was NoNy who I saw do it).

Hazaro said:

You'd think so, but the way it usually works out is that P usually pushes RIGHT as get your natural up, and when you land your CC you should have some spare minerals to slap down bunkers. Keep a spotter in mid so you see em coming, then get some SCVs ready to auto-repair your bunker. At worst you'll lose your bunkers and the marines inside. The only time I've had any trouble is on Steppes of War, because that choke is so goddamn wide and you can't abuse any high ground

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OptimoPeach said:
You'd think so, but the way it usually works out is that P usually pushes RIGHT as get your natural up, and when you land your CC you should have some spare minerals to slap down bunkers. Keep a spotter in mid so you see em coming, then get some SCVs ready to auto-repair your bunker. At worst you'll lose your bunkers and the marines inside. The only time I've had any trouble is on Steppes of War, because that choke is so goddamn wide and you can't abuse any high ground
Yeah that's what you want to do but toss in an immortal and things can get pretty dicey.

I was going 1 rax FE into 4 rax but the same counter is there.

Zertez

watervengeance said:
Finally got myself into Gold. Next stop Platinum. Working your way up is tough work.
It is very satisfying though. Starcraft 1/2 has a steep learning curve at first in MP, but the payoff is worth it imo. Even in lower leagues you will get rolled often, but once things click you can start moving up steadily. It is tough to think of another game that has solid players in all levels. Keep some of your old replays, so you can go back and laugh at your dumb mistakes and see how much you have progressed :lol

iamblades

Early gas Ling muta build is so awesome Gas 13, pool 14, natural as soon as you have the minerals(i typically get it like at 17-18), ling speed with your first 100 gas, and as soon as your first queen pops out you will have 100 gas for lair. Soon as you get lair, you can get your second gas at your main and double gas the natural and when your spire finished you will have enough for the +1 air attack and a bunch of mutas.

It's basically sen's build from the day[9] daily 125. Sen is the fucking man.

The timings are so sweet. I keep fucking up the second OL though, and building an extra drone instead of an OL so my first queen is getting psi locked for like 10 secs cause i gotta wait for another larvae to get the OL. Need to practice that more.

cramcakes

Jokey665 said:
Heh yeah I'm in diamond 4v4 as well. Only platinum in 1v1. My 2v2 teams range from gold to diamond as well. Weird.

Nice. I just finished up my 3v3 placements as well. Diamond also. Maybe I should go back to 1v1, see if I've truly improved. I was bronze before the league adjustment patch. :/

And I reeeealllly wish they would fix the minimap problem in replays. I want two watch my gigantic mutaball destroy everything (easier).

Vaporak

Just tuned into the game, too bad it's Protoss vs Protoss. :/ Such a boring matchup. Lets hope it's a good game though.

edit: thank god no 2 gateway from both of them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
watervengeance said:
Idra is so passive. He could've doom dropped with his Roachs.
He's not going to suicide units because he knows he has won.

He's cementing his win instead of possibly throwing it away.
Won said:
Roaches are supposed to be useless! :(
They still build insanely fast, move quickly, soak damage.

If you have 40 larva saved and 3k in the bank you spam that R key and you have back to 180/200 in 23 seconds. Then you just a-move.

Vaporak

Won said:
Roaches are supposed to be useless! :(

Just shows how much people overreacted to the roach nerf. :lol

That was quite an upset by Idra there though, I thought for sure TLO was in a great position.

Zertez

All of the SC2 tournaments have been nice. When the beta goes down it is going to suck not being able to watch them on the weekends. Hopefully we will see more SC2 tournaments with a bigger pool of players when SC2 goes live.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
msv said:
Fuck, stupid ustream.

edit: Woohoo! Going via embedded TL worked. Now it suddenly works on ustream as well :/ Crappy site.
Its a lagfest for me. Funny since I had perfect stream with the HDH tourny and that had 25k people watching :lol

I just decided to do a tweak to Lotus Prime making it more 1v1 friendly and a bit roomier. It essentially removes the main path to your teammate in 2v2's, but you can still get there via the middle high ground expansion it just takes a bit longer. The important thing though is that it does away with one of the paths to the natural expansion which was an issue in 1v1's.

Before:
28r1pxz.jpg

After:
2mpc4rd.jpg

Also if it isn't obvious in the picture, the high ground expansion ledge is now completely touching the asteroid ledge of the high yield center. There used to be a gap there but I extended them all the way to make the high ground platform as large as possible since it's now the main path to your teammate's main in 2v2's.

Please let me know if you think these are good or bad changes.

Top Bottom