• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zertez

Vaporak said:
Just shows how much people overreacted to the roach nerf. :lol

That was quite an upset by Idra there though, I thought for sure TLO was in a great position.
Roaches are far from useless, but their usage in later games is limited. A late game zerg army with Roaches as the backbone is at a big disadvantage to other races. It isnt uncommon to see a midgame Roach army on max food and the other races are sitting on 120ish food with an army of similar size. As the other races progress to a max army size, is when the Roach nerf really hurts. Unless a Zerg player has the clear edge in macro at that point, it is going to be tough to win.

Idra made the Roaches work because his macro/micro dominated TLO in that game. He had bases everywhere with 3k income along with several hatcheries with 18 larva ready to go when his forces died. Even when his Roaches, Corruptors or Broodlords died, he could easily replace them in seconds. If he had fewer bases and less larva, he would have gotten rolled. TLO is a great random player, but his micro/macro skill level for each race is not as good as some other SC2 players. Maybe if he concentrated on one race, it could help, but I hope he doesnt switch to one race. Watching TLO go random and use creative builds make his games fun to watch, even though he losses. TLO is probably my favorite player to watch in SC2, because he is so unpredictable in his builds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
watervengeance said:
Damn, who is this Tester guy? I don't think I've ever seen him play before.
Former progamer and coach of the eSTRO team.

I don't think he works for Blizzard... or possibly he does.
And yeah he's on the Asia server so not much coverage from us. Glad to see him finally play, same with Maka last night.

watervengeance said:
Damn, who is this Tester guy? I don't think I've ever seen him play before.

That is because he is not from the EU or US servers. The servers he play's on the Bronze level players would woop the ass of the majority of US/EU Plat/Dia players. He is also a SCII coder too IIRC.

Got this funny fake email:

world of warcraft: Cataclysm Beta Test Invitation!

Get those opt-ins ready for the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm closed beta! The sundering of Azeroth is nigh, and you don’t want to be left out in the cold of Northrend when you could be enjoying the sun-drenched beaches on the goblin isle of Kezan. To ensure you’re opted-in and eligible as a potential candidate, you’ll need a World of Warcraft license attached to your Battle.net account, have your current system specifications uploaded to the Battle.net Beta Profile Settings page, and have expressed interest through the franchise-specific check boxes.

Get the Installer - Log in to your Battle.net account:

*******LINK-WITH-SPYWARE******

** IMPORTANT ** To avoid graphical bugs and other technical issues, please ensure your video card drivers are up-to-date.

Enjoy the game!

?2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Anyone got any tips for scouting effectively with zerg?

The only thing I can think of is suicide overlord into a base...I tried changling but I don't find it all that effective tbh.

DaFish

F#A#Oo said:

The only thing I can think of is suicide overlord into a base...I tried changling but I don't find it all that effective tbh.

Would like to know as well

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
F#A#Oo said:

i suppose a burrowed roach?

and changlings work pretty well i think

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
watervengeance said:
I always lose when my opponent goes Air.

Even though I scout it, I can never get the proper defenses for it fast enough. Sigh...

:(
air in general?

turret/cannon/spore for banshees
hydra/marines/stalkers for void rays

i think that's correct

-COOLIO- said:
air in general?

turret/cannon/spore for banshees
hydra/marines/stalkers for void rays

i think that's correct

Banshees I'm not that worried about. I usually lose to Void Rays if the player hides behind cannons and masses up VRs before attacking. Even if I have enough Stalkers to take care of them, they can probably destroy my Nexus before I can take care of them all. Mutalisks are the worst, because I have a bad habit of getting Immortal before Observer, delays scouting and lowers my Stalker/Sentry count. Then the enemy mass produces Mutalisks and I get owned.

I usually understand what I did wrong, it's just that I have bad habits that I need to fix. I do absolutely fine if it's a Ground Battle. :lol

And no, I never get static defenses. I feel like they're a waste of resources.

Vaporak

watervengeance said:
Banshees I'm not that worried about. I usually lose to Void Rays if the player hides behind cannons and masses up VRs before attacking. Even if I have enough Stalkers to take care of them, they can probably destroy my Nexus before I can take care of them all. Mutalisks are the worst, because I have a bad habit of getting Immortal before Observer, delays scouting and lowers my Stalker/Sentry count. Then the enemy mass produces Mutalisks and I get owned.

I usually understand what I did wrong, it's just that I have bad habits that I need to fix. I do absolutely fine if it's a Ground Battle. :lol

If you're protoss and scout the other guy going voidray you should immediately warp in some stalkers to defend against the first harass, and throw down a stargate of your own to go phoenix so you can permanently deal with the voidrays and take air control.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
watervengeance said:

turrets for countering mutas/banshees is a pretty accepted tactics. even for pros.

Vaporak said:
If you're protoss and scout the other guy going voidray you should immediately warp in some stalkers to defend against the first harass, and throw down a stargate of your own to go phoenix so you can permanently deal with the voidrays and take air control.

Oh no, I do get mass Stalkers and Phoenix. I mostly get owned by surprise attacks from an awkward angle and slow reaction on my part. :lol

Air units in small numbers is easy to counter. It's when they come in bulk that gets me because they destroy things so fast.

spoon!

watervengeance said:

You should be thinking of static defenses as a way of transitioning into a timing attack/counter push. Once you've fended off their air harrass, you'll have a space of time where you should be able to counter push into their base.

The opponent will usually be using the air harrass to transition into an expansion. So, when you scout early air, your goal will usually be to 1) fend off their air attack, followed by 2) return damage before they can benefit from their expansion.

Why are cannons important then? Because there isn't much choice in the Protoss army to deal with air which doesn't involve a lot of gas. Instead of spamming everything you have into stalkers, you can throw up a few cannons to balance out your resource distribution and get more shit like colossus/immortals/delay for phoenix.

LowParry

Tech question:

Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Before I had Vista Home 32 bit. When I ran SC2 on Vista, I could get all the sounds with the start up menu, etc.. Now with Win7, I don't get that start up menu sounds. In game I get everything. Anyone else experience this?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
CcrooK said:
Tech question:

Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Before I had Vista Home 32 bit. When I ran SC2 on Vista, I could get all the sounds with the start up menu, etc.. Now with Win7, I don't get that start up menu sounds. In game I get everything. Anyone else experience this?
Whens the last time you played? Last patch removed alot of the battle.net noises for me.

LowParry

Corran Horn said:
Whens the last time you played? Last patch removed alot of the battle.net noises for me.

That may be it perhaps. It was probably about 2 patches ago that I last played. Maybe that's just it with battle.net. Everything else I have for games play just fine with sound. So probably just the SC2 client or whatever.

CcrooK said:
That may be it perhaps. It was probably about 2 patches ago that I last played. Maybe that's just it with battle.net. Everything else I have for games play just fine with sound. So probably just the SC2 client or whatever.
Nope, latest patch pretty much removed 90% of the sounds from the whole game.

LowParry

FromTheFuture said:
Nope, latest patch pretty much removed 90% of the sounds from the whole game.

Wow. That's crazy. Well that makes me feel better. Thought it had something to do with my hardware or something very strange.

Well I just had the most irritating glitch... my minimap was removed entirely when the game started. Basically I could see other pings, but if i tried to interact with it, it would either send the main screen directly to the bottom left corner, or my pings would ping there. Makes me realize how important that thing is. Game was literally unplayable.

hKxM7.jpg

Arrrghhh, why do I always get either rushed extremely early or cheesed? That's the most annoying thing ever. In Sliver league people seemingly only know proxy Pylon Zealot rush, 6-pool or Barracks in front of your base. Either I lose to it and I'm frustrated or I shut it down and I win in like 6 minutes. Even though winning against cheese is satisfying, the games hardly ever go for more that 10 minutes. I do know what I need to do against those strategies but it doesn't always work out.. like just now, some Random player 6-pooled me and even though I think I got the timing down pretty okay, it was just way too many zerglings. D:

NIN90

close to the edge said:
Arrrghhh, why do I always get either rushed extremely early or cheesed? That's the most annoying thing ever. In Sliver league people seemingly only know proxy Pylon Zealot rush, 6-pool or Barracks in front of your base. Either I lose to it and I'm frustrated or I shut it down and I win in like 6 minutes. Even though winning against cheese is satisfying, the games hardly ever go for more that 10 minutes. I do know what I need to do against those strategies but it doesn't always work out.. like just now, some Random player 6-pooled me and even though I think I got the timing down pretty okay, it was just way too many zerglings. D:

Play with gaffers. :)
What's your region? EU?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nobody even gg's anymore. >_>

also everyone cries when they lose to zerglings. i did a 14pool 16hatch into speedling, won, and still had it called cheese. bah. geez b.net, if i have a lair and an expand over you, you cant say i did an all in. -.-

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
have blizz said what they're going to do with the multiplayer pool once the heart of the swarm and the protoss one is released?

I take it you'll need the 'expansions' to play on the main battlenet servers?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Rez said:
have blizz said what they're going to do with the multiplayer pool once the heart of the swarm and the protoss one is released?

wanna take bets on heart of the swarm being multiplayer backwards compatible like brood war is?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
watervengeance said:

I've seen a guy do that before. When I scouted I saw his first building was a forge, followed by a few cannons. I immediately expanded since I figured he wouldn't be able to do anything about it. By the time he showed up with a few void rays, I had at least as many void rays as well as a sizable ground army, and he just left.

close to the edge said:
http://krakken.net/livestream/indexsmall.html

Currently TheLittleOne vs Sen, Sen is up 3-2 I believe (Bo7). It's a restream of the Chinese stream, you have to install some weird plug-in for their stream to work, so this is easier.

Games are done,
Sen won, 4-3.
. Nice games.. definitely going to get the replays of that as soon as possible.
The replays of that get uploaded? Where do you get them?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rez said:

It'll be just like with Blizzard's other games. They'll have separate servers for people with and without the expansions. You won't be required to buy the expansions to play online, but you probably should get them anyway.

Kinyou

Pandaman said:
nobody even gg's anymore. >_>

also everyone cries when they lose to zerglings. i did a 14pool 16hatch into speedling, won, and still had it called cheese. bah. geez b.net, if i have a lair and an expand over you, you cant say i did an all in. -.-

Many don't even respond to the "gl & hf" in the beginning of the match...

Btw. I really want my Chatrooms back. At the moment the only way to get a decent 2vs2 partner is too find someone at a forum.

Effect

I don't really see a reason to wish my enemy good luck. I won't dare say have fun to anyone. Reason being is their idea of fun could be building right outside my base, proxying me or rushing to get zerglings into my base within few minutes. Why wish them luck in doing that? I'll only say GG if the game last for some time. If I or they have held off several attacks. If not then I see no reason to do any type of GG.

Starcraft 2 needs I feel points on the map that can be captured and defended ala Dawn of War. The rush to the other's bases can simply boring at times. Something to draw players attentions away main bases for a while at least and that would then enable teching to higher tiers instead of simply upgrading a base. Say a Xel-Naga location is what enables a player to finally tech to air units. However if it's taken over by another player the first player loses the ability to produce anymore air units but the other person now can.

Top Bottom