• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a long-standing history with PC gaming: chat-rooms and the like can project a super cliquish vibe from the second a new player (not necessarily 'casual', mind you) logs on.

it's psychological, they want the environment to feel as welcoming as possible. they want to be in control of as much of the user-experience as possible. I don't think that's something to be scared of right off the bat, this isn't, I don't know, some restrictive IW.net bullshit. most of the core-functionality is still there, it's just presented in a different way.

I can see why people might be pissed that their long-standing and mostly efficient systems are being taken away, but it isn't like -- with the exception of the lack of LAN and region locking which I'm not trying to defend here -- Blizz are going all streamlined console-gaming on us with this, they're just hanging up some nice curtains so that people like me will stick with the game long enough to love it. Trying to build a giant userbase is mutually beneficial.

I might be missing a giant elephant here, feel free to point it out, but the general Battle.net 2 structure seems really damn nice to me. Finding a compromise between building a game that accommodates extremely-high level play but is also welcoming to as many people as possible seems like the most logical goal in the development of a game like this. I'm not trying to be an assholish authority on this, btw, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong and I'll listen.

Ashhong

I disagree completely. Chatrooms are just a nice and convenient way to meet up with my friends, or GAF members. Right now you have to have someone invite you to a GAF chat, and you can only do that if theres one going on and if someone has you on their list.

If it was SC1, everybody would just press "Join Chat Room" type GAF, and then voila. Theres no reason for any player to feel intimidated with this in place...

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Mutas are overp\owerd, i say it and stand by it 100% its rediculous

As a terran i build turrets, vikings, thors (3) and a shitload of stimmed marines and BAM 15 mutas take down the whole base, i cannot understand how you defeat them when they take so much to kill and can damage air and ground.

Rez said:
from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a long-standing history with PC gaming: chat-rooms and the like can project a super cliquish vibe from the second a new player (not necessarily 'casual', mind you) logs on.

it's psychological, they want the environment to feel as welcoming as possible. they want to be in control of as much of the user-experience as possible. I don't think that's something to be scared of right off the bat, this isn't, I don't know, some restrictive IW.net bullshit. most of the core-functionality is still there, it's just presented in a different way.

I can see why people might be pissed that their long-standing and mostly efficient systems are being taken away, but it isn't like -- with the exception of the lack of LAN and region locking which I'm not trying to defend here -- Blizz are going all streamlined console-gaming on us with this, they're just hanging up some nice curtains so that people like me will stick with the game long enough to love it. Trying to build a giant userbase is mutually beneficial.

I might be missing a giant elephant here, feel free to point it out, but the general Battle.net 2 structure seems really damn nice to me. Finding a compromise between building a game that accommodates extremely-high level play but is also welcoming to as many people as possible seems like the most logical goal in the development of a game like this. I'm not trying to be an assholish authority on this, btw, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong and I'll listen.

The point is that Blizzard is ignoring what the majority wants. There is absolutely no cons to having a chatroom system. They don't necessarily have to do it the same way they did in the original BNet (where it comes up immediately as you log on), but rather put it in another tab at the top. If a player doesn't want to see the chatroom at all, they won't ever have to.

I can look past the lack of LAN and Cross Regional play, but they don't even have a reason for not implementing chatrooms. Unless there's some kind of programming issue they can't tell us, I just don't see a reason for not including it.

Mr Cola said:

As a terran i build turrets, vikings, thors (3) and a shitload of stimmed marines and BAM 15 mutas take down the whole base, i cannot understand how you defeat them when they take so much to kill and can damage air and ground.

They're not overpowered. They're just really hard to stop if you let the enemy mass produce them without doing anything in response.

And yes, Mutalisks are the bane of my existence.

If you scout them early, just run into his base and destroy him. Mutalisks are very weak in small numbers. Odds are, the enemy will only have lings, which aren't that hard to deal with.

Zertez

yanhero said:
How long does it usually take Day9 to post his daily videos in his archive? I missed the Tester footage :(
I dont think the Tester footage was part of his daily. He was announcing the tournament with Chill. Normally he has his dailys up later in the evening and sometimes it takes a day. I imagine the footage of the tournament will be up around the middle of the week. He may save it for when beta goes down though, so he can do some dailys on the games.

Sloegr

jaundicejuice said:
Well, I've thrown down my sheckles for a copy of Starcraft II, didn't get a beta code but I imagine that's because I live in Canuckistan or because I pre-ordered the game at EB. I've got to admit I'm a bit intimidated given that I have never played Starcraft and only played Warcraft 2 briefly back in the day. I'm going to get detroyed by some 12 year old South Korean kid the first time I go online.

Only if he has a NA Battle.net account!

Trin3785 said:

For the game you lost:

-Don't try to break a turtling Terran through the front door. If the Terran turtles, just mass expand and outmacro him. You were ahead the entire game until the Banshees came and killed you. Get detection and don't leave your base unprotected. Personally, I always leave a few antiair units behind just in case.

-Desert Oasis is a map where air units really excel, so always be prepared for them.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Rez said:

for me, the elephant here is letting me play against whoever i want to play against, regardless of if we share a common geographical bond. i'm refusing to call it "cross regional play" like that's even worthy of a bullet point.

the curtains are nice, sure, just a shame nobody wants to clean the cat's piss off them.

Won

Mr Cola said:

Turrets alone should take care of any Muta harassment by themselves. Don't forget that there are upgrades in the engineering bay and that you can repair them while they are being attacked.

But yeah they are overpowered.

Rez said:

There are plenty of examples, from organizing tournaments to just having a place for a bigger community to gather, why chatrooms are such a necessity, but I'm too lazy to write them down.

It imo really boils down to the fact that Blizzard normally delivers quality. They did a lot of silly things in the past, but in the end they delivered. The multiplayer game so far plays and feels great and the singleplayer also shapes up to be something awesome.
But battle.net 2.0? Currently it's a straight downgrade from Warcraft 3's b.net and that came out in 2002. Doesn't help that S2 games delivered something much much better with Heroes of Newerth's online setup with probably much less ressources recently.
It's just impossible to find something positive about b.net 2.0.

KuroNeeko

Ashhong said:

Man Ashhong, your avatar is so distracting.
Don't ever change it!

Question:

I know the beta version of the game is divided into regions with each region's players restricted to matches within that region (e.g. NA-NA, EU-EU only.) Has there been any word about whether this will be final or not?

I'm in Japan and if past titles are anything to go by, we'll default to Asia which is fine, but I'd like the option to play against NA / EU players as well since a) writing in asian languages using english text is a royal pain and b) the japanese release of the game will probably be months after other countries get their copies.

Zertez said:
I dont think the Tester footage was part of his daily. He was announcing the tournament with Chill. Normally he has his dailys up later in the evening and sometimes it takes a day. I imagine the footage of the tournament will be up around the middle of the week. He may save it for when beta goes down though, so he can do some dailys on the games.

What about that MSL final? Does anyone know if that will get posted as an archive or VOD at some point?

Ashhong

KuroNeeko said:
Man Ashhong, your avatar is so distracting.
Don't ever change it!

Question:

I know the beta version of the game is divided into regions with each region's players restricted to matches within that region (e.g. NA-NA, EU-EU only.) Has there been any word about whether this will be final or not?

I'm in Japan and if past titles are anything to go by, we'll default to Asia which is fine, but I'd like the option to play against NA / EU players as well since a) writing in asian languages using english text is a royal pain and b) the japanese release of the game will probably be months after other countries get their copies.

lol, i might go back to my rotating avatars soon (they change with every refresh)

so far the plans are to keep it separated by region. if you want to play again US players you need to buy another copy of SC2

KuroNeeko

Ashhong said:
so far the plans are to keep it separated by region. if you want to play again US players you need to buy another copy of SC2

But will that region be decided by your actual internet settings / connection or your version of Starcraft 2? If I import the NA version and play from Japan, will I need to connect to asian or NA servers?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Won said:
Turrets alone should take care of any Muta harassment by themselves. Don't forget that there are upgrades in the engineering bay and that you can repair them while they are being attacked.

But yeah they are overpowered.

There are plenty of examples, from organizing tournaments to just having a place for a bigger community to gather, why chatrooms are such a necessity, but I'm too lazy to write them down.

It imo really boils down to the fact that Blizzard normally delivers quality. They did a lot of silly things in the past, but in the end they delivered. The multiplayer game so far plays and feels great and the singleplayer also shapes up to be something awesome.
But battle.net 2.0? Currently it's a straight downgrade from Warcraft 3's b.net and that came out in 2002. Doesn't help that S2 games delivered something much much better with Heroes of Newerth's online setup with probably much less ressources recently.
It's just impossible to find something positive about b.net 2.0.
3 times now i have had a zerg by the nuts and BAM he pulls mutas out and its insta rape

Even if i prepare for it, marines and vikings, its rape, they can just mass the fuckers and be done with it, theres nothing you can do unless you get a jump start on them and kill them before they can come out, but that doesnt seem in any sense fair. Why should one race have a unit that forces such a grand economic investment to counter IF you can scout it and IF you can build up enough it time, doing so stops you from expanding and puts to rest any thoughts of attacking them. Personally i think mutas are a rediculous unit, and the zergs get out of jail free card.

Zertez

The Tester games were not very exciting to watch. He crushed the competition, it wasnt even close. As easily as Idra has dominated other tournaments, it was a little surprising to see him look like a silver player. They are worth checking out to see how good Testers play is, but overall the games were not entertaining.

Won

Mr Cola said:
3 times now i have had a zerg by the nuts and BAM he pulls mutas out and its insta rape

Even if i prepare for it, marines and vikings, its rape, they can just mass the fuckers and be done with it, theres nothing you can do unless you get a jump start on them and kill them before they can come out, but that doesnt seem in any sense fair. Why should one race have a unit that forces such a grand economic investment to counter IF you can scout it and IF you can build up enough it time, doing so stops you from expanding and puts to rest any thoughts of attacking them. Personally i think mutas are a rediculous unit, and the zergs get out of jail free card.

All races have an air to ground unit, which will outright win the game, if you don't scout the tech and prepare for it. Banshees can be especially ridiculous.

Sadly I can't load old replays or else I would show you how a single turret rips apart a group Mutas. :p

Generally you want to play mech against Zerg anyway. An early Thor solves a lot of problems in that match-up. It's good against pretty much everything Zerg builds in early to mid game.

Jokey665

Won said:
Generally you want to play mech against Zerg anyway. An early Thor solves a lot of problems in that match-up. It's good against pretty much everything Zerg builds in early to mid game.
Unless that zerg is Sen, in which case he goes pure muta against you and rips your thor army to shreds somehow...

Yaweee

Is there something I'm missing? From my experience, the post-AoE-buff thors fuck the shit out of mass mutas. Isn't a Thor less cost than just three mutas?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
watervengeance said:
For the game you lost:

-Don't try to break a turtling Terran through the front door. If the Terran turtles, just mass expand and outmacro him. You were ahead the entire game until the Banshees came and killed you. Get detection and don't leave your base unprotected. Personally, I always leave a few antiair units behind just in case.

-Desert Oasis is a map where air units really excel, so always be prepared for them.

thanks for the help from both you guys!

Zertez

Yaweee said:
Is there something I'm missing? From my experience, the post-AoE-buff thors fuck the shit out of mass mutas. Isn't a Thor less cost than just three mutas?
Thors destroy Mutas, unless the Zerg player has a ton of Mutas and micros them well to avoid the aoe dmg. If you let a Zerg player mass 15 or 20 Mutas, there isnt a whole lot you can do. It is the same with a lot of mass units. Keep harassing with a mech build and you will roll Zerg players. There isnt a lot Zerg players can do against mech builds right now.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I just did the thor build and won three 2on2's practically on my own :lol :lol only one opponent managed to fight them off a bit but reinforcements came and overwhelmed him.

Mr Cola

Zertez said:
Thors destroy Mutas, unless the Zerg player has a ton of Mutas and micros them well to avoid the aoe dmg. If you let a Zerg player mass 15 or 20 Mutas, there isnt a whole lot you can do. It is the same with a lot of mass units. Keep harassing with a mech build and you will roll Zerg players. There isnt a lot Zerg players can do against mech builds right now.
Thors are out the question when they go so early, every game ive lost tonight has been to mutas, every single one. I know it sounds bitter tears but it just seems like playing the win card, and worse is most of the zergs in my division know it, every game is mass mutas, and every game i try as early as possible to counter it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mr Cola said:
Thors are out the question when they go so early, every game ive lost tonight has been to mutas, every single one. I know it sounds bitter tears but it just seems like playing the win card, and worse is most of the zergs in my division know it, every game is mass mutas, and every game i try as early as possible to counter it.
Post 3 replays of you losing to mutas where you played well.

Note I usually play 1/1/1 or mech so if you go Bio I don't know how much help I'll be.

Yaweee

Mr Cola said:

A single Reactor'ed Barracks spamming marines with the appropriate Tech Lab upgrades doesn't work? It should... stimmed and focus-firing marines chew through mutalisks.

If he's rushing Lair, it should be obvious that he's going fast Mutas, which is a giant green light to start pumping marines (which also counter hydras pretty well) if you don't have Thor capabilities yet.

Zertez

Mr Cola said:
With a double factory, you should be able to get out more than enough Thors to counter the Mutas in time. If you use the factories for Hellions and pump some Marines out of your barracks early game, you should be more than fine when his Mutas come in. Use the Hellions to harass him. Army of Mutas require a considerable investment in gas, so deny him the gas.

What do you define as mass Mutas? By the time a Zerg players has enough gas and time to tech to Mutas, you have more than enough time to prepare for it. Scout out his base more and if you see him avoiding other techs to race to Mutas, lay down some Turrets and pump out some Thors. It sounds like maybe you prepared a different kind of army to kill him, and it wasnt capable of handling Mutas. Once he has massed the Mutas, there isnt a lot you can do to win if you did not prepare some.

Mr Cola

Hazaro said:
Post 3 replays of you losing to mutas where you played well.

Note I usually play 1/1/1 or mech so if you go Bio I don't know how much help I'll be.
I have lost 5 games this evening to mutas, every game ive gone 2rax, factory, starport with tech, 1 rax with tech and 1 port with tech pumping vikings and marines BOOM mutas go and take out my mineral line. I have to divide forces so that the inevitable ling rush doesnt take my wall, but if there is sufficient mutas they just take the hit and take out my forces at the front or back. I cant build the 2 rax, factory, port, engineering bay, turrets and enough units before they arrive. I kid you not, the last 5 times playing zerg this has happened, its as if there is some secret going around "here do this=win" and its galling to say the least.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mr Cola said:
I have lost 5 games this evening to mutas, every game ive gone 2rax, factory, starport with tech, 1 rax with tech and 1 port with tech pumping vikings and marines BOOM mutas go and take out my mineral line. I have to divide forces so that the inevitable ling rush doesnt take my wall, but if there is sufficient mutas they just take the hit and take out my forces at the front or back. I cant build the 2 rax, factory, port, engineering bay, turrets and enough units before they arrive. I kid you not, the last 5 times playing zerg this has happened, its as if there is some secret going around "here do this=win" and its galling to say the least.
So upload those 5 games to mediafire in a .rar

I find it hard to believe that there was no point in time where you could have done something.

Zertez

Mr Cola said:
If he is just focusing on Mutas, you are going to lose the majority of the time going with all those buildings and tech. If he is just focusing on one tech, you need to spend a lot of your resources on the counter to it. Prepare your army for the counter attack, after his Mutas are dead. It sounds like your opponents are specializing and you are not, and when he comes to attack you are in no position to fight him off. Scout his base early and often, then use that information to dictate your moves. If you are turtling and not bothering to scout, you are going to lose a lot.

Mr Cola

Zertez said:
If he is just focusing on Mutas, you are going to lose the majority of the time going with all those buildings and tech. If he is just focusing on one tech, you need to spend a lot of your resources on the counter to it. Prepare your army for the counter attack, after his Mutas are dead. It sounds like your opponents are specializing and you are not, and when he comes to attack you are in no position to fight him off. Scout his base early and often, then use that information to dictate your moves. If you are turtling and not bothering to scout, you are going to lose a lot.
My problem is indeed that all my opponents are going full mutas and i am trying to put a little on the side, siege tanks, for the counter if i can repel it. But yeah i think ill hold the siege and go straight for thors now. I am scouting good, i notice the double gas, the spire i just need to commit more to it. Im just angry at the moment, it feels cheap but thats the way it is.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mr Cola said:
My problem is indeed that all my opponents are going full mutas and i am trying to put a little on the side, siege tanks, for the counter if i can repel it. But yeah i think ill hold the siege and go straight for thors now. I am scouting good, i notice the double gas, the spire i just need to commit more to it. Im just angry at the moment, it feels cheap but thats the way it is.
Try to do damage with some early hellions (Just 1 or 2) and infantry. A spine crawler is pretty weak and killing off some drones (Or forcing them to make spines) they already are sacrificing for gas income and tech hurts.

Post some replays! I want to see what Zergs do with fast mutas.

Mr Cola

Hazaro said:
Try to do damage with some early hellions (Just 1 or 2) and infantry. A spine crawler is pretty weak and killing off some drones (Or forcing them to make spines) they already are sacrificing for gas income and tech hurts.

Post some replays! I want to see what Zergs do with fast mutas.
I cant be arsed to upload them, ive never gone with helions before, they always seemed so weak. Whats the build order for them like? For early harass

Zertez

Mr Cola said:
Sadly that is the way can be at times. It is sort of like Terrans massing Banshees, and Toss massing Void Rays. If you dont scout it early and allow someone to build up 12 plus Mutas, Void Rays or Banshees with little defenses, it is going to be over quick. If you have a feeling he is going for mass Mutas, prepare your defense, but keep the counter attack in mind when his Mutas are toast. Once you shoot down his Mutas, unless he has 3 bases, it is going to be tough for him to mass them right away. Use this time to attack him from the ground since he neglected his infantry. A mech build with the majority of factory units, Hellions, Tanks and Thors is tough as hell for a Zerg player to fight off in the midgame and even the late game is a huge headache. I have yet to figure it out after countless tries.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mr Cola said:
I cant be arsed to upload them, ive never gone with helions before, they always seemed so weak. Whats the build order for them like? For early harass
Depends how early. Usually you'll get a rax, gas, reactor on rax, factory -> fly to reactor and pump out 2 hellions to go screw with Zerg.

Hellions decimate drones, lings, blings, and can annoy roaches if microed in numbers (plus run around them to kill workers).

From there you have a factory and rax and can ecide whether you want some marauders (to kill roaches defending + spines before they have mutas) or tech up to thors / banshees or whatever you want.

The point is that you'll be in Zerg's face so much they CAN'T afford to tech to mutas or they will just lose. You pretty much deny the Zerg expo (gl trying to go muta off 1 base gas and having more than 8) let alone with any ground unit support. If Zerg decides to go ground Terran basically auto wins with mard/tank/hellion (run 2 factories) and the ability to quickly pump thors out of 2 fact if they do go muta (You'll want to expo when you push).

imo playing as Z vs Terran the only way to actually win is to mass muta. Everything just else loses.

Kagami

As much as I love the actual SC2 gameplay, I have a sinking feeling this is going to be the game that sours me on Blizzard.

DRM activation even for single player, no offline LAN (b.net down? too bad!), no way for guests to play on a LAN without product-key-linked B.net accounts (Do you want to lend people your account at a party? Do you want to enter your b.net credentials on someone else's malware-infested machine?), hard region segregation, limited "map publishing," completely out of touch with what players want in chat rooms.

Blizzard, what happened to you man? You used to be cool.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Mr Cola said:
if he had the time and money to cut units and tech to mutas, you obviously didnt have him by the balls.

you were probably only 'winning' at the time because he was teching to mutas.

JoeMartin

Single base muta play is becoming pretty popular in my division as well, tho it's far from being impossible to defend, especially with a 1/1/1 build.

The first thing that needs to happen is scouting it. The obvious warning signs should be: no expo, low ling count, double gas, fast lair - and obviously the eventual spire.

Your obvious counter is the Thor, but getting there takes time, but that's not a problem since a good traditional TvZ opening (marine hellion) transitions right into it nicely. While starting the 1/1/1 build you'll have good potential for early marine/hellion (blueion upgrade is 100% necessary) aggression and will force ling/drone production, slowing him down a bit.

Once your 1/1/1 is done start an armory to get your first thor out, and continue marine/viking production as your econ allows, in addition to more raxes.

From there it should be pretty easy. Getting thors/vikings out in time to defend the initial muta play should be enough to discourage any further muta play. Once your second thor pops you can take a healthy marine/blueion/thor/viking push out.

Zertez

JoeMartin said:
Single base muta play is becoming pretty popular in my division as well, tho it's far from being impossible to defend, especially with a 1/1/1 build.

The first thing that needs to happen is scouting it. The obvious warning signs should be: no expo, low ling count, double gas, fast lair - and obviously the eventual spire.

Your obvious counter is the Thor, but getting there takes time, but that's not a problem since a good traditional TvZ opening (marine hellion) transitions right into it nicely. While starting the 1/1/1 build you'll have good potential for early marine/hellion (blueion upgrade is 100% necessary) aggression and will force ling/drone production, slowing him down a bit.

Once your 1/1/1 is done start an armory to get your first thor out, and continue marine/viking production as your econ allows, in addition to more raxes.

From there it should be pretty easy. Getting thors/vikings out in time to defend the initial muta play should be enough to discourage any further muta play. Once your second thor pops you can take a healthy marine/blueion/thor/viking push out.
1/1/1 is a solid opener. A lot of top Terran players use it. It offers a ton of flexibility and it is easy to adjust for whatever the other player builds. You are really reliant on scouting though, and if you do not scout, you will not get the most out of it. Once you have scouted then build a second building when you have determined which units you need. I think this is the one thing Im envious of when playing against Terrans as Zerg. Terran has a lot of versatility and can change things up quick.

scottnak

Damn. These people I play against are too good :( I can't handle this super-fast play. I need more practice but... damnit i can't get it! Haha.

JoeMartin

One rax, one factory, one starport opening for Terran.

Provides a lot of flexibility for T early game as it leaves most tech options wide open, and with good scouting allows you to be brutally aggressive early.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
JoeMartin said:
One rax, one factory, one starport opening for Terran.

Provides a lot of flexibility for T early game as it leaves most tech options wide open, and with good scouting allows you to be brutally aggressive early.
i dont see how you could be brutally aggressive if youre getting a little bit of everything early on.

Stryder

-COOLIO- said:
i dont see how you could be brutally aggressive if youre getting a little bit of everything early on.
If you scout your opponent and spot a weakness (such as no anti-air, no detection) you can capitalize on that by quickly producing a couple of units to exploit that.

I find it a nice quick way to get some cloaked banshees going if it looks opportune.

Just skimmimg through this thread and reading the shop talk is kind of scary, like diving into Counter-Strike for the first time in 1.6 , not knowing shit about shit and going up against players with years of experience. Straight up deep, murky waters.

Zertez

-COOLIO- said:
You dont really get a little bit of everything, so much as have open options. Once you scout and find your opponents weakness, then you build the units to exploit the opening. That is why it is brutally aggressive. In the early game a lot of players have a weakness you can take advantage of. When you have the buildings already up and ready to produce, it is a quick transition to his front door with the right units. Rather than scout, then get the building up, and finally produce the unit, it is nice to put all 3 up. Even if you dont end up using the building in the early stages, when the mid to late game rolls around it is nice to have a well rounded army. 1/1/1 is reliant on scouting though, without the scout information the versatility isnt as helpful.

Top Bottom