• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Won

Effect said:
Starcraft 2 needs I feel points on the map that can be captured and defended ala Dawn of War. The rush to the other's bases can simply boring at times. Something to draw players attentions away main bases for a while at least and that would then enable teching to higher tiers instead of simply upgrading a base. Say a Xel-Naga location is what enables a player to finally tech to air units. However if it's taken over by another player the first player loses the ability to produce anymore air units but the other person now can.

You could also just play Dawn of War then.

Zzoram

The new custom map browser is AWFUL. It shows you like 10 maps, and you have to click "Show More" to show more, but it scrolls you back up to the top so it takes forever to scroll back down and click "Show More" only to get tossed back to the top again. It's infuriating.

Also, newer versions of maps always get stuck several pages down so people end up playing old versions.

Zzoram

Effect said:
Starcraft 2 needs I feel points on the map that can be captured and defended ala Dawn of War. The rush to the other's bases can simply boring at times. Something to draw players attentions away main bases for a while at least and that would then enable teching to higher tiers instead of simply upgrading a base. Say a Xel-Naga location is what enables a player to finally tech to air units. However if it's taken over by another player the first player loses the ability to produce anymore air units but the other person now can.

Terribad idea.

Expansions draw you out of main bases. If you aren't harassing expansions, you're doing it wrong.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to stop playing Terran. I'm starting to get really bored with them.

I think I'll go with Protoss. It's going to be interesting to see how far I fall in the ladder (I'm near the top of Gold at the moment) before I can get good with the race.

spazzfish

Zerg players, when playing 3v3 what the heck do you try and aim for if it starts getting into late game. Mutas just get popped, broodlords are so expensive and time consuming and just about everything on the floor just gets smashed.
It doesn't help that I never see many zerg players now. They are either terran or protoss.
I've noticed if terran or protoss get large numbers or high up the tech tree, it's very hard for me as zerg to compete.
I end up just watching the mass battles going on as my units have within seconds been turned into zerg flambé.

spazzfish said:
Zerg players, when playing 3v3 what the heck do you try and aim for if it starts getting into late game. Mutas just get popped, broodlords are so expensive and time consuming and just about everything on the floor just gets smashed.
It doesn't help that I never see many zerg players now. They are either terran or protoss.
I've noticed if terran or protoss get large numbers or high up the tech tree, it's very hard for me as zerg to compete.
I end up just watching the mass battles going on as my units have within seconds been turned into zerg flambé.

you could always try harassing the enemy teams' economy with a proper well placed Overlord/Hydra combos, especially while your partners are fighting it out.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
spazzfish said:
I've noticed if terran or protoss get large numbers or high up the tech tree,
it's very hard for me as zerg to compete.
all tier 3 units are expensive and time consuming.

if theyre massing barriers and battlecruisers, mass up corrupters and broodlords. maybe ultralisks to wreck unprotected bases

Jokey665

Won said:
I just saw Division have "names" instead of numbers now. Good change I guess.
I've noticed that when I get placed into a division the message says one thing, but when I go and actually look at my ladder page it says something else; I got placed into "Mothership Zed" and when I went and actually looked at it, it said "Stalker Zed." Same thing happened in 2v2 just with different units.

cramcakes

spazzfish said:

Noway. I haven't lost a 3v3 or 4v4 yet where I was able to get 15-20 muta harass going. You can keep their army busy chasing you around while your team gets good position. Hit the mineral line to lure the enemy off the front line while your team hits the front.

When you get up about 40 or more they stand no chance. Any expansion goes down in about 7 seconds.

Just watch out for Thors and mass hydra and you are golden.

Kinyou

Effect said:
I don't really see a reason to wish my enemy good luck. I won't dare say have fun to anyone. Reason being is their idea of fun could be building right outside my base, proxying me or rushing to get zerglings into my base within few minutes. Why wish them luck in doing that?

Well then how about a simple thx? If you don't respond to someone who wishes you good luck... It's kinda like someone gives you his hand to shake and you simply ignore it.

coamithra

Dudes! Is this something new? I just got my ass kicked by 2 thors and an army of SCVs repairing them, and then copied that strat to great success in another game.

It's insane! You can't properly target the SCV's because the Thor is so huge, plus they heal each other as well as the Thors.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
coamithra said:
Dudes! Is this something new? I just got my ass kicked by 2 thors and an army of SCVs repairing them, and then copied that strat to great success in another game.

It's insane! You can't properly target the SCV's because the Thor is so huge, plus they heal each other as well as the Thors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP3egyvH-DU

it's all fun and games until your transitioning scvs are caught by a stalker though.

the thoritary build remedies that problem somewhat.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Effect said:
I don't really see a reason to wish my enemy good luck. I won't dare say have fun to anyone. Reason being is their idea of fun could be building right outside my base, proxying me or rushing to get zerglings into my base within few minutes. Why wish them luck in doing that? I'll only say GG if the game last for some time. If I or they have held off several attacks. If not then I see no reason to do any type of GG.

i think good luck is silly but have fun is always appropriate. that's why we live.

Effect

Kinyou said:
Well then how about a simple thx? If you don't respond to someone who wishes you good luck... It's kinda like someone gives you his hand to shake and you simply ignore it.

Why even that though? "Good luck", "have fun", or "good game" are all shallow gestures to begin with. I doubt anyone really means them anyway.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
first time doing Sunken D and won.
louseal.gif

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Effect said:
Why even that though? "Good luck", "have fun", or "good game" are all shallow gestures to begin with. I doubt anyone really means them anyway.
if the games werent good or fun we wouldnt play

Effect said:

I stopped saying GLHF after a 10+ games of no one responding. I always end up saying "GLHF!" and 20 seconds later "Or not..."

Some people think they are too pro to respond, sheesh! I also make it a fun fun setting adding more than just GLHF, usually commenting on the game or commenting on the rushes, etc etc. I don't like facing players who think they are everything and have a serious gameface.

mescalineeyes said:
My poor little (2.5 yo) macbook pro actually managed to produce playable frame-rates in a 3on3, on medium settings no less. Way to go, Blizzard! :lol

fixed ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Effect said:
I don't really see a reason to wish my enemy good luck. I won't dare say have fun to anyone. Reason being is their idea of fun could be building right outside my base, proxying me or rushing to get zerglings into my base within few minutes. Why wish them luck in doing that? I'll only say GG if the game last for some time. If I or they have held off several attacks. If not then I see no reason to do any type of GG.
eye-roll to the nth degree

Ashhong

shagg_187 said:
I stopped saying GLHF after a 10+ games of no one responding. I always end up saying "GLHF!" and 20 seconds later "Or not..."

Some people think they are too pro to respond, sheesh! I also make it a fun fun setting adding more than just GLHF, usually commenting on the game or commenting on the rushes, etc etc. I don't like facing players who think they are everything and have a serious gameface.

fixed ;)

Blizzards mac client still sucks balls. i cant even load a game if i have firefox open, because apparently sc2 needs all of my resources. im on a 13" mbp, which should at least be able to open the map.

Ashhong said:
Blizzards mac client still sucks balls. i cant even load a game if i have firefox open, because apparently sc2 needs all of my resources. im on a 13" mbp, which should at least be able to open the map.

why are you using Firefox in the first place?
that thing eats ram for breakfast.

Zzoram

Effect said:

At the end of a typical sports game they all shake hands and say something along the lines of good game. That's probably why Koreans do it, and why the top foreign players adopted it.

FoxSpirit

I just think I slightly pissed off some guy. Stalled the game for like 25 minutes as it went to the 40 minutes mark. But to be honest, I had no scouting and he simply didn't steamroll in like forever. How could I simply concede?

"gg"
"So why don't you just leave then?"
"A nicer reply would have been... nice."
"gg"

I quit just as he destroys my last building.

aznpxdd

I used to say GL, HF in the lobby before the game started in SC1. But yeah, I don't care enough that I'm gonna "type all" - GL HF once the game starts. People are too big of drama queens, who the fuck cares if someone says GG or not?

Spl1nter

aznpxdd said:
I used to say GL, HF in the lobby before the game started in SC1. But yeah, I don't care enough that I'm gonna "type all" - GL HF once the game starts. People are too big of drama queens, who the fuck cares if someone says GG or not?

Doesnt help that the lobby is shit and restricts chat with it being so small on the screen.

Well, I've thrown down my sheckles for a copy of Starcraft II, didn't get a beta code but I imagine that's because I live in Canuckistan or because I pre-ordered the game at EB. I've got to admit I'm a bit intimidated given that I have never played Starcraft and only played Warcraft 2 briefly back in the day. I'm going to get detroyed by some 12 year old South Korean kid the first time I go online.

FoxSpirit

We heard that chatrooms will come in one form or another. I'll be waiting for that. Maybe there'll also be a verified LAN which requires an initial bnet sign in.

But Blizzard has been so silent, so people petition it. I decided to stay away until launch, plenty of time to go down with some changes.

Top Bottom